i will not loss sleep over all this AWB crap [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : i will not loss sleep over all this AWB crap

lunarspeak
12-22-2012, 22:06
i dont want a ban, and i myself love the dreaded " BLACK RIFLE" but some of you guys are freaking out to much..

if it happens it happens but the gunstores will still be open the next day...and if i cant spend a grand on a AR ill spend it on a good bolt action with a nice peice of glass..or a lever action with a nice trigger job..

some idiot told me today that the goverment wants him to be defenseless in whitch i said "you can always buy something other then a semi"..he looked at me like i was speaking russian..he couldnt fathom it

Ruggles
12-22-2012, 22:14
Oh it is gonna get hot in here I think :)

Objectively you are right, shooting sports and self defense won't go away totally with a new AWB. They did not last time. But it is not a concession that needs to be made.

Fiery Red XIII
12-22-2012, 22:18
i dont want a ban, and i myself love the dreaded " BLACK RIFLE" but some of you guys are freaking out to much..

if it happens it happens but the gunstores will still be open the next day...and if i cant spend a grand on a AR ill spend it on a good bolt action with a nice peice of glass..or a lever action with a nice trigger job..

some idiot told me today that the goverment wants him to be defenseless in whitch i said "you can always buy something other then a semi"..he looked at me like i was speaking russian..he couldnt fathom it

If you typed it, I see why he couldn't. Punctuate. Capitalize the first letter of a sentence. Learn the correct use of they're/there/their. Learn the correct use of which/witch. Learn lose versus loss. What happens with no grandfather clause? What happens when they don't stop at AR's?

Red

NickC50310
12-22-2012, 22:19
I dont see how it could even pass the senate or the house. As dumb as obama is with his skirting of the law i seriously doubt he could issue some sort of executive order or if he could that it couldnt promptly be overturned. So how does a new awb happen?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Dan_ntx
12-22-2012, 22:21
Personally I think they are too dopey to get anything done... The hard liner anti crowd will go too far with their demands, the more reasonable anti gun crowd will attach too much other legislation to what they try to pass, and the pro second amendment crowd will (hopefully) slow down the train wreck and let the usual outcome prevail...nothing.

G30SF/F-250
12-22-2012, 22:21
I dont see how it could even pass the senate or the house. As dumb as obama is with his skirting of the law i seriously doubt he could issue some sort of executive order or if he could that it couldnt promptly be overturned. So how does a new awb happen?

How did Obamacare happen? :whistling:

mixflip
12-22-2012, 22:22
Its not about semi auto being a right. Its about having the same technology (or better) than your assailant. Assailant being a home invader or a tyrannical government it doesnt really matter does it. If a bad guy comes to your property with an illegal obtained firearm that he got off the black market (aka the streets where many guns did not get turned in by bad guys) then you need an equal level firearm.

This is why you need a semi auto and not a pump or lever action etc etc.

I dont mind having single action cowboy guns if we all have them as an equal playing field but Im guessing a bad guy or tyrants will not be using them.

NickC50310
12-22-2012, 22:25

A democrat majority in both chambers and even with that it was extremely painful for them and barely passed. Clearly they dont have a majority in the house now.

Ruggles
12-22-2012, 22:27
2014 ain't far away though. Could be a game changer...

I might have to buy "The Rifleman" on DVD to brush up on my lever action skills :)

NickC50310
12-22-2012, 22:31
2014? I assume youre talking about mid term elections? Democrats will get crushed just like in 2010 because most democrats only turn our for the presidential election.

Jgriggs
12-22-2012, 22:40
2014? I assume youre talking about mid term elections? Democrats will get crushed just like in 2010 because most democrats only turn our for the presidential election.

I hope you are right.

Obama a lame duck for the last two years. . .please let it be so.

Ruggles
12-22-2012, 22:41

I was and I hope you are right. But it could turn towards the Dems. It is not a sure thing that the Republicans hold much less crush the dems.

frank4570
12-22-2012, 23:04
And if we have another Sandy Hook everything will change for good.

