The Loss of Your CCW Rights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : The Loss of Your CCW Rights

CharlieDelta127
12-26-2012, 21:47
Anyone think that with the potential coming of a gun-control shi* storm, we could see our CPL rights vanish?

I for one think it's a pretty slim chance, but anything is possible with those in office.

What say you?

Short Cut
12-26-2012, 21:49
I think if that happened it would turn millions of law-abiding citizens into law breakers.

CharlieDelta127
12-26-2012, 22:29
Precisely why I see it as not a high possibility of happening....

HarleyGuy
12-26-2012, 23:33
I tend to agree that with a vast majority of states now allowing concealed carry, and with MILLIONS of licenses issued, trying to ban us now could lead to a landslide election in 2014.

However, it would not surprise me if there's an attempt to limit magazine capacity.

cowboy1964
12-27-2012, 01:53
I don't see how given that that is controlled by the states.

ALL these high-profile shootings this year... they weren't committed by CCWers. But they WERE committed by whackjobs already breaking multiple existing gun laws.

cowboy1964
12-27-2012, 01:57
I think if that happened it would turn millions of law-abiding citizens into law breakers.

If a particular state DID retract their CCW law, I seriously doubt more than a tiny fraction of a percentage of previously licensed people would continue to carry. I could be wrong but I don't think so. How many of those carried BEFORE legal CCW?

SouthernBoyVA
12-27-2012, 06:56
Concealed carry is a state issue, not a federal one so I don't see how the feds could pass a law, or go through executive action, to keep a state from allowing this, other than blackmailing a state with the withholding of federal money. And if they did, just carry it openly if your state allows that.

But even if they were to manage to enact something like this, there would be a huge backlash and a lot of people would ignore the law and carry anyway.

IndyGunFreak
12-27-2012, 07:05
Anyone think that with the potential coming of a gun-control shi* storm, we could see our CPL rights vanish?

I for one think it's a pretty slim chance, but anything is possible with those in office.

What say you?

Exactly why CCW should stay a state issue as opposed to a "federal" CCW. I'd rather Hoosiers decide how CCW should be handled in Indiana, rather than some yoyo's from NY or Kalifornia.

IGF

BADOS
12-27-2012, 08:45
No, it won't affect concealed carry. My guess is there will be a concerted effort to ban assault weapons again and perhaps magazine capcity on a federal level. The rest will be up to the states; and every state is different.

cowboywannabe
12-27-2012, 09:37
cant happen, its a state's right issue.

you can ccw in many states based on that state's laws.

HexHead
12-27-2012, 09:43
If anything, if a ban is inevitable, the Pubbies better give us something, like including National Carry reciprocity in the bill. It's the only way 0bama would sign that.

beforeobamabans
12-27-2012, 10:05
Not in Indiana where they have already sold me a lifetime license.

warriorking
12-27-2012, 10:08
Can't happen, Federal government does not have that authority...Only within federal buildings or property can it be issued....Now should the supreme court change hands we could and probably will see a very dangerous extention of goverment powers clearly not in the constitution which could cause us to start carrying openly and unholstered as we march on Washington...

Gunnut 45/454
12-27-2012, 10:09
And you need to change your title - it's a State "PRIVILEGE" not a right! The state can take your "PRIVILEGE" away at any time! Just like a drivers license your CCW can be revoked! There are only three states with Constituional carry VT, AK, AZ. Everywhere else its a PRIVILEGE! Unless you can OC without a permit!:faint:

TDC20
12-27-2012, 10:30
If anything, if a ban is inevitable, the Pubbies better give us something, like including National Carry reciprocity in the bill. It's the only way 0bama would sign that.
I don't think I want National Carry. The Fed's will probably ruin my state's CCW law by tacking on extra fees/training requirements/rules etc. My state's CCW law is one of the best, and I don't want to water it down by combining it with the worst of other states. Plus, in this political climate, do you really think we would get a decent national carry law?

I would rather see this left to the state's, and deal with the state-to-state variances on my own ability to research it before I carry outside my own state.

SouthernBoyVA
12-27-2012, 10:34
And you need to change your title - it's a State "PRIVILEGE" not a right! The state can take your "PRIVILEGE" away at any time! Just like a drivers license your CCW can be revoked! There are only three states with Constituional carry VT, AK, AZ. Everywhere else its a PRIVILEGE! Unless you can OC without a permit!:faint:

Four. You left out Wyoming.

And yes, this post is correct about privilege versus right in regards to obtaining a carry permit. Permit = permission and those who giveth can just as easily taketh away.

FlCracker70
12-27-2012, 14:41
I think that many are not thinking incrementally, which is something that the liberals do all too well. They will never go against concealed carry ... yet.

After this tragedy, they are going to push to have the assault weapons ban. This of course will do nothing EXCEPT set them up for the next tragedy (yes there will be another).

Then they will say, we need more laws and push include more laws under the assault weapons definition. This process will continue until any weapon that accepts a magazine / clip is banned from ownership.

We would be left with revolvers and lever action rifles. The Feds could do this without any input from the states.

Its already been done with automatic weapons (ownership restrictions etc).

I fear that the days of the semi-automatic guns in the hands of the people is numbered. I vomit a little in my mouth when I type this.

IndyGunFreak
12-29-2012, 07:22

You're actually suggesting (unless I'm misunderstanding) the only way Obama would sign a new AWB, is if national reciprocity was in the bill?

I'll have what you're smoking.

Obama cleverly hid his anti-gun agenda during his first term... even cleverly passing a few bills that were "pro gun" but were more or less irrelevant. When the first tragedy of his second term hit (which unfortunately, was inevitable), he pounced. Amazingly, he didn't even get to his second inauguration before that tragedy happened.

Of course, you could never convince "Pro Gun Democrats" of this. The only real hope we have, is for the House to keep this off Zero's desk.

IGF

random southpaw
12-29-2012, 08:43
No, it won't affect concealed carry. My guess is there will be a concerted effort to ban assault weapons again and perhaps magazine capcity on a federal level. The rest will be up to the states; and every state is different.

Agreed. This is a good summary of the situation.

akapennypincher
12-29-2012, 09:24
If you post on Glock Talk, and do not Vote, and did not Vote in the LAST ELECTION on November 6, 2012, IMHO you are part of this problem, and have no right griping about anything in the pipeline.

Sadly in the USA only 15-20% of those eligible to Register TO VOTE, actual cast a Ballot in most elections.

xmanhockey7
12-29-2012, 09:46
No I really don't think so. Looking at the fact in less than 180 days it looks like all 50 states will at least have some sort of permitting system I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon. I do think Illinois will get "shall issue" legislation.

SCmasterblaster
12-29-2012, 09:54
It is too easy to forget that he US Supreme Court had a big, pro-gun ruling in 2008 - Heller.

The Fed
12-29-2012, 09:59
Beware Obama and the Senate agreeing to national reciprocity if the states agree that the federal government has control of CCW.

SCmasterblaster
12-29-2012, 10:03
Beware Obama and the Senate agreeing to national reciprocity if the states agree that the federal government has control of CCW.

I don't trust either of them.

Gunnut 45/454
12-29-2012, 10:23
SouthernBoyVA
You are correct my bad! We have four states that get it! The COTUS sets the rule of law on carry! I just wish the rest would get it straight! But when we are talking money the states will never give up the cash cow of permitting!

GLJones
12-30-2012, 01:46
Don't forget. The Supreme Court just ruled that Illinois must allow carry of firearms by it's citizens. Gave them 180 days to come up with a law (CCW most likely) or they become constitutional carry. I don't see Congress or the President doing anything to restrict CCW federally as the USSC would overturn it based on the above mentioned ruling from a couple of weeks ago.

SCmasterblaster
12-30-2012, 15:30
Don't forget. The Supreme Court just ruled that Illinois must allow carry of firearms by it's citizens. Gave them 180 days to come up with a law (CCW most likely) or they become constitutional carry. I don't see Congress or the President doing anything to restrict CCW federally as the USSC would overturn it based on the above mentioned ruling from a couple of weeks ago.

Another great SC ruling!!!!