Reality bites. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reality bites.

SouthernBoyVA
12-24-2012, 23:00
From time to time, the issue of carrying with an empty chamber vs one in the pipe comes up and gets quite a bit of responses, some of which can be heated. So I thought that this posting might be of interest to those who either carry like this or are thinking about doing so. As always comments are welcome.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/45671-My-Gunfight-quot-Thinking-Outside-Your-Box-quot

LASTRESORT20
12-24-2012, 23:25
Good read! well done. Thanks!

RadarP3C
12-25-2012, 09:10
Here's a vid of two scenarios of being attacked while chambered and one without chambered close quarters.

Should You Carry A Round In The Chamber? - YouTube

SouthernBoyVA
12-25-2012, 09:54
Keep in mind that both actors in this video know what's coming. In a real extreme encounter, only the BG(s) will know, unless they tip their hand too soon. The argument is well made that an attack can come very quickly, from out of nowhere, and when you are not expecting or ready for it at all. This is the scenario you should consider and work backwards from there. You always consider the worse case scenario first because if you don't, you may find yourself behind the curve trying to play catchup in a very bad situation.

allegro
12-25-2012, 10:32
The only smart plays (preparation) are lots of training and C1.

If one is NOT comfortable in C1, then I strongly question if they are comfortable at ALL with carry period ! We are all taking on tremendous responsibility, so our obligation is preparation and safety.

Be familiar with your tools, be both trained and current with your procedures and stay aware of your surroundings.

May everyone have a Happy New Year, hopefully the very best of your life.

Resqu2
12-25-2012, 12:44
We all make jokes about bringing a knive to a gun fight but a knive in the hands of someone that can use it is a very lethal threat to a ccw'er.

Deaf Smith
12-25-2012, 17:35
All I can say is if C3 was so dang good why isn't the police using it? I mean federal, state, and local police departments? You would think with a partner, two way, computer in the car to check the cars plates, etc.. that C3 would be the way they go, but do they?

And for the rest of us folk there is no guarantee one will have two hands available to chamber, nor successfully rack the slide under pressure without creating a malfunction, so for most people I'd think chamber loaded would be the way to go, especially if they don and doff the holster with the gun every day (good holsters cover the trigger guard, hint hint...)

But if one truly worried about an AD with chamber loaded simi-autos, just pack a revolver as their chambers are definitely loaded for instantaneous use.

Deaf

janice6
12-25-2012, 18:22
I figure I'll get one chance for a very short time, and I need every advantage in time I can get.

Mindset - Easy draw - Pull trigger - will take up all the available time. Never give up, ever.

Hope for the best. At least go for a draw, never be just a victim.

Good luck.

deputy1199
12-25-2012, 21:45
The video was instructive. However, the woman's critical mistake was standing in place while attempting to draw. The attacker was too close to her, so she should have put distance between herself and him by quickly moving backwards and to the attacker's side. This would allow her more time to bring her weapon to bear on the attacker and hopefully prevent the knife attack before she could fire. Distance and movement is the correct response to any attack.

JuneyBooney
12-25-2012, 21:59
From time to time, the issue of carrying with an empty chamber vs one in the pipe comes up and gets quite a bit of responses, some of which can be heated. So I thought that this posting might be of interest to those who either carry like this or are thinking about doing so. As always comments are welcome.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/45671-My-Gunfight-quot-Thinking-Outside-Your-Box-quot

Sometime I will give you all the details of me walking my K9 in Springfield, Va when approached by seven gangbangers. :rofl:I had a chambered round and they ran but if they had not run...:faint:

Every situation is different. To carry a gun and be mentally prepared is very important.