Camaro SS? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Camaro SS?

DennisP
12-22-2012, 11:58
Hey Everybody,
Next year or so I will be replacing my truck and I am thinking about a Camaro SS. I am starting the research now and look to buy in the next six months or so. Does anybody have any experience with them? Also I see a lot of year old ones with a 5 to 10k for sale at very decent prices.

Any info would be appreciated.

Dennis P.

JMS
12-22-2012, 12:02
Hey Everybody,
Next year or so I will be replacing my truck and I am thinking about a Camaro SS. I am starting the research now and look to buy in the next six months or so. Does anybody have any experience with them? Also I see a lot of year old ones with a 5 to 10k for sale at very decent prices.

Dennis P.

That baby still in a car seat? Our neighbor has one with 2 car seats, it's a hilarious site to see him buckle them in.

DennisP
12-22-2012, 12:33
That baby still in a car seat? Our neighbor has one with 2 car seats, it's a hilarious site to see him buckle them in.

My son is 5 now and using a booster seat, by the time I buy it he will be able to get himself in and out. Funny thing is that if I didn't have a kid I would be getting a Corvette instead of the Camaro. I would feel like a jerk getting a two seater when I have a wife and kid.

Dennis P.

LASTRESORT20
12-22-2012, 12:52
*I had one when it had the LS-1 engine with the 6spd Manual...*it was top-dog "then". Never gave me a problem and it was a great machine...even the gas mileage was good with the 6spd when driven normal.....If I was looking for a performance machine again I would look at the newer Mustang GT with the Coyote-engine...."also and compare". The new Mustang GT`s do shine and are dangerously-Potent. :)

DennisP
12-22-2012, 13:35
*I had one when it had the LS-1 engine with the 6spd Manual...*it was top-dog "then". Never gave me a problem and it was a great machine...even the gas mileage was good with the 6spd when driven normal.....If I was looking for a performance machine again I would look at the newer Mustang GT with the Coyote-engine...."also and compare". The new Mustang GT`s do shine and are dangerously-Potent. :)

You can't get a sunroof in the new Mustangs, nice cars butI dig having a sunroof.

Dennis P.

rdrkt
12-22-2012, 13:37
Mustangs do offer a glass roof option. No wind in your hair but great views

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

vettely
12-22-2012, 13:40
I drive a Challenger R/T, but I am a Chevy guy. Gotta pave those LS motors. Can't throw a rock withoust hitting a mustang here.

Glock30Eric
12-22-2012, 13:42
GM, yuck! Go for a used M3 if you could afford it.

LASTRESORT20
12-22-2012, 13:43
You can't get a sunroof in the new Mustangs, nice cars butI dig having a sunroof.

Dennis P.

Ahhh I see.. cool...understand.

Gregg702
12-22-2012, 13:46
Test drive one. I have heard the outward visability is terrible.

vettely
12-22-2012, 13:49
Same here. Love the look of the Camaro but went with this.
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh131/Vettely/challenger2.jpg

Eric
12-22-2012, 13:54
Hey Everybody,

Dennis P.

I had one for a while. It is good performance for the money. You probably want to hear cons more than pros. There aren't many, but here goes:

The back seat is just about unusable.
The trunk is really small as well and the size and shape of the trunk opening further reduces the size of what you can carry in it.
I don't like the key fob, with it's pop-out key. I would prefer a keyless ignition, but barring that, a key fob that wasn't so gimmicky and vulnerable to damage.
The dash looks nice, but there is no provision to put a double-din stereo/navigation unit in it.
I would have liked to have a better selection of colors available.

All in all though, it is a great car and I enjoyed it. Eric

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=229835&stc=1&d=1356209361

trenchgun
12-22-2012, 15:39
About 3 weeks ago I traded in my 02 Corvette for an 09 Corvette and I am very happy with my decision, it works for me. I found an 09 25K miles, 4LT, Z51, dual mode exhaust, clear & painted tops, chrome wheels, two-tone leather interior, just loaded out. I never considered the Camaro, the vette is lighter, I think it looks better and I like the two seats only. I would at least test drive a loaded out pre-owned vette before I made a decision.... (Pic of my 09 Crimson Red Metallic Corvette)
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii254/trenchgun1/2009Corvette.jpg

airmotive
12-22-2012, 16:10

It's like sitting in a barrel. There is no glass below chin-level (and I'm 6'2")

shadow_dog
12-22-2012, 16:39
A friend of mine has one of the first new SS when they started making them. He tried to be "King Camaro" of the US. He has dumped a ton of money into the thing. He fessed up and let me know he has almost spent 100k on it chasing the dream of being the "ultimate". I believe it because I have seen all the time and effort he has dumped into it. It dynos at around 900 hp. But like I told him, it's like a big giant money pit. It is so bad , he has to let it idle almost 20 minutes before he can start driving it. IMO, he took a perfectly good car and ruined it.

Gregg702
12-22-2012, 16:41
A friend of mine has one of the first new SS when they started making them. He tried to be "King Camaro" of the US. He has dumped a ton of money into the thing. He fessed up and let me know he has almost spent 100k on it chasing the dream of being the "ultimate". I believe it because I have seen all the time and effort he has dumped into it. It dynos at around 900 hp. But like I told him, it's like a big giant money pit. It is so bad , he has to let it idle almost 20 minutes before he can start driving it. IMO, he took a perfectly good car and ruined it.

That is hilarious.

I'M Glockamolie
12-22-2012, 16:57
....If I was looking for a performance machine again I would look at the newer Mustang GT with the Coyote-engine..

From a big GM guy...unfortunately, I would too. I think I'd rather have a new 5.0 vs. an SS. I rented an SS for 3 days a while back, and wasn't terribly impressed. I hate to say that.

LASTRESORT20
12-22-2012, 17:22
From a big GM guy...unfortunately, I would too. I think I'd rather have a new 5.0 vs. an SS. I rented an SS for 3 days a while back, and wasn't terribly impressed. I hate to say that.

Yup! I `was` a GM Guy also....but many things changed...Like the world and our country to name a couple.

Now *"for me" I like real fun machines than can do many things in interesting times :supergrin:

http://www.bodykits.com/productImages_thumbBIG/1270580238119383.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/larrystj/TDS%202010/100_6161.jpg

Dennis in MA
12-22-2012, 19:15
If it ain't a model year starting with 196, it ain't a camaro. Go classic or go home. The whole Lightning McQueen look is bizarre.

DennisP
12-23-2012, 08:29
Thanks for the input, I am definitly going to go test drive one.

Eric,
That is a good looking car, how was it as a daily driver?

Dennis P.

Eric
12-23-2012, 08:53
Thanks for the input, I am definitly going to go test drive one.

Eric,
That is a good looking car, how was it as a daily driver?

Dennis P.

It was great. Gas mileage rocked and the car is fun to drive. My only issues were with back seat and trunk size. If you don't regularly have backseat passengers, then that issue wouldn't be a problem. As for trunk space, that is just something you have to get used to, with a car like this. My trunk was even smaller, because I had the dealer-option subwoofer in there. It was totally worth it though.

I've owned about a half-dozen older Camaros. I love them, but nostalgia aside, the new Camaro is faster, better handling, better braking, better mileage, more dependable, lower maintenance and far more comfortable than any Camaro that has come before it. This car does everything it's predecessors did, only better. Technology tells.

I like the available colors for the Mustangs and their stereo options are better than Camaro's offerings, but the cars just look cheap to me. If K-Mart were to build a muscle car, I think it would look like a Mustang.

I test-drove the Camaro, the Mustang and a Challenger, before buying the Camaro. There are aspects of both the Challenger and Mustang that I liked better, but I think the Camaro is the better total package. Eric

bunk22
12-23-2012, 08:57

That's what we men do, we mod a good car until it doesn't run!!! But when it does, it's fast :cool:

shadow_dog
12-23-2012, 16:55
That's what we men do, we mod a good car until it doesn't run!!! But when it does, it's fast :cool:

Perhaps.

