What do you remember about the 1994 ban? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What do you remember about the 1994 ban?

sjfrellc
12-27-2012, 19:41
Back in the days, everything was grandfathered. How long after 1994 were pre-ban magazines still sold by the major online retailers? I can't remember but I thought it was forever.
I think the 30 round magazine is the lightening rod of the antis vs. the pro 2As against te tyranny of the Govn't. Don't think they will be grandfathered next time around.

Ruggles
12-27-2012, 20:29
1994 not a lot of anything sold on the internet.

Gun shows and gun shops were the main source. They were fairly plentiful in Houston at shows but were $100 or more a piece. The entire 1994 ban just sucked if you wanted anything over 10 rounds. All of your new handguns would come with 10 round mags. Felt wrong buying a Beretta 92 with a 10 round mags for example.

Of course that helped lead me to the 1911 platform so it did have it's upside :)

I do disagree with you they will be Grandfathered this time as well. I have not seen anything saying otherwise in any proposed legislation.

bernie herd
12-27-2012, 22:08
Sig 229 .40 cal 12 round mags were $100 each then.

20South
12-27-2012, 22:13
I remember Glock 20 Mags going for $125-$150.

Z28ricer
12-27-2012, 22:15
IIRC Glock "high cap" mags were around $80 ea in 2001ish ?

To be honest, about an hour after our idiots, err I mean presidents "speach" on the sandy shooting, I ordered 10 magpul 30s for myself, as well as the 2 my brother requested.

concretefuzzynuts
12-27-2012, 22:41
The ugly thumbstock guns.

cowboy1964
12-27-2012, 22:55
Yeah, there really were no online stores back then. I bought my extra mags at the local gun shop. HK USP mags were about $25 (before the ban, generally about $75-100 within a year or two after, IIRC).

GAFinch
12-27-2012, 23:01
I remember seeing A2-style AR's on tv all through high school and went to buy one when I turned 18, not aware of all the particulars of the AWB (no internet back then), and the guy at the gun shop shook his head, told me the post-ban ones just weren't the same, and let me shoot a pre-ban AK rental a couple times so I could see what he meant.

spork
12-27-2012, 23:32
I was able to use department letterhead for some of my mag needs, but as a collector I had to scrounge the market for everything else.

Pre-ban mags could range from 60 dollars (used 226 9mm) to $160 (rare G20 pre-bans).

Retailers like CDNN still had pre-ban mags for various pistol models on sale up until near the end of the ban, but they usually ran from $99 dollars and up.

Some were just hard to get no matter what. You just had to watch the auction sites and hit the gun shows.

As far as rifles, well that varied widely. Typical prices for most pre-ban rifles were double what they had been previous to the ban, but it could vary. Most any pre-ban rifle could still be found if one looked hard enough, but cost was a factor.

lawman800
12-28-2012, 00:21
We have our own AWB which was enacted before the federal AWB and then updated throughout the years and it never expired so the federal AWB never impacted us really other than to limit available supplies outside of CA. Starting with the federal ban, newly manufactured magazines were banned, but we can still buy from existing stock.

I recall unscrupulous dealers, circa 1993-95, stealing mags out of gun boxes and selling customers the gun with only 1 mag and then charging $50-75 for the other mag(s) which were supposed to already come with the gun.

It got so bad, some of you may recall that Para-Ordnance, and some other gun brands, back then actually only shipped their guns with 1 mag and included a certificate for you to redeem up to 2 more mags with proof of purchase, e.g. receipt.

Then the same dealers figured out they would just "buy" the guns themselves, redeem the certificates for the mags, sell the guns as new since the customer never would know the difference, and not mention anything about the certificates, then sell the redeemed magazines for a profit, figuring most gun buyers probably wouldn't know about it, unless they read the gun magazines regularly.

Then in 2000, all mags over 10 rounds were banned, period, new or old. No manufacturing, importation, sales, allowed for anyone who is not exempt. Fully licensed FFL dealers had to get a separate "high capacity magazine" permit if they wanted to continue selling these mags to LE... who are basically the exempt people who can still buy regular capacity magazines.

Existing magazines legally acquired before the ban are all legal, but cannot be used in weapons which are CA compliant. So if you have a post-ban CA AR/AK or whatever evil rifle, you can't use any mag over 10 rounds or else you face a felony charge for "manufacturing" a new assault weapon under CA law. BTW, CA compliant evil rifle means the magazine is "locked" and cannot be ejected freely with the original magazine release.

CA people can still buy magazine "repair kits" of any capacity which are just magazines taken apart, and used to replace or repair existing legal magazines but if you put a kit together instead of using it as parts for an existing magazine, that is a felony as well. Yeah, go ahead and try to enforce that one.

Sorry for the long post... just wanted to get the information out to those who are in the free states as to what CA residents had to live with for more than a decade already.

One thing I remember is how the look of the AR's all changed with all the carbine uppers matched to full sized stock A2 lowers, without flash hiders and bayonet lugs. Totally retarded looking. The FN-FAL and the like came with thumb hole stocks, as did a lot of AK's. Man, it was an ugly period... sorta like the 70's, except for guns instead of fashion.

