Just got back from buds gun shop......observations.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from buds gun shop......observations..

Beretta92guy
12-22-2012, 10:43
in Lexington, KY

Good Lord..........

I have never, in my years of going to their retail store, seen it like this......

I just went to observe today, and sat back with my diet coke and bagel just watching people check out.......

in the hour that i was there, not one transaction was under $2000.......they had a pallet of AR-15's in the back, and by the time i left they were gone!!!!......people buying cases of ammo by the truck load......they had a Pmag display that was full when i got there....EMPTY when i left.....

the sales counter was three people deep and the parking lot was so full, you had to park across the street......some people were buying not ONE AR-15, but two, THREE at a time!!!!

they had no beretta mags that i was looking for but plenty of Glock 33 rounders and Smith and Wesson MP mags.....

I sure wish i had the disposable income some of these people have......some of the people i observed buying two rifles looked like they could not afford a new pair of shoes, which they badly needed.....

this panic buying is ridiculous, if you ask me....but oh well, at least its not my money being spent...LOL

:wavey:

Atlas
12-22-2012, 10:46
Ridiculous it may be, but the anti's are surely hearing about it too.
It should give them something to think about.

stolenphot0
12-22-2012, 10:57
Ridiculous it may be, but the anti's are surely hearing about it too.
they will just think we are crazier

racer11
12-22-2012, 10:58
Its a race to the finish,,,Anti idiots trying to get restrictions passed asap to stop the buying and retailers selling all they can and making lots of revenue.

This entire situation is just sick. All caused by one nutty young man with a who knows what agenda that has been heard around the world and changing the lives of every gun owner in the United States.

shadow_dog
12-22-2012, 11:14
Same thing is happening in Cincinnati. I went to a LGS yesterday and all you seen were AR's being sold. Had a couple of boxes of P mags, had a sign..limit 1 per customer.

BEER
12-22-2012, 11:16
yall do realize that quite a few of these panic buyers are actually hoping and trying for a ban right? i've heard at least 3 different people in 3 different places talking about hoping for a ban so they can make a mint off the stuff they've hoarded so far.

Beretta92guy
12-22-2012, 11:17
Its a race to the finish,,,Anti idiots trying to get restrictions passed asap to stop the buying and retailers selling all they can and making lots of revenue.

This entire situation is just sick. All caused by one nutty young man with a who knows what agenda that has been heard around the world and changing the lives of every gun owner in the United States.

you know, that is EXACTLY what i was thinking while i was standing there...

looking at all these people dumping their entire bank accounts, or a large part of it, because of one psychopath with a death-wish...............unreal!!!!

Fear Night
12-22-2012, 11:18
This happens any time the anti-gun drums start beating. If the anti's wanted to keep massive amounts of guns from entering circulation, they just need to keep their loud mouths shut about gun control. All this AWB talk over the past week has sold 6+ months worth of guns in 7 days, and they don't even have the votes to pass it. Way for your plan to backfire anti's ...

eracer
12-22-2012, 11:21
Are we about to have a 'bubble' burst in the used AR-15 market?

I'm saving cash for when the suckers buying them for $2K now are selling them for $700 in a year.

Ammo won't go down in price, and I'm really torn between spending a lot of money on any ammo I can find, or putting in backorders for reloading supplies.

I got the equipment about six months go, but haven't started yet, and I don't want to buy the wrong stuff. I guess bullets and primers are no-brainers.

arclight610
12-22-2012, 11:25

I'm saving cash for when the suckers buying them for $2K now are selling them for $700 in a year.

Ammo won't go down in price, and I'm really torn between spending a lot of money on any ammo I can find, or putting in backorders reloading supplies.

Other than Sabre Defense's illegal shenanigans, I believe they suffered huge losses because they produced tons of AR15s thinking that demand was going to be high forever. In the end, they had to sell alot below manufacturing costs.

Fear Night
12-22-2012, 11:25

Ammo won't go down in price, and I'm really torn between spending a lot of money on any ammo I can find, or putting in backorders for reloading supplies.

I got the equipment about six months go, but haven't started yet, and I don't want to buy the wrong stuff. I guess bullets and primers are no-brainers.
I think it's possible there will be a lot of used AR's enter the market, unless Obama puts in the "No Sales/Transfers" AWB via Executive Order.

Ammo will definitely be an issue. All the new AR owners will need fuel to feed their new guns. I can imagine price per round will probably approach 7.62 NATO territory for 5.56 with all this new demand.

stolenphot0
12-22-2012, 11:27
http://www.armslist.com/posts/739063/dayton-ohio-rifles-for-sale--sig-sauer-556-brand-new

SIG 556 ... $5000

cangler
12-22-2012, 11:27
Yeah even guns that don't use hi-cap mags are sold out on buds guns it seems. I've been eyeing a sig p239 gen 2 for a month now and haven't pulled the trigger yet. I looked at it on the site today and it's sold out. :crying:

Gunhaver
12-22-2012, 11:29
Good. Let the idiots buy everything they can in full on panic mode. All that stuff will start showing up used NIB when they remember that they have to make a car payment.

Black&TAN
12-22-2012, 11:33
I sure wish i had the disposable income some of these people have......some of the people i observed buying two rifles looked like they could not afford a new pair of shoes, which they badly needed...
I think you've touched on the reality of most of this spending. Would assume many don't have the disposable income.

No need to push further into debt, I blew my budget months ago. :supergrin:

sent via Tapatalk

HollowHead
12-22-2012, 11:34
Ammo will definitely be an issue. All the new AR owners will need fuel to feed their new guns. I can imagine price per round will probably approach 7.62 NATO territory for 5.56 with all this new demand.

I don't imagine these panic guns will be fired much. HH

smokin762
12-22-2012, 11:35
I would not be the least surprised if a lot of these buyers were dealers at local gun shows. I am sure they want to have stock at the next gun show and screw the eye balls out of panic buyers there.

I have what I want. After all, I have been interested in firearms for many years. I am not a first time firearm buyer and I have been through bans before. After the last ban had expired, I stocked up on magazines that were in normal capacity for the model of firearm. I bought two at a time until I had what I wanted. Just in case we went through dark times again.

M2 Carbine
12-22-2012, 11:37
looking at all these people dumping their entire bank accounts, or a large part of it, because of one psychopath with a death-wish...............unreal!!!!
Not realy.
All the people I know are buying because of that "psychopath" in the White House.

Tuesday I made the local gun stores. Same story. All semi rifles, even 22LR, sold out.

smokin762
12-22-2012, 11:41
Every now and then, I run across a dealer at the gun shows who have been sitting on firearms that they bought new in the box before daddy Bush’s gun ban of 1989 went into effect. Now and then they will sell one these pre ban firearms for top buck. If you want it bad enough, you will pay the high price.

countrygun
12-22-2012, 11:46

It is hard to imagine. The actions of one deranged individual has sparked a major concentration and fear reaction of little piece of stamped and folded steel, with a spring in them that go in a gun. Again, over the act of a lone nutjob.

This is anti-gun sentiment coming to the surface, to capitalize on a tragedy, and others reacting, NOT TO THE TRAGEDY or from fear of a lone kook, but out of FEAR OF THE REACTION FROM THE ANTI'S.

By their threats they are putting huge numbers of the guns into "circulation"

muscogee
12-22-2012, 11:56
Time to sell. This too will pass.

TSAX
12-22-2012, 11:58
I wonder if the ban doesn't pass and everyone that paid these high costs would be relieved and pissed at the same time because what they bought would drop back down and they probably wouldnt be able to sell it for the same price they got it for. Either way its a gamble, if the ban goes through then yes its better to have it then not.

:50cal:

Rooster Rugburn
12-22-2012, 12:00
If no ban is passed, it will be a buyers market on the auction sites.

Rooster Rugburn
12-22-2012, 12:04
I wonder if the ban doesn't pass and everyone that paid these high costs would be relieved and pissed at the same time because what they bought would drop back down and they probably wouldnt be able to sell it for the same price they got it for. Either way its a gamble, if the ban goes through then yes its better to have it then not.

I think the people who will be pissed, will be the ones who paid the gouge prices. Others, who bought from stand up companies like Bravo Company and paid the normal price, will be able to sell what they don't want to keep, and minimize their losses.

vikingsoftpaw
12-22-2012, 12:05
http://www.armslist.com/posts/739063/dayton-ohio-rifles-for-sale--sig-sauer-556-brand-new

SIG 556 ... $5000

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=323246136 (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=323246136)

Romy WASR-3 ... $2,500

WTF?

Rooster Rugburn
12-22-2012, 12:08
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=323246136 (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=323246136)

Romy WASR-3 ... $2,500

WTF?

I think they are just fishing, to see if anyone will bite.

vikingsoftpaw
12-22-2012, 12:12
Every now and then, I run across a dealer at the gun shows who have been sitting on firearms that they bought new in the box before daddy Bush’s gun ban of 1989 went into effect. Now and then they will sell one these pre ban firearms for top buck. If you want it bad enough, you will pay the high price.

A number of years ago, there was a guy locally that caught the attention of LEO's for the number of SKS he purchased. It was in the hundereds all for about $89 a piece. They were still kept in cosmoline. He told them he was going to sell them when they became more valuable someday.

bear62
12-22-2012, 12:12
Fortunately I've been "set" as for as firearms are concerned for years. I really think the current rush for guns just doesn't add up ..... for me anyway.

