Satellite Radio, Yay or Nay? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio, Yay or Nay?

colin1230
12-22-2012, 16:06
I spent two hours in the dentist chair rocking to 70-80's classic rock. When I got home I checked out SiriusXM web site and didn't find it too helpful. I guess my question is it worth 15 bucks a month or not?

itisbruno
12-22-2012, 16:17
Not to me, my mp3 player rocks the vehicles, pay once, enjoy till it breaks, get another for $30 bucks

ray9898
12-22-2012, 16:22
It was great when I first subscribed, the novelty wore off and I returned to Pandora and MP3's.

19crew
12-22-2012, 16:23
It was great when I first subscribed, the novelty wore off and I returned to Pandora and MP3's.

Just listen to the radio.

longhaulcop
12-22-2012, 16:28
I had it in the car which I got free for the first year. It does get old after awhile and the commericals seemed to be increasing so I went back to just listening to my regular car radio. I am now setting up my iPad to the car radio to listen to my music and audio books on trips.

liquidsilver
12-22-2012, 16:31
I used it for a while then went back to streaming sources.

HollowHead
12-22-2012, 16:32
I do about 30K a year of driving and couldn't live without it. I take the receiver into the house/shop and hook it to the stereo. Worth it for me because the only local radio is Clear Channel or Chapparel. HH

MtBaldy
12-22-2012, 16:35
I've had it for about 3 years and like it. You'll really appreciate it when you can drive 600 miles listening to the same station.

HerrGlock
12-22-2012, 16:39
I got it to listen to the College Sports channel (91) and after poking around with the rest of it I believe I'm going to let it lapse until next September.

NeverMore1701
12-22-2012, 16:45
Nope.

vettely
12-22-2012, 16:50
If the price is right. Had for a year free and enjoyed it.

Brucev
12-22-2012, 16:59
Got it two years ago. Like it. Worth the money.

ray9898
12-22-2012, 17:06
Just listen to the radio.

I would rather listen to music than some blabbering DJ on some "morning show" or the same 20 song playlist.

colin1230
12-22-2012, 17:07
Thanks for the replies everybody. I will be getting a new truck in March and will take advantage of the free trial. Then make a decision to keep or not. Sure enjoyed it for awhile.

Billua
12-22-2012, 17:08
Pandora

ImpeachObama
12-22-2012, 17:18
Patriot channel and football coverage is great when your traveling. No static and you can listen from state to state nonstop.

Riverkilt
12-22-2012, 17:20
Had it free with a new ride since Sept. Living in a remote rural area where regular radio reception is limited and there's only one local station I'm liking it. Still trying to figure out the payment options and some way around automatic billing.

Attempts to talk to customer service have brought no help and representatives with a thick Hindu accent that insist they are in California...

airmotive
12-22-2012, 17:26
It's awesome if you do any long drives.
Blue Collar radio is always a good way to stay awake at 0230 on a long stretch of I-70.
Some good international radio too. Always some blues or reggae just a click away.
Lots of news. I like it.

clancy
12-22-2012, 17:40
I love it. We have one local rock station that is just ok. It plays the same 200 songs by the same 50 bands. It got old. I also like to listen to the liberal talk shows, especially Ed Shultz. Knowing what the enemy thinks is important.

skeeter7
12-22-2012, 18:10
I love mine. I paid the lifetime fee about 5 years ago and haven't paid a penny since and I'm still enjoying it everyday. Howard Stern and Octane all night at work then I throw the receiver in my truck while I'm driving around.

Gun Shark
12-22-2012, 18:14
Pandora, Spotify, and my iPod for me.

Fox184
12-22-2012, 18:19
I purchased a vehicle back in July and received a free 3 month trial offer. I am still getting the free service and am going on 6 months now. Everytime I get in my vehicle I guess whether it will still be on, so far so good.

The truth of the matter, when they finally disconnect it I won't miss it or care. Waste of money IMO, especially since the radios in the new vehicles have the auxillary plug to use Ipods, MP3's, etc.

MtBaldy
12-22-2012, 18:32
Had it free with a new ride since Sept. Living in a remote rural area where regular radio reception is limited and there's only one local station I'm liking it. Still trying to figure out the payment options and some way around automatic billing.

I pay it annually.

happy seal
12-22-2012, 18:58
I listen to nothing but Sirius! NFL, Comedy, commercial free music without the commercials and they yuck yuck disc jockies.

Only some of the talk shows have commercials and they suck but it's better than free radio commercials every 12 minutes for 6 minutes at a time.

I would not buy it if I did not travel all day for a living.