However, the extent of mods this man would do is new exhaust, window tint, new tires and rims. Any future mods would be the money saved from not further modding the car going into my gun/fun fund.

JLB768
12-23-2012, 18:58
I had a 2011 Camaro SS, after owning two Corvette's, it felt like driving a brick with wheels, I am now in Corvette #3. The Camaro is a great car, and a mean looking car, but it's just not as fun as a Vette.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5179/5471600183_8b37afdb9e_b.jpg

elsolo
12-23-2012, 19:34
there are few values in sportscars as good as a gently used vette bought for half price or less

the backseat in the Camaro is as useless as no backseat, it's pretend utility

Glock30Eric
12-23-2012, 19:49
there are few values in sportscars as good as a gently used vette bought for half price or less

the backseat in the Camaro is as useless as no backseat, it's pretend utility

There's a brake failure issue in Vette. You can find that many video in YouTube. Go for an used M3, old school muscle cars, or go home.

New cars are heavy and loaded with techs. Not worth it IMO.

JLB768
12-23-2012, 21:27
There's a brake failure issue in Vette. You can find that many video in YouTube. Go for an used M3, old school muscle cars, or go home.

Never heard or experienced that in any of mine, and none of my friends have.

bunk22
12-23-2012, 21:36

I never had any issues with mine and being on the forums daily, never heard of any brake issues with the C6. A C6 is a fantastic car and find if it's in good shape.

elsolo
12-23-2012, 22:16

I have an old school muscle car, and with the exception of looking cool and drag racing, a new Vette beats it in every way hands down.

Either one is more reliable than a used BMW.

Glock30Eric
12-23-2012, 22:20
I have an old school muscle car, and with the exception of looking cool and drag racing, a new Vette beats it in every way hands down.

Either one is more reliable than a used BMW.

It depends on what you were talking about.

All sport cars requires lots of maintenance works to keep it in top shape.

jay-bird
12-23-2012, 22:20
My dad has a Camaro SS. At 140 mph, there are no complaints.

JLB768
12-24-2012, 06:06
It depends on what you were talking about.

So far, after owning three C6 Corvette's, all I've had to do was change the oil, and filter. My current Vette did have one issue crop up, a battery died in my RR tire pressure sensor, of course, that fell under the warranty and was repaired. And the motor/trans has a 5 year, 100K warranty. A lot of guys are up above 100K on the ticker, and have only had to do the basic inexpensive maintanance...Oil, flush/fill the radiator, replace brakes pads, etc. It's a Chevy, not a Ferrari.

TBO
12-24-2012, 06:21
If you get one be prepared for your wife to be followed for 7 miles.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

Glock30Eric
12-24-2012, 06:25
So far, after owning three C6 Corvette's, all I've had to do was change the oil, and filter. My current Vette did have one issue crop up, a battery died in my RR tire pressure sensor, of course, that fell under the warranty and was repaired. And the motor/trans has a 5 year, 100K warranty. A lot of guys are up above 100K on the ticker, and have only had to do the basic inexpensive maintanance...Oil, flush/fill the radiator, replace brakes pads, etc. It's a Chevy, not a Ferrari.

Lol, Ferrari is on the different level than the BMW and Chevy.

Do you own a regular Vette or fancy one like Z06, ZR1, etc?

Eric
12-24-2012, 08:05

My C6 Z06 weighs 3,050 pounds and the brakes are just fine. Never had any problems with them and never heard of anyone else having problems with them. Nostalgia is a fun place to visit occasionally, but all that 'tech' has created a rocket-ship that also manages to be comfortable, dependable, safe and gets good mileage. Eric

JMS
12-24-2012, 08:32
It's a Chevy, not a Ferrari

Very true, my DD is a Toyota, I was considering picking up a 355 for my fun car but I don't think I can deal with the constant service visits, engine out belt changes, etc.

JLB768
12-24-2012, 08:32
Lol, Ferrari is on the different level than the BMW and Chevy.

