Remora Holster The Nicest Review I will ever draft [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remora Holster The Nicest Review I will ever draft

Green Mountain Boy
12-22-2012, 18:17
I am a truth teller when it comes to reviews. My business is almost completely review driven. If a client does not like doing business with us everyone will know and we are sol.

Therefore when I write a review I tell the truth good, bad, or ugly. Notice the word amazing is not normally in my vocabulary.

I have just received my Remora 6GART. I have been wearing it all night and THIS THING IS AMAZING. I have tried other holsters and there is no doubt this is by far the best so far for concealing a G27.

I have only been able to carry my 27 when I was wearing a flannel shirt or something long. This is my typical casual attire but it is good to dress a bit nicer at work.

I am trying on outfit after outfit like a friggin girl and am ecstatic to find that this holster has expanded my G27 acceptable wardrobe considerably. I would have paid 3x the price for this thing (don't tell the folks at Remora).

I will be ordering one for every one of my firearms rather rapidly and I would suggest you do the same.

I am going to carry this all day tomorrow and report back.

Regards, GMB

RPVG
12-22-2012, 18:37
Wow! That's quite an endorsement.

PhotoFeller
12-22-2012, 18:40
Welcome to the club! They work anywhere around the waistband. They have a lifetime satisfaction guarantee. They're made in the USA (Naples, FL) by local folks. They're reasonably priced. What more could we ask for?

arushus
12-22-2012, 18:44
I love mine, I cant remember the exact model number, but it is the number 6 artemis cut with sweat shield and the stiffer insert. I use it for my G27 also. I love being able to just pick it up and tuck it in my pants and go...doesnt get any easier. Im getting one for my G19 soon.

4Baldy
12-22-2012, 19:07
I been wearing a Remora with my G-19 for the last year and I think it is the best thing since sliced bread. With out a doubt the most comforable holster I have ever had. Bought them for my wife and two of my daughters and they swear by them now. Good luck with yours...:supergrin:

Green Mountain Boy
12-22-2012, 19:25
I keep doing the old self pat down. You know the one you used to do on your first walmart walk where you constantly were afraid your gun was gone? I am doing it now because I swear it feals like its not even there. Of course it is every time.

Sgt.K
12-22-2012, 19:45
Wearing my G26 in one right now. Loose tied shorts no problem. Will be getting one for my new Gen 4 G19 very soon.

arushus
12-22-2012, 20:24
Remember to wash the outside of it every now and then. It will start to lose its tackiness as oil and other junk builds up on it. Personally i just wipe the outside down with alcohol and it brings it back to its usual tackiness.

RPVG
12-22-2012, 20:37
Hmmm. Lemme see if I have this right. This is a holster that just slips inside your waistband? No clip(s)? Nothing to hold it but friction?

Is that essentially correct?

danielcut
12-22-2012, 20:55
Hmmm. Lemme see if I have this right. This is a holster that just slips inside your waistband? No clip(s)? Nothing to hold it but friction?

That is correct. I love mine. I'm amazed that it works as well as it does.

G19goesBang
12-22-2012, 21:23
I have one for my Shield and one for my 19. I sold my crossbreed months ago. Its the only way to go IWB

RPVG
12-22-2012, 23:17
That is correct. I love mine. I'm amazed that it works as well as it does.Wow! I've gotta look into this!

I'm guessing the "6" is a size, and these Remoras come by "barrel length" or something, rather than matched to specific models of handguns.

Gotta look into this. Thanks!

Sgt.K
12-23-2012, 03:52
Wow! I've gotta look into this!

I'm guessing the "6" is a size, and these Remoras come by "barrel length" or something, rather than matched to specific models of handguns.

This link has a fitment chart and other info.

Remora (http://remoraholsters.com/Home_Page.html)

Glockfelty
12-23-2012, 06:10
I have one for my Glock 23 & 36, also have one for my S&W j frame. They are the most comfortably holster I have used. I too have to check to make sure it is still there. I can even wear it with my shirt tucked, and it just disappears. There is also the Sticky holster, of which I have. I believe two guys were partners in Remora and had a falling out and the one started Sticky. Both are made in Naples, FL.

Txnowtn
12-23-2012, 06:24
Remember to wash the outside of it every now and then. It will start to lose its tackiness as oil and other junk builds up on it. Personally i just wipe the outside down with alcohol and it brings it back to its usual tackiness.