MadMonkey
12-22-2012, 23:39

So you'll be content with a single-shot shotgun once they've whittled away a little more?

Or a knife once they've banned ALL firearms?

Or your fists once knives are banned?

*ASH*
12-22-2012, 23:55
dude , im going ALL IN LIKE DARYL . soon to be stocking up on cross-bows and sling shots and high powered pneumatic marsh mellow guns ,

certifiedfunds
12-23-2012, 00:13
I don't see why he can't EO it.

NickC50310
12-23-2012, 00:14
I pray i am right and pray that our reps dont sell us down the river. I just hope the nra shield program can get some traction before another sandy hook.

cowboy1964
12-23-2012, 00:23
Its not about semi auto being a right. Its about having the same technology (or better) than your assailant. Assailant being a home invader or a tyrannical government it doesnt really matter does it. If a bad guy comes to your property with an illegal obtained firearm that he got off the black market (aka the streets where many guns did not get turned in by bad guys) then you need an equal level firearm.

This is why you need a semi auto and not a pump or lever action etc etc.

You can take that argument to any level. What if the bad guy is rocking full auto? Etc.

lunarspeak
12-23-2012, 00:24
So you'll be content with a single-shot shotgun once they've whittled away a little more?

Or your fists once knives are banned?

im not saying id be content but if they ban semi's then i will buy other guns and practice and be just as deadly.

if they ban guns alltogether then ill get the best knife i can afford and ill practice defending myself

if all i have is my hands then ill buy a punching bag and take some kind of martial arts

the point of the thread is that alot of people are acting like the semi auto/ak..ar/ black rifle/ is the be all end all of selfdefense...

i bet if you take some of the mooks that have been buying AR's as of late and pitt them against one of these cowboy action shooters im betting the CAS would win a majority of the time with his old west tech.

im not saying this about everyone,not even the majority ..but a guy that really trains can be just as effective in a gunfight with non semi as he can be with a Ak...

Magnus2131
12-23-2012, 00:44
I've been hearing don't worry ever since Obama has been in office.

mixflip
12-23-2012, 00:48
You can take that argument to any level. What if the bad guy is rocking full auto? Etc.

True. Right now full auto are still legal in my state and there is no talk of banning them as far as I know?

To play devils advocate... how many home invasions (or any crime for that matter) involved a registered owner of a transferable select fire/full auto firearm?

While its 100% plausible, its unprecedented in my lifetime. Maybe back in prohibition...but even then they weren't registered back then. You could have a machine gun mailed to your front door.

stevelyn
12-23-2012, 00:55

You are a fool. Once they get the black rifles banned, they are going to go after your handguns and then your scoped hunting (sniper) rifle and then your shotguns.

These people are your enemies. The are the enemy of your freedoms. They don't give a **** about you or crime. They want power over every facet of your life. They want you disarmed.

vikingsoftpaw
12-23-2012, 00:55
While its 100% plausible, its unprecedented in my lifetime. Maybe back in prohibition...but even then they weren't registered back then. You could have a machine gun mailed to your front door.

It's a moot point. I had the pleasure of eavesdropping on a conversation tonight. Some guy was telling other people that the difference between a full auto AR and a semi auto was a single pin....

Jgriggs
12-23-2012, 03:17
It's a moot point. I had the pleasure of eavesdropping on a conversation tonight. Some guy was telling other people that the difference between a full auto AR and a semi auto was a single pin....

Doesn't matter if it's a single pin or not. Its still illegal to modify the rifle in that way. It's not like it's 1986 or something.

