Storage of ammo in cold air return box. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Storage of ammo in cold air return box.

bocephus549
12-23-2012, 15:44
Could Ammo, Firearms be stored in the air return box of an HVAC unit? Mine is under the stairs and huge.

FLIPPER 348
12-23-2012, 15:45
no reason why not

Put it in serviceable ammo cans and you can store it anywhere.

bocephus549
12-23-2012, 15:56
What about cased or gun socked firearms?

NailShooter
12-23-2012, 16:09

I mist most of my cleaned firearms with a good quality silicone spray before storing them in their cases or socks. I have never had rust problems.

I would not run a furnace mounted humidifier even though it's on the warm air side. Regards,

Nail

FLIPPER 348
12-23-2012, 17:07

Why not put those in your gunsafe??

Fear Night
12-23-2012, 17:10
Yeah, if you want your house to smell like a 1950's barracks :supergrin:

concretefuzzynuts
12-23-2012, 17:16
Don't restrict the airflow of your HVAC system. Most correctly calculated systems have the airflow in and out balanced and should not be restricted.

Having said that, do what you want, it is a free country for now.

concretefuzzynuts
12-23-2012, 17:21
On a side note: Don't buy the filters that are too restrictive, the multi-fold several month filters.

Buy the less expensive 30 day filters and your system will function correctly. replace them with every mortgage or electric bill.

This will improve your system and save money in the long run.

meathead19
12-23-2012, 18:14
no reason why not

Put it in serviceable ammo cans and you can store it anywhere.

True.

meathead19
12-23-2012, 18:15
On a side note: Don't buy the filters that are too restrictive, the multi-fold several month filters.

Buy the less expensive 30 day filters and your system will function correctly. replace them with every mortgage or electric bill.

True.

geofri
12-23-2012, 18:21
Don't restrict the airflow of your HVAC system. Most correctly calculated systems have the airflow in and out balanced and should not be restricted.

Having said that, do what you want, it is a free country for now.

Glad you posted. I was gonna mention air flow concerns,, but am now knowledgeable enough with HVAC to speak with any authoritah.