300 BLK Maximum Expansion! 200gr ME Subsonic from Lehigh Defense (VIDEO) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 300 BLK Maximum Expansion! 200gr ME Subsonic from Lehigh Defense (VIDEO)

Raleigh Glocker
12-24-2012, 06:39
This is the first of three videos featuring Lehigh Defense's expanding subsonics for the 300WTF/BLK. I am really impressed with this company and the ammunition they produce.

I shot a sub-half inch group at 50 yards and got 19 inches of penetration with 0.715 inches of expansion!! Plus, Lehigh Defense is a great group of ammunition artists, spending a lot of time perfecting their extremely precise bullets and loaded ammunition. I want to test this on game, but I fear that time has passed for that this year. Based upon the testing I've done, though, I feel it is worth every penny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuu5OMNy2gs

Gunnut 45/454
12-24-2012, 10:40
Nice but kind of pointless if it doesn't feed from the mags! I would change the design some . Like make it an A frame design - keep the nose the same and use lead in the base so you can shorten the bullet to get a better OAL to feed from all mags! That thing is way to long. :whistling:

Raleigh Glocker
12-24-2012, 11:10
Lehigh Defense has two other 300BLK loads I'm still testing. They are lighter, but they both feed much better from AR15 mags.

Still, expanding subsonics are most useful for hunting, and as I say in the vid, it wouldn't bother me to have only 3 in a mag for the hunting I do.

Keep in mind, though, that a full 30rd mag will be about $100 of ammo when you include shipping.

Gunnut 45/454
12-24-2012, 15:14
Raleigh Glocker
Well if they'd get off the only use copper and no lead bullet craze they could cut there costs in half! At $100 bucks for 30 rounds they can keep them! Subs are not my main round anyway I shoot supers for hunting, SD/HD and get all the exspansion I need! I use 125 gr BT's or HP 130gr for SD/HD and 150 gr SP BT for hunting. :supergrin:

Raleigh Glocker
12-24-2012, 15:39
Raleigh Glocker
Well if they'd get off the only use copper and no lead bullet craze they could cut there costs in half! At $100 bucks for 30 rounds they can keep them! Subs are not my main round anyway I shoot supers for hunting, SD/HD and get all the exspansion I need! I use 125 gr BT's or HP 130gr for SD/HD and 150 gr SP BT for hunting. :supergrin:
Lehigh Defense is a subsidiary of a machining company, so they machine their bullets. That's why they only offer copper or brass bullets and no copper jacketed lead. As you probably know, though the unit cost of machining bullets is high, there are negligible start-up costs for a company that already has the CNC and programming capabilities.

I am with you in hoping a major manufacturer steps up to mass produce expanding subsonics for the 300 BLK. With the insane demand for 5.56/.223 right now and for the forseeable future, I don't see any company seeing that investment as having an attractive return compared to pumping money into increased production of XM193 and the like.

Meanwhile, Lehigh Defense will fill the gap with an expensive but high quality solution for those who want to hunt with a suppressed 300 BLK.

alexanderg23
12-25-2012, 00:24
I've heard of some problems with the 300BLK w/ subs and a can. Getting a bunch of junk shot back to the chamber and getting dirtying up mags or something and causing feeding issues. Have you experienced anything like that? Or do you have a piston gun?

Raleigh Glocker
12-26-2012, 05:46
I've heard of some problems with the 300BLK w/ subs and a can. Getting a bunch of junk shot back to the chamber and getting dirtying up mags or something and causing feeding issues. Have you experienced anything like that? Or do you have a piston gun?

This is an interesting post. I haven't seen anything like this reported, and I am certainly not experiencing reliability problems of any sort related to suppression myself. Note that I never shoot my 300 BLKs without my 762-SDN-6 attached.

Yes, there is blowback as there is for all suppressed weapons (even piston), but it is significantly less than a suppressed 5.56 of the same length.

Yes, the mags get a little dirtier when shooting any suppressed weapon, but I have yet to clean a single mag and have had no failures due to any kind of build up.

If anything, the larger bore and lower muzzle pressure of the 300 BLK makes it much cleaner than any sub-calibers. It is an extremely nice package.

I do use the PRI GasBuster to keep the gas out of my face, but that doesn't affect weapon reliability one way or the other.