Credit Card Companies [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Credit Card Companies

hoghunter82
12-22-2012, 20:37
Based on the absolute panic I'm seeing in every LGS I've been to, I think the real winners are the credit card companies. Let's face it, none of the things being bought are cheap. Once reality hits and the bills start rolling in there are gonna be some broke ass people out there. Buying things based on emotion generally ends with financial pain. A lot of folks are going to have a lot of stuff they never really needed and will likely never use. Add this panic buying on top of normal Christmas spending and come January there will be many guys trying to hide those credit card statements.

Scott3670
12-22-2012, 20:54
Which is exactly why I bought my AR15 with cash. I refuse to use credit cards except for true emergencies or when I travel.

hoghunter82
12-22-2012, 20:59
Which is exactly why I bought my AR15 with cash. I refuse to use credit cards except for true emergencies or when I travel.

I can't argue that, but based on what I saw there were MANY folks using multiple credit cards on one sale- likely due to credit limits. I'm all for the second amendment but when it puts you and your family into your own fiscal cliff I think folks need to reevaluate what their priorities are.

Scott3670
12-22-2012, 21:03
I can't argue that, but based on what I saw there were MANY folks using multiple credit cards on one sale- likely due to credit limits. I'm all for the second amendment but when it puts you and your family into your own fiscal cliff I think folks need to reevaluate what their priorities are.

OK, now that's just plain stupid (using multiple credit cards, etc.). No other explanation is possible.

Chuck66
12-22-2012, 21:19

There's no room for rational thought in panic mode. Gotta get mine before I can't get it no more! :faint:

Gregg702
12-22-2012, 21:23
I use my credit cards for everything I buy, and pay them off every pay period. As long as you don't spend more than you can pay back, they are great for both purchase protection and rewards points. I recently got $400 in Visa debit cards from rewards/bonus points. Credit cards are the downfall of many people, but they are advantageous if you don't abuse them.

jknight8907
12-22-2012, 21:23
If/when the AWB scare blows over, I'm expecting a prime time for buying used ARs. All those credit card heroes will be looking to pay them off.

I'M Glockamolie
12-22-2012, 21:27
I can't argue that, but based on what I saw there were MANY folks using multiple credit cards on one sale- likely due to credit limits.

Could be credit limits, or hiding large purchases from the wife. I don't have that problem...well, the wife part. The girlfriend doesn't know or care where I spend my money.

I'M Glockamolie
12-22-2012, 21:28
If/when the AWB scare blows over, I'm expecting a prime time for buying used ARs. All those credit card heroes will be looking to pay them off.

As has been mentioned, I thought the same thing in '08. I never saw it.

IndyGunFreak
12-22-2012, 21:37

That's my hope.

Patchman
12-22-2012, 22:06
Based on the absolute panic I'm seeing in every LGS I've been to, I think the real winners are the credit card companies. Let's face it, none of the things being bought are cheap. Once reality hits and the bills start rolling in there are gonna be some broke ass people out there. Buying things based on emotion generally ends with financial pain. A lot of folks are going to have a lot of stuff they never really needed and will likely never use. Add this panic buying on top of normal Christmas spending and come January there will be many guys trying to hide those credit card statements.

If one needs to hide the CC statements, that their problem.

As far as I know, no one is forced to use CCs when making a purchase... any purchase.

RWBlue
12-22-2012, 23:13
Yes, I think it is an issue.

I lived through the first ban where I was able to buy just as the first ban took effect. This time, I have bought ahead of the price rise.

The question in my mind is, will I look back and say "thank god I got it when I did" or "I wish I had put it in my Roth IRA". At this point, I think the jury is out.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.