Do you own a regular Vette or fancy one like Z06, ZR1, etc?

I'm in a 2011 Coupe at the moment, but I owned a 2008 Z06 until I bought the Camaro. You'd be surprised at what the ZR1 can do compared to a Ferrari, and at a fraction of the cost. I can tell you the Z06 is no snail either. Who knows what will be in my garage when the C7 comes out...

My first "base"
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8502/8303263759_1e2cf71e50_b.jpg

The Z06
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4091/5012165327_6118c96fdf_b.jpg

My Current
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6188/6037287644_e8de946001_b.jpg

JMS
12-24-2012, 08:33

You are basing your opinion on what? Ownership or what you've read?

JLB768
12-24-2012, 08:35
Very true, my DD is a Toyota, I was considering picking up a 355 for my fun car but I don't think I can deal with the constant service visits, engine out belt changes, etc.

Wonder what it costs to change the oil on one of them.

JLB768
12-24-2012, 08:37
My C6 Z06 weighs 3,050 pounds and the brakes are just fine. Never had any problems with them and never heard of anyone else having problems with them. Nostalgia is a fun place to visit occasionally, but all that 'tech' has created a rocket-ship that also manages to be comfortable, dependable, safe and gets good mileage. Eric

The Z06 is an incredible car, I can only imagine what the ZR1 is like.

JMS
12-24-2012, 08:43
Wonder what it costs to change the oil on one of them.

I heard an Enzo will run about $750 for an oil change.

Here are some numbers from my local dealer
http://www.ferrariofwashington.com/custom2.html

JLB768
12-24-2012, 08:58
I heard an Enzo will run about $750 for an oil change.

Here are some numbers from my local dealer
http://www.ferrariofwashington.com/custom2.html

Ouch, that's about $710 more than it costs me to change mine in my garage. You know, 5 years ago, I could have bought a Ferrari had I wanted one, and I thought about it. But after careful thought, a Corvette was best suited for me. I wanted a car that had great performance, didn't break the bank, and at the same time, could be easily serviced locally. Not too many Ferrari mechanics in Ellettsville Indiana :supergrin:

I also thought about buying a Viper, just something about the rear end that I didn't like. I'm content with my "base" Coupe, I just didn't drive the Z06 the way it was meant to be driven, so I couldn't justify the cost replacing it with another. I've got a car that handles well, is extremely fast, and cheap on maintance costs. Not bad looking either.

Glock30Eric
12-24-2012, 10:25
You are basing your opinion on what? Ownership or what you've read?

If you use a sport car to its fullness. You'll need to do the maintenance work on it to keep it running at the top performance. For example, reaching the redline pretty often, hard braking, hard cornering, driving over 120mph often, and shifting hard.

If you just drive 80 mph and little of all things above then you don't have to do much of maintenance.

JMS
12-24-2012, 10:27
Ouch, that's about $710 more than it costs me to change mine in my garage. You know, 5 years ago, I could have bought a Ferrari had I wanted one, and I thought about it. But after careful thought, a Corvette was best suited for me. I wanted a car that had great performance, didn't break the bank, and at the same time, could be easily serviced locally. Not too many Ferrari mechanics in Ellettsville Indiana :supergrin:

I also thought about buying a Viper, just something about the rear end that I didn't like. I'm content with my "base" Coupe, I just didn't drive the Z06 the way it was meant to be driven, so I couldn't justify the cost replacing it with another. I've got a car that handles well, is extremely fast, and cheap on maintance costs. Not bad looking either.

My issue is that I am 6'6. I've squeezed into a few Diablo's, 512 TR's, etc over the years but they are so tight inside I couldn't imagine owning one. The Viper actually is quite roomy. I guess everyone in Italy is 5'5?

Btw here's a little time capsule for you http://jalopnik.com/5970943/after-23-years-in-storage-stolen-89-corvette-sells-for-original-sticker-price

SiberianErik
12-24-2012, 11:16
The only Camaro I would be interested in in the ZL1. I saw a blk one at the courthouse the other day, probly dealing w/a speeding ticket. Some 70 y/o lady was driving it, complete w/ a 4 pt walker thing haha.