I never thought of that. Thanks for the advice. I usually put my G26 in one and stick it in my front pocket. Us guys with "ample thighs" can do that and no one notices.

elde
12-23-2012, 07:05
I have several and carry something in a Remora each day. Alan's new holster that allows for both owb and iwb carry is brilliant & you can even add a removeable strap for owb carry, which is great for deep woods/mountain carry around my cabin.

Alan's a great guy as well. He stands behind his products 100%.

jamaicanj
12-23-2012, 07:16
I have four of the holsters. I also use a mag carrier for pocket carry.

Great service and great product that works as advertised.

cadillacguns
12-23-2012, 07:58
Yep dont ask me how they work either but they just do. Kinda like a mouse pad folded over your gun. Stick it and your gun in your waste band and away you go. Its that easy.

HGxyz
12-23-2012, 08:12
I wish the Remora was the first holster I ever bought instead of the 31st (but they didn't exist back then). The only thing I don't like is they leave me with a drawer full of idle leather and Kydex.

Some other advantages that may not have been mentioned above:

- Can get it in about a week
- Wear it anywhere in the waistband, any cant, any depth
- Make instant adjustment
- Don't need a "good gun belt"

MotoGlock
12-23-2012, 08:13
I am also going to add that the Remora holsters are one of the most comfortable

AtlantaR6
12-23-2012, 08:24
Apparently I'm in the minority. I have one for my G26.

It's thicker than a kydex holster, and I don't like the fact there is no retention clip.

I use my Uncle Mikes far more, as it's thinner and has a belt clip.

MLittle
12-23-2012, 08:41
I have a Remora for my Sig P220 Carry and don't like it.... It may have more to do with my carry position than anything else. I carry aiwb and find that the holster will move position when I sit down. Sitting down tends to move the holster up. Then, when I stand I have to move the holster down which requires frequent holster adjustment......a no no for concealed carry. I'll stick with traditional aiwb holsters with belt attachment using straps or clips.

Chainlink
12-23-2012, 09:00
I just got one a couple of weeks ago to use with a G29, works great. The holster also carries the G23 sizes :cool:

CA Escapee
12-23-2012, 09:07
Welcome to the club! They work anywhere around the waistband. They have a lifetime satisfaction guarantee. They're made in the USA (Naples, FL) by local folks. They're reasonably priced. What more could we ask for?

And remember, no remoras were harmed in the making of these holsters. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remora

I have one for my G26/M&P 40c and one for my Kimber Solo Carry.

Bill

CA Escapee
12-23-2012, 09:15

Here are some of the advantages I've found the Remora's have:

No clip, wear it anywhere around your waist, or in your pocket.
Wear it at any cant angle, or not.
Tuck it in as deep as you want.
No clip making it less trouble to remove and re-insert, versus a holster with loops/clips.

Bill

robhic
12-23-2012, 10:02
I carry aiwb and find that the holster will move position when I sit down. Sitting down tends to move the holster up.

I am disabled and sit all the time. I find if I put my Remora(s) at a forward cant they sorta slide past my hip and stay in place. (Plus it points past my rear end and not at my leg! :wow:)

Give it a try. You may like it.

attrapereves
12-23-2012, 10:10
I only really use mine for quick outings. It also makes a great holster for your bedside gun to keep the trigger covered.

happyguy
12-23-2012, 10:13
How well is the gun retained in this holster?

Regards,
Comrade Happyguy :)

SCmasterblaster
12-23-2012, 13:19
Crime control in action, my fellow GTers carrying their Glocks!!!

BADOS
12-23-2012, 14:59
I love my Ramora too. My Glock 27 fits in my front pocket on my cargo shorts or in the waistband. Very comfortable.

SCmasterblaster
12-23-2012, 15:07
I love my Ramora too. My Glock 27 fits in my front pocket on my cargo shorts or in the waistband. Very comfortable.

Just the right size, caliber, and weight

Dr. Leaky
12-24-2012, 09:18
Very comfortable in the pocket or waistband, but that stickiness also means I can put it next to me in the space between the front seats when driving and it stays there.

Lior
12-24-2012, 09:45
The beauty of the Remora holster is that it does its job remarkably well for a generic holster. I have used mine to conceal 5 guns of different shapes and sizes.

happyguy
12-24-2012, 09:55
The beauty of the Remora holster is that it does its job remarkably well for a generic holster. I have used mine to conceal 5 guns of different shapes and sizes.

How well does the holster retain the weapon?

