Impulse Buy: Colt Pre-Ban 20" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Impulse Buy: Colt Pre-Ban 20"

J-Pat
12-26-2012, 14:32
I vowed I wouldn't give into all the panic buying with everything that's been going on. Went to my LGS earlier this week, saw it as I opened the door and couldn't resist. Within about 45 seconds I had an associate and had money out! 1 rifle, 15 mags, and 300 rounds later....:upeyes:

Anyway- the pictures! (Serial edited, I wish it were number 250!)

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/proaxe/20121225_124614_zpsfc1a4e3c.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/proaxe/20121225_124622_zps6b8447de.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/proaxe/20121226_160208_zpsfe747f22.jpghttp://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c265/proaxe/20121226_160217_zpsd131874a.jpg

RWBlue
12-26-2012, 15:43
Is this your first AR-15?

Look at the front pin.
Then look at the one on http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/

I have an HBAR of a different manufacturer. I find it heavy.

mgs
12-26-2012, 16:30
Large front pin Colt......I have one. You did good. Adapter pins available if you want a mil-spec upper or another different caliber upper.

TedG
12-26-2012, 16:32
Nice find! Enjoy it.

GAFinch
12-26-2012, 16:42
:thumbsup:

J-Pat
12-26-2012, 16:46
Is this your first AR-15?

Look at the front pin.
Then look at the one on http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/

I have an HBAR of a different manufacturer. I find it heavy.

I really dig the large front pin Colts. Had to have it! The HBAR will suit my needs nicely- looking to make a long range rifle.

Large front pin Colt......I have one. You did good. Adapter pins available if you want a mil-spec upper or another different caliber upper.

Thanks. The gentleman working the counter said he literally just stuck it on the wall and it was probably the easiest/fastest sale he had ever made. It was pure luck- it was part of an estate sale and I only paid 1100 for it. I suppose that's not bad at all with the recent considerations. OTD for everything was 1400.

I'll have to get a different pin (I think they're made by Bushmaster now) so I can get a flattop 300BLK upper someday.

Funny story, later that day my dad (who knows nothing about black rifles and wanted his first) drug me to a local dealership where he had put back a NIB LE6920. Needless to say, we now have two new toys to play with on the weekends.

Lee-online
12-26-2012, 16:49
Nice, now you can join in a CMP shoot. Our club has it the last Sunday of the month. You should be able to find one near you. I purchased a 20" AR just for this.

mgs
12-26-2012, 16:52
I really dig the large front pin Colts. Had to have it! The HBAR will suit my needs nicely- looking to make a long range rifle.

Thanks. The gentleman working the counter said he literally just stuck it on the wall and it was probably the easiest/fastest sale he had ever made. It was pure luck- it was part of an estate sale and I only paid 1100 for it. I suppose that's not bad at all with the recent considerations. OTD for everything was 1400.

I'll have to get a different pin (I think they're made by Bushmaster now) so I can get a flattop 300BLK upper someday.

Funny story, later that day my dad (who knows nothing about black rifles and wanted his first) drug me to a local dealership where he had put back a NIB LE6920. Needless to say, we now have two new toys to play with on the weekends.

That's cool! I paid $825 in 1990 for my Colt AR-15 HBAR with Colt .22RF conversion kit included. 20 rd Colt mags were $7 each in paper wrapper. I bought 10.

RWBlue
12-26-2012, 17:08

Cool, you knew what you were doing and you did well for the current environment.

BTW, ARs are like tribbles, they multiply. You start off with one and then you have to buy a second one to keep it compnay. Then you want to build one from parts. and then.....

J-Pat
12-26-2012, 18:17
Nice, now you can join in a CMP shoot. Our club has it the last Sunday of the month. You should be able to find one near you. I purchased a 20" AR just for this.

CMP? You're going to have to school me on those, what are they? Similar to IDPA 3-Gun?

bmoore
12-26-2012, 18:41
Nice Colt. A rifle length Colt AR is art.

J-Pat
12-26-2012, 18:46
Nice Colt. A rifle length Colt AR is art.

