There will be no AWB! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : There will be no AWB!

Armchair Commando
12-27-2012, 00:52
1) We control the House
2) SCOTUS ruled the 2nd amendment is a RIGHT
3) The Liberals are panicking as they lose their gun control narrative!
4) Executive Order will accomplish nothing as obama has no authority to issue new law! He's out of place here and will easily lose any court battle!
5) The gun control tide is losing steam and were winning the majority of all gun control polls, And the NRA is gaining as many as 8K new members a day!

Wriggly
12-27-2012, 01:18
I hope you are right......

Summary of 2013 Feinstein Assault Weapons

Legislation

Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:

120 specifically-named firearms

Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a

detachable magazine and have one military characteristic

Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept

more than 10 rounds

Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:

Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test

Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts andflash suppressors from

the characteristics test

Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bulletbuttons” to address

attempts to “work around” prior bans

Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than

10 rounds.

Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existinggun owners by:

Grandfathering weaponslegally possessed on the date of enactment

Exempting over900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or

sporting purposes and

Exempting antique,manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons

Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered underthe National Firearms

Act, toinclude:

o Background check of owner and any transferee;

o Type and serial number of the firearm;

o Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;

o Certification from local law enforcement ofidentity and that

possession would not violate State or local law; and

o Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

Airborne Infantryman
12-27-2012, 01:30
If you guys aren't familiar with NFA weapons now, better get familiar if this bill passes. :faint:

Raleigh Glocker
12-27-2012, 06:03
If you guys aren't familiar with NFA weapons now, better get familiar if this bill passes. :faint:

Won't matter if this passes in its current form because it bans transfer outright. In other words, you must go through the NFA process to keep what you've got, but you won't be able to buy someone else's registered weapon.

That said, this looks so onerous as to make it more difficult to get moderate votes. The worse the bill, the less likely it will get passed.

Glockdude1
12-27-2012, 06:19
No AWB.

Got to think positive.

:cool:

TangoFoxtrot
12-27-2012, 06:21
I think the OP has overdosed on the NRA Kool-Aid! Sorry folks don't think we are going to escape this one. When children are killed like they were...The anti-gun liberals surface.

jb1911
12-27-2012, 06:59
I agree with the OP.

xmanhockey7
12-27-2012, 07:07
Requires that grandfathered weapons be [B]registered underthe National Firearms

Act, toinclude:

^ Only reason for this is so they can take them away on a later date.

Walter Bishop
12-27-2012, 08:48
Because the Republicans control the House, they can prevent any new legislation by simply doing nothing. Any new law has to be approved by both House and Senate. The far right wing of the party controls the House. Right now they are blocking the fiscal cliff legislation because they won't support a tax increase for people making over $1 million per year so I doubt they are going to cave to Democratic pressure on the issue of guns. If the pressure to "do something" continues into the Spring they can drag things out for another 6 months by holding committee hearings and then write a bill that deals solely with preventing the mentally ill from buying guns and forcing the Justice Dept. to actually prosecute people who lie on the 4473 form. It will be impossible to reconcile this bill with a Senate AWB bill so the whole thing will die.

cowboywannabe
12-27-2012, 09:34
didnt we control the house when obama care was pushed through?

didnt the scotus change obama care so that it fell as a tax instead?

didnt obama use executive orders to change a lot of things while he holds the office?

do you still believe that the house of reps will stay conservative?

do you still believe the scotus will stand by the constitution and not revise it?

do you still believe obama wont threaten others with executive orders and other things?

dont be naive about the levels the democrats will sink to in order to get their way and change America from made it great.

Gunnut 45/454
12-27-2012, 09:52
Yep King Obamamoa has subverted the rule of law many times why would this be any different. Did he not give amnesty to illegals already? Illegally ran guns into Mexico? Got away with murdering thousands down there! And you stupid people voted him back into office!! And you expect anything different in the next 4 years! You all are truely stupid!:faint:

fuzzy03cls
12-27-2012, 09:57
Never

Famous last word.......Fact is 20 little kids were slaughtered, massacred, killed, however they want to portray it...Someone has to pay. It may not be now, but in 2 years when the reps loose the house(& they will because they are not catering to the minorities that voted for O) we will see something.

Glockdude1
12-27-2012, 10:00
Because the Republicans control the House, they can prevent any new legislation by simply doing nothing. Any new law has to be approved by both House and Senate. The far right wing of the party controls the House. Right now they are blocking the fiscal cliff legislation because they won't support a tax increase for people making over $1 million per year so I doubt they are going to cave to Democratic pressure on the issue of guns. If the pressure to "do something" continues into the Spring they can drag things out for another 6 months by holding committee hearings and then write a bill that deals solely with preventing the mentally ill from buying guns and forcing the Justice Dept. to actually prosecute people who lie on the 4473 form. It will be impossible to reconcile this bill with a Senate AWB bill so the whole thing will die.

Excellent post.

:thumbsup:

Malike
12-27-2012, 10:08
Never

Famous last word.......Fact is 20 little kids were slaughtered, massacred, killed, however they want to portray it...Someone has to pay. It may not be now, but in 2 years when the reps loose the house(& they will because they are not catering to the minorities that voted for O) we will see something.

While it was horrific, let's not forget it is rare. Here are the causes of death per 100,000 children between the ages of 5-14.
4.1 - Unintentional Injury
2.2 - Cancer
0.9 - Congenital Anomalies
0.8 - Homicide
0.7 - Suicide
0.5 - Heart Disease

This data was from 2009. In the 2009-2010 school year there were 11 deaths, 7 were shootings, 1 fight related, and 3 stabbings. I'm doing some guess work based on some census data that there are about 48 million kids between the age of 5-14 in the US. So 0.00001458% of school children in that age range were killed on school grounds by a gun.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Diesel McBadass
12-27-2012, 10:12
Feinsteins ban is so bad nobody will vote for it, it will be back to the drawing board and theyll run out of steam. Republians wont vote for it, poilitical suicide for a republican. Remember the 94 ban? Both houses got taken by republicans. Democrats wont touch the bill if they care about reelection, it wont help them and they know we'll clear out congress.

M&P15T
12-27-2012, 10:14
I think the OP has overdosed on the NRA Kool-Aid! Sorry folks don't think we are going to escape this one. When children are killed like they were...The anti-gun liberals surface.

This:

I truly believe people in the firearms owning community are severely under-estimating what is happening right now.

We'll see.

ancient_serpent
12-27-2012, 10:50
Gentlemen, this was posted in another thread, but http://1389blog.com/2012/12/23/larry-correia-refutes-the-gun-controllers-once-and-for-all/

Give that a read over, I think you'll feel better. I was, and it makes me realize that there are a lot of us in America that feel the same way.

RatDrall
12-27-2012, 11:08
This:

I truly believe people in the firearms owning community are severely under-estimating what is happening right now.