Regards,

Lior
12-24-2012, 09:57

Regards,

Besides the videos of people doing gymnastics with them, I have run about 3 miles with a Shadow (3 lb of gun) in a Remora in my waistband and the gun didn't budge. But it must not be forgotten that concealment is by far the most important aspect of sidearm retention, and in this respect the Remora excels.

happyguy
12-24-2012, 10:03
Besides the videos of people doing gymnastics with them, I have run about 3 miles with a Shadow (3 lb of gun) in a Remora in my waistband and the gun didn't budge. But it must not be forgotten that concealment is by far the most important aspect of sidearm retention, and in this respect the Remora excels.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. :cheers: :wavey:

Regards,

unit1069
12-24-2012, 10:22
Wow! I've gotta look into this!

When I ordered my Remora I went by the chart on the web site. The model I bought was larger than I wanted, although it worked as advertised. I emailed Alan for return instructions and he said forget it, he'd send me another one free of charge. There's no question that Alan is a unique, customer-devoted businessman and I can confidently say that if for any reason the customer isn't happy he'll bend over backward to make things right.

The second Remora I received was the 6 ART designed for easy access to the pistol grip. It fits my G-32 as if I was standing there directing the manufacturing process. It also fits a somewhat smaller pistol very well and is the one I use to CCW that gun also. I mention this because I favor minimal holster size whenever possible and for me the site-recommended first holster had more material left over after covering the gun than I like.

The Remora is comfortable and takes only a small adjustment to move to any position, which is appreciated when standing or sitting. So far I have had no problems with it shifting although at times after driving a vehicle the holster may have ridden up. When stepping out of the vehicle all it's taken is for me to hitch up my pants --- a seemingly innocuous gesture --- that I believe doesn't signal I'm carrying a pistol. The Remora is very versatile and at the price it's well worth a try, in my opinion.

RPVG
12-24-2012, 10:46
"... I emailed Alan for return instructions and he said forget it, he'd send me another one free of charge. There's no question that Alan is a unique, customer-devoted businessman and I can confidently say that if for any reason the customer isn't happy he'll bend over backward to make things right.

"... The Remora is comfortable and takes only a small adjustment to move to any position, which is appreciated when standing or sitting. So far I have had no problems with it shifting although at times after driving a vehicle the holster may have ridden up. When stepping out of the vehicle all it's taken is for me to hitch up my pants --- a seemingly innocuous gesture --- that I believe doesn't signal I'm carrying a pistol. The Remora is very versatile and at the price it's well worth a try, in my opinion."
I've been checking out their website. Pretty amazing. I wouldn't think it would work, but after hearing so much good stuff here, I think I'll have to give it a go. Didn't realize they had so many models to choosse from!

Plus... at those prices, even if I hate it, I'm not out all that much.

"... hitch up my pants --- a seemingly innocuous gesture --- that I believe doesn't signal I'm carrying a pistol..." -- Nah. Ever notice when guys get out of a car they always hitch up their pants? When women get out of a car they smooth their butt. It's little differences like that which make carrying so easy and women so enjoyable.

Green Mountain Boy
12-24-2012, 11:15
I have been carrying this non stop the whole time I have had it.

It feels like it is not there as I type this.

I find the best postition to be most comfortable between 8 and 9.

I just wrestled on the floor for 45 min with a baby. The holster never moved once.

I am carrying my G27 which I can never get away with in business casual but I can today. This holster is going to allow me to ccw my favorite carry gun 95% of the time as opposed to 50%.

I am going to order one of these for every single pistol I own even ones I don't carry that often.

Regards, GMB

glocker73
12-24-2012, 11:38

Regards,

The holster itself has ZERO retention.

X-Centric
12-24-2012, 12:23
I have 3 Remora's. I've found that they fit more than one gun too. I have one for the LCR, another for the LCR which also fits the SP-101 which also fits the SR9C and a sweat shield one for the SR9C which also fits the G-19. I've used the belly band for IWB for years until I met Remora. I live in SW Florida where we have 8 month long summers and the Remora works great as I can shove it in the 2 o'clock position wearing shorts with a tight fitting untucked t-shirt. I keet the grips of the gun at belt level and it's un noticable. It works good for driving too. And their customer service is outstanding to say the least. It wouldn't be fair to Remora to tell you what they did for me but I was very surprised. Give them a try and if you don't like it let them know.

Sgt.K
12-24-2012, 13:44
Just picked up a 10 art for my new G19 Gen 4. Used code "holiday10" and got 10% off. Not sure how long the code is good for.

unit1069
12-26-2012, 09:31
Addendum to my earlier comments: I had to travel to the nearest Metropolis yesterday for our annual family Christmas get-together and since it's now Winter I decided to carry my compact 9mm (slightly longer, slimmer, but heavier than a G-26) in my Remora 6 ART.

