IWB and Belt Tightness [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : IWB and Belt Tightness

robhic
12-26-2012, 17:47
I've noticed that when I wear pants that are a size larger and put my IWB holster in, I have to find a sweet spot between tightening the belt enough to hold my pants up (:wow:) and not too much so that my weapon isn't constricted in its holster.

I use a web belt with that infinitely adjustable metal buckle. If I leave it too loose, my gun is easy to draw but I risk de-pantsing myself! :supergrin: Too tight (pants stay up) and the gun is harder to remove.

OK, it's a new leather rig from High Noon holsters but will this improve or am I missing something? Thanks for info from the more experienced here.

Naptown34
12-26-2012, 17:54
Suspenders?

ithaca_deerslayer
12-26-2012, 17:58
Yeah, all that, and a lighter gun.

Glock 26 is the heaviest I go. 20 oz plus ammo.

Then Kahr PM9. 15 oz plus ammo.

Then S&W 642. 15 oz plus ammo.

Then Ruger LCP. 9 oz plus ammo.

b_oglethorpe
12-26-2012, 18:00
Don't over think it. Go tight and draw your gun with authority.

CanMan
12-26-2012, 18:05
Suspenders?

Suspenders!

http://www.perrysuspenders.com/persus.html

SJ 40
12-26-2012, 18:07
don't over think it. Go tight and draw your gun with authority.+1 sj 40

unit1069
12-26-2012, 23:17
Yes, it would be good to know the model handgun you're carrying. It would help in soliciting suggestions.

unit1069
12-26-2012, 23:17

+2 here!

Caver 60
12-26-2012, 23:36
Perhaps try a good leather gun belt? My problem isn't drawing the pistol. My holster keeps it easy to draw, no matter what. It's the fact I'm a little overweight (5' 8" and 165 pounds) and I have no hips.

So if I don't chinch it down tight enough I have to keep pulling my pants up. If it's too tight the pressure gets to my waist. I refuse to wear suspenders, although I'm sure that would solve the problem.

Happypuppy
12-27-2012, 00:29
Try moving the holster to 5 o'clock or so behind the point of your hip bone and see if it helps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NEOH212
12-27-2012, 00:42

This.

I deal with wearing my belt a little on the tight side when I carry IWB. I'll sacrifice a little comfort in order to securely retain my gun and make for a better draw.

Besides, after a while, you don't even notice your wearing the belt that tight! (Until you take if off!)

janice6
12-27-2012, 01:29
I prefer the Beltman gun belt a little snug. It pulls the grip tight against my ribs and keeps it from tipping out and printing.

You say you hae a gunbelt. I just question how good the quality of the belt.

Real gunbelts are made with stiffness in mind. They do not "soften" (roll), even after 10 years. Since they stay stiff (except for the holes end), they keep the gun butt tight to your body.

Lowjiber
12-27-2012, 06:14
Perhaps try a good leather gun belt? My problem isn't drawing the pistol. My holster keeps it easy to draw, no matter what. It's the fact I'm a little overweight (5' 8" and 165 pounds) and I have no hips.

+1 & +1 on above quote.

If you don't have hips, you'll always have a carry problem...IWB or OC. At 6' 1" and 200 lbs, I don't have the problem, but my "hip-less" friends seem to always be pulling their pants back up.

I suggest a good gun belt and a set of suspenders.

IndyGunFreak
12-27-2012, 07:48
Perhaps try a good leather gun belt? .

This...

What kind of belt are you using?

Troy H
12-27-2012, 07:54
Kydex holster, then tighten all you like!

ranger1968
12-27-2012, 08:00

So if I don't chinch it down tight enough I have to keep pulling my pants up. If it's too tight the pressure gets to my waist. I refuse to wear suspenders, although I'm sure that would solve the problem.