Ruggles
12-28-2012, 00:48
We have our own AWB which was enacted before the federal AWB and then updated throughout the years and it never expired so the federal AWB never impacted us really other than to limit available supplies outside of CA. Starting with the federal ban, newly manufactured magazines were banned, but we can still buy from existing stock.

I recall unscrupulous dealers, circa 1993-95, stealing mags out of gun boxes and selling customers the gun with only 1 mag and then charging $50-75 for the other mag(s) which were supposed to already come with the gun.

It got so bad, some of you may recall that Para-Ordnance, and some other gun brands, back then actually only shipped their guns with 1 mag and included a certificate for you to redeem up to 2 more mags with proof of purchase, e.g. receipt.

Then the same dealers figured out they would just "buy" the guns themselves, redeem the certificates for the mags, sell the guns as new since the customer never would know the difference, and not mention anything about the certificates, then sell the redeemed magazines for a profit, figuring most gun buyers probably wouldn't know about it, unless they read the gun magazines regularly.

Then in 2000, all mags over 10 rounds were banned, period, new or old. No manufacturing, importation, sales, allowed for anyone who is not exempt. Fully licensed FFL dealers had to get a separate "high capacity magazine" permit if they wanted to continue selling these mags to LE... who are basically the exempt people who can still buy regular capacity magazines.

Existing magazines legally acquired before the ban are all legal, but cannot be used in weapons which are CA compliant. So if you have a post-ban CA AR/AK or whatever evil rifle, you can't use any mag over 10 rounds or else you face a felony charge for "manufacturing" a new assault weapon under CA law. BTW, CA compliant evil rifle means the magazine is "locked" and cannot be ejected freely with the original magazine release.

CA people can still buy magazine "repair kits" of any capacity which are just magazines taken apart, and used to replace or repair existing legal magazines but if you put a kit together instead of using it as parts for an existing magazine, that is a felony as well. Yeah, go ahead and try to enforce that one.

Sorry for the long post... just wanted to get the information out to those who are in the free states as to what CA residents had to live with for more than a decade already.

One thing I remember is how the look of the AR's all changed with all the carbine uppers matched to full sized stock A2 lowers, without flash hiders and bayonet lugs. Totally retarded looking. The FN-FAL and the like came with thumb hole stocks, as did a lot of AK's. Man, it was an ugly period... sorta like the 70's, except for guns instead of fashion.

Oh yeah I remember that removing of the 2nd mag to resell by dealers as well. That sucked.

countrygun
12-28-2012, 01:53
I remember that I wasn't allowed to buy a "new" AK with all those dangerous features and horrible high cap mag, but I was able to take my munificent stipend from a 6+ week long stint on jury duty on a major trial, and order a CETME in 7.62 NATO and all the 20 rd mags I wanted, but it was considered "safe" for some reason. Probably because they had removed the dangerous flash hider and replaced it with a muzzle brake, which allowed me to put rounds on target faster.

I never figured that out, I guess I am not the gun expert that the politicians are :dunno:

Glockdude1
12-28-2012, 06:31
Glock 18 mags were selling for $300 at some gun shops.

:cool:

collim1
12-28-2012, 10:29
I remember lots of jams in my Beretta 92fs using the 10rd mags it came with.

I remember having to get the Sheriff to sign an authorization form stating that I was buying a gun or magazines for LE related work before I could order standard capacity magazines.

I remember paying $50 bucks for a pre ban 15rd Beretta magazine that had seen better days.

Most of all I remember seeing a convicted felon in possession of a fully automatic AK47 with 40rd magazines with no regard what so ever for the AWB laws he was breaking when he committed a robbery and led officers on a high speed chase.

The AWB was useless and made it difficult for lots of honest people to enjoy their favorite sport and protect themselves.

WoodenPlank
12-28-2012, 11:51

I remember having to get the Sheriff to sign an authorization form stating that I was buying a gun or magazines for LE related work before I could order standard capacity magazines.

I remember paying $50 bucks for a pre ban 15rd Beretta magazine that had seen better days.

Most of all I remember seeing a convicted felon in possession of a fully automatic AK47 with 40rd magazines with no regard what so ever for the AWB laws he was breaking when he committed a robbery and led officers on a high speed chase.

The AWB was useless and made it difficult for lots of honest people to enjoy their favorite sport and protect themselves.

Yet the folks screaming for gun bans will never listen to any of this. They think the can wish guns away, and we will exist in a peaceful utopia.

lawman800
12-28-2012, 12:49

Oh yeah, I remember the exemption for LE and how a lot of stores have no idea how to administer it and some just asked to see your ID and others wanted a copy of the ID and some asked for official letterhead from Chief to authorize you to buy the magazines. Guess which stores got everyone's business?

para40
12-28-2012, 12:54
"What do you remember about the 1994 ban?"

Things were much much safer. :whistling: :cool:

captcurly
12-28-2012, 15:12
Glock 19s with 10rd mags. The entire 1994 ban was a PIA for everybody and it did nothing to reduce crime. Just check the stats to verify this. I am just glad that I got all the mags and everything else I will need.

kirgi08
12-28-2012, 15:22
$600 + AR beta mags.'08. :faint:

cpham9006
12-28-2012, 15:26
Nothing. I was 4 years old

Dreamliner787
12-28-2012, 15:31
Buying pistols and getting stupid 10 round mags instead of the standard capacity that the pistol was designed for.

lawman800
12-28-2012, 16:28
Glock 19s with 10rd mags. The entire 1994 ban was a PIA for everybody and it did nothing to reduce crime. Just check the stats to verify this. I am just glad that I got all the mags and everything else I will need.