Got to hand it to Obama ...... He's the greatest gun salesman ever..... :rofl:

rick458
12-22-2012, 12:13
I had bought 2 lowers months before this happened, Noveske N4, and Mega Gator
I have the N4 complete save for the A2 end plate and screws, it has Geissele SSA-e trigger,Houge grip, Noveske STS 60 degree safety, Spikes internals, I also have a Noveske Forged upper receiver for it.
That will eventually be a Noveske SPR with the 18" Mod 0 int SPR barrel, and glass.

The Mega Gator has Stag internals, Spikes trigger, and Houge grip.
That will be a 6.5 Grendel with a 20" Shilen barrel and Bolt, Magpul STR stock, and good glass.
I will need 4 or so 6.5 Grendel Magazines (I'm good on mags for the 5.56 and my .458 SOCOM).

I don't know how badly this will delay those builds parts were very tight before, now they will be insane.

BEER
12-22-2012, 12:14
yesterday on texas gun traders there was a beat up ruger mini-14 with 1 10 round mag for 1400, and i think it sold.

there's still a rock island "with gunsmith work" on there for 750$. a 750$ rock island! lmao

helo478
12-22-2012, 12:18
Good. Let the idiots buy everything they can in full on panic mode. All that stuff will start showing up used NIB when they remember that they have to make a car payment.

That still hasn't happened yet from 2008 Panic.

Rotn1
12-22-2012, 12:23
Logically, I have all the guns and ammo that I will ever need, but as many here will understand, the collection is never really compete.

I try to look at it a different way. I know what I want and I know what I am prepared to pay.

I am not angry at the so called panic buyers as I think their actions are sending a strong message to the other side. It is also increasing the ranks of lawful gun owners and people who hopefully will support our cause.

Providing these are folks that just want to buy a firearm and are not hoarding or speculating it says they see what we see in this administration and in the need for self defense.

countrygun
12-22-2012, 12:26
That still hasn't happened yet from 2008 Panic.

Nope, not around here either.

Our LGS sold quite a few AKs and ARs given our economy, and yet, given that same depressed economy, only about 4 ARs and 2 AKs have shown up on the used rack since then.

1-2man
12-22-2012, 12:26
I really wish this would go away. I haven't been able to get to the range and do some shooting since all this hoopla began. I'm jonesing here...

Spiffums
12-22-2012, 12:31
I think it's possible there will be a lot of used AR's enter the market, unless Obama puts in the "No Sales/Transfers" AWB via Executive Order.

If there is a ban, a part of me wants a no Sales/Transfer clause just to screw the horders who bought to make a profit and drove up the prices and lack of avaiblity.

Spiffums
12-22-2012, 12:34
I might try to trade my Draco for a Colt M4 LOL

smokin762
12-22-2012, 12:35
A number of years ago, there was a guy locally that caught the attention of LEO's for the number of SKS he purchased. It was in the hundereds all for about $89 a piece. They were still kept in cosmoline. He told them he was going to sell them when they became more valuable someday.

Now look what SKS's sell for. :faint:

rick458
12-22-2012, 12:41
I might try to trade my Draco for a Colt M4 LOL

A buddy I work with and his brothers bought several Dracos 2 years ago, it was a pretty good deal if you got 4 at one time.

helo478
12-22-2012, 12:52
Now look what SKS's sell for. :faint:

I know of people who have made serious money doing things like that. I know one former Marine who has been collecting guns, mags, parts, and ammo since he was in his teens. He will buy FN Mags, AR mags, G3 mags, AK parts kits, and ammo when the prices were low. Then wait for the prices to come up till and sell a large chunk off while keeping some for himself.

I would imagine his is on gun broker right now selling some of his ammo and mags.

frank4570
12-22-2012, 13:02
Sandy Hook has proven that there is always a serious threat of an AWB or something like it. I'm concerned the panic buying will never end now.

dwhite53
12-22-2012, 13:15
Reasoning:

I want an AR.

May not be able to get one before long.

Lot's of money.

Wife wants diamond tennis bracelet for Christmas.

Same cost as AR.

I'll get her cubic zirconia ring instead.

If she gets pissed, I can protect myself with the AR.

Done.

All the Best,
D. White

michael e
12-22-2012, 13:24

This is what I am hoping for. Told the better half when it happens I will be picking up a couple. Not because I am worried about the ban , but because I always seem to be wanting another one. I am just hoping a few are 6.8 and 9mm because thats what I would like to add next.

Beretta92guy
12-22-2012, 15:48

EXACTLY!!!....I mean, don't get me wrong...im all for gun buying, and if you have a big bank account full of $$$$$ then have at it.....but i think a lot of these people are spending rent, mortgage, car payment money to buy a truck-load of guns/ammo:upeyes:

Beretta92guy
12-22-2012, 15:51
Not realy.
All the people I know are buying because of that "psychopath" in the White House.

Tuesday I made the local gun stores. Same story. All semi rifles, even 22LR, sold out.

LOL...I stand corrected!!!

nursetim
12-22-2012, 16:19
Ridiculous it may be, but the politicians are surely hearing about it too.

Come re-election time.