Mentally challenged man pepper sprays man with down syndrome. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mentally challenged man pepper sprays man with down syndrome.

Gallium
12-22-2012, 20:20
:wow::faint:
Words fail me.

http://us.cnn.com/2012/12/20/justice/california-down-syndrome-custody/index.html?iref=obinsite

NeverMore1701
12-22-2012, 20:27
http://cdn.crushable.com/files/2012/11/mal-what.gif

Dragoon44
12-22-2012, 20:33
The police story does not make much sense to me. If they were investigating a domestic violence complaint the persons that were involved should have been able to tell them if this guy was involved.

Somebody had to have made the complaint couldn't they find them?

*ASH*
12-22-2012, 21:01
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/KK_Koala/blooper.gif
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/KK_Koala/when-people-are-arguing-and-try-to-pull-you-into-the-conversation.gif

G26S239
12-22-2012, 21:03
The people I know with Down's Syndrome, only 2 people, are not aggressive. I know that is anecdotal rather than evidence, but that combined with the Sherrif Captain's statement lead me to believe that the deputy screwed up real bad. People with Down's Syndrome have very distinctive features which may not have been visible at first but this case stinks.

.264 magnum
12-22-2012, 21:05
It takes one heck of man to pepper spray and baton a 4"11' 158 lbs. guy with down syndrome.

*ASH*
12-22-2012, 21:07
bet 20 to 1 cop keeps job . and paid

.264 magnum
12-22-2012, 21:31
The only way to win back significant support from the public is to fire officers when they can't control themselves or they totally misread a situation.

Fiery Red XIII
12-22-2012, 21:36
It takes one heck of man to pepper spray and baton a 4"11' 158 lbs. guy with down syndrome.

Ever try to wrestle a diabetic with low blood sugar? As an EMT, when they attack you point blank? Not saying that is the story here...but don't think because someone is small/challenged"/etc. that they can't hurt you. My MCL was torn by a 5'2" or so female walking/talking fine w/a BAC of .35

Red

lunarspeak
12-22-2012, 21:41
when the neghbors told the cops that he was mentally challenged then they should have handled it diffirent.

and the fact that they held him longer after he was out of the hospitail sounds like they were trying to think of how to spin this in thier favor

and they wonder why people hate cops...

.264 magnum
12-22-2012, 21:45
Ever try to wrestle a diabetic with low blood sugar? As an EMT, when they attack you point blank? Not saying that is the story here...but don't think because someone is small/challenged"/etc. that they can't hurt you. My MCL was torn by a 5'2" or so female walking/talking fine w/a BAC of .35

Red

No. There is simply no way to justify what went on in this situation. You know when a higher-up quickly admits that a LEO screwed up that screw up is monumental.

hpracing007
12-22-2012, 21:55

Yep, paid vacation time pretty much.

If that ever runs out, the other cops will pitch in their unused vacation time to help their fellow cop out, like in the harless case.

Patchman
12-22-2012, 21:57

The only way to win back significant support from the public is to fire officers when they can't control themselves or they totally misread a situation.

when the neghbors told the cops that he was mentally challenged then they should have handled it diffirent.

and the fact that they held him longer after he was out of the hospitail sounds like they were trying to think of how to spin this in thier favor

and they wonder why people hate cops...

And I'm sure all you gentlemen have your 20-20 hind sight glasses on, on Tuesday mornings.

Perhaps you all can share your experiences and knowledge on how to "keep the peace."

Fiery Red XIII
12-22-2012, 21:59
No. There is simply no way to justify what went on in this situation. You know when a higher-up quickly admits that a LEO screwed up that screw up is monumental.

not defending this specific situation...Just saying that because someone is 4'11"/ 158 pounds/ mentally challenged doesn't meant they cannot hurt someone. I was arguing that assertion.

Red

NorthCarolinaLiberty
12-22-2012, 22:04
The guy was 4'11" 158 lbs, so the deputy acted "to gain compliance and prevent a possible escape..."

Look out, Usain Bolt. You got company!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

.264 magnum
12-22-2012, 22:08
not defending this specific situation...Just saying that because someone is 4'11"/ 158 pounds/ mentally challenged doesn't meant they cannot hurt someone. I was arguing that assertion.

Red

Fair enough.

Merkavaboy
12-23-2012, 07:08

Obviously you:
1) Were at that exact location at the exact time this went down, or
2) Have a Crystal Ball and can see everything that happens at any given time, or
3) You're Omniscient

So, which one is it?

Averageman
12-23-2012, 07:54
Look at it this way,..
On the way to the domestic dispute you come upon someone who meets the discription and is rolling down the sidewalk looking a little, lets say "different".
If the Neighbors told me he was a bit "special" I would ask them to assist me as they seem to know him better than I do, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to check him out. You dont get a pass for being different.
I would say, chances are the neighbors got in on it after he was sprayed hoping for 5 minutes on the local network for the homies.