The G19 was not as ridiculous as seeing full sized guns like the G17 and Beretta 92FS with piddly 10 rounders which were either blocked off or single column.

Why even bother with those guns if you are limited to the same capacity as a smaller or lighter gun?

Jason D
12-28-2012, 16:56
I remember dealers here stripping full capacity magazine from guns that people brought in to sell. Glock 17's sold without magazines for new gun prices, and magazines being 80 bucks a pop for well used mags. Those could be found right up until the ban sunset.

I remember the GI AR magazines and M14 magazines being fairly plentiful and being at just about any gun show. I don't recall the AR magazines being much above 15-20 bucks. The M14 magazines were 50 to 60.

I remember magazines for the larger Glock pistols being well over 100 bucks. Mostly around 150 or so.

I remember neutered AR rifles being sold. At the time Bushmaster was still shipping ever rifle with 30 round magazines....(1998-99 or so).

NEOH212
12-29-2012, 00:26
The two most memorable things for me about the ban were that it did nothing to reduce crime and it drove the prices of all the good stuff through the roof.

:steamed:

cowboy1964
12-29-2012, 01:42
The G19 was not as ridiculous as seeing full sized guns like the G17 and Beretta 92FS with piddly 10 rounders which were either blocked off or single column.

Why even bother with those guns if you are limited to the same capacity as a smaller or lighter gun?

Well, you still have a larger grip, longer barrel, and sight radius. But yes, it's pretty silly, overall.

COLDSTEEL165
12-29-2012, 03:00
I remember that after Bill Clinton signed it into Law & it stayed on the books till apx 2006 It did not do a Dam thing to bring down or stop any Firearms Gun crimes at all.? It was a worthless Law that put restrictions on number of mag rouinds some States like mine can own or use etc.& now D. Feinstein ( Cal.D) wants to re introduce it again.? & Again it will nmot do anything to stop any gun crimes etc.?

vettely
12-29-2012, 03:56
The ugly thumbstock guns.
This and no bayonet lugs and/or flash suppressors.

roger123
12-29-2012, 06:51
I remember wanting an AR but being too poor to afford one.

I also remember all the hype around high cap mags and how it drove prices through the roof, once again, I was too poor to afford any of it. My cousin was really into it and had more cash than me, we went to every gun show and store in FL and he would by ammo, Glock mags, "tactical shotguns", AR's, etc. I sat back and watched the madness sort of shaking my head at what he was paying for some of this stuff and how he was "hoarding", I guess it's time for round two.

My financial situation is much better this time around but it drives me nuts to see the hype, panic and shortages that this crap brings with it which has absolutely no effect on crime in any way shape or form. Just maddening!

MrMurphy
12-29-2012, 07:04
I was six months too young to buy anything legally, and it sucked.

Hi-caps were available, though expensive, right up till the day the ban went away. I was working in a gunshop then and we had just about everything available, just not cheap.

xmanhockey7
12-29-2012, 07:06
Being only 20 I really don't remember the AWB but all this hysteria is teaching me something. Best to gradually stock up on mags, ammo, etc. before this sort of thing happens. That way you have everything you need without paying $150 for a 33 round Glock 18 mag.

exmdshooter
12-29-2012, 07:24
Bought my first AR during the ban... a new 16" Bushmaster XM15-E2S/A2 carbine... fixed stock, no bayo lug or flash hider, but a perfectly good rifle. Came with a couple of lame 10 round mags, but used military 30 rounders weren't all that hard to find at shows; and weren't THAT expensive. Bought a handful of those, stripped them down and refinished the bodies, then replaced the followers and springs to create essentially new mags.

Still have the rifle and the mags... though the fixed stock got replaced with a collapsible one in 2004 when the ban expired.

The biggest annoyance for me was not being able to get standard capacity mags for my Glock 19. Bought that during the ban too, and it came with a pair of blocked 10 rounders. Pre-ban Glock mags were nowhere near as plentiful as AR mags and were priced accordingly. Didn't really stock up on standard capacity mags for the Glock until the ban expired.

Generally the ban was a useless PITA and caused many of us to pay more for the stuff we wanted than we should have... and it had ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT on the violent crime it was supposed to prevent. Stupid, clueless politicians. :steamed:

lawman800
12-29-2012, 09:54
Well, you still have a larger grip, longer barrel, and sight radius. But yes, it's pretty silly, overall.

For most people with average sized hands, those guns push the edge of what is manageable for a solid master grip. The compromise is the amount of ammo inside the grip, but without the number of rounds, there is no reason to compromise and the focus shifts back to getting a gun that fits you over a gun with highest capacity.

psycho steve
12-29-2012, 11:48
Three day waiting period on handgun purchases.

lawman800
12-29-2012, 12:12
Three day waiting period on handgun purchases.

We actually had a 15 day wait period forever in CA and then sometime during the 90's, it got reduced to a 10 day wait and it's still the same now, so we never knew about having no wait periods or anything less in CA.

kirgi08
12-29-2012, 12:15
Even for LEO.'08.

