Wilson Combat Mag problem! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Combat Mag problem!

9mmmountaineer
12-26-2012, 22:06
Got a new Wilson combat mag for my 3" Kimber and as soon as I got it to the range 6 of 10 mags loaded the final round pushed straight up and caught the tip of the 230gr fmj in between the slide and the hood of the barrel.

I've never had a failure like this so I'm not sure if there is an acronym Fail To Feed maybe.

It only did it on the very last round in the mag. My Kimber mag that came with the gun has been flawless so far, so I'm sure it's the mag itself.

Any clue what causes this?
Any remedy?
Send it back?

So many questions any help is appreciated!
Also this is my first 1911 so I have no prior experience if it's common

fnfalman
12-26-2012, 22:15
If they don't work in your guns, then they don't work in your guns. It does happen.

I have a bunch of 10mm mags that don't work too well in my two Delta Elites but factory mags and CMC mags work just fine. I have a .38 Super mag that choked up with all five of my .38 Supers while; you guess it, other brands work just fine.

Lesson learned: I'm sticking to CMC, Tripp and Mec-Gar. Maybe I can use those Wilson Combat mags for trade for other mags.

ArmoryDoc
12-26-2012, 22:28
Got a new Wilson combat mag for my 3" Kimber and as soon as I got it to the range 6 of 10 mags loaded the final round pushed straight up and caught the tip of the 230gr fmj in between the slide and the hood of the barrel.

I've never had a failure like this so I'm not sure if there is an acronym Fail To Feed maybe.

It only did it on the very last round in the mag. My Kimber mag that came with the gun has been flawless so far, so I'm sure it's the mag itself.

Any clue what causes this?
Any remedy?
Send it back?

So many questions any help is appreciated!
Also this is my first 1911 so I have no prior experience if it's common

You need a stronger mag spring. The recoil is pulling the round out of the mag before it can be pushed into the chamber. A stronger spring will hold it in the mag.

Wetrudgeon
12-27-2012, 06:07
What Doc said. Return the mags.

We trudge on.

1911Tuner
12-27-2012, 10:35
The name of that malfunction is "Bolt Over Base Misfeed" and it's a magazine spring problem that most often shows up in the short, heavily sprung variants due to the slide moving forward faster than the mag spring can keep up with.

The recoil is pulling the round out of the mag before it can be pushed into the chamber.

Nope. What happens is that the upcoming round can't get to feeding position in time for the slide to hit the rim. The lower edge of the breechface catches it in the extractor groove instead. Butt-end goes down...nose comes up. In extreme cases, it turns into a full rideover. It almost always happens on the last round.

9mmmountaineer
12-27-2012, 20:22
I guess I'll try to return it, thanks guys appreciate the help!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

1canvas
12-29-2012, 10:07
I had the same problem with an eight round 47D and many on here and other forums suggested Tripp Research mag spring and follower kit. although I had to give up one round in capacity the problem was solved.

AWMP
12-30-2012, 20:34
I went with Chip McCormick mags in my Wilson pistols.

1911Tuner
12-31-2012, 02:56
You need a stronger mag spring. The recoil is pulling the round out of the mag before it can be pushed into the chamber. A stronger spring will hold it in the mag.

Let's revisit this one. It's also fairly common with certain magazines and it always happens on the last round

It's called "Jumping the Magazine" or "Jumping the Follower" and the spring can be involved...but the root cause is the smooth-topped follower typical of so many flush-fit 8 round magazines. A stronger spring will help, but it doesn't address the real problem.

The little bump on the follower as per the original design keep the cartridge in the magazine when spring tension is minimum and inertial forces from the slide impacting the frame are literally jerking the gun out from under it.

There are two things that can happen.

Either the follower will engage the slidestop and lock the slide with the last round lying loose in the port...or the slide will push-feed the round into the chamber. If the extractor climbs the rim and chambers the round, there's no indication that anything is wrong until the extractor loses tension or the claw snaps off. This is where most extractor problems begin, and it's led to the myth that 1911 extractors need tweaking every so often.

There was a very good reason that Browning and the Dream Team put that silly little bump on the follower. I have a suspicion that those guys really did know what they were doing.

Here's the thing:

The 1911 pistol was designed to function. If it's built to correct specs and fed decent ammunition from a proper magazine, it will function. It's a machine. It doesn't have a choice.

faawrenchbndr
12-31-2012, 10:24
I tend to stick with seven round mags.
Never had an issue with a Colt 7 rounder, prefer Tripp or McCormick

fnfalman
12-31-2012, 14:43
There was a very good reason that Browning and the Dream Team put that silly little bump on the follower. I have a suspicion that those guys really did know what they were doing.

Here's the thing:

The 1911 pistol was designed to function. If it's built to correct specs and fed decent ammunition from a proper magazine, it will function. It's a machine. It doesn't have a choice.

Speaking of Browning and the Dream Team putting together the M1911 design, I've heard of people poopooing the GI mags for lack of feeding reliability with hollow points. I've successfully fed the old Speer/CCI Flying Astray rounds through my GI mags. If a mag and a gun that can eat the old Flying Astray rounds, they can eat anything.

Granted the springs on the old GI guns were rather crappy and get worn fairly quick, but replacement springs were like $2 a pop.

1911Tuner
12-31-2012, 16:47
Speaking of Browning and the Dream Team putting together the M1911 design, I've heard of people poopooing the GI mags for lack of feeding reliability with hollow points. I've successfully fed the old Speer/CCI Flying Astray rounds through my GI mags.

Indeed! I've fed H&G #68 cast SWC though a bone stock, original/ untweaked 1919 production Black Army Colt from the GI magazines. A 1945 Remington Rand and several USGI Colts produced the same results.

Those tapered feed lips and late, gradual release also serve an important function lost with the more recent magazines with parallel feed lips and early, abrupt release.

TacticalTshirtsREP
12-31-2012, 17:12
Different 1911s can be very different. Personally, I have NEVER had luck with Wilson magazines. If they don't work for you, no worries. Keep trying different brands and then commit to that model.

TTR