CCW Insurance? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCW Insurance?

igolfat8
12-27-2012, 21:38
How many of you have a separate insurance policy to cover your defense fees should you be involved in an shooting? There are a few companies that I have seen but I have no first hand knowledge of them. The NRA offers a rider but seems pricey. My home owners policy doesn't offer any umbrella policy so I am considering purchasing some insurance. What say you?

TMNKWD
12-28-2012, 07:35
You should really have your exposures evaluated by a knowledgeable insurance broker or agent. An umbrella policy is an excess liability policy that provides additional protection for civil liability by providing defense costs and indemnification to the injured party over and above what you might have with homeowners or your auto coverage. They are pretty affordable and you can often get 1 million in umbrella coverage for a couple hundred bucks a year. If your current insurance carrier does not offer umbrella coverage, you should switch.

Be aware, homeowners and excess liability is for defense and indemnification for acts in which you are liable for in a civil matter – not criminal. You’d still need to pay to defend yourself in a criminal matter, although there is some limited coverage available out there.

I’d start by sitting downwith your insurance guy and see what he thinks.

VC-Racing
12-28-2012, 07:55
If its deemed a good shoot in my state. There is no civil liability per SC Law.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Ay Dios Mio
12-28-2012, 11:56
Check out:

http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/

redbaron007
12-28-2012, 12:20
You should really have your exposures evaluated by a knowledgeable insurance broker or agent. An umbrella policy is an excess liability policy that provides additional protection for civil liability by providing defense costs and indemnification to the injured party over and above what you might have with homeowners or your auto coverage. They are pretty affordable and you can often get 1 million in umbrella coverage for a couple hundred bucks a year. If your current insurance carrier does not offer umbrella coverage, you should switch.

Be aware, homeowners and excess liability is for defense and indemnification for acts in which you are liable for in a civil matter – not criminal. You’d still need to pay to defend yourself in a criminal matter, although there is some limited coverage available out there.

I’d start by sitting downwith your insurance guy and see what he thinks.

Great answer!! :thumbsup:

As for the criminal reimbursement coverage.....find someone who has used it...talk to them personally. I have my suspicions regarding this coverage. It's generally not your insurance policy; you are considered a beneficiary of a master policy. Some are what they call co-ops too. Just be cautious.

:wavey:

red

SCmasterblaster
12-29-2012, 18:02
If my shooting incident is totally legal, I have little to worry about here in VT/NH.

Gunnut 45/454
12-30-2012, 11:27
Yep as soon as the perp/families atterny finds out you have insurance they will for sure go after you! I don't have any civil liabilty in a good shoot! Why pay thousands for coverage you most likely never need! Now if your state doesn't protect you for a good shoot- think NY, or any other the other Liberal havens yea get it cause you are garenteed to be sued if not jailed anyway!:rofl:

Gunnut 45/454
12-30-2012, 11:29
Yep as soon as the perp/families attorney finds out you have insurance they will for sure go after you! I don't have any civil liabilty in a good shoot! Why pay thousands for coverage you most likely never need! Now if your state doesn't protect you for a good shoot- think NY, or any other the other Liberal havens yea get it cause you are garenteed to be sued if not jailed anyway!:rofl:

SCmasterblaster
12-30-2012, 12:42
How many of you have a separate insurance policy to cover your defense fees should you be involved in an shooting? There are a few companies that I have seen but I have no first hand knowledge of them. The NRA offers a rider but seems pricey. My home owners policy doesn't offer any umbrella policy so I am considering purchasing some insurance. What say you?

Well I have very little to lose, so I am not too concerned about being sued for a very justified shooting.

kb18no1
12-30-2012, 17:11
I HIGHLY doubt any insurance company would cover ccw and defensive shootings. Too risky and too much liability. I wouldn't assume an Umbrella Policy would help either. You would need a very compete insurance person to read the policy and understand all the exclusions. Unfortunately, most agents have no clue how to read a policy. My wife was a commercial claims adjuster for years and it is amazing how clueless most agents are about insurance and coverages.

1canvas
12-30-2012, 17:18
I did a lot of research and Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network, Inc. seemed to be the best for me. they will also help in non gun self defense or in defense of drawing your gun.

SoonerDad
12-30-2012, 20:36
As soon as I get my handgun permit I'm going to sign my wife and I up with CCW Safe. I've worked with attorney that owns it, and it seems like a very sound plan.

Not insurance, they just handle all your entire defense. Criminal or civil. Even investigation, expert witnesses... They cover it all.

Since it's not insurance there's no incentive for the perp or perp's family to sue you on that basis alone.

Take a look...

www.ccwsafe.com (http://www.ccwsafe.com)

Disclosure: I have no relationship with this company and no financial interest. It was just the right choice for me.

-Eric

4Rules
12-30-2012, 22:05
Check out:

"...In general, the big difference between any insurance and the Network’s membership post-incident protections is that the Network vigorously participates in the member’s civil or criminal defense by providing financial assistance with attorney fees and providing additional legal defense resources DURING the post-incident, pre-trial and trial phases, should it go that far."
http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/our-journal/278-december-2012?start=14 (http://www.armedcitizensnetwork.org/our-journal/278-december-2012?start=14)

redbaron007
12-31-2012, 07:21
Well I have very little to lose, so I am not too concerned about being sued for a very justified shooting.

Depending on the state and circumstances, you may still have to hire an attorney to have it dismissed.

FYI, in a worse case scenario, they can place a judgement on future earning etc, too.

red

Triple7
12-31-2012, 07:23
I use Texas Law Shield. Pay a Monthly charge of $10 and everything's taken care of.

AZson
12-31-2012, 11:18
This is another reason I love AZ, we just passed a law that you cannot be sued.

redbaron007
12-31-2012, 11:49

Just FYI...you can be sued for anything. The lawsuit may be thrown out based on law, but you may still have to hire an attorney to get it thrown out.

red

Sgt.K
12-31-2012, 15:39
Check out:

This! I'm a member and I recommend that you should check it out and decide for yourself.

igolfat8
12-31-2012, 19:30
This! I'm a member and I recommend that you should check it out and decide for yourself.

It seems like the benefits paid to your attorney are quite limited:

"If a member is involved in a self-defense incident, a fee deposit is paid to the member's attorney by the Network to get the legal defense immediately underway, with representation during questioning, and an independent investigation of the incident. If the incident results in felony charges the fee deposit is $10,000; if the member faces misdemeanor charges, a $5,000 fee deposit is sent to his or her attorney."

"distribution of monetary grants to help with legal fees is at the discretion of the Network’s Advisory Board"

Does anyone belong to USCCA (https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/)or know anything about them?

tnstaafl
01-01-2013, 08:23
I use Texas Law Shield. Pay a Monthly charge of $10 and everything's taken care of. - I use these guys, too, but not everything is taken care of - they don't cover bail charges or expert witness fees - sill, IMHO, it's a solid deal.

SCmasterblaster
01-01-2013, 09:16
Depending on the state and circumstances, you may still have to hire an attorney to have it dismissed.

FYI, in a worse case scenario, they can place a judgement on future earning etc, too.

red

I have an attorney's phone number ready.

redbaron007
01-01-2013, 11:43
I have an attorney's phone number ready.

Perfect! :thumbsup:

red

SCmasterblaster
01-01-2013, 15:35

I have a few friends who are moving to AZ, and it sounds like a good idea.