Optics-decisions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Optics-decisions

jbachg26
12-25-2012, 20:12
At first thought I couldn't make up my mind between AIMPOINT PRO or EOTECH 512 for my AR...now I'm thinking for what I'm gonna do with it am I going the right route...it will be used for plinking, shooting prairie dogs, pigs, but at the same time I'd like to take some training and really learn how to use it for home defense should the need ever arise.....would a magnifier behind a red dot give me more versatility...just looking to learn a little more and take some opinions...thanks

TheExplorer
12-25-2012, 20:17
For 50 yards or less the red dot is more popular. Primary Arms sells the micro dot that people like. It comes bundled with your choice of mount. It's around $85. The Vortex Strikefire Hi-Mount is good for a scope buyer on a budget.

jbachg26
12-25-2012, 20:32
I'm not saying money is no object but I'm willing to invest in a good quality product that will stand up to abuse on an AR...I'm on a budget I've had the AR for a couple months and have now saved enough for a good quality scope for it...

VinnieG
12-25-2012, 20:42
I have a 6x18 Leupold on top of mine with a j point micro sight mounted on a Matt Burkett 45 degree of set mount for close stuff. I really like that setup.

mjkeat
12-25-2012, 23:26
Primary's Micro is GTG but not on the level of Aimpoint or EoTech. Why someone would recommend the PA to someone who is able to spend Aimpoint $ is beyond me.

If you want to get more distance a magnifier would work. An RDS is good for quite a good distance, even w/ the 4 MOA dot. I believe the Pro and 512 have a 2 and 1 MOA dot. A dot will take you out to a couple hundred easy.

Happy Hunting
12-25-2012, 23:58
Another thing about those nicer optics- they hold their value really well. Even if you sink 700 and beat the hell out of it you will get 450 back for it. The same cannot be said for Vortex Strikefire and comparable products in my experience.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Jack Black
12-26-2012, 00:22
I've never shot prairie dogs before, but wouldn't even a 2 MOA red dot be way too large?

USMCSergeant
12-26-2012, 00:55
I went with an Eotech xps when I was in your shoes and I havent regretted that decision. Being able to keep both eyes open, the ability to hold a zero long term, and the quality in the product is impressive. That said aimpoints are great also, can't go wrong with either.

MrMurphy
12-26-2012, 06:01
Aimpoint Pro. If you want to get into high precision/distance work (tiny targets or 200m plus) save up for an inexpensive starter scope like a Nikon Coyote and see if you even like it.

TheExplorer
12-26-2012, 06:03
Primary's Micro is GTG but not on the level of Aimpoint or EoTech. Why someone would recommend the PA to someone who is able to spend Aimpoint $ is beyond me.

If you want to get more distance a magnifier would work. An RDS is good for quite a good distance, even w/ the 4 MOA dot. I believe the Pro and 512 have a 2 and 1 MOA dot. A dot will take you out to a couple hundred easy.

Because he said "plinker". You don't need aimpoint quality for that.:upeyes:

PEC-Memphis
12-26-2012, 11:04
I have a 6x18 Leupold on top of mine with a j point micro sight mounted on a Matt Burkett 45 degree of set mount for close stuff. I really like that setup.

I suppose that you mean 6-18X40 ?

From the OPs description of use, this seems applicable.

There are a wide variety of scopes that can be mounted on top that would cost much less that a magnifier with an aimpoint/eotech, yield better results and doesn't depend on batteries,

For near targets a small reflex sight on a 45* mount will work well. A quality durable small reflex sight will still be expensive.

Here's Jerry's configuration: http://www.bang-inc.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=4&zenid=c82t51ifroep8bb5bohodeihr6

RJHUB
12-26-2012, 14:47
I have a 512 and a PRO. I also have a 3x9.
I have QD mounts on all three and use for different things.
If I just could have one, I believe I would go with a
Leupold VX-R 1.25x4 with firedot reticle. Right around same price.
Kind of covers all bases. Red dot and scope with some
magnification for those longer pig and pdogs.

jbachg26
12-26-2012, 17:32
Been researching LEUPOLD in my free time at work I believe I'm now leaning toward Leupold VX-R Hog Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 1.25-4x 20mm Fire Dot Pig Plex Reticle Matte...

WoodenPlank
12-26-2012, 17:41
Been researching LEUPOLD in my free time at work I believe I'm now leaning toward Leupold VX-R Hog Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 1.25-4x 20mm Fire Dot Pig Plex Reticle Matte...

Also look at the new Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 in 1.5-4. You can get it with a duplex reticle for $300, or a Firedot SPR-G illuminated reticle for $400. I'm planning on adding the SPR-G version to my 16" middy in the near future. With that reticle you get a 20mil ring and 5 mil hashes, mil adjustments, illuminated .3 mil center dot, and an elevation turret calibrated for 55gr .223.

PEC-Memphis
12-26-2012, 20:05
A friend has a Mark 6 1-6x20, really nice (really) but a little pricey.

Gives you a bit more at both ends - 1x shooting is natural with both eyes open - and 6x on 200-300M targets is nicer than 4x.

The down side of using the same optic for 1x and 4x/6x, is the that (if sighted for far) the rifle will shoot POI lower than POA (which is what I'm doing with a 1-4x Burris). It is not a big deal, but you do have to remember and adjust "on the fly".

Using LR optic on top, and the SR optic @ 45* alleviates that problem.