Woudl You Upgrage? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Woudl You Upgrage?

LawrenceArchery
12-27-2012, 21:08
Hey guys, long story short I dropped in a lgs today and he said he has a large order of Daniel Defense Ar's coming in mid January. He had one in the back he showed me. It has magpul stock and rear sight, free floating rail handguard, vertical down grip, and comes with one p mag. He said he will be asking $1313. Right now I have a Smith and Wesson M&P15 OR with a two piece railed handguard. I thinks it CAA i believe, it's a lesser expensive one. I've also changed the grip to a Houge rubber grip. I would definitely like to have the free floating hand guard on the dd and the magpul stock would be nice to. So my question is, do you think the DD would be a big upgrade. I imagine I could sell my M&P online right now and probably would not have to come up with much money to buy the Daniel Defense. Are these better rifles or would it not be that big of an upgrade? Thanks

Stephenthesuave
12-27-2012, 21:13
I would. If he will hold one for you I would sell the m&p in a heartbeat.

LawrenceArchery
12-27-2012, 21:18
He sells to the military or defense contractors or something. I can't remember but he is placing a pretty large order for them and is ordering extra for whoever wants one but you have to pay upfront. Not a big deal as long as I'm gauranteed I get the gun. I would have to sell my AR to purchase the new one.

SCSU74
12-27-2012, 21:28
why don't you just put a FF rail on the MP and add the magpul stock you like? Would be a lot cheaper... You could probably get the rail, stock, and gas block for $300

boomhower
12-27-2012, 21:38
It would certainly be an upgrade but your Smith is a pretty good rifle. If your not doing any hard use type activities I'd just save the cash and upgrade your rifle. In this climate you could likely sell your Smith for plenty to cover the new one but I'd hate to be out of a rifle.

TedG
12-27-2012, 21:43
When you say "upgrade", what exactly are the factors of the upgrade? The brand name? It sounds like you're going to spend an additional $500 after selling your S&W. If you have a lot of money, go for it. I just don't see what the practical benefit is going to be.

mjkeat
12-27-2012, 21:44
The MP is a decent AR but DD is a great value and an overall better product.

Stephenthesuave
12-27-2012, 21:45
I'm sure you can pocket some cash and end up with a better rifle.

Stephenthesuave
12-27-2012, 21:48
When you say "upgrade", what exactly are the factors of the upgrade? The brand name? It sounds like you're going to spend an additional $500 after selling your S&W. If you have a lot of money, go for it. I just don't see what the practical benefit is going to be.

Are you saying that he could only get ~$800 for his rifle? The DD is going to cost a little over 1300 and is a better quality rifle than the smith, and is outfitted better.

WinterWizard
12-27-2012, 21:52
With the way things are right now, there is no guarantee you will get that DD. I would not part with one AR unless you already have the next one in hand, or you may never see one again. No joke, it's a real possibility.

LawrenceArchery
12-27-2012, 21:56
I feel like what I could get out of my rifle right now would put me not too far away from the DD. I don't see my M&P selling for less than a thousand but I could be wrong. I think the new fore end and Magpul stock would cost more than $300. I also don't have any irons on my gun so I would be getting sights with the new gun. Just wanted to see what your opinions were. I thought the DD's were suppose to be pretty high quality guns but didn't really know how they compared to the Smiths.

Delmonte67
12-27-2012, 22:00
With the way things are right now, there is no guarantee you will get that DD. I would not part with one AR unless you already have the next one in hand, or you may never see one again. No joke, it's a real possibility.

Absolutely right! Better make damn sure, before you sell the one you have- with the **** storm that may be on its way!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

LawrenceArchery
12-27-2012, 22:01
@winterwizard, yeah that's one thing to worry about. I am going back by there tommorow so I am going to see how sure he is of the shipment. I think he's pretty confident because of his contracts with the military. I don't really know enough about that to be talking about it though. I'm definitely not going to give up my gun without some kind of assurance. Maybe he will garauntee me one of his personal guns if the shipment doesn't come in Lol.

Gunnut 45/454
12-28-2012, 12:31
LawrenceArchery
Keep your S&W until he has the rifles there in his shop! Then make up your mind then! He has an order into DD doesn't mean **** with the way things are now! That order could be canceled tomorrow! And I'd bet that price changes by the time he gets them! :rofl:

Ruggles
12-28-2012, 12:53

True enough. What if prices continue to climb and this guy can get $3000 for that DD AR15 in mid Jan? Is he going to honor his "hold" on your for $1300 or sell that for $3000?

I would stay pat on what you have now. The S&W is a fine AR, the DD might be "better" but the S&W will serve you just fine. Might be like selling a Ford to buy a BMW only to miss out on the BMW and not have a car at all.

I have sold 2 1/2 ARs this week but have 3 more I plan to keep. Two in 5.56 and one in 6.8SPC. I will be hanging onto those as they might not be replaceable in the future:dunno:

LawrenceArchery
12-28-2012, 19:12
Thanks, I hear what you're saying. I think why I was really wanting to trade was to get the upgraded accessories. I guess I could always change out my rail and other stuff later I was just thinking I might get do it for almost free right now plus get the better gun too. I do feel like he would honor his word though about the pricing. For one he is making everyone pay up front so I don't see him charging people extra after they pay and also he is not really price gouging on the stuff he does have right now. I went by his shop today but he was closed when I got there. I might try to stop in tommorow and talk to him about it but I agree about waiting until he gets the shipment. Nothing to worry about that way.

gjk5
12-28-2012, 21:03
I bought a DD V7 today for $1161 and ditched my Stag Model2 for $1300.

Now is the time to do this. One of two things is going to happen:

Ban, and no new AR for you.

No ban, and glut of AR's and mags hits the market and the price bottoms bad.

This is assuming your dealer will guarantee the sale.

LawrenceArchery
12-28-2012, 21:29
Congrats on the new gun! Glad you were able to strike while the iron is hot.

arushus
12-28-2012, 23:36
DD is a higher tier rifle than the S&W. Completely mil-spec or better. If it was me, and the DD was a sure thing, I would make that deal in half a heartbeat!!!

SCSU74
12-29-2012, 21:49
I feel like what I could get out of my rifle right now would put me not too far away from the DD. I don't see my M&P selling for less than a thousand but I could be wrong. I think the new fore end and Magpul stock would cost more than $300. I also don't have any irons on my gun so I would be getting sights with the new gun. Just wanted to see what your opinions were. I thought the DD's were suppose to be pretty high quality guns but didn't really know how they compared to the Smiths.

Depends what you use it for? If you just shoot paper there really isn't any reason to buy the DD. the $300 I mentioned was what I spent on my rail and stock. 13" vtac alpha was $140. Ti-7 stock was $80. Gas block was $40. DD front sight was $40.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)