Tree damaged in blizzard. Will homeowners insurance cover it? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tree damaged in blizzard. Will homeowners insurance cover it?

NickC50310
12-23-2012, 20:20
So i have a large tree in my backyard that was severely damaged in last weeks blizzard. No property damage has occurred yet but it will if the tree is not taken down in the correct manner. Since this is storm damage wouldnt my homeowners insurance cover the clean up? The estimate i have so far says 2k to bring it down.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

gjk5
12-23-2012, 20:23
clean up: yes, very likely so.

Resqu2
12-23-2012, 20:24
After a twister hit my sister-n-laws house and took out/damaged a bunch of trees her insurance payed to have them all cleaned up and removed. Can't see why you wouldn't be covered to?

meathead19
12-23-2012, 20:25
Negative.

Sucks, I know. Call your agent for verification.

JDennis
12-23-2012, 20:27
I am thinking not. Without property damage it will not be covered.

NickC50310
12-23-2012, 20:30
There was property damage. My tree was damaged.

sjfrellc
12-23-2012, 20:35
Hazard insurance won't pay if damage was not done to you home or valuables.

http://blog.insure.com/2011/03/14/help-a-tree-fell-on-my-house/

Help, a tree fell on my house!
by Barbara Marquand under HOME INSURANCE
Falling trees are among the common hazards you could face as a homeowner during snow and ice storms, but the ins and outs of insurance coverage depend on the situation.

Generally, standard home insurance doesn’t pay for damage to trees, shrubs and other plants from a storm, according to the Property Casualty Insurers Association of America (PCI). But it does cover damage a falling tree causes to structures that are covered under the insurance policy.

Here’s how coverage would work under the following scenarios:

A tree in your neighbor’s yard fell over and broke a window in your house. File a claim under your home insurance policy. It should cover the damage and the cost to remove the tree.
A tree in your own yard fell on your detached garage and damaged the roof. Standard home insurance covers detached structures. The damage and removal of the tree would be covered under your policy.
A tree on your property fell on your neighbor’s house and caused damage. Your neighbor should file a claim under his or her insurance policy.
A large branch fell on your roof but caused no damage. Generally, home insurance would not provide coverage for the tree or the cost to remove it.
Your car was damaged when a tree fell onto your driveway. Comprehensive car insurance would provide coverage. Unlike liability insurance, which pays for damage you do to others when you cause a car accident, comprehensive coverage is optional. It pays for damage to your own vehicle from causes other than car accidents, such as vandalism, natural disasters, collisions with animals and theft.
PCI says if your home sustained damage from a falling tree, report it to your insurance agent as soon as possible to settle the claim quickly and accurately. Always keeping safety in mind, do what you can to protect your property from further damage or theft by making emergency repairs to cover openings, and keep receipts for anything you buy. Submit those to your insurance company when you make the claim. In addition, take photos of the damaged property as part of a complete inventory, and don’t throw anything away before checking with your insurance company, PCI advises.

meathead19
12-23-2012, 20:40
You said NO property damage in your first post.

If you want, call obongo for some of his stash....he's got some left I'm sure.

NickC50310
12-23-2012, 20:48
Lmao! One of my democrat friends suggested the same thing in jest. Ill call the insurance company and see what they say.

NickC50310
12-23-2012, 20:49
No property damage besides my tree i guess.

meathead19
12-23-2012, 20:55
Lmao! One of my democrat friends suggested the same thing in jest. Ill call the insurance company and see what they say.

the joys of home ownership. :wavey:

JDennis
12-23-2012, 20:56
Just throw something under the tree like a dog house and get the branch to fall the rest of the way damaging the dog house.:supergrin: But I was never the one that suggested it haha

jay-bird
12-23-2012, 20:58
Take photos and video. Prove it was storm damage. Call your agent. Can't hurt to ask - or at least go over your options.

meathead19
12-23-2012, 21:03
Keep us posted. I'd like to know what they say.

Hines57
12-23-2012, 23:53
No, has to damage a covered structure. House, garage, fence, pool etc.

IndyGunFreak
12-23-2012, 23:59
No, has to damage a covered structure. House, garage, fence, pool etc.

That's pretty much my understanding.

NIB
12-24-2012, 01:11
You would think that an insurance company would pay less to remove a tree that could cause a larger sum of monetary damage in the future. That is not always the case.

Officer X
12-24-2012, 04:03
Hope you don't have State Farm

During Sandy, a co worker had a very large tree get partially uprooted in his yard and it was hanging over his house. It looked like it could come down at any time and the angle potentially put his neighbor's house in jeopardy too. Tree company gave him an estimate in the $3,000 range to remove the tree, as I said, very large, hanging dangerously over the house.

State Farm informed him they would not pay for it as there was no property damage. If the tree were to fall and cause damage to the house, they would send an agent out but until then he was responsible for it.

