What free float rail to use .. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What free float rail to use ..

Midasknight
12-22-2012, 23:05
Have this BCM upper : https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM-URG-M4-16

Going to put a gas block on it. What type of free float rail or at least length of free float rail to use ? Thanks.

camelotkid
12-22-2012, 23:15
daniel defense is where its at

smokin762
12-22-2012, 23:21
Standard length for handguards on a carbine model is 7".

Leper
12-23-2012, 09:31
http://www.vltorstore.com/casv-s-step-level-mid-length-handguard/
Killer sale on that right now. I ordered one myself over the weekend. That one will work with your low profile gas block. Without it you would need...

http://www.vltorstore.com/casv-els-step-level-carbine-handguard/

Midasknight
12-23-2012, 15:44
Thanks people. So an 7" free-float rail or maybe 9" free-float then ? I've seen many makes ..... what's your favorite ?

Made in Austria
12-23-2012, 15:57
I love Daniel Defense rails, especially the 12 inch lite and RISII free float rails. Well worth the money.

I highly recommend this low profile clamp on gas block from Daniel Defense. It fits under every rail and doesn't require any modifiactions to the barrel and still holds rock solid on your barrel. Just clamp it on your barrel, align everything nicely and done, you don't even need to put loctite on clamp on/cross bolt designs.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/245666/daniel-defense-low-profile-gas-block-clamp-on-ar-15-lr-308-standard-barrel-750-inside-diameter-steel-matte

WoodenPlank
12-23-2012, 17:03
I love my Daniel Defense RIS II rail, but the install isn't for newbies. You HAVE to have a proper bench setup, vice, upper receiver block and a torque wrench.

If you want simple, look at the Daniel Defense Omega rail - it drops into the standard D-ring assembly, then bolts together. It is a free float rail, and will work with either an A-frame (need the 7" on a carbine) or a low profile gas block (go as long as you want).

If you go with a low profile block, either send it off to be pinned in place, or get a set-screw type gas block and have the barrel dimpled under one of the screws. This will keep the gas block from walking loose over time.

SCSU74
12-23-2012, 17:46
I like the VTAC/Troy Alpha rail a lot better than anything DD puts out. For me, the round tube is a lot more comfortable and it also allows you to add rail sections where you want instead of the clunky quad rail with DD. The alpha has a full length rail on top and comes with 3 rail sections that you can place in any of the slots.

I think I paid $130 for mine, I got the 13" version and it's perfect for the way I shoot. I have a DD fixed front sight behind an X300, IWC handstop at 6 o clock, and a VTAC rail less sling mount in one of the slots.

Install is very easy, mounts up to stock barrel nut and is rock solid. I used a MI lo pro gas block if i remember right. DD doesn't really offer anything crazy that justified paying over double, especially with the ergonomics of the alpha.

http://www.skdtac.com/VTAC-Extreme-BattleRail-13-p/vkg.209.htm

JBUS
12-23-2012, 17:46
Centurion Arms C4 cutout...

mjkeat
12-23-2012, 19:36
That VLTOR is heavy as are the cut-out models offered by various companies. I prefer light tube like rails. I also like 12" or 13" rails. Take a dremel to the FSP and throw a Troy Alpha on there.

Fwdftw
12-23-2012, 20:44
Another vote for Centurion Arms.

durian00
12-23-2012, 20:54
That VLTOR is heavy as are the cut-out models offered by various companies. I prefer light tube like rails. I also like 12" or 13" rails. Take a dremel to the FSP and throw a Troy Alpha on there.

Agree. Unless you absolutely have to have a quad rail, Troy, Samson or Daniel Defense tubular rails are lighter.

WoodenPlank
12-23-2012, 20:59
The slick tubes only really work for me on A) longer guns (with longer tubes) or B) guns where you're mounting nothing more than a front sight and MAYBE a foregrip. A short tube gets very lumpy when mounting a front sight, light, and foregrip in a limited amount of space.

Plus, a DD quad rail barely weighs more than a slick tube when you look at the weight of the DD Lite barrel nut, and the weight of the add-on rail sections for the slick tubes.

mjkeat
12-23-2012, 21:12
That's why you go to IWC and skip the add-on rails.

durian00
12-23-2012, 21:12
Aside from weight, slick/tubular rails are less expensive if cost is an issue. I have a DD RIS Ii and an Omega 9" and both are light for sure and they're both $280+.

mjkeat
12-23-2012, 21:14
I do like the feel of 12 inches of RIS II though.

WoodenPlank
12-23-2012, 21:23
I do like the feel of 12 inches of RIS II though.

I love my Mk. 18 RIS II rail. I know I am eventually going to wind up with a rail on my 16" mid, just not sure what I want to go with. Right now it's between the M4 RIS II and a Centurion.

OMDonald
12-23-2012, 22:19
MI SS Gen 2 15"

Or anything by DD

Midasknight
12-23-2012, 23:56
Very good suggestions here ... Tube rail looks promising. I want the rail front to be flush with the front of the gas block. Just don't know if that's 7" 9" 10" ? 16" barrel ....

SCSU74
12-24-2012, 23:20
I have a 13" rail on a 16" carbine length rifle. I would say the 11" rail would be closest to flush with the gas block.

Walt_NC
12-25-2012, 12:59
I have 13" VTAC tube on my game gun. It's great for gaming but I didn't like it on a defensive rifle because of the modular rails. With a full-length rail on top of the handguard, there wasn't enough room to mount a rail at the 10 or 2 o'clock - IIRC, the rail will technically fit but there isn't enough space between the rails to mount anything. Placing rails at the 9 or 3 causes whatever you want to mount stick out too far from the handguard for my tastes.

Midasknight
12-25-2012, 16:35
Thanks for all the feedback ! :cool:

SCSU74
12-29-2012, 22:02
I have 13" VTAC tube on my game gun. It's great for gaming but I didn't like it on a defensive rifle because of the modular rails. With a full-length rail on top of the handguard, there wasn't enough room to mount a rail at the 10 or 2 o'clock - IIRC, the rail will technically fit but there isn't enough space between the rails to mount anything. Placing rails at the 9 or 3 causes whatever you want to mount stick out too far from the handguard for my tastes.

What all are you putting on there? My light is at 12 and my handstop is at 6. Love the setup

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

mjkeat
12-29-2012, 22:21

So don't use the add-on rail pieces. Problem solved.

I really like the Troy tubes and use IWC mounts for almost everything. I think the add-on rails are the weak link. IWC allows me to bypass them and still be able to mount anything and everything I need. It also looks cooler and is more streamlined than those rails.

The Troy tubes make for a great anything type of AR. Gaming or defensive, GTG.

SCSU74
12-30-2012, 01:00
So don't use the add-on rail pieces. Problem solved.

I really like the Troy tubes and use IWC mounts for almost everything. I think the add-on rails are the weak link. IWC allows me to bypass them and still be able to mount anything and everything I need. It also looks cooler and is more streamlined than those rails.

The Troy tubes make for a great anything type of AR. Gaming or defensive, GTG.

Yep! Love IWC. Mine has performed great as a work gun..

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

gbanker
12-30-2012, 12:48
+1 on the Vtac Alpha 13". I just picked one up, not sure if I'm going to put it on a 14.5300 BO or a 18 spr. Sweet Rail though.