This;

Your problem is that your belt isn't very good;

A good, purpose made gun belt makes all the difference in the world....it will provide the support that the gun and holster needs without you having to cinch it so tight that you are uncomfortable....I cannot tell you how many times I have had this conversation with people, and when they finally get a real gun belt they come back and tell me "I get it now".....

There are some good belt makers out there, but if you are going to do it, I say do it right, and get the best the firs time out; I'm running a Beltman belt, and while he is not cheap, his stuff is the best there is....

http://www.thebeltman.net/

IndyGunFreak
12-27-2012, 08:04
Also, you simply say a "leather rig".. High Noon has a lot of holsters, which one exactly are you using? Ask complete questions, get complete answers. Frankly I have several holsters from High Noon, and think they make great stuff. I doubt it's the holster (although I have no experience w/ their "pleather" holsters (I'm not sure exactly what it is.. I just know it's not leather, it's some sort of synthetic)

robhic
12-27-2012, 11:00
At this point it looks like wearing suspenders with a Kydex holster at 5:00 on a leather belt will do it. Did I get that right? :supergrin:

I really don't want to wear suspenders. I am using a web belt which actually seems to work well when I tighten it properly. I wasn't complaining or blaming the High Noon holster. I really like it (It's the "Bare Asset" model leather cowhide) and it is a great product. It works as it is supposed to.

I just wanted to distinguish between the fact my holster was new leather and not a Kydex type. It looks like the new, different belt might be the answer. And it's not uncomfortable. it's just that tightening the belt holds the gun a bit tight, that's all.

For now I am going to go with "tighten the belt and draw with authority!" to see if all loosens up with a little more time. Then, if that fails, I'll go get a better, gun belt from a quality maker of such.

Thanks to all for the input and suggestions.

Bill Lumberg
12-28-2012, 09:37
With a quality holster, reasonable belt tightness should not adversely affect draw. Are you wearing a proper gunbelt?I've noticed that when I wear pants that are a size larger and put my IWB holster in, I have to find a sweet spot between tightening the belt enough to hold my pants up (:wow:) and not too much so that my weapon isn't constricted in its holster.

I use a web belt with that infinitely adjustable metal buckle. If I leave it too loose, my gun is easy to draw but I risk de-pantsing myself! :supergrin: Too tight (pants stay up) and the gun is harder to remove.

OK, it's a new leather rig from High Noon holsters but will this improve or am I missing something? Thanks for info from the more experienced here.

BigAlE
12-28-2012, 09:46
I got a minotaur for christmas and have been carrying it with a cheap crap belt and it's not that impressive. My belt man is on order so I'm feeling like it will make a big difference.

robhic
12-28-2012, 09:54
With a quality holster, reasonable belt tightness should not adversely affect draw. Are you wearing a proper gunbelt?

I'd answer with a definitive "maybe". :supergrin: It works for me. Holds the holster and keeps it secure when I draw. It also holds my pants. It's just that tightening the belt too much hinders the draw speed.

It's not uncomfortable and the leather holster doesn't have any reinforcing stuff at the mouth to keep it open. I think draw with (more) authority will be my solution for now.

Bill Lumberg
12-28-2012, 11:00
It either is or it isn't. It was made to support a gun or not. There are plenty of stiff leather belts that aren't gunbelts, and don't function well when tasked with supporting that weight. Many web belts with high speed looking buckles that have no business being used as a gunbelt. The number one biggest difference between making do with a regular belt and using a purpose made one is the fact that a gunbelt doesn't have to be cinched tight to stay up or to keep the weapon from flopping out. So, if you have one, congrats. If you don't, they start from about 45 dollars. Good luck either way. Re: holsters- for those times when IWB is indicated (I usually carry OWB), I use sidearmor or crossbreed. Neither closes up with a normally adjusted belt.

SouthpawG26
12-28-2012, 11:33
With a Wilderness Instructor belt and an empty Crossbreed Supertuck, I can tighten the belt down hard, and still reholster and draw repeatedly and smoothly. A good holster and belt combo should not affect drawing and reholstering that much, regardless of how hard you tighten down the belt.