I ll stick w/my ///M5

NOGIBJJ
12-24-2012, 11:37
Hey Everybody,

Dennis P.

^

How bout an old one?...... Maybe a '67 Z28, or a '69SS 396/375 (actual hp 425)

And $ will go up - not down.

^

elsolo
12-24-2012, 12:25
^

How bout an old one?...... Maybe a '67 Z28, or a '69SS 396/375 (actual hp 425)

And $ will go up - not down.

^

Collectable muscle car prices for desirable models has never been a great investment. Prices go up and down. Bunch of guys lost money in the 90's when prices went high then fell again.

I have had my 67 chevelle SS 396 for over 20 yrs, it is worth more now than I paid for it, but the appreciation rate isn't what you would imagine. It had maybe doubled over 20 yrs, that's what 3.5%

45 year old muscle cars are fun, but they are crude antiques compared to today's sports cars.

JLB768
12-24-2012, 14:17
My issue is that I am 6'6. I've squeezed into a few Diablo's, 512 TR's, etc over the years but they are so tight inside I couldn't imagine owning one. The Viper actually is quite roomy. I guess everyone in Italy is 5'5?

Btw here's a little time capsule for you http://jalopnik.com/5970943/after-23-years-in-storage-stolen-89-corvette-sells-for-original-sticker-price

LOL maybe. Wow, after 23 years, kinda cool. I've read a few stories lately, of original owners being reunited with cars that were stolen years before.

Glock30Eric
12-24-2012, 15:55
Collectable muscle car prices for desirable models has never been a great investment. Prices go up and down. Bunch of guys lost money in the 90's when prices went high then fell again.

I have had my 67 chevelle SS 396 for over 20 yrs, it is worth more now than I paid for it, but the appreciation rate isn't what you would imagine. It had maybe doubled over 20 yrs, that's what 3.5%

45 year old muscle cars are fun, but they are crude antiques compared to today's sports cars.

Well, if you put the car on diet and add some few new techs on the car like ABS disc brake kits, EFI, better cooler system, then you'll smoke all newer cars with a really loud V8 roaring!

Phoneman
12-24-2012, 16:21
2008 Vette here for a weekend car...Loving every minute of it and all for the price of a mini van/:rock:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/boraxman/DSCF1183.jpghttp://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j103/boraxman/DSCF1184.jpg

Atlas
12-24-2012, 16:27
Well, if you put the car on diet and add some few new techs on the car like ABS disc brake kits, EFI, better cooler system, then you'll smoke all newer cars with a really loud V8 roaring!

You sorta have an attitude about newer vehicles, don't you?

Those 45-year-old muscle-cars are cool and all, but you would still have an antique chassis that flexes like a young girl with an ancient suspension design.

I have seen '60's era Camaros with massive $$$ spent to graft on modern suspension, add EFI, and upgrade to modern brakes.

It can be done and the result is pretty cool if you really feel the need for the sake of nostalgia, but hey, that's why we have both chocolate and vanilla.. whatever makes you happy.

Glock30Eric
12-24-2012, 16:37
You sorta have an attitude about newer vehicles, don't you?

The Govt made me hate the newer cars. I'm exact like Eric Peter, http://ericpetersautos.com/

I hate the newer cars, where you will have to disassemble the majority parts of engine to do a small maintenance work or to replace a broken parts in the engine's compartment.

Newer cars are build like this: a chassis is built around the engine. It isn't like way back then. However I do like the techs in new cars. It is just Gov't thing that made many unnecessary mandates on the newer cars which it cost us a lot of $$. A deployed airbag will burn in your wallet is one of few examples.

NOGIBJJ
12-24-2012, 16:39

3.5% increase a year sounds great... But you may have paid too much to begin with. Bought right you'll do even better.

Never said muscle cars are an "investment".