I agree! I'm trying to source out a complete set of A1 furniture! Any good sources?

faawrenchbndr
12-26-2012, 18:49
I agree! I'm trying to source out a complete set of A1 furniture! Any good sources?

Try asking on AR15.com. Ask the question in the retro forum,
it's in the AR15 section

bmoore
12-26-2012, 20:08
Try asking on AR15.com. Ask the question in the retro forum,
it's in the AR15 section

This. Fulton armory makes new A1 stocks. Do you want old retro looking stuff or new? Here is a link to A1 kits that have been refinished.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=316530383

fnfalman
12-26-2012, 22:20
J-Pat,

Nice catch!!! I just bought one as well but mine has detachable carrying handle. Otherwise, same features as yours, bayonet lug, flash suppressor, screwed pin receiver, the whole shebang.

Lee-online
12-26-2012, 22:44
CMP? You're going to have to school me on those, what are they? Similar to IDPA 3-Gun?
They have different events but we shoot CMP/NRA Service Rifle Competition.

Its target shooting with a military style rifle, its a basic stock rifle with open sights. AR is the most common but a lot of M1's are also used.
We only have a 100 yard range so we use smaller targets to simulate out to 600 yards.
Basically you get 10 points for the bull (Xring) and points decrease the farther away.
shooting is done from standing, sitting and prone.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-26-2012, 23:37

Its target shooting with a military style rifle, its a basic stock rifle with open sights. AR is the most common but a lot of M1's are also used.
We only have a 100 yard range so we use smaller targets to simulate out to 600 yards.
Basically you get 10 points for the bull (Xring) and points decrease the farther away.

And some are trying to say the AR is not a sporting rifle!

OP, nice purchase at a good price.

J-Pat
12-27-2012, 14:39
Sorry I didn't reply, I had surgery today and haven't been feeling well. I haven't been ignoring you folks!

That's cool! I paid $825 in 1990 for my Colt AR-15 HBAR with Colt .22RF conversion kit included. 20 rd Colt mags were $7 each in paper wrapper. I bought 10.

:wow: and I thought that I got a good deal. I love this thing. The best way I can say it is it just "feels" better than my other AR's do. I really like the little touches that you don't even realize are missing until you pick up a quality full length rifle.

BTW, ARs are like tribbles, they multiply. You start off with one and then you have to buy a second one to keep it compnay. Then you want to build one from parts. and then.....

I know. My senior year of High school- I bought a '31 Hex Izzy Mosin- and within 3 months went back and bought a Bushmaster O.R.C.. I quickly fell in love with the AR platform because it allows me to deal with inherent flaws with being a lefty shooter and using milsurp bolt actions.

If things don't "go south", my next will be to build a Mid Length Carbine from primo parts. ARs are EXTREMELY addicting, and very fun to shoot. I'm also torn to buy a nice Trijicon ACOG for on it, but it's very difficult on a college student budget. I've been saving for almost 3 years to purchase this rifle.

This. Fulton armory makes new A1 stocks. Do you want old retro looking stuff or new? Here is a link to A1 kits that have been refinished.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=316530383

Thanks for the link, but I really want the "Trapdoor" stock. I'll keep my eyes peeled, as those are some REALLY nice looking kits. I'll have to debate if I can live without the trapdoor. (The A2 I have has one right now0

J-Pat,

Nice catch!!! I just bought one as well but mine has detachable carrying handle. Otherwise, same features as yours, bayonet lug, flash suppressor, screwed pin receiver, the whole shebang.

Diggin it! Post pictures man! I love to see old colts!:needspics:

Sounds right up my alley. I'll have to give it a shot- Hell. PM me details and maybe I'll make a bit of a pilgrimmage to come shoot out near Susquehanna and we can meet up.

And some are trying to say the AR is not a sporting rifle!

OP, nice purchase at a good price.

Thanks for the kind words ithaca.
People are so down on "Black Rifles"- but they don't realize they're so versatile and great fun. I can stick in a .22 kit and teach my girlfriend and mom to shoot, and practice trigger control, etc. - or hop up to .223 and practice drills and accuracy.