Tx-SIG229
12-29-2012, 15:02
i remember my Sig p229 .9mm coming with one regular magazine. i wrote Sig a letter about this to complain. they sent me a 10 round mag in the mail for free...

Osborne
12-29-2012, 15:08
I was about two years old so not much.

RMTactical
12-29-2012, 19:19
Well, I only remember the back end of it, I couldn't even own a gun when it was passed. I seem to remember that heavily used 30 round pre ban USGI mags were going for around $20 or so when I bought my first AR15. However, there are a LOT more AR15 owners now than there was in 2002~.

Then again, ammo was cheap back then. $80 for 500 rounds of brass cased .223.

I'M Glockamolie
12-29-2012, 19:41
If you're a hotrod guy, I'm sure it was like being in about 1971, with all of the good stuff going away, being replaced by kinder, gentler versions that kinda looked the same. It stunk, and I started in '04 gathering what I may need, should it ever happen again. And, now the day may soon be upon us.

jamaicanj
12-30-2012, 07:50
I remember finding g17 mags for $79.99 from CDNN. I was so ecstatic to find them at they price as every other source has them for $100-135.

I also remember the sad feeling of watching ar15 rifles going from $750 and then overnight going to $1300 and then jumping again magically to $1800...then $2300....

I also remember meeting a guy who had purchased 100 ar15 rifles just before the ban. He sat on them and flipped them later and paid off his mortgage.

J.R. Bob Dobbs
12-30-2012, 09:46
I remember buying a new Colt AR, and selling it 6mo later for three times what I paid :cool:

Mil-Spec
12-30-2012, 13:07
Two things stand out in my mind about the 1994 Clinton "Crime Bill" a.k.a. assault weapons ban (AWB) including the so-called "high-capacity" magazine ban.

In April 1994 I had just gotten to Osan AB, ROK for a 1-year tour and remember being frustrated by all the references to "high-capacity" magazines by the Left and the mass media. The gun writers at the time (I don' t recall specifically which one(s) now) correctly pointed out that the AWB affected standard capacity magazines. The guns were designed to use a certain capacity magazine; it was the Left mislabeling them to suit their agenda.

The other thing that stands out was that when I was later returning from Ramstein AB, Germany in 2001, still under the AWB, I had to sell my standard capacity mags over there since I could not yet import them into the US. Over there I had purchased several Sigs, including a P229, as well as an HK USPC and a G23. Over there they came with the factory original standard capacity mags, naturally. Of course, the HK, and my other Sigs that I bought there (220, 239, and 232) were already designed for 10 rounds or less and therefore were unaffected by the stupidity of the AWB mag limits. I had my Dad procure two available 13 rounders for my G23 ($$$), and three each USA Mag 9mm 20- and 30-rounders for my P89 and PC-9 before I got back. I still have those extended magazines in my safe. I had to wait until 2004 before I finally got standard capacity mags for my 229; I had been using the then-legal (and available) 10-rounders up to then.

Since I learned from that experience, after I bought my Sig 556ER rifle back in 2007, and then my S&W AR in 2012, I've been buying a PMAG here and there "just in case"... I WAS thinking of selling my Sig 556 to finance a suppressor for my AR, but now I'm inclined to hang onto it for a while. I'll sell my motorcycle instead. May even put a scope and bipod on the Sig 556.

That's what I remember from the first (and hopefully last!) "assault weapons" ban; let's not go down that dead-end road again...

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

kirgi08
12-30-2012, 13:51
Helluva good post.'08.

mgs
12-30-2012, 14:00
I remember it did not work and I bought my first Glock G17 because of it. All it did is make guns look silly and magazines expensive. Did not effect crime rates at all. It was feel good bull**** by stupid politicians. We now have stupid people to agree with the stupid politicians who want to control everyone.

BuckyP
12-30-2012, 15:09

Yes, a G34 with a 10 round magazine will still outshoot a G19 with 10 round magazines in most peoples hands. I actually use the 10 round magazines in my G34 now, mostly because I do shoot matches in NJ where you can't have more than 15. Luckily, they work just fine, though I find I replace the springs more frequently. :dunno:

BuckyP
12-30-2012, 15:14

Yep, just hurts the good people, but then the people behind this already know that.

BTW: I was shooting Beretta in competition during the ban, and I had no reliability issues with the 10 round magazines. Sorry to hear you experience wasn't the same.

wirenut
12-30-2012, 16:29
I remember the democraps loosing thier hineys in the elections and I HOPE THEY REMEMBER!

Sensai
12-30-2012, 19:02
Back in the days, everything was grandfathered. How long after 1994 were pre-ban magazines still sold by the major online retailers? I can't remember but I thought it was forever.
I think the 30 round magazine is the lightening rod of the antis vs. the pro 2As against te tyranny of the Govn't. Don't think they will be grandfathered next time around.
The bad guys had plenty of 30 rounders. You could buy em on the street for 20 bucks.:tongueout:

lawman800
12-30-2012, 19:38
Yes, a G34 with a 10 round magazine will still outshoot a G19 with 10 round magazines in most peoples hands. I actually use the 10 round magazines in my G34 now, mostly because I do shoot matches in NJ where you can't have more than 15. Luckily, they work just fine, though I find I replace the springs more frequently. :dunno:

Yes, there are always reasons such as hunting or competition where you have round limits, and people's hand sizes and preferences and dietary preferences and religious beliefs and which side of the bed they woke up on all comes into play but my thing is, all things being equal to the buyer and he can shoot all the guns the same, what's the point of having a way bigger gun if you can't hold more rounds.

wct097
12-30-2012, 19:39
I remember looking at a Mini-30 with a folding stock at a gun store and wanting one. Then I bought the gun and started learning the law and realized that I couldn't put a folding stock on it legally and that the one at the gun store was probably illegal as it was "new".

I also remember picking up a pair of Eagle Arms AR lowers from Quantico Firearms at a gun show a few months before the ban expired and waiting so that I could legally assemble it as a post-ban AR.

I think I still have PMs in my inbox from a mod here scolding me for posting pics of my stripped lower with an adjustable stock screwed into it.

I remember finding 30 rounders for my Mini-30 and 15 rounders for my S&W 910 fairly easily online and at gun shows in the early 2000's. Somewhat pricy, but still found them.

I wish I wasn't in a financial tight spot (remodeling a newly purchased foreclosure), because I'd really like to pick up a Gen4 G19 with 3 15 rounders.

michael e
12-30-2012, 19:47
Seeing people pay 80 for a12 round mag when 10 rounders where only 20 bucks.
The ugly thumb hole stocks on mak-90's

I was only 12 when it went into effect. Hoping we don't see another one.

Big Bird
12-30-2012, 23:14
The thing I remember most about the 1994 AWB is it took the Democrats 4 years to get it passed (they started in 1989 after the Stockton School Yard Massacre) and they held both houses of Congress and the White House and once the passed it they lost the House of Representatives for the first time in 30 years.

That's what I remember about the 1994 AWB.

WoodenPlank
12-30-2012, 23:19
The thing I remember most about the 1994 AWB is it took the Democrats 4 years to get it passed (they started in 1989 after the Stockton School Yard Massacre) and they held both houses of Congress and the White House and once the passed it they lost the House of Representatives for the first time in 30 years.

There are plenty of Democrats that remember, too.

doktarZues
12-30-2012, 23:25
I was clueless..In late August/early September of 2004, I was at Fort Riley, KS, and went about 1,000ft off post to purchase my first gun, a G19. (I actually bought the G19, a Maverick 88, and a 10/22 all at the same time. Man that was a beautiful day for me.) I never batted an eye or questioned that the mag held 10 rounds only. I supposed that was normal, I guess.

A close buddy of mine, equally clueless, liked my G19, and bought the same thing from the same gun shop around Christmas time, and I remember us both scratching our heads that his came with 15 round mags. WTF, Over!

I've been shooting and collecting ever since..

chewybaca67
12-30-2012, 23:33
Bought my first AR during the ban... a new 16" Bushmaster XM15-E2S/A2 carbine... fixed stock, no bayo lug or flash hider, but a perfectly good rifle. Came with a couple of lame 10 round mags, but used military 30 rounders weren't all that hard to find at shows; and weren't THAT expensive. Bought a handful of those, stripped them down and refinished the bodies, then replaced the followers and springs to create essentially new mags.

Still have the rifle and the mags... though the fixed stock got replaced with a collapsible one in 2004 when the ban expired.
:

I had one of them too. My 1st AR type also. It served me well for nthe time. Soon as 2004 rolled around I traded it for a Bushy with collapsable stock, removable carry handle/rear sight, flash hider and bayonet lug.

Main thing I remember is that there wasn't nearly as many firearm manufactures as there is now. Wonder if that will make any difference this time around.

fnfalman
12-31-2012, 02:51
I remembered that I sold off my Beretta AR70 and FN FNC for some princely sums.

BuckyP
12-31-2012, 06:52
Yes, there are always reasons such as hunting or competition where you have round limits, and people's hand sizes and preferences and dietary preferences and religious beliefs and which side of the bed they woke up on all comes into play but my thing is, all things being equal to the buyer and he can shoot all the guns the same, what's the point of having a way bigger gun if you can't hold more rounds.

Hunting or competition, or range use, or home defense, or basically anything other that CCW, I argue the full size is still the better option for most.

Consider how much more popular the 5" 1911 is over the Commander size 1911s, both having the same round count.

YMMV

LA_357SIG
12-31-2012, 10:26
Seeing people pay 80 for a12 round mag when 10 rounders where only 20 bucks.
The ugly thumb hole stocks on mak-90's

I was only 12 when it went into effect. Hoping we don't see another one.

I also remember the ugly thumbhole stock AK's as a teen. High prices for Glock magazines ($60-80) were another vivid memory.

FireForged
12-31-2012, 12:04
All I remember was the endless search for mags and all the millions of threads on "which mag was best".