I said new muscle cars go down... old ones go up.

That new Camaro will depreciate 5-10k before you finish singing the papers for it.... ....and the cool factor at the red light is off the charts for the old ones - compared to the generic 2013s.

^

JLB768
12-24-2012, 17:08
I can appreciate older cars, two of my buddies toys...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8359/8304631567_dd0852d52d_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8079/8305680256_46ef4875e8_b.jpg

And one of his past projects...
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8494/8304644345_a7025c8698_b.jpg

Glock30Eric
12-24-2012, 17:19
Wow a nice garage set up right there!

JLB768
12-24-2012, 17:28
Wow a nice garage set up right there!

That's just part of it, he converted his barn into a huge garage. He could probably park 10-12 cars in there, with room to work on another. He's just nuts about cars, he finds one he likes, pours sweat and time into it, enjoys it for a year or two, sells it, then repeats the process.

TransAm-98
12-24-2012, 17:37
If you're going to buy used and you like the Camaro, I'd recommend driving a G8 first. Same chassis, but with 4 doors and better visibility. We work on and modify both cars a lot. But the G8 is just a more usable comfortable car to me. Shame they aren't in production anymore.

Glock30Eric
12-24-2012, 17:37
That's just part of it, he converted his barn into a huge garage. He could probably park 10-12 cars in there, with room to work on another. He's just nuts about cars, he finds one he likes, pours sweat and time into it, enjoys it for a year or two, sells it, then repeats the process.

That's something I have dreamed to do something like that. I would like to restore and light mod the old M3s (E30 and 36) I am sure it kept him sane while the world breaks apart. ;)

JLB768
12-24-2012, 18:36
That's something I have dreamed to do something like that. I would like to restore and light mod the old M3s (E30 and 36) I am sure it kept him sane while the world breaks apart. ;)

He's a retired cop, I'm sure it did too.

JMS
12-24-2012, 20:32
The Govt made me hate the newer cars. I'm exact like Eric Peter, http://ericpetersautos.com/

I hate the newer cars, where you will have to disassemble the majority parts of engine to do a small maintenance work or to replace a broken parts in the engine's compartment.

Newer cars are build like this: a chassis is built around the engine. It isn't like way back then. However I do like the techs in new cars. It is just Gov't thing that made many unnecessary mandates on the newer cars which it cost us a lot of $$. A deployed airbag will burn in your wallet is one of few examples.

I'd rather take the newer car
Crash Test 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air VS. 2009 Chevrolet Malibu (Frontal Offset) IIHS 50th Anniversary - YouTube
:wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey:

Glock30Eric
12-24-2012, 21:22
I'd rather take the newer car
[/URL][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g"]Crash Test 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air VS. 2009 Chevrolet Malibu (Frontal Offset) IIHS 50th Anniversary - YouTube (http://jalopnik.com/5970943/after-23-years-in-storage-stolen-89-corvette-sells-for-original-sticker-price)
:wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey:

Yeah... How often do you get in an accident? I don't. I maneuvered to get out of few close call accidents. Mainly on other drivers' fault.

You could upgrade old cars into an armored cars :) anything is possible!

elsolo
12-24-2012, 21:38
3.5% increase a year sounds great... But you may have paid too much to begin with. Bought right you'll do even better.

Never said muscle cars are an "investment".

I said new muscle cars go down... old ones go up.

That new Camaro will depreciate 5-10k before you finish singing the papers for it.... ....and the cool factor at the red light is off the charts for the old ones - compared to the generic 2013s.

^

I had a whole $3500 into my chevelle by the time I had it equipped with a 396, th400, and 12 bolt w/ 3.73 posi. I have since fully restored it twice. (my appreciation estimate based of what finished cars cost then vs now)

The depreciation you get with a newer car is not too far off the re-restoration cost after driving your '67 for 60K miles on the street. I never suggested a brand new Camaro, I suggest a barley used Vette less than 1/2 new cost. You must avoid the steep part of the depreciation curve.

