my favorite assault rifle [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : my favorite assault rifle

Bill Powell
12-23-2012, 18:42
It's an India Pattern Brown Bess Musket. It was carried by the Mexican infantry when they ASSAULTED the Alamo.

nmstew
12-23-2012, 19:21
Would it pass the ban given the bayonet capability?

wolf19r
12-23-2012, 19:26
I think it would. I don't think it has a "bayonet lug"

eagle359
12-23-2012, 20:13
ATF will outlaw the black powder.

I'M Glockamolie
12-23-2012, 20:28
I went to the Alamo not that long ago. It's still surrounded by Mexicans.

NEOH212
12-23-2012, 20:32

Or call the black powder a machine gun.....:whistling:

:rofl:

goldenlight
12-24-2012, 01:25
Smooth bore, muzzle loading flint lock. Very slow rate of fire, and accuracy beyond 100 yards was minute of man.

I'd greatly prefer the 58 caliber, 1860 pattern, rifled percussion Springfield musket, if I was choosing a black powder muzzle loader.

Even better were the 45 caliber, breech loading, paper cartridge firing, percussion Sharps carbine. Not capable of the muzzle energy, and long range performance of the Springfield, but they had a faster rate of fire, and their double set triggers gave them very fine accuracy. Hence the term sharpshooter, coined during the Civil War.

I've fired both of these percussion rifles, of Civil War vintage. Muzzle loaders are a LOT of fun to shoot. Shooting 140 year old black powder rifles, even more so.:cool:

railfancwb
12-24-2012, 03:12
British used the Martini falling block rifle while the sun never set on their empire. Much of the rest of the world used the Remington rolling block rifle or its clones. The USA had so many single shots left over from the Civil War it stayed with them...converted to breech loading if necessary.

Batesmotel
12-24-2012, 03:20
Only gun I have on display is a Short Land Pattern model #2 Brown Bess.

I make my own paper cartridges and maintaining a rate of three rounds a minute gives you a great deal of respect for the men who fought with a musket. That said I would never have wanted to have a long rifle with a musket.

Bill Powell
12-24-2012, 08:29
The assault I posted does have bayonet capabilities. The bayonet is shown right below it. It twists onto the front sight.

I went to a gun show in Ft Worth yesterday. I was looking for a couple of magazines for my M-1 carbine, and a couple of boxes of ammo. I was told by a dealer that all the military style ammo had been sold by eleven AM Saturday. I finallyfound an ammo dealer that had a few boxes of ammo, and I found some magazines, and amazingly, the people I bought from didn't jack the prices up 300 per cent.

Cavalry Doc
12-24-2012, 09:21

To curb the rash of pipe bombs.

Don't think for a second that a powder ban is not on their wish list. It is.

Bill Powell
12-25-2012, 08:34
I think all the gun laws required can be written on the back of a post card. The trick is to emforce the ones you already have.

I have a son in law on England who had a brother up until a couple of years ago. His brother had a bottled of hootch the guy wanted, and in order to get it the guy stuck a knife through his chest, killing him.

The guy served two years of a five year sentence and was just released. Their punishments are as screwed up as ours. We hand out sentences like that on gun crimes.

GAFinch
12-25-2012, 08:46
Would it pass the ban given the bayonet capability?

I think it needs two features to make it a weapon of mass destruction.