It rode AIWB all the way there and back without moving, and whenever I felt uncomfortable having it in the same position all it took was a nudge from my hand or elbow to make a slight adjustment. I was comfortable the entire trip and for once I could think of a positive aspect to cold weather, as it makes this pistol more personally CCW friendly. A good thing as on the return trip we passed two squad cars that had stopped a car in the middle of a thoroughfare with handcuffed suspect standing alongside, and only minutes later a speeding car passed us on the right and the front seat passenger stuck his hand outside the window and fired two rounds from a handgun. It happened so fast I couldn't tell if shots were aimed or just to show off. Because it looked to me the shooter had the gun aimed into the air, and because the car was too far ahead to identify and quickly out of sight I decided not to call the police to report it. I'm sure sooner or later the perp(s) will be stupid enough to get themselves caught.

Drain You
12-26-2012, 09:43
They're great until you find your entire gun is bellow your belt line and you're reaching in to fish it out.

I wear mine every day though, just comfortable and isn't rough on the gun. Unfortunately I have to take it out and put it in a lock box at least once a day and the Remora is less abrasive.

happyguy
12-26-2012, 09:43

Thank you sir!

Regards,

cowboy1964
12-26-2012, 11:18
It would be useful to know what "other holsters" you've used.

The Remora is great but I have several holsters that are more concealable (MTAC, Blade-Tech Nano).

Lior
12-26-2012, 11:23

Quite right. Its retention stems from its use as a system.

optioneer
12-27-2012, 11:27
I've been carrying my OWB MX7 for years now. I am very happy with how it performs. Excellent retension, never prints with my Glock 27 with 2 round extension and one in the barrel. ( 12 total) I carry that way year round.

Lately I'm Thinking about Remora for a little more concealment in summer. How well does it stay in place ? I get in and out of a truck all day long. Carrying 1 in the barrel?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

redbaron007
12-27-2012, 11:55
I enjoy the Remora holster. It's great for a quick run to the store....good IWB for quick stuff...although I have used it a few times for hiking and it stayed put.

As for retention, if one wants to do flips or other related activities, you may want to get a different holster. If have to do quick movements, it stays put.

:wavey:

red

optioneer
12-27-2012, 12:03
thanks redbaron007 for your thoughts

Green Mountain Boy
12-27-2012, 12:24
I am carrying fully charged. I would not own a holster or practice a carry method that resulted in me not being able to do so.

I have worn this constantly. My only complaint is in and out of the truck. Sometimes it moves just a little bit. Normally it is because it catches on the seat as I jump down.

This doesn't even happen every time and again it moves less than a quarter inch.

It is the most comfortable holster I have ever worn. I will wear this to work every day. I agree I have better options for hiking etc but other than that this is the best IWB in my book.

David_Ely
12-27-2012, 19:16
I just ordered one for my Taurus 605. They are having a 25% off sale right now with Promo code newyear25.

I'M Glockamolie
12-27-2012, 22:25
I just ordered one for my Taurus 605. They are having a 25% off sale right now with Promo code newyear25.

Thanks for that! I just ordered and mentioned this thread.

Green Mountain Boy
12-28-2012, 12:02
I guess at this point it would be good for me to note that I have zero affiliation eh?

New update.

I wore this all of the last 48 hours helping our guys out with snow removal and the like. In and out of truck plowing, shoveling, and snowblowing and not a single issue. Liking it more and more every second.

Regards, GMB

roger123
12-28-2012, 15:24
Just ordered two, one for my Glock and one for my Smith. My buddies been telling how great they are so I finally bit the bullet.

splitfinger09
12-28-2012, 19:45
So with a G17 RTF2 should I get no sweat shield, sweat shield, or full sweat shield? I dont sweat very much but im nevous about that grip irritating me.

danielcut
12-28-2012, 19:48
So with a G17 RTF2 should I get no sweat shield, sweat shield, or full sweat shield? I dont sweat very much but im nevous about that grip irritating me.

I may be wrong but I believe the sweat shield is more to keep sweat off of your gun and less about avoiding irritation. Again, I may be wrong.

SCmasterblaster
12-29-2012, 09:08
I am glad that you like your Remora - keep on carrying that Glock!

splitfinger09
12-29-2012, 11:11
I may be wrong but I believe the sweat shield is more to keep sweat off of your gun and less about avoiding irritation. Again, I may be wrong.

It's hard tell but it looks like part of the sweat shield covers the whole grip on the side that touches the body. I will prob just have to call them. So how hard is it to conceal a G17? I have the option to open or conceal here in Oklahoma. This will be my first time carrying.

Green Mountain Boy
12-29-2012, 19:14
keep a t shirt tucked into your pants and you are good to go that will remove any irritation from the gun being there

Sgt.K
12-31-2012, 14:34
Just pulled my new 10 art out of the mailbox. Fits my G19 perfectly. Fast shipping considering I ordered late Christmas Eve. BTW I also have one for my Kahr PM9 a 3B, don't have to specify art as it already is. Or it appears to be to me. Thanks!

unit1069
12-31-2012, 23:20
keep a t shirt tucked into your pants and you are good to go that will remove any irritation from the gun being there

Yes, that's always worked for me no matter what IWB holster I use.

Smokin45
01-01-2013, 00:12
I know the local sales rep for Remora ( Florida Panhandle area) and would be happy to pass along his contact info to anyone with any questions regarding their holsters. Please PM me if youd like!

Rick305
01-01-2013, 00:43
I had a remora for my old G19 I sold it the next day it was a pos.

I got a sticky holster which was 1,000000 times better.

unit1069
01-01-2013, 01:13

Sure. You bought the Remora for $25 and sold it immediately for ... ? Did you take a .25 cent hit on that "pos" or did you actually make a profit?

Snowman92D
01-01-2013, 02:07

I got a sticky holster which was 1,000000 times better.

Is that your opinion as a white man, or as a black man? :rofl:

SCmasterblaster
01-01-2013, 09:27
Is that your opinion as a white man, or as a black man? :rofl:

???????????:upeyes::upeyes:

Snowman92D
01-01-2013, 10:29
???????????:upeyes::upeyes:

Read down the thread on this page; Post #81:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1451111&page=4

Rick305 says he's black and sings the praises of Obama. Then, Machinist outs him with a quote and link to a thread where 305 said he was white.

SCmasterblaster
01-01-2013, 11:07
Read down the thread on this page; Post #81:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1451111&page=4

Rick305 says he's black and sings the praises of Obama. Then, Machinist outs him with a quote and link to a thread where 305 said he was white.

Oh, I get it - an Obama supporter. Gag me with the Electoral College!

jbailey8
01-01-2013, 11:38
Does anyone use a Remora without an undershirt or underwear? A few years ago during an underwear shortage in Iraq, I decided to go commando ever since. So, I guests I'm wondering if its ok to wear directly against the skin? Is the texture uncomfortable?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

SCmasterblaster
01-01-2013, 11:44
Was it so bad in CA? What part? I lived in LA for a while. Horrible traffic.

Sgt.K
01-01-2013, 11:48
Does anyone use a Remora without an undershirt or underwear? A few years ago during an underwear shortage in Iraq, I decided to go commando ever since. So, I guests I'm wondering if its ok to wear directly against the skin? Is the texture uncomfortable?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

I wear mine with my sleeping short/pants (not while I'm sleeping, lol) and I don't wear underwear with them. Not really an uncomfortable just took some time to get used to. HTH

SCmasterblaster
01-01-2013, 15:33
It's hard tell but it looks like part of the sweat shield covers the whole grip on the side that touches the body. I will prob just have to call them. So how hard is it to conceal a G17? I have the option to open or conceal here in Oklahoma. This will be my first time carrying.

I find it quite easy to conceal a G17, but I am 6 foot, 230 pounds.

pegwedge
01-01-2013, 19:46
Has anyone used a Remora with a full size 1911? I have two Remoras so far and love them, just not sure how they would handle a heavy gun.

jamaicanj
01-01-2013, 20:53
Has anyone used a Remora with a full size 1911? I have two Remoras so far and love them, just not sure how they would handle a heavy gun.

I have a custom remora that I use for my rmr'd g17 with x300 light. It's quite a big package and a bit hefty, but the remora works just fine.

T-Rod45
01-01-2013, 21:34
I love my Theis IWB kydex/leather hybrids (own 4 of them) but I'm always up for options. Just ordered a 6ART with sweat shield. I'm hoping it will fit my M7P Shield, Glock 23, and Walther PPQ... We shall see! :cool:

I'M Glockamolie
01-02-2013, 17:42
I got mine in today. I think it will get some use, and in my 5 minute tryout, it stays put quite well. It seems it will be a good go-to option.

Green Mountain Boy
01-05-2013, 19:54
Still loving the Remora!

David_Ely
01-05-2013, 19:57
Just got mine in the mail today for my Taurus 605. Wore it around the house for a bit and it was very comfortable. I'm thinking of getting one for my PPK/S while they still have their 25% off New Years sale going.