RyanBDawg
12-23-2012, 03:28
And if we have another Sandy Hook everything will change for good.

http://www.godubois.com/blahdocs/uploads/pearl_river_ms_4507.jpg

ithaca_deerslayer
12-23-2012, 03:35
im not saying id be content but if they ban semi's then i will buy other guns and practice and be just as deadly.

if they ban guns alltogether then ill get the best knife i can afford and ill practice defending myself

if all i have is my hands then ill buy a punching bag and take some kind of martial arts

the point of the thread is that alot of people are acting like the semi auto/ak..ar/ black rifle/ is the be all end all of selfdefense...

i bet if you take some of the mooks that have been buying AR's as of late and pitt them against one of these cowboy action shooters im betting the CAS would win a majority of the time with his old west tech.

im not saying this about everyone,not even the majority ..but a guy that really trains can be just as effective in a gunfight with non semi as he can be with a Ak...

No. People are getting bent out of shape because the antis have come out of the woodwork again and want to ban, BAN, BAN.

They'll ban everything we let them.

You may have to register your hands with the FBI. And then using your karate skills will be BANNED.

The anti-gun people are MONSTERS who want victim zones and want to take away your basic right to self-defense.

Their going after the AR as if it is somehow better or different or special compared to other guns just shows how bad they want to ban stuff.

They've picked a hill that has no meaning, just to see if we will defend it.

schild
12-23-2012, 05:05
I predict a future ban on assault lever-actions, the '94 Winchester was the assault weapon of the day.:whistling:

M&P15T
12-23-2012, 05:24
I dont see how it could even pass the senate or the house.

It can, and, sadly, it probably will.

I have explained the politics of this before in a recent thread, but it seems most GTers just aren't interested in understanding what is happening.

JMS
12-23-2012, 05:39
It can, and, sadly, it probably will.

The anti's know how to play the heart strings of the population, the NRA doesn't. The NRA needs a trained spokesperson, being able to see both sides of the coin (not that I agree with the other side), I could easily see if someone didn't truly understand the underlying issues, the NRA wouldn't swing them in our direction.

Spiffums
12-23-2012, 05:55
2014 ain't far away though. Could be a game changer...

I might have to buy "The Rifleman" on DVD to brush up on my lever action skills :)

Drill and tap the lever with a set screw to trip the trigger as you close the action. That's how that rifle worked :cool:

M&P15T
12-23-2012, 06:07
The anti's know how to play the heart strings of the population, the NRA doesn't. The NRA needs a trained spokesperson, being able to see both sides of the coin (not that I agree with the other side), I could easily see if someone didn't truly understand the underlying issues, the NRA wouldn't swing them in our direction.

Leme try and explain this quickly without too many words.

It's about votes in the legislature, political capital, and ground-swell support for gun-control legislation.

We gun owners need to understand that pro-gun folks represent a very small minority, and anti-gun folks also represent a very small minority. Right now, neither group is going to be the main force behind the coming anti-gun legislation.

The vast majority of people in this country are not interested in guns and gun-control one way or another. They don't care one bit, can't be bothered to take a stance one way or the other.

Until Sandy Hook.

Now our elected representatives in the legislature are being bombarded on a daily basis with phone calls, e-mails and letters demanding gun-control legislation, from millions of people that previously couldn't have cared less.

There now exists in this country a rapidly rising tide of support for gun control. It gives anti-gun legislators the political capital to coherse other elected representatives to vote for gun-control, that normally would vote against it.

The real force behind the looming anti-gun legislation is every-day folks that, previous to Sandy Hook, had no interest in guns or gun-control.

This is what is happening, that's the "how and why" of the coming legislation.

Our only hope is that passing time, and the fight over the "Fiscal Cliff", will turn media attention away for long enough that the support for gun control legislation loses it's momentum. Sadly, I doubt it will.

Chonny
12-23-2012, 06:14
Are you kidding man. Gun control is not the number one issue in the country. Its a hot talking point right now but that will dwindle out, already is, and its only been a little over one week.

M&P15T
12-23-2012, 06:18
Are you kidding man. Gun control is not the number one issue in the country. Its a hot talking point right now but that will dwindle out, already is, and its only been a little over one week.

I....uhhhhh....mentioned that at the end of my post.

I think your particular belief, that nothing is going to happen this time, because nothing has happened over the last 10+ yeats of mass shootings, is sorely miss-placed. I believe that the Sandy Hook shootings are having an emotional effect on the populace unlike anything we have seen in recent memory. I think the killing of 20 6 & 7 year olds has created a massive ground-swell of support for gun-control legislation.

So I am still of the mind that enough support will still exist in January or Febuary to get something passed.

And there MOST CERTAINLY WILL be legislation passed if we have another mass-shooting in the near future.

And if the parents of the lost children of Sandy Hook get together and appear before Congress, televised live, appealing emotionally for more gun-control legislation during debate?

Fuggetaboutit, we're done.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-23-2012, 07:05
Leme try and explain this quickly without too many words.

It's about votes in the legislature, political capital, and ground-swell support for gun-control legislation.

We gun owners need to understand that pro-gun folks represent a very small minority, and anti-gun folks also represent a very small minority. Right now, neither group is going to be the main force behind the coming anti-gun legislation.

The vast majority of people in this country are not interested in guns and gun-control one way or another. They don't care one bit, can't be bothered to take a stance one way or the other.

Until Sandy Hook.

Now our elected representatives in the legislature are being bombarded on a daily basis with phone calls, e-mails and letters demanding gun-control legislation, from millions of people that previously couldn't have cared less.

There now exists in this country a rapidly rising tide of support for gun control. It gives anti-gun legislators the political capital to coherse other elected representatives to vote for gun-control, that normally would vote against it.

The real force behind the looming anti-gun legislation is every-day folks that, previous to Sandy Hook, had no interest in guns or gun-control.

This is what is happening, that's the "how and why" of the coming legislation.

Our only hope is that passing time, and the fight over the "Fiscal Cliff", will turn media attention away for long enough that the support for gun control legislation loses it's momentum. Sadly, I doubt it will.

Hey, you are smart :)

Also, laws are made by very few people. Those people, the lawmakers, are self-serving. For the most part (in my opinion), they do what it takes to get re-elected. Sure, some of them have agendas, but most in the end bend toward getting re-elected. As they watch the general voting population change on an issue they will go along.

I would love if politicians adhered to the US Constitution and principles of freedom, but they don't. So we have seatbelt laws, and some pretty silly gun laws.

HexHead
12-23-2012, 07:32

Nancy Pelosi was Speaker of a Democrat controlled House. Not the case now.

M&P15T
12-23-2012, 07:34
Hey, you are smart :)

Also, laws are made by very few people. Those people, the lawmakers, are self-serving. For the most part (in my opinion), they do what it takes to get re-elected. Sure, some of them have agendas, but most in the end bend toward getting re-elected. As they watch the general voting population change on an issue they will go along.

I would love if politicians adhered to the US Constitution and principles of freedom, but they don't. So we have seatbelt laws, and some pretty silly gun laws.

Yuuuup.

3rdgen40
12-23-2012, 14:18

Or your fists once knives are banned?Tighten up your tin foil hat...:upeyes:

VC-Racing
12-23-2012, 14:38
Only bolt gun I want is a Barrett Model 99 ....

JuneyBooney
12-24-2012, 09:12

Unless he is "The Rifleman" he has a point. :rofl:A good five to ten shot minimum is needed for home defense when living in bad areas. Many rounds can be fired in a defensive melee with gangbangers.

MadeInAmerica
12-24-2012, 10:32
If you typed it, I see why he couldn't. Punctuate. Capitalize the first letter of a sentence. Learn the correct use of they're/there/their. Learn the correct use of which/witch. Learn lose versus loss. What happens with no grandfather clause? What happens when they don't stop at AR's?

Red

Snap !

JBL13
12-24-2012, 11:14
Unless he is "The Rifleman" he has a point. :rofl:A good five to ten shot minimum is needed for home defense when living in bad areas. Many rounds can be fired in a defensive melee with gangbangers.

Yeah, the old Winchesters are gonna take a hit. Watch this: The Rifleman Mashup - YouTube