We'll see.

Some of us pay more attention than others.

A lot of us remember the first AWB, and the political slaughter that followed the next mid-term election. A lot of Democrats remember this as well.

Feinstein had this bill in her desk, and has probably proposed it every few months since the last AWB expired.

A US Senator got shot in the face and it was just like this, where all you heard about for the next few weeks was "ban this" and "regulate that". Bills were proposed but were laughed at in Committee, they never made it to the floor for a vote. It was forgotten shortly after.

VP Biden was put in charge of the effort, if that tells you anything about how serious Obama is about passing a ban :upeyes: Now, when nothing succeeds, he can tell the loonies on the Left "Well, I put the vice president in charge of this, if he couldn't get it done no one could have :whistling:"

Glockdude1
12-27-2012, 11:19

A lot of us remember the first AWB, and the political slaughter that followed the next mid-term election. A lot of Democrats remember this as well.

Feinstein had this bill in her desk, and has probably proposed it every few months since the last AWB expired.

A US Senator got shot in the face and it was just like this, where all you heard about for the next few weeks was "ban this" and "regulate that". Bills were proposed but were laughed at in Committee, they never made it to the floor for a vote. It was forgotten shortly after.

VP Biden was put in charge of the effort, if that tells you anything about how serious Obama is about passing a ban :upeyes: Now, when nothing succeeds, he can tell the loonies on the Left "Well, I put the vice president in charge of this, if he couldn't get it done no one could have :whistling:"

Excellent Post.

RMTactical
12-27-2012, 11:24
However unlikely you think it is, we must treat it as if it is a great threat. Our response to this proposal should be very clear and very loud.

HexHead
12-27-2012, 11:26

didnt obama use executive orders to change a lot of things while he holds the office?

do you still believe the scotus will stand by the constitution and not revise it?

do you still believe obama wont threaten others with executive orders and other things?

dont be naive about the levels the democrats will sink to in order to get their way and change America from made it great.

Wow, for starters don't you remember Speaker Pelosi telling everyone they needed to vote for 0bamacare to see what's inside it? No, the Dems controlled the House and Senate and it was passed without a single Republican vote.

The SCOTUS said the penalty was a tax, and Congress had the authority to levy taxes. The Penalty was the question before them. They also said the States couldn't be blackmailed into expanding their Medicaid. I guess that part of their decision went right over your head too?

0bma hasn't changed much with executive orders. They aren't an unlimited power.

The House is standing pretty firm on the Fiscal Cliff. The Pubbies know they'll never get reelected if they throw guns under the bus.

SCOTUS doesn't have the power to revise the Constitution. Only Congress does, with a supermajority and it also requires a supermajority ratification by a majority of states. You really don't know how our government works judging by your questions.

Diesel McBadass
12-27-2012, 11:54
The ban would turn all handguns into nfa weapons thus making them illegal to carry.

Gunnut 45/454
12-27-2012, 14:00
fuzzy03cls
And the evil black rifle was found in the trunk of his car unused in the killing of the children! Funny how that little detail wasn't on the news ! Now how could that happen with Obamamoa truth telling media!:whistling:

cowboy1964
12-27-2012, 14:13
I don't see how NFA registration and no transfers (especially no transfers) survives court challenges. Unless Obama picks a new Supreme. Then we're screwed.

Elections have consequences.

DNS
12-27-2012, 14:27
The house speaker has already said it's time to put gun control on the table!

Palmguy
12-27-2012, 14:47
The ban would turn all handguns into nfa weapons thus making them illegal to carry.

Citation.

The Fed
12-27-2012, 14:58
Beware the government's ability to change existing federal regulations. They do not need to make new laws - they can easily amend BATF regs. I personally wrote changes to federal procurement regulations.

Ruggles
12-27-2012, 14:58
I hope everyone predicting no new AWB is right. I am not as optimistic. I read a lot of post on her in Oct & Nov about how Romeny was going to win as well...all with these great little facts and reasons why.....

I think we might escape on this year but 2014 maybe not so much.......

TheLoonyMonk
12-27-2012, 17:10
http://www.northeastern.edu/news/in-the-news/how-to-prevent-school-shootings/

skyboss_4evr
12-27-2012, 17:28
However unlikely you think it is, we must treat it as if it is a great threat. Our response to this proposal should be very clear and very loud.

Agreed! We cannot get caught with our pants down!

pag23
12-27-2012, 17:55
Gentlemen, this was posted in another thread, but http://1389blog.com/2012/12/23/larry-correia-refutes-the-gun-controllers-once-and-for-all/

Give that a read over, I think you'll feel better. I was, and it makes me realize that there are a lot of us in America that feel the same way.

Great article written by that guy. I completely agree with his points. :cool:

skyboss_4evr
12-27-2012, 18:15

Excellent article! Thanks for sharing, Serpent.

porschedog
12-27-2012, 18:25
Just one more reason to join the NRA

Made in Austria
12-27-2012, 21:09
I always wondered how much political influence firearm manufacturers actually have. I mean, it's still a multi-billion dollar industry with lots of employees all over the nation. Not to mention all the gun stores which would be in deep trouble if such a new ban would pass, as well as firearms and firearm accessories manufacturers.

Makes me wonder if some of the bigger firearm manufacturers created/create some kind of alliance which talk/$$$ law makers out of stupid ideas such as bans and other business harming restrictions. Remember how many people would lose their jobs in the firearms industry, and how much tax revenues will stop flowing in uncle sam's pockets.

t4terrific
12-27-2012, 22:05

The Democrats had majorities in the house and senate for Obamacare. Obamacare passed without a single Republican vote.

WoodenPlank
12-27-2012, 22:07
The Democrats had majorities in the house and senate for Obamacare. Obamacare passed without a single Republican vote.

Even then, they had to get the last votes by hook and by crook.

Jumper
12-27-2012, 22:34
Great article! One of the best I've ever read on the anti logic of gun control.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Diesel McBadass
12-27-2012, 22:55
Citation.

my state bans carrying nfa weapons

rservin77
12-27-2012, 23:33

Correct.

lawman800
12-28-2012, 00:02
1) We control the House
It makes no difference. We only control it for now and not all Republicans are pro-gun and not all Dems are anti-gun. The gun issue does cross party lines. Heck, Both Harry Reid and Howard Dean have A ratings from NRA. Even if the House held firm for now, wait for the next election to see how it goes if we lose the House, which is a real possiblity with the way the voter fraud and uninformed voters swinging this last election.

Again, the current Court said it as much but left it up to the states to regulate within their interpretation, so you still have people living in states and cities with very restrictive rules about owning guns, much less carrying. Again, wait for one current Justice to retire, and Obama appoints another Justice, and this issue will be revisited right quick with the anti-gunners to get another interpretation that there is no right.

Not as much as we think they are. They don't care for the most part because they have the leftist machine behind them. They will ride this wave for all its worth because you never let something like this go to waste without using it to further your agenda.

4) Executive Order will accomplish nothing as obama has no authority to issue new law! He's out of place here and will easily lose any court battle!
Nobody has really challenged him so far on deciding how he executes the laws, including non-enforcement of immigration laws and he doesn't even need to issue any EO's on this. All he has to do is have DOJ, BATFE, and other administrative agencies issue new onerous regulations and enforce them like crazy to run gun businesses out of business. Ammo? Just have EPA issue regulations restricting gun powder and lead or Department of Interior or Parks regulate the same and eliminate a huge chunk of the market to kill off ammo manufacturers. It ain't rocket science.

5) The gun control tide is losing steam and were winning the majority of all gun control polls, And the NRA is gaining as many as 8K new members a day!
Doesn't mean a thing. NRA can lobby and petition and ***** and moan, while the liberal MSM ignores them or makes them out to be crazies like the hit job on the Tea Party. The NRA also is not any part of the government that makes any difference when it comes to the AWB. While I support the NRA and have been a life member for decades, I don't have any illusions about what the NRA can and can't do.

TangoFoxtrot
12-28-2012, 04:19
...so basically we are screwed sooner or later.

M&P15T
12-28-2012, 05:21

You're not the only one that is paying attention to this.

If you want to look back to the past, you would note one very glaring point:

Back in 1993, when the AWB was passed, there had NOT been recent mass shootings with AR15s. Despite this, the AWB was still passed. Of course this lead to the Dems getting crushed in the mid term elections the next year.

Now, we have had a run of very gruesome, and very recent mass shootings with AR15s. And Sandy Hook is having an effect on people the likes of which we have never seen before. But for some reason you believe that all of this means that there will NOT be new anti-gun legislation passed.

You want to think that the Dems will face another crushing defeat in the legislature in 2014, like they did in 1994. That would be an ignorant assumption. With the effects of Sandy Hook and other recent shootings, it is far more likely that some elected officials will lose their seats if they don't vote for the looming anti-gun legislation.

There is going to be enough elected representatives, that previously would not have voted for anti-gun legislation, that will flip and vote for it, out of fear of losing their seats. That will get the looming anti-gun legislation passed.

Times have changed, and it seems like too many gun owners are stuck in the past from 20 years ago. Or fail to grasp the impact of 20 6 & 7 year olds getting murdered.

When the anti-gun folks like Feinstein present their legislation to the floor, they will most certainly roll out the "Mothers and Fathers of the Disappeared" from the Sandy Hook shootings, right out in front of the cameras on live, national TV.

Final point: Most people on GT thought that there were enough votes to stop Obummer Care. A lot of people here were certain Romney would win.

Ooooooops!!

MD357
12-28-2012, 08:43
Back in 1993, when the AWB was passed, there had NOT been recent mass shootings with AR15s. Despite this, the AWB was still passed. Of course this lead to the Dems getting crushed in the mid term elections the next year.

That's not true. Killen, Texas.... late 1991 and the Cleveland school shooting before that. They may not have been recent to certain standards but they were both ingrained in the political discussion back then. Namely, the school shooting about "assault rifles"

M&P15T
12-28-2012, 09:40
That's not true. Killen, Texas.... late 1991 and the Cleveland school shooting before that. They may not have been recent to certain standards but they were both ingrained in the political discussion back then. Namely, the school shooting about "assault rifles"

Killeen was pistols, not an AR.

I can't find anything on a shooting in a Cleveland school around that time. Remember what year that occured?

Ruggles
12-28-2012, 09:57
...so basically we are screwed sooner or later.

Yep IMO that is correct. We take it in the rear now or after 2014. Sucks either way. I would think that if this panic buying things calms down it would be wise to stock up before 2014 just incase. Plus it's a great excuse to buy more guns :)

humanguerrilla
12-28-2012, 10:56
If we hold the House Republicans coming out for gun controls feet to the fire maybe not. Grassley R-GA and Kingston R-Iowa just put out some noise the other day that they are for some gun control measures. It only takes 40 to cross over to screw us.

WoodenPlank
12-28-2012, 11:10
If we hold the House Republicans coming out for gun controls feet to the fire maybe not. Grassley R-GA and Kingston R-Iowa just put out some noise the other day that they are for some gun control measures. It only takes 40 to cross over to screw us.

Republicans hold a 33 vote majority, so only 17 have to cross. That's assuming that EVERY Democrat votes for it, which is extremely unlikely. The Republican head of the House Judiciary committee has already made it clear he doesn't support an AWB, and the bill will have to go through his committee. He can kill it single-handedly by now allowing it to come up for debate in his committee.

Spiffums
12-28-2012, 12:39
I hope you are right......

Summary of 2013 Feinstein Assault Weapons

Legislation

Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:

120 specifically-named firearms

Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a

detachable magazine and have one military characteristic

Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept

more than 10 rounds

Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:

Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test

Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts andflash suppressors from

the characteristics test

Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bulletbuttons” to address

attempts to “work around” prior bans

Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than

10 rounds.

Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existinggun owners by:

Grandfathering weaponslegally possessed on the date of enactment

Exempting over900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or

sporting purposes and

Exempting antique,manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons

Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered underthe National Firearms

Act, toinclude:

They put that bill out every ****ing year since the sunset of the 94 crime bill ban.

lawman800
12-28-2012, 12:54
They put that bill out every ****ing year since the sunset of the 94 crime bill ban.

Man, somebody tell Feinstein she needs to quit the Senate and just concentrate on being a professional lobbyist for the anti crowd. At least that'll get her out of government.

12-28-2012, 13:20
1) We control the House
Thanks for lulling us into a false sense of security.:wavey:

Glockdude1
12-28-2012, 13:31

All true.

MD357
12-28-2012, 13:34
Killeen was pistols, not an AR.

I can't find anything on a shooting in a Cleveland school around that time. Remember what year that occured?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_School_massacre

NDCent
12-28-2012, 15:02

Great article written by that guy. I completely agree with his points. :cool:

Excellent article! Thanks for sharing, Serpent.

Great article! One of the best I've ever read on the anti logic of gun control.

Thanks for posting. One of, if not, the best articles on AWB/gun control I've read. I will be passing it on, for sure. :thumbsup:

captcurly
12-28-2012, 15:18
Yep King Obamamoa has subverted the rule of law many times why would this be any different. Did he not give amnesty to illegals already? Illegally ran guns into Mexico? Got away with murdering thousands down there! And you stupid people voted him back into office!! And you expect anything different in the next 4 years! You all are truely stupid!:faint:
Gunnut, I am 100% with you on this. I can put my head on my pillow at night knowing that I did not vote for Obamamoa. Anyone that is into the 2nd Amen.and voted for him is a complete moron.:tongueout:

humanguerrilla
12-28-2012, 15:23
Republicans hold a 33 vote majority, so only 17 have to cross. That's assuming that EVERY Democrat votes for it, which is extremely unlikely. The Republican head of the House Judiciary committee has already made it clear he doesn't support an AWB, and the bill will have to go through his committee. He can kill it single-handedly by now allowing it to come up for debate in his committee.

Thanks. I don't know what I was looking at.

O2BShooting
12-28-2012, 15:38
You forget one thing the President may have the opportunity to appoint several Supreme Court Justices this term and could change any previous rulings and sway any future lawsuits in favor of the liberals.

BJHXDM3.8
12-29-2012, 08:27
1) We control the House

Tell Obama that. Under item number 4 he magically stopped the deportation of illegal imigrants. Between him and Holder laws or the enforcement of them mean nothing.

WoodenPlank
12-29-2012, 08:31
Tell Obama that. Under item number 4 he magically stopped the deportation of illegal imigrants. Between him and Holder laws or the enforcement of them mean nothing.

...by ordering INS to not follow an existing law. Executive Orders can not make news laws.

Do I think he wishes he could? Maybe. I don't think he's dumb enough to try, though.

M&P15T
12-29-2012, 08:45
I'm more and more convinced that Glock Talk is not the best place to read the tea leaves of politics in this country.

Folks here were certain Obummber Care would not pass.
Folks here were certain that the USSC would over-turn Obummer care.
Folks here were certain Obummer would not get re-elected.

And folks here now believe no anti-gun legislation is going to pass.

I remain convinced that anti-gun legislation is going to pass. In fact I think the mag restrictions are going to be passed next week.

Time will tell.

WoodenPlank
12-29-2012, 09:18
I'm more and more convinced that Glock Talk is not the best place to read the tea leaves of politics in this country.

Folks here currently believe no anti-gun legislation is going to pass.

I remain convinced that anti-gun legislation is going to pass. In fact I think the mag restrictions are going to be passed next week.

Time will tell.

SO are you sitting on your ass proclaiming the end of the world, or are you actually trying to do something about it? No new legislation can pass without the House, and you can help stop it by telling your federal Senators and Representative that you do not agree with these proposals and will NOT support any politician that votes for them.

M&P15T
12-29-2012, 09:38
SO are you sitting on your ass proclaiming the end of the world, or are you actually trying to do something about it? No new legislation can pass without the House, and you can help stop it by telling your federal Senators and Representative that you do not agree with these proposals and will NOT support any politician that votes for them.

I can stop legislation from passing in the house? Perhaps us on GT?:rofl::rofl: Well, I've sent my e-mails, I've done my due-diligence.

There are 323 (or so) million people in this country. Figure about 200 million are of voting age. The NRA has about 4.5 million members. So that's 195.5 versus 4.5

My friend, as I already enumerated, listening to people here on Glock Talk (such as yourself) about politics is useless. I started a poll in the GNG lounge, and the VAST majority of people DO NOT believe that anti-firearms legislation is going to be passed.

It is very evident that the good folks here on GT are not grasping the impact that the Sandy Hook murders are having on people that normally could not care one way or another about gun control. This is something the likes of which we have never seen before, and we are facing a Tsunami of support for anti-firearms legislation in the general population. I have friends that are gun owners, that actually support passing another AWB.

Glock Talk is many, many fun and positive things. But it is not the place to get a grasp of the Nation's political pulse. The memebers here on GT are pretty much extreme 2A supporting gun-owners, chatting with other extreme 2A supporting gun-owners. With everyone burying their head in the sand about what is going to happen in the very near future.

OdinIII
12-29-2012, 09:47
Dang it M&P! Way to take away my warm and fuzzy feeling. ;)

M&P15T
12-29-2012, 09:49
Dang it M&P! Way to take away my warm and fuzzy feeling. ;)

Don't mean to do that.

Let's all hope that I am completely wrong. I love my AR, want more, want ammo, want more mags, want to go shooting more often, want-want-want.

But I truly fear we are going to get crushed this time.

OdinIII
12-29-2012, 09:52

I admit that I've done nothing other than try to plant seeds with post on Facebook about the truths of the AWB. Should I email the same email everyday? Just email each Congressman once? Call everyday? What is the most effective method WoodenPlank?

xmanhockey7
12-29-2012, 09:56
If one of Obama's staff members were to be in violation of this so called "assault weapons ban" you think he'd used his executive power to get them off on all charges? Kind of like he did with Eric Holder.

WoodenPlank
12-29-2012, 10:05
I admit that I've done nothing other than try to plant seeds with post on Facebook about the truths of the AWB. Should I email the same email everyday? Just email each Congressman once? Call everyday? What is the most effective method WoodenPlank?

Email all three of your congressmen(women). Follow up with phone calls on Monday, and again when Feinstein officially introduces her legislation.

Be polite, be professional, and present a small number of facts to back up your statement. Check your grammar and spelling on your email. Being an asshat or appearing illiterate will NOT help our cause.

Don't mean to do that.

Let's all hope that I am completely wrong. I love my AR, want more, want ammo, want more mags, want to go shooting more often, want-want-want.

But I truly fear we are going to get crushed this time.

Maybe you should be looking at actual polls. USA TOday and Gallup released a joint poll showing over 50% of people did NOT support a ban. Plenty of politicians will not support this - even Democrats. Is it possible something can get rammed through? Sure, anything is possible. I'd say it's got even odds of passing the Senate - but significantly less in the House.

Yes, your calls and emails can make a difference. All it takes is a 1 vote majority on "NO" votes in the house to kill this bill. Hell, if you have a Representative on the Judiciary committee, that one person can be all it takes to kill a gun ban before it even gets to the floor.

doodi1
12-29-2012, 10:09
Guys the '93 ban passed the house by a slim margin of 2 votes. 216 to 214 and the Dems controlled the house and the senate.

This time we control the house and I firmly believe that a large chunk of the Dems will not vote for this Bill. I do not think it will pass the House. The Senate is a different thing, but Harry Reid will not stand for this. He will water it down significantly before any votes if at all. I think we will get some sort of magazine capacity limit on handguns and rifles. That will be the extent of the damage. But we have at least another four years of war with the anti's on this. We must continue our fight.

M&P15T
12-29-2012, 10:33
Maybe you should be looking at actual polls. USA TOday and Gallup released a joint poll showing over 50% of people did NOT support a ban.

W.P., it all depends on what polls you look at.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/159569/americans-stricter-gun-laws-oppose-bans.aspx

Plus, there are already reports that A+ rated NRA legislators have come out in support of new anti-gun legislation. And even a Repub or two that have made the same type of statements.

I'm not trying to be anything other than logical and realistic about the situation. And I certainly hope that I am 110% wrong on everything I am saying. I hope that I get pounded for having acted like chicken little.

We'll see in the next few days/weeks/months.

WoodenPlank
12-29-2012, 10:38
W.P., it all depends on what polls you look at.
http://www.gallup.com/poll/159569/americans-stricter-gun-laws-oppose-bans.aspx

Plus, there are already reports that A+ rated NRA legislators have come out in support of new anti-gun legislation. And even a Repub or two that have made the same type of statements.

I'm not trying to be anything other than logical and realistic about the situation. And I certainly hope that I am 110% wrong on everything I am saying. I hope that I get pounded for having acted like chicken little.

We'll see in the next few days/weeks/months.

From the very poll you linked:

"Notably, the 44% in favor of assault rifle bans in response to this trend question is nearly identical to the 42% Gallup found favoring assault and semi-automatic bans (http://www.gallup.com/poll/159422/stop-shootings-americans-focus-police-mental-health.aspx) in a Dec. 18 poll. In that survey, participants responded to a question asking about possible approaches to preventing mass shootings at schools, similar to the shooting that occurred Dec. 14 in Connecticut."

Also, if you look at past polling data, it's pretty obvious the current spike in support for any kind of anti-gun legislation is temporary at best. Considering Obama has even made statements indicating he is in no hurry to push for new legislation, I doubt there will be anywhere near enough support from the public for this by the time Democrats are ready to try anything.

None of this is an excuse not to call and email your congressmen, though. Same goes for anyone reading this - no matter how liberal your congressmen are, tell them how you feel. The constant doom and gloom being foretold on this website isn't helping our cause, either. It breeds apathy, and apathy is NOT what we need right now.

jdavionic
12-29-2012, 10:43
1) We control the House
Yes...and you can see how "strong" the GOP is taking a stance on issues. They are not. So far, I believe 1-2 GOP senators have already come out supporting an AWB. Several others have not made a commitment in either direction.

Yes...but you're attempting to extrapolate that into meaning they ruled that AWBs (a term I hate) are part of that right. That is not the case. They have only ruled you have a right to bear arms. As for the specifics of which type of arm, I don't believe there has been a ruling.

Funny, but I am seeing a LOT of panic on the gun owner side of the fence.

True, however he is looking for ways to use this power to circumvent the process. Whether he's success remains to be seen. But be mindful, he wouldn't consider the option and have the DOJ review the option if he didn't think there was some possibility of using it. I have no idea how he would do so, other than perhaps targeting ammunition.

Yes. However the majority of voters support Obama...not the NRA.

While I certainly hope you are right, I think my comments in red show it's not as cut & dry as we'd all like to think.

M&P15T
12-29-2012, 10:58
Considering Obama has even made statements indicating he is in no hurry to push for new legislation, I doubt there will be anywhere near enough support from the public for this by the time Democrats are ready to try anything.

I don't know where you are hearing that Obama is in no hurry for new legislation. He wants Biden to have something ready in January. That's very quick in D.C.

Still, I really am not worried about Obama and Biden, the action is not centered on them. I'm concerned about what may happen in the House & Senate.

I do agree that there is a short ammount of time anti-gun legislators have to get something passed. I'm thinking they have to get something done between January and March, before people start forgetting about Sandy Hook.

But then they can just roll-out the "Parents of the Disappeared" from Sandy Hook, have them crying and wailing on national TV during floor debates, and rip the scab right off that national wound.

And if there is another mass-shooting in the next few weeks/months? Fuggetaboutit.

WoodenPlank
12-29-2012, 11:00
I don't know where you are hearing that Obama is in no hurry for new legislation. He wantsBiden to have something ready in January.

Still, I really am not worried about Obama and Biden, the action is not centered on them. I'm concerned about what may happen in the House & Senate.

I do agree that there is a short ammount of time anti-gun legislators have to get something passed. I'm thinking they have to get something done between January and Febuary, before people start forgetting about Sandy Hook.

But then they can just roll-out the "Parents of the Disappeared" from Sandy Hook, have them crying and wailing on national TV during floor debates, and rip the scab right off that national wound.

And if there is another mass-shooting in the next few weeks/months? Fuggetaboutit.

With all the budget nonsense going on, the end of January is going to be a long time in politics. The news is already moving on from their coverage of the shooting.

M&P15T
12-29-2012, 11:09
With all the budget nonsense going on, the end of January is going to be a long time in politics. The news is already moving on from their coverage of the shooting.

Again, that's about perspective. Depends on where you look and what you pay attention to.

I watch my morning news while doing cardio at the gym in the mornings. Virtually every news program has a segment about looming gun-control legislation. Yes, the media has dropped Sandy Hook, but not possible gun-control legislation.

I do agree that one of our biggest hopes is continued focus on the Fiscal Cliff. Of course the flip-side of that is that some sort of gun-control legislation could be part of the negotiations on the Fiscal Cliff, and it could happen in the middle of the night, behind closed doors.

jamaicanj
12-30-2012, 07:43
I am very concerned that the bill could pass. Do what you can to educate your friends and family so they can join you in contacting your senators/rep to express the position not in favor of Feinstein's bill.

TangoFoxtrot
12-30-2012, 07:49
Its hard to! I've tried,most people are re-active instead of pro-active. When their gun rights are taken away then they will be like" Oh S***! what happened!"

Made in Austria
12-30-2012, 11:54
Don't worry guys.

Why I Need Assault Weapons - YouTube

skyboss_4evr
12-30-2012, 14:57
Way to go, Chuck!!

boomhower
12-30-2012, 17:14
Full on assault is coming... linky (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/30/obama-makes-passing-gun-control-measures-top-2013-priority/)

Made in Austria
12-30-2012, 17:49
Just read that fox news article. I wonder how he wants to do that with his full power, without ignoring the constitution upon he, Feinstein, and other politicians laid an oath on to support and defend the constitution of the United States of America. President Obama, Feinstein and others will never get something like this through.

There will be no confiscation and no tax stamps will be required for what you already have at home. IF a new AWB gets passed, which is unlikely due to the high number of Republicans in the house, I am sure all your high cap mags and all your "assoult weapon style" guns will/have to be grand fathered. Feinsteins bill like it is right now will have zero chance to pass through the house, and without ignoring the constitution and breaking their oaths. This would be political suicide.

Made in Austria
12-30-2012, 18:30
He is just spreading fear right now, that's all liberals and socialists are good for. They are extremly good in hiding their real agendas. The same thing happened over in Europe after most of the European countries joined the European union, people were very stupid back then because liberals promised them that basic foods and other goods will get cheaper by 50%. Well, after only a few years in the EU, basic foods went up by 150%. Not to mention other problems which weren't there before they joined the EU.