If you daily drive your classic car, not just take it to shows on weekends, the normal wear and tear happen and although it is still 85% as nice as it was, it's now an "older restoration" or "a driver" and has depreciated. You are going to be $10K+ into freshening it back up.

If you parked them both in a garage and never looked at either car for several years, yes the 45 yr old car will retain it's value better. It's a moot point for a car you intend to put miles on.

Eric
12-24-2012, 21:47
Yeah... How often do you get in an accident? I don't. I maneuvered to get out of few close call accidents. Mainly on other drivers' fault.

You could upgrade old cars into an armored cars :) anything is possible!

Buddy, it only takes one wreck to do you. How often do you want to roll the dice? You will never, ever rebuild an old car to be as safe and dependable as even the average modern grocery-getter.

I might never need the many safety features engineered into my Vette, but they are there if needed, just like other safety equipment I choose to carry. In the mean time, I get to enjoy driving a 505hp car that runs perfectly in any weather, gets 28mpg or better on the highway and will give me better performance and comfort than any old car.

I understand your love of old cars. I was raised around, in and under them. I was turning wrenches on street rods and antiques before I was tall enough to go on most of the rides at an amusement park. Old cars are in my blood. I know a lot about them, I've worked on a hell of a lot of them and I do love them.

As much as I love old cars though, muscle or otherwise, modern performance cars are superior in every way. There simply is no contest.The average modern full-size American pickup truck will smoke most of the muscle car-era rides. Very few of those muscle cars had what we would consider decent horsepower today.

Those that did were putting the power through a three-speed automatic transmission, or at best, a four-speed manual.The power was put through a driveline that was equally inferior to modern differentials, to skinny poly-glass tires with crap traction. The brakes, the suspension, the safety equipment; Pretty much every aspect of the car was unsuited for something that was to be pushed hard and driven fast.

On top of that, they truly did require a lot of maintenance. They had points, carbs and other old systems that could and did fail whenever they felt like it. They vapor-locked, they got wet, carbon-fouled or out-of-adjustment points that prevented the car from starting or running properly sometimes. The chokes could be temperamental. A vehicle tuned for one climate or elevation, ran like crap elsewhere. The materials used in pretty much every aspect of an old car's mechanical systems were inferior to modern cars. The rubber used to make tires, belts and hoses; bearing design and construction; Materials used for gaskets and sealants; Plastics, vinyls, paints, paint substrate chemicals, metal preparations and protective coatings; etc, etc, etc, etc. EVERYTHING has gotten light-years better.

I grew up in old cars. I also grew up fixing them. I know most of the ways they could break, or otherwise screw up your day. I remember the horrific things those old cars did to people in crashes. Anyone with a lot of experience with older cars, those who really love them, know that the love affair is often a love/hate relationship. Modern performance cars give you a hell of a lot more go, with almost none of the blow of old cars. That is a fact. Eric

Glock30Eric
12-24-2012, 21:53
Yup Eric

NOGIBJJ
12-24-2012, 22:38
I had a whole $3500 into my chevelle by the time I had it equipped with a 396, th400, and 12 bolt w/ 3.73 posi. I have since fully restored it twice. (my appreciation estimate based of what finished cars cost then vs now)

The depreciation you get with a newer car is not too far off the re-restoration cost after driving your '67 for 60K miles on the street. I never suggested a brand new Camaro, I suggest a barley used Vette less than 1/2 new cost. You must avoid the steep part of the depreciation curve.

If you daily drive your classic car, not just take it to shows on weekends, the normal wear and tear happen and although it is still 85% as nice as it was, it's now an "older restoration" or "a driver" and has depreciated. You are going to be $10K+ into freshening it back up.

If you parked them both in a garage and never looked at either car for several years, yes the 45 yr old car will retain it's value better. It's a moot point for a car you intend to put miles on.

All the daily driver muscle cars I've owned steadily appreciated - and none "needed 10K in freshening up later" - (of course they didn't appreciate as much as show only cars - but I never made that comparison). While every new or nearly new car depreciates monthly.

^