Glock Rear Sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock Rear Sights

robhic
12-23-2012, 11:12
I use a GLock OEM rear sight and have put an Ashley XS Big Dot night sight on the front only.

Their literature shows holding the front sight atop the rear sight, but they show it using their rear sight which seems considerably lower and sloped.

Since putting the XS on, my POI has gone a bit low, and rather than remembering to put the front dot way above the rear sight, I considered putting a lower rear in place. But the 6.1, 6.5 and 6.9 are a bit confusing to me.

I got pictures of the different sights, but what do the measurements mean? Looks like the 6.5 is standard on the 9mm (I'm using a G26) so I figure a lower sight would be the 6.1, no? But looks like the 6.9 is supposed to be lower.

Can anyone decipher this sight-height mumbo jumbo in case I decide to replace the rear sight? Thanks in advance for any help! :wavey:

SargeMO
12-23-2012, 13:33
duh... I'll try to find a link to the chart.

SCSU74
12-23-2012, 13:47
why don't you just use it with their rear sight, as designed?

Jim S.
12-23-2012, 13:52

Yep... just like peanut butter and jelly.
A perfect pair.
I love XS Big Dots. Doesn't take long to get used to them.

willieH
12-23-2012, 15:48

Agree with SCSU74. As you're discovering, sights are designed in pairs for a good reason:shocked: I do like the big dots, in low light they come on target the quickest.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/22/GlockG17G23gen4a.jpg

Reswob
12-23-2012, 16:20
If POI is low, you want to RAISE the rear sight (so use the 6.9mm sight).

However, I would really suggest getting a OEM front night sight if that's what you want. The problem with these 'quick acquisition' sights is they're terribly inaccurate.

SCSU74
12-23-2012, 17:36
If POI is low, you want to RAISE the rear sight (so use the 6.9mm sight).

However, I would really suggest getting a OEM front night sight if that's what you want. The problem with these 'quick acquisition' sights is they're terribly inaccurate.

that's what i found as well. recently switched to Trijicon HD's to get the best of both worlds so to speak. The HD's still have the huge front dont (orange or yellow), but have the traditional notch/post sight picture. The rear sights are blacked out, which I love, but still glow at night.

robhic
12-23-2012, 17:52

Now that you mention it -- I don't rightly know! :shocked: I have TruGlo nite sites on the front of my G19 and G30 pistols so I just wanted a larger dot for the 26 and went with the XS. Old habit, so to speak. I'm used to front only so went with that.

I may eventually get the rear sight, also. As far as moving up or down, I admit, I was wrong!

Don't know what I was thinking but if I replace the sight (not an immediate concern) I will use the taller, 6.9 version. I'm going to start shooting with the big dot over the top (way over...) of the rear for a sight picture. If that gives me no consistent accuracy I will probably change the rear.

Thanks for the information.

willieH
12-23-2012, 18:12
... The problem with these 'quick acquisition' sights is they're terribly inaccurate.

I've had the opposite experience, these have been excellent. Sights are means to point the barrel. Unless misaligned or defective, all sights are accurate to designed parameters. Big Dots are a self defense sights that will accurately perform that function. If you bought them for a Bullseye competition, then you will be disappointed.

JBP55
12-23-2012, 18:31
I have the Ameriglo black 6.9mm rear sights on hand if you decide to go that route.

Reswob
12-23-2012, 18:32
I've had the opposite experience, these have been excellent. Sights are means to point the barrel. Unless misaligned or defective, all sights are accurate to designed parameters. Big Dots are a self defense sights that will accurately perform that function. If you bought them for a Bullseye competition, then you will be disappointed.

Shouldn't have to compromise. I know most people like to fiddle with their guns, changing out parts simply for the sake of changing them. But the Glock OEM sights are perfect as is - quick to use AND accurate.

willieH
12-23-2012, 20:10
Shouldn't have to compromise. I know most people like to fiddle with their guns, changing out parts simply for the sake of changing them. But the Glock OEM sights are perfect as is - quick to use AND accurate.

My eye sight requires slight correction, I need night sights that allow quick targeting without using my glasses. The big dots are the compromise that works well in a defensive mode as well as just plain target practice. The three dot night sights work but it takes me longer to align. Then again, I have lasers on my defensive firearms.

JBP55
12-23-2012, 20:16

:wow:

F-111 John
12-23-2012, 20:28
My eye sight requires slight correction, I need night sights that allow quick targeting without using my glasses.

A good compromise (although a bit pricey) is a laser sight such as Crimson Trace. My distance focus is fine, I just have 'old eyes' that make it hard to focus on the front sight without progressive lenses. With the laser you're focusing on your target.

69z28fan
01-13-2013, 22:12
I use the big dot in front on my 26, never liked the rear xs post, so went with a 10-8 all black rear .156 Just put the big ol dot down in the rounded notch and all will be good... at least it worked for me.