Red Stick
12-22-2012, 19:36
Two words... Jason Ellis!

ThePhoneGuy
12-22-2012, 19:47
Western states are populated with 'translators' for commercial radio. It is possible to drive out of range of a station in minutes. I love being to listen to a single channel for hours.

Lee-online
12-22-2012, 20:03
I have had XM for over 10 years and couldn't live without it in my vehicle. Too many channels to list what i like.

janice6
12-22-2012, 20:18
I have had XM for over 10 years and couldn't live without it in my vehicle. Too many channels to list what i like.

This and we have had it for over 10 years.

Just the "stuff" I want. No station searching while on the move. Specific content I choose to listen to, anywhere I go in the country.

G30SF/F-250
12-22-2012, 20:41
I love my Sirius and don't plan to go without it.

When I installed my last truck radio I didn't even hook up the antenna for local radio.

6 plus years now.

spork
12-22-2012, 20:43
I am on some kind of renewal deal for about 10 dollars a month. I think it is worth it for that amount. I tend to alternate between the satellite radio and my mp3 player while in the car.
I also get my subscription through the PC, so I can listen to it around the house on my laptop.

colin1230
12-22-2012, 20:48
The wife does Pandora on her smart phone and loves it.
I have a another question. If it is installed in your vehicle does a receiver for the home require another subscription?

G30SF/F-250
12-22-2012, 21:00
I have a another question. If it is installed in your vehicle does a receiver for the home require another subscription?

Yes, to stream on the computer is extra and each receiver is extra.

To listen on your phone is free but it eats away at your data.

SpoiledBySig
12-22-2012, 21:03
Before Sirius and XM merged (like 2008 I think?) I had Sirius and after the 30 day free trial with the satellite radio my son bought me for Christmas I got a Lifetime subscription with Sirius and they had to honor when they merged with XM. It cost $399.00 for a Lifetime subscription but it was worth it. That lifetime subscription is no longer offered (I think since they merged), but it's great having satellite radio for my long trips to work and back.

I don't really know if I would pay them $15.00 bucks a month, yeah...I guess I would.

G30SF/F-250
12-22-2012, 21:08
Before Sirius and XM merged (like 2008 I think?) I had Sirius and after the 30 day free trial with the satellite radio my son bought me for Christmas I got a Lifetime subscription with Sirius and they had to honor when they merged with XM. It cost $399.00 for a Lifetime subscription but it was worth it. That lifetime subscription is no longer offered (I think since they merged), but it's great having satellite radio for my long trips to work and back.

I don't really know if I would pay them $15.00 bucks a month, yeah...I guess I would.

I didn't get the lifetime because the fine print said that it was only good for the receiver. I didn't look into it after I read that so I don't know if that was true or not.

Do you know?

Smoker
12-22-2012, 21:14
I've had it for several years & enjoy it a lot, variety is great..

SpoiledBySig
12-22-2012, 21:21

With my subscription, I get it on my internet for free. If you have an additional receiver, it's going to cost you like $10.00 extra a month for each additional RECIEVER.

I have a Sirius XM TTR1 internet receiver (for outside by the pool), it's internet, but different programing (same stations-different songs going on) and it's different than my vehicle and internet Sirius XM radio programing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/evilon/Spoiled%202/SiriusXMTTR1.jpg

Because I raised a fuss on the phone with Sirius XM (telling them I have a life time subscription-they let me have free service for a little over a year (until late April 2013)..then I'll have to pay Sirius XM $3.95 a month for the TTR1 service (I'll probably pay them for 2-3 years service in one lump sum).

SpoiledBySig
12-22-2012, 21:25
I didn't get the lifetime because the fine print said that it was only good for the receiver. I didn't look into it after I read that so I don't know if that was true or not.

Do you know?

The Lifetime subscription is good for three (3) receivers...like if one gets broken or stolen I have only 2 wishes left from the Genie. I still have the original receiver (Starmate 4) that I got in 2008 and it still works fine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/evilon/Spoiled%202/Starmate5.jpg
(this is a Starmate 5, but the Starmate 4 looks and works the same).

AA_Khost
12-22-2012, 21:52
Love mine. Lifetime subscription.

skeeter7
12-23-2012, 05:31
The Lifetime subscription is good for three (3) receivers...like if one gets broken or stolen I have only 2 wishes left from the Genie.

This is correct. I'm also still on my first unit as well, the Sportster 5. I do listen a lot on the computer feed at work and only use the receiver when I'm in my truck or in the boombox at home. I believe that if you do need to switch to another unit during the lifetime subscription, you need to pay something like a $15 fee to switch the unit on that account.