Stvan1
12-28-2012, 11:48
Suspenders!

http://www.perrysuspenders.com/persus.html

I love this forum, learn stuff all the time. I usually shy away from suspenders because of the need to disconnect when you drop your pants or change a shirt but it looks like these eliminate that little problem. thanks :wow:

OldLincoln
12-28-2012, 12:33
I find the issue is using a hybrid holster as the soft back puts the squeeze on the gun. I can adjust the belt to draw okay but is tight, but have to loosen the belt and twist around to holster it. It is a very comfortable holster but I would get a full kydex with the double belt clip option if I could do it over. Since I can't I'll lose a few pounds instead.

SCmasterblaster
12-29-2012, 19:07
I wonder how this rig would work with my 32-ounce (loaded) G17?

deputy1199
12-29-2012, 20:33
Trade in the one size larger pants for your correct size pants with an expanding waistband. The elastic waistband allows IWB carry without excessive belt tightening. You can get the expanding waistbands in both dress and casual pants.

robhic
12-30-2012, 10:40
Trade in the one size larger pants for your correct size pants with an expanding waistband. The elastic waistband allows IWB carry without excessive belt tightening. You can get the expanding waistbands in both dress and casual pants.

Yes, I've got some pants like that (I call them my "fat man pants" :supergrin:) in long and shorts. They work very well. I was more asking about the pants I have that are larger (I lost some weight) and not expandable.

I think I've settled on being a bit more forceful on the draw and if I can't reach a reasonable solution I'll go get a better belt. Thanks!

SCmasterblaster
12-30-2012, 14:13

Amen, brother. Keep it tight.

ScottieG59
01-02-2013, 02:36
With all my leather holsters, I take the unloaded gun, place it in a thin dress sock and holster it fully. I let it stay that way for a day or so to help fit the holster better. Once I remove the gun/sock, the gun still holsters snuggly, but fits better and draws easier.

dosei
01-02-2013, 07:40
I am using a web belt which actually seems to work well when I tighten it properly.

You seem to be rather elusive about actually telling us what belt you are using. The belt is the foundation upon which you build your carry rig...make it a solid foundation.

Now....What web belt are you using? Bison?

robhic
01-02-2013, 17:22
With all my leather holsters, I take the unloaded gun, place it in a thin dress sock and holster it fully. I let it stay that way for a day or so to help fit the holster better. Once I remove the gun/sock, the gun still holsters snuggly, but fits better and draws easier.

I think the manufacturer called this "blocking" and suggested using the plastic bag the holster came in to do something similar.

I think that sounds like something I need to try. I think I will use the plastic and see if that does anything. Thanks for reminding me.

robhic
01-02-2013, 17:26
You seem to be rather elusive about actually telling us what belt you are using. The belt is the foundation upon which you build your carry rig...make it a solid foundation.

Now....What web belt are you using? Bison?

Not elusive -- not informed. It's been here (the belt) for a while and I cannot remember what brand it is. It seems to work as I need it to. It holds the holster / gun well and is supportive.

The root of this whole thread I started is to see if others seem to have to compromise between keeping the belt tight enough to keep the pants up while not choking the holster. I wondered if I was missing something but others seem to have had this same issue.

G17gen3
01-02-2013, 21:46
one answer. thebeltman. I use their horsehide w/ kydex insert (a bit overkill I know but I'll be damned if my gun doesn't stay completed put). It made all the difference and I experienced the same problems as you. I'm 5'10" and 185lbs w/ not much for hips. I carry in the 4:30-5:00 O'clock position IWB but also have a nice OWB rig I carry at 3:00 O'clock.
get a stiff belt and you'll wonder why you never had done it before.
cinch it up or wear it a bit loose. the results the same. your gun draws like it should and reholster well. of course this depends on your holster quite a bit but the belt made all the difference for me.