He is looking for another insurance company now.

Hines57
12-24-2012, 07:05
State Farm informed him they would not pay for it as there was no property damage. If the tree were to fall and cause damage to the house, they would send an agent out but until then he was responsible for it.

Why should an insurance company pay for it? It didn't damage anything. Are they responsible for fixing things that may damage the home?
State Farm should have told your neighbor now that he sees that he has a problem, he better get it fixed. If he doesn't they will probably deny any damage that he may have from the tree falling.

Rotn1
12-24-2012, 08:40
We just went through the same thing here north of Philly from "Sandy". The State Farm adjuster explained that if the tree had damaged the house or a structure you would be covered. Tree's damaged on their own with no colateral damage..... he said no.

There may be a grey area as to where taking down the tree WILL prevent future damage to the house.
You will argue it will be saving them money. They will argue it is your job to mitigate and avoid future damage.
Good luck.

Rotn1
12-24-2012, 08:42
OOOPPS just seen Officer X comments abover...... looks like they draw the line in the sand on this.

redbaron007
12-24-2012, 08:53
Hope you don't have State Farm

During Sandy, a co worker had a very large tree get partially uprooted in his yard and it was hanging over his house. It looked like it could come down at any time and the angle potentially put his neighbor's house in jeopardy too. Tree company gave him an estimate in the $3,000 range to remove the tree, as I said, very large, hanging dangerously over the house.

He is looking for another insurance company now.

Tell him to look away...most HO policies have the same common language for trees, so if he goes from X company to Y company, he will have the same results.

We just went through the same thing here north of Philly from "Sandy". The State Farm adjuster explained that if the tree had damaged the house or a structure you would be covered. Tree's damaged on their own with no colateral damage..... he said no.

There may be a grey area as to where taking down the tree WILL prevent future damage to the house.
You will argue it will be saving them money. They will argue it is your job to mitigate and avoid future damage.
Good luck.

The argument is just that, an argument. The HO policy is a contract....they agree to cover certain things for compensation, the homeowner agrees to to certain things too...mitigation is one of them (within reason). If the tree is not damaged by a covered loss....there is no coverage. :dunno:

:wavey:

red

Officer X
12-24-2012, 09:00
Why should an insurance company pay for it? It didn't damage anything. Are they responsible for fixing things that may damage the home?
State Farm should have told your neighbor now that he sees that he has a problem, he better get it fixed. If he doesn't they will probably deny any damage that he may have from the tree falling.

Re-read the OP's question again and you'll see that I am giving him an answer based on the experience of a person I know who had a similar situation.

Re-read my post again and you'll see that I mentioned nothing about any of my neighbors.

Reading comprehension.....

Officer X
12-24-2012, 09:03
Tell him to look away...most HO policies have the same common language for trees, so if he goes from X company to Y company, he will have the same results.

The argument is just that, an argument. The HO policy is a contract....they agree to cover certain things for compensation, the homeowner agrees to to certain things too...mitigation is one of them (within reason). If the tree is not damaged by a covered loss....there is no coverage. :dunno:

:wavey:

red

According to what he told me: the agent he spoke with told him that the company would not pay anything to have the tree taken care of at the present time. He was then told that if the tree fell and caused damage, then they would send an agent out to check it. When he asked to clarify that they would not pay anything to have the tree taken care of before it fell and caused damage but would if it did, he was reportedly told that's the way the company works.

NickC50310
12-24-2012, 09:37
I looked at the tree again this morning. Im pretty confident we can get it pulled down in a safe manner with the help of a few friends. I will let everyone know what happens!

itisbruno
12-24-2012, 10:52
An Ice storm got one of my trees, and it fell aginst our house.

Insurance covered it because of "potential" damage to the home. Had it fell in the yard, I would not be covered.

They paod ro remove the tree from the structure, not replacement cost.

That was my experience, FWIW.

TBO
12-24-2012, 10:53
Mine only covers mature trees struck by lightning (or the above case).

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

itisbruno
12-24-2012, 10:55
TBO routinely gives his trees hugs

:hugs:

:tongueout:

TBO
12-24-2012, 10:59
I hug a few every year with my chainsaw.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

Naptown34
12-24-2012, 11:17
During last year's hurricane Irene, I had eight trees come down in my yard. Three on my neighbor's deck and two into another neighbor's back yard patio set. I paid $3200 to have all the parts on my property and remaining trees removed. Some had to come down quick as they were hanging up ready to fall on my neighbor's house.

These were 100' tall tulip poplars (crap trees).

My neighbor's insurance covered their damaged property. If a tree is healthy and it falls down in a storm, it's not really anyone's fault I suppose.

It didn't do one bit of property damage to my house or shed. Damn it.

Good luck with it.