Chonny
12-23-2012, 05:37
Ive never had it before but got Serious/XM in a new truck I got in May. Its amazing.

It makes long drives short.

I listen to a lot of the sports and news talk radio for music nobody is gonna play what I want to hear better than me and my ipod.

TSAX
12-23-2012, 05:40
It comes in handy for people I know who are on the road a lot for work and hate finding the local stations in the are they are in. Also the sports talk and events can be nice.

However, they do have huge complaints with Ripoff.com, the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Affairs. I have had it and cancelled then they charged me another year claiming I never cancelled and since I couldnt prove it and they didnt annotate my account when I first called and didnt have a receipt for it. I told them the people on the phone never offered me a receipt or cancellation number they just said ok your cancelled and tried to talk me out of cancelling. I got hosed and will never do business with them again. :steamed: This was several years ago, maybe now they do offer cancellation confirmation numbers now. :dunno:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_electronics/sirius.html

:50cal:

oldsoldier
12-23-2012, 05:46
I have it in the car but only because the wife likes it. I could do without it. I tune in the local FM radio shows since they have a swap/sell program every day and some good guns and other stuff often turn up. I would miss the local gun show advertisements too if I listend only to Sirius radio.

eracer
12-23-2012, 05:48
Commercials are invading XM/Sirius. This is just like cable was back in the early days:

"Ooooo, if you pay us money you can watch TV without commercials!"

Now, it's, "Pay us more money and we'll give you more commercials!"

And the quality of both is really bad. Satellite radio sounds horrible, and most cable HD bitstreams are a parody of what HD should look like.

Lowjiber
12-23-2012, 07:45
I have had one in my Jeep for three years (I pay annually.) and like it...especially in the desert.

xromad
12-23-2012, 08:15

Attempts to talk to customer service have brought no help and representatives with a thick Hindu accent that insist they are in California...

I've had it for about 10 years now, with a one year lapse. The cancellation hassle I went through with them taught me some lessons:

1. No credit card. Send me an invoice I send you a check. You don't need my phone # or my email.

2. It's worth $85/year to me. I call them when I get the $162.00 invoice and tell them they can cancel me or give me the same deal that I'm currently on. I get a second invoice in about a week for the $85.00

Overall they suck, but we drive out to S.D. a couple times a year and those trips kind of make it worth it.

SpoiledBySig
12-23-2012, 08:29
However, they do have huge complaints with Ripoff.com, the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Affairs. I have had it and cancelled then they charged me another year claiming I never cancelled and since I couldnt prove it and they didnt annotate my account when I first called and didnt have a receipt for it. I told them the people on the phone never offered me a receipt or cancellation number they just said ok your cancelled and tried to talk me out of cancelling. I got hosed and will never do business with them again. :steamed: This was several years ago, maybe now they do offer cancellation confirmation numbers now. :dunno:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_electronics/sirius.html

This rings true. I have heard complaints from people I know, that when they try to cancel the service that came with their vehicle...they either couldn't get through to SiriusXM, or they (Sirius XM) were simply continuing monthly or annual bills.

I don't exactly know what the problem is, but like anything, always get a name, employee # and date you spoke to them and have it ready for when you have to call them back (if you have to call them back) to prove such a cancellation was made.

I sort of wish the service would bring back Lifetime subscriptions because Lifetime subscribers would never have this problem.

At this time, I don't see them offering any more lifetime subscriptions-

http://www.siriusxm.com/ourmostpopularpackages-sxm

Kevin108
12-23-2012, 08:59
It's not worth $15 a month but they have promotions going all the time for $25 or $30 for 6 months. It's worth that.

My wife and I both have it in our vehicles. Hers is built into the radio on our new Escape. She has a lengthy commute and I try to keep her as happy as I can with her drive. I have an old Starmate Replay. I have mounts for it in both my Jeep and my company work van.

And yes, Jason Ellis. My wife listens to him all the time.

That said, if you already have a smartphone and don't care about fancy DJs, grab the TuneIn Radio app and listen to the GotRadio stuff. GotRadio 90s is like Lithium on Sirius; GotRadio Alternative is like AltNation; etc.

TSAX
12-23-2012, 09:23
This rings true. I have heard complaints from people I know, that when they try to cancel the service that came with their vehicle...they either couldn't get through to SiriusXM, or they (Sirius XM) were simply continuing monthly or annual bills.

I don't exactly know what the problem is, but like anything, always get a name, employee # and date you spoke to them and have it ready for when you have to call them back (if you have to call them back) to prove such a cancellation was made.

I sort of wish the service would bring back Lifetime subscriptions because Lifetime subscribers would never have this problem.

At this time, I don't see them offering any more lifetime subscriptions-

http://www.siriusxm.com/ourmostpopularpackages-sxm

Despite people not liking Wells Fargo, I can now file a complaint with them when I didnt approve a charge or believe its fraud and they will credit my account back right away so they cant do that to me today. Wish I had that back then when I dealt with Sirius. Oh well, live and learn. I dont know why they merged XM and Sirius but before they did it "seemed" like they were better.

FullClip
12-23-2012, 10:15
I use mine once in a while when I'm on a long drive or up in the woods where you can only get Canadian radio in French. But I'd say 96% of the time I listen to the local (WVOM) talk station outta Bangor on the radio.

When I'm in the mood for music, I either fire up the CD player or once in a great while, some old scratched vinyl and blow the dust outta the MKs. :supergrin:

Singlemalt
12-23-2012, 10:21
Absolutely the only thing I listen to. I pay annually.

SpoiledBySig
12-23-2012, 11:36
All I really know is this...in like 2008, SiriusXM stock was selling at like 5 cents a share, I consulted my stock broker and he talked me out of buying $10,000 worth of SiriusXM stock, he even talked me out of putting $5000.00 on SiriusXM stock. For the past few years, SiriusXM has been at like $2.90-$3.00 a share...my investment would have panned out nice, but Noooooo!....I listened to my stock broker who told me it was too risky.

It's just my dumb luck that I listened to a stock broker....who managed to have me lose more money with their own scam ideas. I mean, if SiriusXM had tanked, I'd be in trouble, but I had a feeling they would offer it installed in new cars as a selling point (they do) and even going by this thread, 7 or 8 people out of 10, who have SiriusXM like it. True story.

coastal4974
12-23-2012, 12:10
I had xm for a few years liked it because I'm lazy about getting my music and sat radio had good specials and fox news channel. I dumped them because they started to rip me off by jacking the price up and up. I started to ask around and found that just about everyone was paying a different amount, most less than me. After dumping them they kept begging me to return for as low as $25 for 6 months without auto renew and invoice billing. i never went back. They keep giving me 2 weeks free several times a year and that's been good enough for me.

I just bought a new car with the free trial. They already sent me a bill to keep it for only $200/yr. I might keep it for $75/ yr but no more than that. If they just charged everyone the same price, maybe $50 or $75 a year I think they would do a lot better.

1337-G
12-23-2012, 12:44
I've had it in two cars now. I love it, can't live without it. The prattling on of local 'djs' is enough to make you crazy so to get rid of that and then to have dozens of channels of commercial free content to choose from is awesome. I pay annually and am happy with the service.

Bruce H
12-23-2012, 13:32
I have a portable unit that I can move around. They are great in a dozer because of the places we run them. Our local stations will drive one completely nuts.

boomhower
12-23-2012, 16:11
I used to have it and really like it. But with streaming radio via my smartphone I cancelled it. I did really enjoy the nascar programming talk shows but that alone isn't worth paying for to me.

bush pilot
12-23-2012, 19:56
I had it almost 3 years and loved it, except for their customer service. I couldn't get an answer to my questions and when I thought things were settled they would immediately start in again with their sales pitch :steamed: If they would get a call center in the states or Canada I would resubscribe in a heartbeat.

Shark1007
12-23-2012, 21:08
I think it's worth the money. I have a receiver that I bought two car kits and two home kits for. I can transfer from two boats to two cars and can only listen to one at a time. Only one fee a month!

tslex
12-23-2012, 21:12
I have a long commute that would be much worse w/o Sirius.

Chainlink
12-23-2012, 21:14
I have had sat radio 5+ years love it. No matter my mood there is a station to fit it.

Badger54
12-23-2012, 21:23
It came as standard with my car I like it.

CombatCamera
12-23-2012, 23:28
I love my sat radio!

stevemc
12-24-2012, 05:43
Only if you like it. I came with my car when I bought it new, and I found out that bluegrass music is really good.

gommer
12-24-2012, 09:45
I got a year free with a car once. Never renewed it - eventually they send you a coupon for 6 months for $24.99.

I don't really care because all I listen to on it is the news. For everything else there is MP3.

Cybercowboy
12-24-2012, 10:01
Patriot channel and football coverage is great when your traveling. No static and you can listen from state to state nonstop.

Yup. I listen to the Patriot Channel, the Raw Dog Comedy Channel, Ozzy's Boneyard, and ESPN radio more-or-less every day while driving around. I'm going to renew my 3-year contract when it comes up in a few months. It's a bit pricey but I really like it.