An article the left should read!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : An article the left should read!!

rs7183
12-23-2012, 09:55
Interesting article from a women who has lived it.

http://thebluereview.org/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother/

gommer
12-24-2012, 17:01
That is a really great article. It's also very long, I fear few would give it the attention it deserves.

I have an interesting perspective on these things. You see, when I was younger - I had an accident. In this accident I injured my back. Badly. It wasn't a mutilating injury, I didn't bleed from my back and bones did not come through the skin.

Nonetheless, I have lived with chronic pain ever since.

I learned a lot of things from this experience. One of those things is people very often ignore those things which they cannot see.

You cannot see the illness inside a persons head easily. Sometimes, yes, you can literally SEE the madness in their face or body language. But very often, you cannot.

Much like my back, which without an x-ray you would never know. I wouldn't let you see what it's doing to me.

On that very same note, not only knowing but LIVING that significant pain can be invisible -- when a person tells me they cannot do because they have back pain -- I'm the first to doubt it.

I can't say why, or that it's right. I know, I KNOW, if I had a job that required physical labor -- I would not be able to work. But I'm not in a wheelchair, you can't SEE that. Nobody believes it until they see something to prove it.

My own wife didn't *really* believe it was as bad as I warned her it was. Until one day I had to go to the emergency room because of a car accident, and they took her aside and asked her who my physician was. She told them I wasn't seeing one - then the nurse held up the x-ray and my wife broke down. Haha. I mean, it's not like I have gargoyles in my back - I think she got hit by the guilt bus, though.

Whatever, I digress.

Point is, most people -- I think -- can't really understand things they don't see. You can't always see the madness in these people. We're presented with homely photographs of the shooter - where the madness is not visible.

The gun, though, you can see that. So they fixate on what they can identify with.