All the RAGE were:

Thermold
Orlite (mold #23 up)
USGI 20's
USGI 30's (as long as they were not coopers)

MStarmer
12-31-2012, 16:40
30rnd mags NIW weren't that hard to find on AR15.com. I don't think I ever paid more than $30 (Center Industries) and I ended up with (10). I'm still using them today with new MagPul guts. Original Colt 20's though were quite expensive and elusive, at least for me. I lived easy enough without the flash hider or bayonet lug but I really missed the adjustable stock! Those evil features increase the killing efficiency exponentially! Just holding a preban gun back then could kill you...

sammyh312
01-12-2013, 19:49
I remember a visit from our local ATF special agent in-charge in my chief's office over me popping up on their grid after several multiple gun purchases. My best friend owned a shop at the time, and he'd let me take a couple of different guns every few months to play with, then after that id return em get a couple more. Well, that red-flagged me so they called my buddy. They started asking a buncha bull**** querstions about whether i was an extremist, was i in a militia...etc. Buddy says, "hell no, call him, he works for the xxx police department." Hearing i was a cop, Buddy said their attitude changed where i was now "ok". They still showed up at the PD calling it a "courtesy visit", as it appeared i mioght be dealing without a license...blah, blah. I was effn livid!!! I told em courtesy my ass, if it was courtesy you woulda came by my house and not brought it to my job...etc. the meeting ended very poorly when i told em to get back in their black helicopter and go find some real criminals rather than some broke-ass cop who happened to buy a glock and a sig in the same month. never heard another thing.

Matthew26
01-14-2013, 17:18
I remember paying $60 each for used Glock 22 mags. Glock 23 mags were over $100. Hope it doesn't come back to that, but have always kept it in the back of my head as a possibility.

RWBlue
01-14-2013, 18:17
I remember NOT buying guns because I couldn't find good mags for them.

I remember buying the mags that were available and having them NOT work.

wct097
01-14-2013, 19:41
I remember buying some crappy Mini-30 magazines (30 rounders) prior to buying the rifle because finding mags was harder than finding a gun that would accept them.

Orive 8
01-15-2013, 09:55
I remember that my duty gun and off duty gun were a Sig P220 .45 with a 7+1 capacity and Sig P239 9mm with a 8+1 capacity.

I remember shaking my head at some people buying $75 and $100 "hi-cap" mags.

My wife on the other hand had a Sig P228 as her EDC gun. She did have six 13 rd mags, and bought another five 10 rd mags for her training mags.

vettely
01-15-2013, 10:00
To get any extra mags (Glock) I had to send a Dept. letterhead request.

mikeflys1
01-15-2013, 10:51
I was only 11 and had a pre-ban super soaker.

Road Dog
01-15-2013, 15:06
Let's see:

Paid $75 for a G17 standard mag with a +2 and thought I got a great deal.

Paid $85 + shipping for a standard G22 mag and was excited to get it.

Saw AR magazines go from $7 brand new to $30 overnight.

Watched $650 ARs go to $2100 in about 2 weeks and people were scrambling to buy them.

Saw $350 AK types go from $350 to around 1K.

IDPA matches that began "anyone with high caps down load to 10" to keep the matches even.

I did not buy several pistols because standard mags were unavailable or cost prohibitive.

And I remember the mid term elections that sent most of the people that voted for the "assault weapons ban" to the unemployment line.

RD

owl6roll
01-15-2013, 18:24
I had just graduated the Academy. Remember going to the Chief and getting a letter for magazines.

lawman800
01-15-2013, 21:14
I had just graduated the Academy. Remember going to the Chief and getting a letter for magazines.

I had just graduated as well but we were issued the weapon and 3 magazines so didn't need to buy any more but when I did buy some for my own weapons, I didn't need a letterhead, just my ID.

Badger54
01-15-2013, 21:47
I just turned 8 so not too much.:p

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

USSOCOM
01-16-2013, 00:08
This all makes me want to get that .50 BMG Barrett much sooner than planned.

WASRfan
01-16-2013, 00:35

No. The 89-ban was an offshoot of the ongoing cocaine cowboy drug wars - despite the '86 MG ban - coupled with the Stockton, CA schoolyard "massacre" done by a direlect with a Norc AKM.
With the Brady shooting fresh in everyones head, Bush The Elder had his Drug-czar Bennet do a Biden impersonation and come up with a plan to end the violence.

This gave us 922 and effectively shut down/neutered the best of the imported "EBRs" - like HK PDW pistols with vertical grips, HK94s, Uzis, verticle foregrips on the 1927A5 Thompson "pistols".
Now our import EBRs had thumbholes and Sarah Brady dildoes on the ends of our threaded barrels, and no dreaded flashhider and bayo lugs. Hi-caps were unaffected.

Prices jumped - but not as retarded as now and mostly on the "pre-89" imports.

The 94 AWB came from Klinton, as apparently the 89-ban didn't go far enough to ban hi-caps. He got it thru by putting the auto-expire on it.
Gun prices were not horrible, but hi-caps were super expensive.

Importers and mfgs got creative with the 94-ban with AKs like the WUM, CUR, Romak, MAK90s, SA85s, brakes as opposed to flashhiders.

The Klinton CHICOM ban was a side issue to all of these prior bans and was primarily due to the still-Red Chinese slipping sanitized select-fire AKs into SoCal street gangs. That'd piszz me off too, so I can't fault Klinton on that one.

lawman800
01-16-2013, 01:35
The 89 ban caused all the guns affected by it to go up in price overnight. I remember seeing the prices change because I went to the same gunstore both before the ban and the day after the ban. Same gun displayed in the same rack but double the price.

WEATHERBY460
01-16-2013, 05:39
who was the president that forced the ban?

random southpaw
01-16-2013, 08:33

Said ban was in effect when the Columbine Murders took place. That ban did absolutely NOTHING to prevent Columbine from happening!