One of the first things I realized after moving to the US was, that most Americans don't like to be fu.... with, and especially not by the covernment. Unlike Eoropeans who say amen and yes to everything the covernment tells them. That's why I love the USA so much. And that's why I think he is just spreading fear and hot air. He knows that he has no chance, not here in the US. He just want's to show his voters that he is still a liberal, and that he is "trying" to do something which would make them happy.

lawman800
12-30-2012, 19:44
Just read that fox news article. I wonder how he wants to do that with his full power, without ignoring the constitution upon he, Feinstein, and other politicians laid an oath on to support and defend the constitution of the United States of America.

Feinsteins bill like it is right now will have zero chance to pass through the house, and without ignoring the constitution and breaking their oaths. This would be political suicide.

When did the oath mean anything to them? When did they care about violating the oath they took? When did ignoring the Constitution or breaking the oath ever stop a liberal?

When did the majority of Americans care enough to do something about it? That's the sad state of our modern reality tv sensationalist mainstream media fed society. They don't know and they don't care.

Made in Austria
12-30-2012, 20:29
You are right. It's the sad truth. But it is not too late, yet. Some people still care.

jdavionic
12-30-2012, 22:07
Full on assault is coming... linky (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/30/obama-makes-passing-gun-control-measures-top-2013-priority/)

I saw his interview on Meet the Press. It appears they will take a multi-pronged approach. He emphasized the effort by his appointed dolt - Biden. I expect Feinstein's bill will be round 1 and they will see what they can get from the attempt. Round 2 will be using lessons learned from Round 1...assuming the Feinstein bill does not pass.

TacticalTshirtsREP
12-31-2012, 19:49
1) We control the House

I tend to agree this MIGHT now happen. I think a 10 round limit is still on the table. THAT is the argument that needs to be won. The argument of semi-automatic-sporting-rifle is NOT a, machine gun, assault weapon or NFA BS.

Of note: The reason the NRA didn't litigate the AWB is the SCOTUS would rule a AWB as constitutional. It's settled law that the government can regulate gun laws.

I'm not going to get into the minutia of fighting a new class of weapon that doesn't exist, because that is where you can beat an AWB in court.

In short, don't count on SCOTUS. They'll burn you on this.

TTR

vikingsoftpaw
12-31-2012, 19:59
1) We control the House

From your mouth to God's ears!

Bighoss
12-31-2012, 20:37
I am glad that everyone is confident that their will be no AWB, everyone that has taken that time to post in this thread better be contacting their representative. The link below takes you to a website where you fill in your zip code and you can send an email to them.

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/mail/?alertid=61046526&type=ML

I remember in 94 many people talking like the ban would never pass and I was extremely unprepared for it because I did think it was possible as well. This is not a time to sit and talk to each other about how this isn't possible.

Trust me we have to remind them that we will not allow them to pass an AWB without consequence. I know most people think it is a waste of time but it is worth a shot.

TX OMFS
01-01-2013, 23:20
...The link below takes you to a website where you fill in your zip code and you can send an email to them.

I remember in 94 many people talking like the ban would never pass and I was extremely unprepared for it because I did think it was possible as well. This is not a time to sit and talk to each other about how this isn't possible...

Great post and a handy link I have bookmarked. I already wrote to all my state & federal people but I'll use this link next time.

Drjones
01-02-2013, 14:04
1) We control the House

That said, this looks so onerous as to make it more difficult to get moderate votes. The worse the bill, the less likely it will get passed.

I agree with both of these posts and am also *cautiously* optimistic that there will not be a new *federal* ban.

That said:

- Pay attention to what your STATE legislature may be up to. I know in California we have some BIG battles ahead of us this year.

- DO NOT GET COMPLACENT. CALL, EMAIL, AND WRITE THE FEDERAL POLITICIANS FREQUENTLY TO VOICE YOUR OPPOSITION TO THIS BILL.

It will be amended to be less draconian than originally written, which may make it more tempting to some politicians, so keep up the pressure.

Drjones
01-02-2013, 14:05
I am glad that everyone is confident that their will be no AWB, everyone that has taken that time to post in this thread better be contacting their representative. The link below takes you to a website where you fill in your zip code and you can send an email to them.

I remember in 94 many people talking like the ban would never pass and I was extremely unprepared for it because I did think it was possible as well. This is not a time to sit and talk to each other about how this isn't possible.

Trust me we have to remind them that we will not allow them to pass an AWB without consequence. I know most people think it is a waste of time but it is worth a shot.

Yes, this bears repeating a million times over; we need to keep up the pressure.

Also thanks for that link - do you know if they charge if you have a printed letter sent?

DaleGribble
01-02-2013, 18:20

Folks here were certain that the USSC would over-turn Obummer care.

And folks here now believe no anti-gun legislation is going to pass.

Time will tell.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you on some points.

Several GT'ers thought I was crazy when I said Obama was going to win and Romney's 47% comment was going to hurt him. Nobody wanted to hear that Romney was not a real conservative and that he couldn't get the far right to come out. Sure enough, the vote totals proved exactly that.

On gun control I'm not so sure. I say this based on a few observations. Obama knows gun control is a political nightmare and that's why he's already starting to waffle. Any red state democrat that votes for any gun control measures is dead in the water in 2014 and he knows that. Right after Sandy Hook Obama began the push and he was pretty confident he was going to get some political traction. As of last week, in his Meet The Press interview he had already lost some steam and it was obvious in his answer to the direct question, by David Gregory, about having the stomach for the upcoming political fight. Instead of answering with a confident yes, Obama danced around the question. That was a big sign that he's worried about the next two years. He knows if he expends a lot of political capital and loses the gun control fight, any agenda he stands behind is going to lack party support.

I personally think were going to see standard capacity magazine restrictions, closing of the gun show loophole and maybe some restructuring of the background check system and new reporting requirements from mental healthcare practitioners. I don't think were going to see any transfer restrictions or any new laws banning any specific weapons. We will see new import restrictions, via executive order, so we can kiss anything imported that accepts standard capacity magazines, goodbye!

lawman800
01-02-2013, 20:37
What is this gun show loophole that everyone is talking about?

SIGlock
01-02-2013, 20:52
[QUOTE=DaleGribble;19812091]I personally think were going to see standard capacity magazine restrictions, closing of the gun show loophole and maybe some restructuring of the background check system and new reporting requirements from mental healthcare practitioners.[QUOTE]

Let's hope that these are the only items on their agenda. Anything else add on to this will be terrible for the gun abiding citizens.

If I could just get about 8 more hicap mags.....I would be all set for the ban. :supergrin:

Razorback01
01-02-2013, 20:58
What is this gun show loophole that everyone is talking about?

It's refering to people being able to buy and sell guns at gunshows without having to go thru a background check...nevermind the fact that people actually do have to and that all laws that affect gun buying outside gunshows also affect gun buying inside gunshows as well

lawman800
01-02-2013, 22:02
It's refering to people being able to buy and sell guns at gunshows without having to go thru a background check...nevermind the fact that people actually do have to and that all laws that affect gun buying outside gunshows also affect gun buying inside gunshows as well

Yep, I wanted the pundits to answer me because as far as I know, there is no exemption to any laws just because a transaction happens in a gun show instead of a gun shop.

That is just another scare term they conjured up to make it seem like all kinds of illegal or loosey goosey transactions going on for criminals to buy full auto weapons or whatever.

WoodenPlank
01-02-2013, 22:06
Yep, I wanted the pundits to answer me because as far as I know, there is no exemption to any laws just because a transaction happens in a gun show instead of a gun shop.

That is just another scare term they conjured up to make it seem like all kinds of illegal or loosey goosey transactions going on for criminals to buy full auto weapons or whatever.

If you are buying fron an FFL, there is no exemption. What the gun-grabbers hate are private sales between individuals, so they demonize gun shows and act as if nobody gets a background check at a show.

Just like demonizing "assault weapons" because they look scary, even though less than 400 murders are committed in the US per year with rifles in general, much less "assault weapons."

lawman800
01-02-2013, 22:16
If you are buying fron an FFL, there is no exemption. What the gun-grabbers hate are private sales between individuals, so they demonize gun shows and act as if nobody gets a background check at a show.

Just like demonizing "assault weapons" because they look scary, even though less than 400 murders are committed in the US per year with rifles in general, much less "assault weapons."

If your state does not regulate sales between private parties, then it's the same at the gun show or at your house. There is no loophole at the gun show, and you will definitely not find a law that says "all transfers between private parties are subject to the same regulations as FFL, except if they are done at a gun show." Won't happen. Never going to happen.

In CA, all private party transfers go through a FFL except for C&R guns. Gunshows are not exempt from anything. There is no gunshow loophole. Doesn't exist. Never did.

Just another made up boogie man for the leftists to scare the lemmings to follow their lead.

Rifles are used in 353 murders according to the latest FBI stats, and all black rifles are a mere subset of those numbers. Not quite as scary when you actually use facts, but hey, never let the truth get in the way of a good liberal agenda.

silvrevo
01-14-2013, 10:33
I heard the NRA say on tv last two days.,,,,,,,,there is NO way a AWB will ever pass congress.

Only way it will go thru is with OsamaExecutiveAction...........Which in about 30 mins. he will be speaking on......

Should be interesting to say the least. Then Tuesday Mr. Numnutzz himself is going to have his little talk about what he found out since being headed up of the AWB.

That should be better.

brisk21
01-14-2013, 11:01
I really don't think anything extreme will pass. They are trying to do too much. They are getting greedy and it will bite them in the arse. I'll bet about 1 year from now a lot of people will be selling their stockpiles at a loss.

jb1911
01-14-2013, 13:24
The 1994 AWB caused the left in congress to get creamed in the mid-term election. Let's all hope the same thing happens in 2014.

DNS
01-14-2013, 13:29
They could get a magazine ban passed. I read a separate bill to ban magazines will be introduced also. Keep up the pressure.

Tommy Gun
01-14-2013, 17:25
In theory the op is correct. The NRA has cultivated a congress that should hold up against any gun control effort. But,,,, the heavy media assault being placed on these members may change some minds. It will be hard to measure until actual voting takes place but our side could loose in some ways.

jdavionic
01-14-2013, 20:17
In addition to the bill(s) to be proposed, they are now touting 19 possible executive orders pertaining to guns
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/biden-guns-executive-actions-86187.html

lawman800
01-14-2013, 20:50
The 1994 AWB caused the left in congress to get creamed in the mid-term election. Let's all hope the same thing happens in 2014.

Let's hope not, because it did get passed and we suffered through ten years of it even with the mid-term elections showing the left that it was political suicide.

Besides, it really makes no difference to us in CA, we have our own AWB which is worse than the federal and will never sunset.

silvrevo
01-14-2013, 23:41
Not 1
But
Executive bilateral actions!?!?!?!

Simply amazing.......Hail Dictator Obama.

jb1911
01-16-2013, 13:12
Let's hope not, because it did get passed and we suffered through ten years of it even with the mid-term elections showing the left that it was political suicide.

Besides, it really makes no difference to us in CA, we have our own AWB which is worse than the federal and will never sunset.

I miss-spoke there. I didn't mean I wanted the ban to be re-instated, I meant that if it is re-instated the left gets creamed again.

Not 1
But
Executive bilateral actions!?!?!?!

Simply amazing.......Hail Dictator Obama.

It actually ended up being 23, and they are all pretty mundane.

The following is a list, provided by the White House, of executive actions President Obama plans to take to address gun violence.
1. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system.
2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.
3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
4. Direct the Attorney General to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.
5. Propose rulemaking to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.
6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.
7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.
8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).
9. Issue a Presidential Memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.
10. Release a DOJ report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.
11. Nominate an ATF director.
12. Provide law enforcement, first responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.
13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.
14. Issue a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.
15. Direct the Attorney General to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.
16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors asking their patients about guns in their homes.
17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.
18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school resource officers.
19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.
20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.
21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.
22. Commit to finalizing mental health parity regulations.
23. Launch a national dialogue led by Secretaries Sebelius and Duncan on mental health.

boomhower
01-16-2013, 20:21
Regardless of what they actually do the fact he signed 23 order to explicitly avoid congress before even giving them the chance to enact law speaks VOLUMES!!!!!!

Regardless of what happens with the ban remember this and in 2014 we need to turn the senate.

mrmedina
01-16-2013, 21:28
1) We control the House

You sir, are a prophet!

SIGlock
01-16-2013, 21:59
Regardless of what they actually do the fact he signed 23 order to explicitly avoid congress before even giving them the chance to enact law speaks VOLUMES!!!!!!.

IMPEACH OBAMA NOW !!!!!!!!!:steamed:

Raleigh Glocker
01-17-2013, 03:11
Regardless of what they actually do the fact he signed 23 order to explicitly avoid congress before even giving them the chance to enact law speaks VOLUMES!!!!!!

Regardless of what happens with the ban remember this and in 2014 we need to turn the senate.

Hey, I'm all for fighting, but it's best to work with the right info. The 23 EOs that were actually signed were NOT done to explicitly avoid congress. They are each exactly what the executive branch is supposed to make decisions on, whether we agree with them on principle or not.

Congress still has the ultimate authority on any one of these because they can block the federal funds necessary to implement EOs. This has been done before with the shotgun importation study in 2011 being just one example.

In short, there is no way any president can use an EO without Congressional consent, and it doesn't look like any of these particular EOs are generating significant controversy.

TK-421
01-17-2013, 04:10
IMPEACH OBAMA NOW !!!!!!!!!:steamed:

Good luck getting that through the Senate. :tongueout:

lawman800
01-17-2013, 09:03
Good luck getting that through the Senate. :tongueout:

Don't matter, as long as the House has the cajones to draw up the articles, it will taint the administration in history forever.

Kirishiac
01-17-2013, 09:55
Please no more talk of impeachment. President clown and his circus are going to have a lot to answer for in the 2014 elections. They don't need any sympathy, because mean ole republicans are trying to impeach the first black president.

M&P15T
01-17-2013, 10:16
Well, the 23 E.O.s were nothing but a bunch of political hot air/smoke & mirrors, so now the fight is right back to the legislature.

But people are calming down now. Sandy Hook is fading from the collective memory, and those 23 E.O.s are going to make some idiots think that obummer actually did something about guns, which will calm the retards down even more.

lawman800
01-17-2013, 22:57
Please no more talk of impeachment. President clown and his circus are going to have a lot to answer for in the 2014 elections. They don't need any sympathy, because mean ole republicans are trying to impeach the first black president.

Bill Clinton was the first black president. Barack is the first half black president.

Wake_jumper
01-17-2013, 23:01
As long as their are no more Sandyhook's, I think the OP is correct. Another SH, and we will be lucky if an AWB is all that happens.

The litmus test will be the new NY AWB. I hope it is challenged in court and struck down.

TTM65
01-18-2013, 01:16
They understand this and have started from another angle. Look closely at what they are proposing. The will tie gun ownership through obamacare. Folks who have had any issues with any type of mental health will be banned from gun ownership. It will take this system a while to get geared up but trust me it is coming.

GeneralSnafu
01-18-2013, 18:30
Let's not forget, the Republicans got the Supreme Court to declare corporations are persons. Based on that, anything is possible.

Ruggles
01-18-2013, 19:27
Well, the 23 E.O.s were nothing but a bunch of political hot air/smoke & mirrors, so now the fight is right back to the legislature.

But people are calming down now. Sandy Hook is fading from the collective memory, and those 23 E.O.s are going to make some idiots think that obummer actually did something about guns, which will calm the retards down even more.

True enough :wavey:

ArmoryDoc
01-18-2013, 21:09
Those 23 E.O.'s are what's called "incremental-ism". You are a fool to assume they are harmless. You so misunderstand and underestimate your opponent[s].

lawman800
01-18-2013, 21:37
Let's not forget, the Republicans got the Supreme Court to declare corporations are persons. Based on that, anything is possible.

Actually, that is not entirely accurate.

Corporations, under the theory of corporations, which date back centuries, are considered legal entities with rights and responsibilities like any other legal entity, such as an adult person.

Corporations can enter into contracts like anyone else and avail itself of pretty much anything else like another legal entity under the law.

So the Citizens United holding just says that corporations should have the right to "speech" as any other entity... which is not as big a deal as you would think.

Political organizations like unions and churches and charities which are chartered under various laws, including being a non-profit 501 corporation as authorized by the tax code, are allowed to fund political campaigns and engage in "speech" on behalf of the entity. Why would a corporation be treated any differently?

TTM65
01-19-2013, 05:12
Those 23 E.O.'s are what's called "incremental-ism". You are a fool to assume they are harmless. You so misunderstand and underestimate your opponent[s].

+1 on this. Those who believe otherwise will soon be surprised.

pgg00
01-19-2013, 12:50
Unfortunately the republicans will probably always do what they do when an issue comes up. Cave.

WoodenPlank
01-19-2013, 13:17
Unfortunately the republicans will probably always do what they do when an issue comes up. Cave.

Right, because the Democrat leaders are screaming for this to happen...

Oh, wait, they're not. Even Harry Reid has said they're not likely to pass anything (http://www.businessinsider.com/reid-assault-weapons-ban-is-doomed-2013-1).

Loansharkx
01-19-2013, 13:51

There's a far right wing in the Republican Party? News to me.

Zombie Surgeon
01-19-2013, 13:54
A new AWB is only a Democrat majority Congress away.

jakebrake
01-19-2013, 13:54

as a matter of fact, no. it was d straight up. senate was super majority d, house was majority d, wh d.

and the awb already has defectors from party lines like (and let this one sink in....) al franken.

WoodenPlank
01-19-2013, 13:58

You really think that's going to happen? Given the Senators up for reelection next year, I think it's far more likely that the Republicans take back some power in the Senate, if not an outright majority.

lawman800
01-19-2013, 14:25
You really think that's going to happen? Given the Senators up for reelection next year, I think it's far more likely that the Republicans take back some power in the Senate, if not an outright majority.

Not if ACORN, NBPP, dead voters, and illegal voters have anything to say about it.

shotgunred
01-20-2013, 13:02
I don't see an AWB passing right now. However I am worried about midterm elections.

Rooster Rugburn
01-20-2013, 17:48

They had one from 2009 to 2011, and didn't do anything.

Schumers and Feinsteins will talk all day long because they are safe. The rest of their party, not so much.

JackMac
01-20-2013, 18:34
we are circling the drain, soon we will be either subjects or criminals. The tree of liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots. God Bless America! We are seeing a fine example of demogogury.

frank4570
01-20-2013, 20:14
Another mass shooting WILL happen.
If another one was to hit right now, worse than Sandy Hook, there would be a ban on magazines, "assault weapons", and "gun show loopholes". It would pass easily. It would be supported by MORE americans than those who would oppose it.

jdavionic
01-20-2013, 21:08
If another one was to hit right now, worse than Sandy Hook, there would be a ban on magazines, "assault weapons", and "gun show loopholes". It would pass easily. It would be supported by MORE americans than those who would oppose it.

And that is another issue with the whole idea of registering firearms, and not the only issue. However, you concede and register today....another incident happens and we get an AWB...it becomes much easier to pressure people to give them up. Not saying I would, but I think many people would.

Cole125
01-21-2013, 00:33

Now that the emotions are cooling down I think more and more people are realizing gun control is not the answer to anything other than disarming honest law abiding citizens.

In the free society there is risk, mass shootings will happen and we can't be scared we are going to loose our rights every time one does.

lawman800
01-21-2013, 11:56
Now that the emotions are cooling down I think more and more people are realizing gun control is not the answer to anything other than disarming honest law abiding citizens.

In the free society there is risk, mass shootings will happen and we can't be scared we are going to loose our rights every time one does.

Well, the masses don't think calmly like that and the dems are too quick to capitalize on anything like that and fear monger to get their way so... yes... I do think the next one will do us in and it won't be slow and deliberate.

PAGunner
01-22-2013, 05:24
as a matter of fact, no. it was d straight up. senate was super majority d, house was majority d, wh d.

and the awb already has defectors from party lines like (and let this one sink in....) al franken.

Al Franken supports an AWB. That said I don't see this thing going anywhere.

BLACKMAGICK
01-23-2013, 04:31
Cannot picture Al Franken shooting an AR...just can't.

jb1911
01-23-2013, 17:41
Al Franken supports an AWB. That said I don't see this thing going anywhere.

All morons support the AWB.