What a crapo charge.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What a crapo charge..

Detectorist
12-23-2012, 22:38
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/23/politics/idaho-senator-dui-arrest/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Stupid. These guys have tons of assistants who can drive them around.

Scott3670
12-23-2012, 22:52
I'll drink to that. Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

goldenlight
12-24-2012, 00:08
At least the Senator is being held responsible for his actions.

Usually, members of Congress literally get away with murder.:steamed::steamed::steamed:

doktarZues
12-24-2012, 00:10
Dang..tough break. Some balls on the arresting officer!

I got pulled over 6 years ago after having a few drinks, my level of intoxication / BAC was undetermined, but the cop saved my life that day and after humbling scolding, allowed me to call someone to pick me up. Haven't set foot behind the wheel after drinking since. I guess my point is, some well placed discretion can go a long way. (Perhaps more so when dealing with a senator.) Look at some of the silliness that zero tolerance policies have generated like the eagle scout in high school who was expelled for having a multi-tool in his car.

So who here would have let the good senator call for a ride home instead? Cops or not, anyone can play :)

For me, assuming he wasn't a vomiting violent menace that was an immediate danger to himself and anyone around him, I would have detained him while someone from his office came and got him.

TK-421
12-24-2012, 00:19
I'd be surprised if they actually charge him with something. I'm betting they just toss it out or something like that.

m2hmghb
12-24-2012, 02:38
I wouldn't Doktar, too many times a cop has let someone slide only to have that person do something to injure themselves or others and then sue the cop stating they should have been arrested for being intoxicated.

Resqu2
12-24-2012, 02:42
So who here would have let the good senator call for a ride home instead? Cops or not, anyone can play :)

After seeing 26 years worth of death and destruction that drunk drivers cause I'm all for a cop being required to verify there under the influence then shoot them on the spot and roll em in a ditch. Pretty soon that problem would go away.

MarinePride
12-24-2012, 03:28
I think all of congress should be drug tested. The results would be interesting, I'm sure of it.

Gallium
12-24-2012, 04:14
Surprise! Another politician who is a hypocrite.

GreenDrake
12-24-2012, 05:32
Our Mormons can't handle their booze.

Dan_ntx
12-24-2012, 08:13
Doktar...I don't understand what you are asking I guess.

In my opinion, being arrested for DUI and bonding out only to face a fine and a term of probation (what almost every, if not specifically every, first time offender gets) constitutes "being let off easy".

Drinking and driving is an epidemic. It kills thousands of people every year...many of whom were not drinking and/or driving. It needs to be taken seriously, and sadly it's just not.

It's a typical response from those arrested for DUI to focus only on how their actions impact themselves...but if they considered how their actions potentially, and in far too many cases do, impact other lives with tragic consequences perhaps they would not drink and drive.

I'm glad you saw the light. I'm glad you were able to stop a destructive behavior before it became destructive. But I don't believe anyone caught drinking and driving deserves any more leineniency than the already far too lenient courts provide. Go ask anyone who has had their life impacted by that crime (pretty easy to find) and I think you will hear a similar tone.

Dennis in MA
12-24-2012, 08:19
At least he didn't kill someone on the Senate Practice Squad.

This has nothing to do with stupid and everything to do with arrogance.

crash22
12-24-2012, 08:27
I have been on too many calls where the idiot was "just buzzed a little" while wearing s&w bracelets. Sadly, they don't think about (or care?) The family that is being loaded into the ambulance in critical condition. If you can "feel it" and get behind the wheel you should be (as resqu2 says) rolled into the ditch..

HalfHazzard
12-24-2012, 08:30
I know exactly what would happen to a military member who got a DUI. Tell me how a congressman should be any different?

Kingarthurhk
12-24-2012, 08:31
Neat, they think the 2A is bad, but they can sure liqour up and point a 5 ton vehicle at anyone on the road causeing great bodily harm or death without any legitimate cause. And they wonder why their approval rating is somewhere beneath the doggie doo on the bottom of a boot.:upeyes:

m2hmghb
12-24-2012, 12:01
What I would love to see is a law passed where anyone with a felony conviction is unable to hold office, from town council up. Especially Sheriff's.

elsolo
12-24-2012, 12:12

In my opinion, being arrested for DUI and bonding out only to face a fine and a term of probation (what almost every, if not specifically every, first time offender gets) constitutes "being let off easy".

You sure about the penalties in your state, or just guessing?

I don't know TX, but I spend a lot of time with drunks in CA and here is what the first timer gets:
1.) two separate misdemenor charges
2.) pay for the time of the arresting officer ($500-$1000)
3.) Loss of license until completion of "program"
4.) jail / community service / highway trash pick-up
5.) go to listen to MADD victim panel, hear some mom tell about her dead kid
6.) attend weekly alcohol education classes for 6-18 months (to get license back)
7.) mandatory AA meeting attendance
8.) Pay a crapload of fines, fees, and such, several thousand
9.) Maintain SR-22 insurance (for what 7 yrs?) so your license doesn't get suspended.

I am sure there is more, that's all I can recall of the top of my head. Most first time DUI offenders have no idea what is in store for them.

Gallium
12-24-2012, 12:19
You sure about the penalties in your state, or just guessing?

I don't know TX, but I spend a lot of time with drunks in CA and here is what the first timer gets:
1.) two separate misdemeanor charges
2.) pay for the time of the arresting officer ($500-$1000)
3.) Loss of license until completion of "program"
4.) jail / community service / highway trash pick-up
5.) go to listen to MADD victim panel, hear some mom tell about her dead kid
6.) attend weekly alcohol education classes for 6-18 months (to get license back)
7.) mandatory AA meeting attendance
8.) Pay a crapload of fines, fees, and such, several thousand
9.) Maintain SR-22 insurance (for what 7 yrs?) so your license doesn't get suspended.

I am sure there is more, that's all I can recall of the top of my head. Most first time DUI offenders have no idea what is in store for them.

What if it's an illegal alien with no $$$?

Kingarthurhk
12-24-2012, 12:43

That is incorrect. Illegal aliens often take jobs like construction where they are paid in cash. They don't pay tax on that cash, and then claim an earned income credit on their taxes and then get a hefty tax return. Also, they go to hospitals and claim to be indigent (no earned income), and don't pay their bills. But, those expenses get passed on to you with the high price of hospital bills and insurance premiums for insurance companies that get stuck with those high charges.

Then there is the rampant crime. That costs tax payers quite a bit of money to house them in state prisons and local jails, so they are usually given 1/4th to 1/2th the sentence a United States citizen, so they are back out on the streets learning that criminal system is a revolving door.

Drunk driving is common crime among illegal aliens, which causes lots of accidents and fatalities, which drives up your insurance costs in areas where they are highly prevelant.

Also, property taxes are higher where they are prevelant to pay for ESL education. ESL teachers are specialized, and more expensive. Not to mention all the text book material that has to be printed in another langauge other than English.

Also, added to the taxation is all the wellfare sought by them, as they are working for cash, and can show no income so WIC, Lonestar, or whatever you use in your state gets passed on to you in taxes.

Then there is effect they have on elections as politicians pander to them hoping their very much illegal vote. Yes, they do vote, illegally. That affects the government around you at your local, state, and federal level.

I could keep going, but, yes:

Illegal Aliens $$$

Gunny Lingus
12-24-2012, 12:46
Years ago, a drunk fool hit a school bus full of kids, and ignited the fuel tank. He lived, the kids died. He served a lengthy prison sentence, and got released.

That's why I wouldn't even drink a beer or glass of wine and drive. It's not about getting caught, but about living with the consequences of what you've done.

Kingarthurhk
12-24-2012, 12:51
Years ago, a drunk fool hit a school bus full of kids, and ignited the fuel tank. He lived, the kids died. He served a lengthy prison sentence, and got released.

That's why I wouldn't even drink a beer or glass of wine and drive. It's not about getting caught, but about living with the consequences of what you've done.

That is why I think DWI manslaughter ought be treated as First Degree Murder. You chose to go to a place that served alcohol, you drank to excess knowingly. You then made a concious decision to get inside a 5 ton weapon and employ its destructive power at anyone in your path of destruction.

You made active concious decisions knowing full well the consequences of those actions before you acted upon them.

I say that guy should have gotten the death penalty.

elsolo
12-24-2012, 13:12

Those hoops are only to get your license back, since illegal's don't have licenses (yet), all those penalties don't apply.

WarCry
12-24-2012, 13:31
Neat, they think the 2A is bad, but they can sure liqour up and point a 5 ton vehicle at anyone on the road causeing great bodily harm or death without any legitimate cause. And they wonder why their approval rating is somewhere beneath the doggie doo on the bottom of a boot.:upeyes:

I think you're missing a point here:

Mike Crapo, Republican, Idaho -

Voted YES on allowing firearms in checked baggage on Amtrak trains. (Apr 2009)

Voted YES on prohibiting foreign & UN aid that restricts US gun ownership. (Sep 2007)

Voted YES on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. (Jul 2005)

Voted NO on banning lawsuits against gun manufacturers for gun violence. (Mar 2004)

Voted NO on background checks at gun shows. (May 1999)

Voted YES on more penalties for gun & drug violations. (May 1999)

Voted YES on loosening license & background checks at gun shows. (May 1999)

National cross-state standard for concealed carry. (Jan 2009)
Rated A+ by the NRA, indicating a pro-gun rights voting record. (Aug 2010)

Ban gun registration & trigger lock law in Washington DC. (Mar 2007)

Apply concealed carry permit to all other states where legal. (Feb 2009)

Dangerousness, not mental incompetence, limits gun rights. (Mar 2009)

Mike Crapo is a pretty staunch 2A supporter, so your assertion on that isn't correct. Not all gun-supporters are good guys, just like not all anti-gun folks are the Antichrist.

Bruce M
12-24-2012, 14:08

Mike Crapo is a pretty staunch 2A supporter, so your assertion on that isn't correct. Not all gun-supporters are good guys, just like not all anti-gun folks are the Antichrist.
:agree:

Kingarthurhk
12-24-2012, 14:15

I think Crapo, in his personal actions, lives up to his name.

doktarZues
12-24-2012, 17:19

Drinking and driving is an epidemic. It kills thousands of people every year...many of whom were not drinking and/or driving. It needs to be taken seriously, and sadly it's just not.

It's a typical response from those arrested for DUI to focus only on how their actions impact themselves...but if they considered how their actions potentially, and in far too many cases do, impact other lives with tragic consequences perhaps they would not drink and drive.

I'm glad you saw the light. I'm glad you were able to stop a destructive behavior before it became destructive. But I don't believe anyone caught drinking and driving deserves any more leineniency than the already far too lenient courts provide. Go ask anyone who has had their life impacted by that crime (pretty easy to find) and I think you will hear a similar tone.

I fully understand the seriousness of DUI, and wouldn't dare attempt to marginalize it. My question about if you would have let him go wasn't about "letting the drunk guy go," it was more along the lines of who would be willing to put it all on the line and throw a US Senator into a meat wagon if they were the one that pulled him over. I felt it prudent to throw my story out there (and the eagle scout) as an example of how discretion is always an option.

I expect the responses would be overwhelmingly to do the right thing and haul him off. I just question if people would have the conviction to follow through if they were faced with the situation, seeing that he was a senator.

Riverkilt
12-24-2012, 17:33
Well, at least he didn't have a girl with him and drive off a bridge like Teddy Kennedy... I've been doing DUI screenings for courts for at least 15 years. They're about half and half alcoholics or social drinkers who overindulged a bit. At that blood alcohol level reaction time is slowed greatly. I always ask the drunk driver if they thanked the cop for pulling them over? No clue what coulda woulda happened two blocks down the road. Cop may have saved their lives, or the lives of a van full of kids, by pulling them over. AND...best thing about a DUI is it gives the driver a real check on the progression of their drinking. Is tolerance built to where they have become alcoholic? Doctors say any more than four beers at one sitting for a man is binge drinking. Most folks don't realize how little booze it takes for alcoholism to take over. And the LDS folks have some of the fanciest alcohol treatment centers in the World up in the mountains above Salt Lake City. Living in LDS country I've also seen a lot of Mormons drink themselves to death. If religion worked for arresting alcoholism AA never would have needed to be created.

Kingarthurhk
12-24-2012, 17:40
I fully understand the seriousness of DUI, and wouldn't dare attempt to marginalize it. My question about if you would have let him go wasn't about "letting the drunk guy go," it was more along the lines of who would be willing to put it all on the line and throw a US Senator into a meat wagon if they were the one that pulled him over. I felt it prudent to throw my story out there (and the eagle scout) as an example of how discretion is always an option.

I expect the responses would be overwhelmingly to do the right thing and haul him off. I just question if people would have the conviction to follow through if they were faced with the situation, seeing that he was a senator.

If I enforced DWI laws, which I don't, I would have been happy to take the heat on the arrest. If he sought to abuse his position and seek revenge, the liberal media would eat up an R pulling that kind of stunt, and by the time dust settled, he wouldn't get endorsed by his own party and lose the next election cycle.

They have drumed people out the party for less. No one is above the law when it comes to felony DWI.

HollowHead
12-24-2012, 18:20
I was driven home by a cop after I wrecked my car in '81. I was twenty-one and had absolutely no business driving. He took pity that I wrecked my car and being spared a DUI had a profound effect on me to this day as I will never drive drunk. Being arrested then would have really served no useful purpose other than create lingering anger. HH

Kingarthurhk
12-24-2012, 18:36
I was driven home by a cop after I wrecked my car in '81. I was twenty-one and had absolutely no business driving. He took pity that I wrecked my car and being spared a DUI had a profound effect on me to this day as I will drive drunk. Being arrested then would have really served no useful purpose other than create lingering anger. HH

I am confused. Maybe you typed that wrong. But, you still drive drunk?

HollowHead
12-24-2012, 18:39
I am confused. Maybe you typed that wrong. But, you still drive drunk?

Edited. Quite drunk right now and will be walking tonight. HH

Kingarthurhk
12-24-2012, 18:53
Edited. Quite drunk right now and will be walking tonight. HH

Taxi would be easier.

Detectorist
12-24-2012, 19:27
I'm surprised no one has suggested that the good Senator change his last name. :supergrin:

Trapped_in_Kali
12-24-2012, 19:28
Well all I know is that if you are a Senator in Tennessee and murder a motorcyclist with your mini-van while drunk they will name the next highway over after you. http://piratenews.org/koella.html

Kingarthurhk
12-24-2012, 19:53
I'm surprised no one has suggested that the good Senator change his last name. :supergrin:

Well, he and Dick Army and Dick Luger hang out.:rofl:

Kingarthurhk
12-24-2012, 19:54
Well all I know is that if you are a Senator in Tennessee and murder a motorcyclist with your mini-van while drunk they will name the next highway over after you. http://piratenews.org/koella.html

For the sake of irony?:dunno: