To SBR or Not SBR [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : To SBR or Not SBR

VonHoffmann
12-24-2012, 08:59
Hi Guys...new to the thread but long time firearms owner and like all here a very proud supporter of the 2nd ammendment!

I have a stag lower and a SBR upper (not attached) that i was going to do the paperwork on to get my stamp. I live in Texas and getting the signatures for the SBR are no problem where i live.

My question is this: If i move i understand there are states that do not allow SBRs. Are there states that allow AR-15s but not SBRs? My concern is am better off just getting a 16" upper as i might have more flexibility moving. My understanding is once it is an SBR it is always an SBR and even though I might have a 16" upper on it a state might tell me i can't bring it with me regardless of the upper on it as it is a registered SBR.

Thoughts?

2nd question: I know we will need to see what legislation is proposed and have it passed before we know the lay of the land going forward, but during the last ban did you have to present all ARs to register them at the same time? I have another AR with a 16" upper. Was it possible last time to bring the guns in 1 at a time to register? There by using the same upper to register both lowers.

Thanks all!

Glockdude1
12-24-2012, 09:02
SBR your rifle.

You are in Texas. Why would you want to leave???

:cool:

faawrenchbndr
12-24-2012, 09:05
I have never, nod to I plan to live in a state where I must register firearms.

I recently built a 10.5" barreled 9mm pistol. Will get the paperwork
rolling shortly for a SBR

larson1122
12-24-2012, 09:06
Yes there are some states that allow ARs but not SBRs. I would imagine putting a 16" upper on the SBR lower would be allowed in such states but I am not up to speed on SBR regulations. And I don't believe there was ever mandatory resistration of ARs during the AWB.

M&P15T
12-24-2012, 09:15
Correct. There was no registration of ARs (or any other sort of semi-auto) due to the 94 AWB.

VonHoffmann
12-24-2012, 09:28
Correct. There was no registration of ARs (or any other sort of semi-auto) due to the 94 AWB.

I am apparently not up to speed on how it worked last time....not surprised, i am usually not up to speed on many things!

So how did it work last time? You just had to own a lower that was pre ban manufactured? Was it illegal to own the lower with out an upper?

It sounds like i could pick up an upper whenever i wanted then.

Airborne Infantryman
12-24-2012, 09:40
SBR is the way to go, however-

Get an EXPERIENCED NFA Lawyer to form a Trust for you. There are lots of them in Texas.

Here's why-

1. Yes, you can get the signatures for an individual Form 1, however, if you leave your house, and the SBR is not locked up, and someone in your house has immediate access to that SBR, you are technically committing a felony. This comes directly from my conversation with the BATFE last month, as I'm having to lock my SBR up in a Pelican Case and take the key with me when I head to Korea in Jan. My two suppressors will be fine, as my wife is the co-founder of my trust.

2. With a trust, any of your trustees can use/transport/possess the SBR, and anything else on the trust without you being present.

3. If something happens to you, its less BS for your family to deal with as far as what to do with your NFA items. They'll be eligible for a tax-free transfer to their name, however, its just way less BS to deal with if you have a trust.

My trust cost me $350, and for what I got with that $350, I'd have done it all over again. I have unlimited support from my NFA lawyer regarding any matter that is NFA related. The security aspect of it is comforting to say the least.

Glockdude1
12-24-2012, 15:34
http://www.texasnfatrust.com

:thumbsup: