Hmmm..this sucks. Busted head gasket? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm..this sucks. Busted head gasket?

Detectorist
12-22-2012, 09:39
If it is, I'm screwed. No money for repair or another car.

Yesterday checked my oil and it had a few whitish streaks on the dip stick. Checked my coolant and there was brown gunk around the filler neck....

This morning, no white streaks on dip stick but still have brown gunk around the radiator filler neck.

Mechanics, am I screwed?

Rick305
12-22-2012, 09:41
Maybe it blew itself because it couldn't stand being in the car with a high point ..;

(had to)

Restless28
12-22-2012, 09:41

Yesterday checked my oil and it had a few whitish streaks on the dip stick. Checked my coolant and there was brown gunk around the filler neck....

This morning, no white streaks on dip stick but still have brown gunk around the radiator filler neck.

Mechanics, am I screwed?

GM?

And, yes. This sounds like head gasket or intake.

jakebrake
12-22-2012, 09:43
define "gunk" around fill bottle neck.

what color is your anti freeze?

did the car just become a cropduster?

when did you change your oil last?

Detectorist
12-22-2012, 09:44
1994 ford Ranger 4.0

Bren
12-22-2012, 09:53
So fix it. I recommend a Haynes manual.

1991 Ford Ranger head gasket replacement 3.0 L V6 Install Remove Replace - YouTube

aircarver
12-22-2012, 10:04
Coolant loss rate ?
Bubbles in the coolant running with the radiatior cap off [Don't take it off with the system under pressure]

Adjuster
12-22-2012, 10:17
Head gaskets can be labor intensive but not overly difficult. The cost of the gasket itself is very inexpensive. Get yourself a digital camera and photographs every nut, bolt, tube, wire, screw, hose etc etc.. Write down notes to help you remember where everything goes. Then start your disassembly. Replace the gasket following all proper common gasket procedures. Reassemble and change your oil.

/

dango
12-22-2012, 10:18
Not everybody has the tools to attempt this task plus the fact
1994 ! Only one that could guess if it's even worth it or not would be you , the OP ! How close to total self destruction is the vehicle as a whole. Knowledge can be bought but there are a lot of little things that need major attention ! Not everybody out there can change a head gasket!

If the vehicle is worth it , a used engine might be easier !

Redheadhunter21
12-22-2012, 10:30
Brown gunk on filler neck could be a mix of dirt and rust and not at all a real problem on a 94, as long as it is contained to filler neck clean it with a rag. Milky oil is no good, do an oil change and you will know if you have a problem, change oil filter too.

If oil looks good and truck is not overheating your good to go, head gaskets take some time but are pretty much a parts swap job no real mechanical knowledge required. YouTube it and even a monkey can accomplish it.

HarleyGuy
12-22-2012, 10:45
A head gasket would be the most likely possibility and the cheapest to replace.
Also, a cracked cylinder head, or even a cracked block could be causing your issue.

The cheapest, easiest remedy that may buy you some time (and miles) is an additive that will seal the leak, such as Bars Leak. You need to check with your local parts store to see what that have available.

Anti-freeze in your oil (depending on the amount) will eventually ruin your bearings ANDyour engine.

Oil in your cooling system will "coat" the water passages in your engine and prevent the coolant from cooling your engine which will lead to overheating and eventually engine failure.

If your truck is worth fixing, I'd suggest not driving it until you get the leak fixed, and the oil/filter changed as well as the cooling system.

elsolo
12-22-2012, 11:24
I think those 4.0's used to crack the head rather frequently, between the valve seats.

Complete junkyard motor will be about $600
It's not a big deal, just a little labor.

Dave.1
12-22-2012, 11:42
Are you any where near one of those do it yourself garage rental places?

As has been mentioned, it's mostly a labor intensive job. The places I've seen where you rent a bay usually have all the tools you need. If you have all your own tools then a garage is all you really need.

Good Luck

Dave

JMS
12-22-2012, 11:43

Why leave yourself in a position with no money?

RenoF250
12-22-2012, 12:26
Why leave yourself in a position with no money?

Are you aware of the economy? I doubt he chose to put himself in that position.

dango
12-22-2012, 13:00
I think those 4.0's used to crack the head rather frequently, between the valve seats.

Complete junkyard motor will be about $600
It's not a big deal, just a little labor.

Yeap ! The "junkyard" or church to some of us is the solution for
me more times than I can count.

Keoking
12-22-2012, 14:35
Drive it until it catches fire.

G29Reload
12-22-2012, 15:44

Mechanics, am I screwed?

Could even be a cracked block. You may be screwed, but if it still runs you may have time to commence evasive action.

determine the value of the vehicle even if scrap. Start figuring out what you can afford. There has to be some give somewhere. Also look at financing deals.

I just found my 200k miles Camry was leaking oil and PS fluid but got em both fixed for $500. stuck it on the credit card.

While it was in the shop and I was expecting worse, the overnight rentacar was a dealership corolla, a late model. Pretty nice for a little hampster wheel. decent audio, ipod hook up, overdrive, AC , power windows. Can get one new for 18ish and 0 financing. Not a bad lifeboat if things were ever desperate.

G29Reload
12-22-2012, 15:45
1994 ford Ranger 4.0

There you go. Call a junkyard on general principle. Or take it out back and just put a bullet in it. You need new wheels.

Detectorist
12-22-2012, 16:42
Well, still trying to figure out this. Someone told me it might just be moisture in the oil reacting to additives..

So, I removed the radiator cap and let the car idle for 15 minutes. No bubbles coming up. After warmup, no white smoke coming from the tailpipe. Also no white ring around the oil filler cap.

I did discover where some of my coolant is going. The fitting on the reservoir where the the hose plugs in from the radiator is leaking. Saw coolant come out of there...the overflow tank is not available any more. Looks like a job for JB weld.

Firefightermdc
12-22-2012, 17:10
Is the truck overheating? If not most likely not the h/g. Flush the rad, change the oil. You can make an overflow for thebtime being w a monster can, jb weld, and tubinghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/23/durevepy.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

elsolo
12-22-2012, 17:28
Well, still trying to figure out this. Someone told me it might just be moisture in the oil reacting to additives..

So, I removed the radiator cap and let the car idle for 15 minutes. No bubbles coming up. After warmup, no white smoke coming from the tailpipe. Also no white ring around the oil filler cap.

I did discover where some of my coolant is going. The fitting on the reservoir where the the hose plugs in from the radiator is leaking. Saw coolant come out of there...the overflow tank is not available any more. Looks like a job for JB weld.

In the morning, before you start the engine:
Remove the oil filler cap, look at the backside for condensation. (this is test #1 for buying a used Ranger).

The first noticeable signs of a cracked head can be condensation in the crankcase that burns off after you warn the engine up. The crack only leaks while cool, when the engine is running it expands with heat and quits seeping coolant as fast.

DaneA
12-22-2012, 17:42
There's a cheap tool for this:
How to check for a blown head gasket - YouTube

dvrdwn72
12-22-2012, 17:48
Now, with those aluminum heads, and you have a blown gasket it could warp the head.

Detectorist
12-24-2012, 13:45
In the morning, before you start the engine:
Remove the oil filler cap, look at the backside for condensation. (this is test #1 for buying a used Ranger).

The first noticeable signs of a cracked head can be condensation in the crankcase that burns off after you warn the engine up. The crack only leaks while cool, when the engine is running it expands with heat and quits seeping coolant as fast.

Well, checked two mornings in a row and nothing. No condensation at all or white rings on the oil filler cap.

These engines are known for their durability. They don't have aluminum heads.

Berto
12-24-2012, 14:02
I'd just change the oil, maybe flush the radiator and keep an eye on the temp gauge. It could be fine.

knightkrawler00
12-24-2012, 14:05
Now, with those aluminum heads, and you have a blown gasket it could warp the head.

Generally the head warps first, allowing the gasket to go. If the head gasket goes and the driver allows it to overheat, then that can cause the head to warp.

I would say that the op most likely doesn't have a head gasket problem, from the information provided. This time of year, a lot of condensation can build up in the crankcase. The crud around the filler cap is probably just that, crud collecting in that area. I would change the oil, so you have a good baseline to start with, then keep a good eye on it and the coolant.

Also, the 4.0L had issues with the intake manifold corroding around the coolant passages and this can allow coolant to mix with the engine oil.

RPVG
12-24-2012, 14:24
Also, the 4.0L had issues with the intake manifold corroding around the coolant passages and this can allow coolant to mix with the engine oil.It had some problems with loose intake maniford bolts, too.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4_0-loose-intake-bolts.html

Detectorist
12-24-2012, 16:22
I had a gasket changed a while ago. It was the only systemic issue this engine had. Was it an intake manifold gasket? The coolant was just pouring out of the back.

Strangest gasket I've ever seen. All metal with rubber grommets.

I may be OK, or if there is a leak, it's just starting.

knightkrawler00
12-24-2012, 16:48
I had a gasket changed a while ago. It was the only systemic issue this engine had. Was it an intake manifold gasket? The coolant was just pouring out of the back.

Strangest gasket I've ever seen. All metal with rubber grommets.

I may be OK, or if there is a leak, it's just starting.

Sounds like the intake manifold gasket to me.