WASRfan
01-17-2013, 00:35
who was the president that forced the ban?

Nixon for the GCA of 68

Reagan during the 86-MG ban - supposedly snuck in the middle of night session

Bush I for the 89-import ban and 922 restrictions - with Reagan's nod. The 922 stuff is still in effect.

Klinton for the 94 AWB - with Bush I and Reagan's nods. This expired for Free America under Bush II, but the 89-ban 922 crap remains.

Klinton for the CHICOM ban, still in effect. No more MAK-90s.

Recognize that the Republicans haven't exactly been the most 2A friendly bunch?

WoodenPlank
01-17-2013, 00:45
Nixon for the GCA of 68

Reagan during the 86-MG ban - supposedly snuck in the middle of night session

Bush I for the 89-import ban and 922 restrictions - with Reagan's nod. The 922 stuff is still in effect.

Klinton for the 94 AWB - with Bush I and Reagan's nods. This expired for Free America under Bush II, but the 89-ban 922 crap remains.

Klinton for the CHICOM ban, still in effect. No more MAK-90s.

Recognize that the Republicans haven't exactly been the most 2A friendly bunch?

FOPA Hughes Amendment VOTE APRIL 10 1986 - YouTube

Watch the video of it for yourself. The Hughes amendment was added under very shaky legislative terms to a pro-gun bill. Blaming Reagan for it is short-sighted.

WASRfan
01-17-2013, 01:22
<snip> The Hughes amendment was added under very shaky legislative terms to a pro-gun bill. Blaming Reagan for it is short-sighted.

Nope, happened during Reagan, not by Reagan.

He gave us FOPA - which we all enjoy everytime we buy ammo without logging it, ammo over the 'net, and all that nice ex-WWII milsurp carbines and Garands that were allowed in.

fg17
01-17-2013, 18:28
I was mostly shooting revolvers and bolt action rifles. Still do, althogth I have always had a pistol around, right now I have a G17 because I like shooting GSSF matches. I remember still being able to get anything you want as long as you could afford the outragous prices, I wont play that game. Other than that it did not hurt my shooting enjoyment at all. I did buy a ruger pistol that came with 10 roung mags with a cheesy stopper at the bottom.

klmmicro
01-17-2013, 18:52
I remember really...it was useless and lost the dems their power seat for a long while. It showed them what the 3rd rail is.

SDDL-UP
01-17-2013, 22:33
A few things to remember about the 1994 CLINTON gun ban

1) it cost the SITTING SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE - Tom Foley (d)WA his job

2) it cost the democrats control of the house of representatives

3) it was a "foot in the door" socialist gun controllers always wanted - they immediately began talking about the 7 round magazine limit (see New York state 2013), a ban on all semi-autos, and some kind of restrictions on "sniper rifles" AKA - hunting rifles.

4) everything was very expensive HK-91 magazines that should have cost $20 were going for $75 - thank you federal government.

5) magazine companies tooled up as quickly as possible and a lot of them turned out complete junk, I don't even know who they all were as they didn't even bother to mark their product (I wouldn't have either if I were putting out such junk)

6) Senator Max Baucus (d)MT claimed he didn't even know how many firearms were banned by name in the bill for which he voted. (he wasn't haing an affair either, he wrote the TARP bill, helped push through Obamacare, what a winner!)

Not fond memories - especially those about the next step so many gun grabbers were ready to take afterwards, like I said - the foot in the door! California actually DID confiscate firearms - some rifles that were allowed to be registered under an extended grace period that the state later "revoked" or some such nonsense. I will never "register" my Constitutional rights.

lawman800
01-17-2013, 23:10
California actually DID confiscate firearms - some rifles that were allowed to be registered under an extended grace period that the state later "revoked" or some such nonsense. I will never "register" my Constitutional rights.

Fuzzy on the exact sequence of events, but it was 2000 when they wanted all AR's and AK's registered along with other non-assault weapons which were converted to become assault weapons, such as Mini-14's with aftermarket pistol grip stocks, but Mini-14's with the factory stock are exempt from registration. They also flip flopped a few times on imported SKS with non-detachable magazines but decided they had to be registered as well.

Then after it was all said and done, in 2001, when the grace period was over, the legislature decided that the previously SKS which they allowed to be registered was too dangerous to be allowed at all, so they notified all the law abiding gun owners who registered those guns to turn them in.

We did get to keep all the AR's and AK's but somehow the SKS was too dangerous. Whatever.

vikingsoftpaw
01-18-2013, 12:47
I remember getting my neutered DPMS sans flash hider. Two years post ban you could still get new mags. Makers ran a whole bunch.

Tango 1Zero
01-18-2013, 13:06
Bought a thumbhole stock Maadi AK47 for around $250.00 no bayonet lug, threaded barrel had a muzzle cover welded on it.
Back then you didnt see ak parts around. I bought if for spares. I still have it.
I did comb the shows for Sig 226-228 mags for around $55 anything under that was a good deal to me.
Same with Glock 17 and 19 mags. I tried to find them under $55.
On the positive side 50 Linked BMG ammo was $1 a round.
5.56 PMP battle packs were dam cheap around $30 for 200 rounds.

pgg00
01-20-2013, 10:33
I remember having to get a letterhead to buy a rifle (colt 6920), registering I as an "assault weapon". Needing an ID and permission to buy standard capacity magazines.

It did nothing but hurt law abiding citizens.

SmithietheFox
01-20-2013, 11:17
$125 13-round Glock 21 mags, ARs with collapsible stocks pinned open, AKs with under-folding stocks pinned open, cheap ammo, Romanian SARs for $300, SKSs at $90-100, ARs with goofy looking muzzle-brakes, flashiders that were closed, thumb-hole stocks, folks paying primo $ for "pre-ban" AR lowers and slapping 6920 uppers on them (you could always tell the SP1 lowers because you'd see an M4A3 w/no mag fence).

lawman800
01-20-2013, 11:59
AKs with under-folding stocks pinned open, SKSs at $500, ARs with goofy bullet buttons and ten round mags fixed in place.

We have that now in CA anyway.:crying:

klmmicro
01-20-2013, 12:20
It did nothing but hurt law abiding citizens.

Which is the only group that gun control ever actually effects anyway. Gun control is not about stopping crime, it is about controlling the rank and file citizen. Always has been used for that purpose...and always will be.

shotgunred
01-20-2013, 12:47
I remember a cop outside a gun store sold me 2 mags with LE only stamped on them.:whistling:

Stock Perfection
01-20-2013, 14:50
Perfect- with all the talk around lately, alot of this stuff has been coming back to me. We are getting older after all ladies and gentlemen. I was a teen shooter with his second pistol. In '94 I remember wondering what the little old ladies would think about my G-21 loaded with Black Talon ammo. Double evil! LOL The news was all over it. They made it sound like anything black would kill you, immediately, without mercy (Wait a minute...). An older friend made the point to 'just not talk about it'. People seemed to be wary of talking about certain weapons, ammo or mags. Would someone 'turn you in'? Who would care? Why can't I just buy what I want? It really was a confusing time for me. But I could pawn my magazine for $50 to get me over the weekend. Since then I've learned the rules of Citizenship of this Republic (the Constitution). I truly hope that there are'nt any young shooters still confused about these things today. The IntraWeb has probably helped some. I do know that their video games have owners' manuals, and so does their government. See that they read, understand, and follow all safety precautions to avoid tyranny. And remember this- there is no more important safety item than these, our Arms.

Cavalry Doc
01-20-2013, 17:52
I remember buying a blue label G23 with 3 mags marked "RESTRICTED, LE/GOVT ONLY" in 2004.

Yeah, I don't care. I carry one of those in my carry weapon, and a 15 round G22 mag as a reload. Testing, testing, 1 - 2 - 3, testing..... I will comply with all TEXAS gun laws.

RWBlue
01-20-2013, 20:23
It really was a confusing time for me. Since then I've learned the rules of Citizenship of this Republic (the Constitution). I truly hope that there are'nt any young shooters still confused about these things today.

Looking at how many guns were sold since the term BAN came up.
AND
Looking at how many young people voted for O.

I think there are a lot of people who need a history lesson.

mr.scott
01-22-2013, 21:19
I must have missed it somehow. I found a 30 rnd mag for my p89 for $25 in 2001. $30 for a 30 rnd Berreta 92 mag. My roommate bought a bushmaster for around 900 and had 30 round mags with it.

WASRfan
01-22-2013, 23:59
<snip>

Looking at how many young people voted for O.

I think there are a lot of people who need a history lesson.

Ever watch Jay Leno show where he does the Jay Walking segment asking common folks common questions?

This nation is in a deeeeep binjoe ditch.

RWBlue
01-23-2013, 11:10
Ever watch Jay Leno show where he does the Jay Walking segment asking common folks common questions?

This nation is in a deeeeep binjoe ditch.

I think a lot of that is people being stupid to be on TV.

Personally, I could have been on TV many times, I don't want to be on TV for being stupid.

dkf
01-23-2013, 11:19
The TV networks edit out the people they don't want in the show. There is not a whole lot of live TV anymore. Coherent well spoken people do not make good TV in the eye of many networks.

lawman800
01-23-2013, 14:34
I think a lot of that is people being stupid to be on TV.

Personally, I could have been on TV many times, I don't want to be on TV for being stupid.

So you will never be on reality TV.:supergrin:

herricane
01-23-2013, 16:20
All that i remember was my chief telling me about the ban. Then how he felt about the people in washington. Then he told me to get my guns and 12 mags for both guns and meet him at the range(the range was only 100 yards away). 6 mags for me 6 for him. He told me to go full auto and shoot.
After we were done he sead f@@@ washington we have our 30 round mags an an M16 any time we want.
Todays problems are a little more conserning. I DO NOT HAVE THE COAST GUARDS GUNS ANY MORE.

Jason D
01-23-2013, 17:00
I remember buying a blue label G23 with 3 mags marked "RESTRICTED, LE/GOVT ONLY" in 2004.

Yeah, I don't care. I carry one of those in my carry weapon, and a 15 round G22 mag as a reload. Testing, testing, 1 - 2 - 3, testing..... I will comply with all TEXAS gun laws.

I may have had a good bunch of LEO magazines during the ban without ever having been an LEO.

kirgi08
01-23-2013, 21:19
:whistling: