MN man charged after 4-year-old son accidentally shoots 2-year-old brother [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : MN man charged after 4-year-old son accidentally shoots 2-year-old brother

TBO
12-28-2012, 02:40
MN man charged after 4-year-old son accidentally shoots 2-year-old brother

http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/184964691.html?refer=y

:sadangel:

xmanhockey7
12-28-2012, 02:54
Just so sad to see. The guy said he thought the guns were well hidden. Just goes to show you unless the gun is on your person it should be locked up. It also shows the importance of teaching children firearm safety.

NEOH212
12-28-2012, 04:09
Just so sad to see. The guy said he thought the guns were well hidden. Just goes to show you unless the gun is on your person it should be locked up. It also shows the importance of teaching children firearm safety.

Agreed.

Sad all the way around.

So much for being responsible. :faint:

Tiro Fijo
12-28-2012, 04:17
Tragic.

Sad also in that this is manna for the anti-gunners who just feed on this stuff.

Doubletaps'Rus
12-28-2012, 07:52
I responded to a similar call 20 years ago as a deputy. It was heartbreaking and strictly due to negligence.

gommer
12-28-2012, 08:45
Tragic.

Sad also in that this is manna for the anti-gunners who just feed on this stuff.

Unfortunately, it's a tragic accident -- and is completely PREVENTABLE. Because of that, the mainstream agenda pushers will ignore it for exactly that reason. You can't instill fear from something that is so easily remedied. You instill fear by publishing and pushing stories where no matter what you do, you can't stop it.

I wish, as a very pro-gun, pro second amendment individual -- that they would publish stories like this in the mainstream. Maybe, just MAYBE - it would actually HELP EDUCATE people that these things really do happen. Lock your #$% guns up! If not because you have kids do it because it would suck to come home from work and get shot with your own gun.

glock_collector
12-28-2012, 09:47
He had past "issues" and I have not a smidge of sympathy for him. I do wish the kids didnt have to pay the price of daddy being a bonehead.

jph02
12-28-2012, 09:59
The irresponsibility with which Kao Chongsua Xiong handled and stored his guns and ample ammunition in a houseful of children justified second-degree manslaughter and child endangerment charges, authorities said.Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Xiong was clearly criminally negligent imho.

RussP
12-28-2012, 12:00
This ties into my thread, How secure are your firearms? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1458644).

No matter how many times these 'accidents' are reported by the media, parents still believe, "Yeah, those poor people in ___________. Won't happen to us. Our kids are smarter, educated about guns, and know better."

"BANG!"

Now their kids are statistics. They are those "poor people in _____."

bear62
12-28-2012, 12:04
Sad, tragic story....:crying:......

but the bottom line fault lies with the Father........ He shoud be held accountable.

cowboywannabe
12-28-2012, 12:14
He should be prosecuted for his negligence.

Stvan1
12-28-2012, 12:36
Senseless, tragic and preventable.

bear62
12-28-2012, 12:41
Senseless, tragic and preventable.

This .......

Gunnut 45/454
12-28-2012, 12:44
Bad parenting for sure ! How can you not know what 4, 2 year old children are doing all the times! At 4, 2 I wouldn't let them out of my sight! So would he have been charged if the kid had fallen out a two story window or down the stairs and died or drowned in the tub? I think not! Just cause it was a gun that killed him.:faint:

MAC702
12-28-2012, 12:56
Another tragedy that would probably have not happened if basic firearms safety was taught in public schools.

janice6
12-28-2012, 13:03
Your gun, your responsibility.

Also NEVER underestimate the intelligence of a curious child. This was also negligence. They are capable of solving complicated problems when they want to.

TBO
12-28-2012, 13:13
Another tragedy that would probably have not happened if basic firearms safety was taught in public schools.2 yr old and 4 yr old.

MAC702
12-28-2012, 14:57
2 yr old and 4 yr old.

I was assuming the father had been to public school...

Ryobi
12-28-2012, 15:43
I guess he showed the gubmint how to stay out of a mans storage bidness. On a different note- anyone with a clue knows that hidden isn't good enough when it comes to unattended weapons. Hidden in the house or hidden in a car fails where cheap locking storage provides peace of mind and quick access. MN man charged after 4-year-old son accidentally shoots 2-year-old brother

http://www.startribune.com/local/minneapolis/184964691.html?refer=y

:sadangel:

Patchman
12-28-2012, 20:46
Tragic, that's for sure.

Patchman
12-28-2012, 20:55
I was assuming the father had been to public school...

I don't see why public school should be burdened with having to teach kids everything about life, including safe firearms handling.

When it comes to safe gun handling, safe driving habits (choosing to drive sober, etc...) or other important life lessons, it should be parental responsibility, or individual responsibility.

The father's father/guardian should have taught him gun safety. And if the father/guardian didn't, then when he bought his first gun, he should have been responsible enough to seek out that knowledge.

MAC702
12-28-2012, 23:37
I don't see why public school should be burdened with having to teach kids everything about life, including safe firearms handling.

When it comes to safe gun handling, safe driving habits (choosing to drive sober, etc...) or other important life lessons, it should be parental responsibility, or individual responsibility.

The father's father/guardian should have taught him gun safety. And if the father/guardian didn't, then when he bought his first gun, he should have been responsible enough to seek out that knowledge.

One can argue that writing, reading, and history should be a parent's responsibility, too. By paying taxes to the school, it really is.

Basic firearms safety belongs in public school as much as basic first aid, safety around electricity, poisons, and fire drills.

Kids are FAR more likely to find a gun at some point in their childhood than they are to experience catching on fire.

Yet every kid in America knows: "stop, drop, and roll."
Why can't they learn: "stop, don't touch, tell a responsible adult"?

TBO
12-28-2012, 23:39
I've been involved in teaching that in my area schools for over 20 years.

Patchman
12-29-2012, 06:00
Basic firearms safety belongs in public school as much as basic first aid, safety around electricity, poisons, and fire drills.

Kids are FAR more likely to find a gun at some point in their childhood than they are to experience catching on fire.

Yet every kid in America knows: "stop, drop, and roll."

I read somewhere that about 125,000 kids are severely burned each year. And 10 to 15 percent of those did catch on fire (of course not the full body, Hollywood adventure style on fire).

If "stop, don't touch, tell a responsible adult" is step 1 of what kids should learn about firearms safety, then I'm fine with public schools teaching that. (Of course, what this is really teaching kids is "GUNS ARE BAD and DANGEROUS." Drum that message into their young minds often enough and guess what...)

Gun safety should include much more than "stop, don't touch." Step 2 should involve actually handling, maintaining, shooting (under supervision and independently) of guns, and respecting the damage guns can do. That's how one becomes that "responsible adult" kids should go tell.

Burden public schools (as a general curriculum) to teach step 2 of gun safety rules and practices? No thanks. Rely on public schools (as a general curriculum) to teach them properly and correctly? No thanks.

RussP
12-29-2012, 06:50
What resources do non-firearm-owning parents have for teaching safety and responsibility without the fear mongering?

Stvan1
12-29-2012, 09:42
They must be learning about firearms from two on up. Even if the parents don't have a gun they may find one at grandpas, an uncles house,a friends house just about anywhere you don't expect them to. When they are quiet they are probably getting into mischief. Parents are responsible at the very least to get them familiar with firearms!

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

SCmasterblaster
12-29-2012, 09:45
I hope that the fool gets at least ten years in prison.

Stvan1
12-29-2012, 09:50
[QUOTE=RussP;19792581]What resources do non-firearm-owning parents have for teaching safety and responsibility without the fear mongering?[/QUOTe
Check out the local gun store, NRA chapter, gun range, friends, church, school, relatives, neighbor, probably some sources I haven't mentioned.
Also contact local law enforcement. The idea is to teach PARENTS without gun experience and/or knowledge how to teach their children to be safe around firearms and how to keep them out of their reach as much as possible.
The gun owning community should welcome this opportunity to get involved and save a life and create a few more responsible gun owners.

SCmasterblaster
12-29-2012, 09:56
[QUOTE=RussP;19792581]What resources do non-firearm-owning parents have for teaching safety and responsibility without the fear mongering?[/QUOTe
Check out the local gun store, NRA chapter, gun range, friends, church, school, relatives, neighbor, probably some sources I haven't mentioned. The gun owning community should welcome this opportunity to get involved and save a life and create a few more responsible gun owners

I am sure that this foolish father thought that he wasn't doing anything wrong.

steveksux
12-29-2012, 10:34
What resources do non-firearm-owning parents have for teaching safety and responsibility without the fear mongering?Not sure, maybe check with the people that train blind seeing eye dogs... :whistling:

http://prospect.rsc.org/blogs/cw/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/dog-sunglasses2-3001.jpg

Randy

Keoking
12-29-2012, 10:40
If this happened to me, I would have to fall on my sword before the wife got to me. She's already made it clear that she will shoot me dead.
About the only things in my house my 2.5yo can't access are my gun safes. He can open every door and cabinet, and will stack stuff up to get at what he can't reach.
Only a fool would leave an unsecured firearm in a house with a child in it.

Patchman
12-29-2012, 10:48
What resources do non-firearm-owning parents have for teaching safety and responsibility without the fear mongering?

Parents who don't own firearms (and who have no practical knowledge/experience of gun safety because they've never owned guns)?

Why would parents like that ever imagine they need to teach their kids firearms safety (ie NRA rules of safety, etc...)? The parents would simply have the attitude that they'd never allow their kids to be involved with guns. They'd be more than happy with the school curriculum that teaches their kids to simply "Stop. Don't Touch. Tell a Responsible Adult."

Now, if the parents decided to get into owning guns, or they approve of their kids involved with guns, they'd have to seek out resources. Which there are plenty of.

rvrctyrngr
12-30-2012, 00:34
You'd think this person would have learned his lesson. He was already on probation for negligent storage of a firearm after his 9yr old shot the 2yr old in August!

Patchman
12-30-2012, 01:35
You'd think this person would have learned his lesson. He was already on probation for negligent storage of a firearm after his 9yr old shot the 2yr old in August!

WHAT? Are you saying that this same family, first the 9 y.o. shoots the 2 y.o., then the 4 y.o. shoots the same 2 y.o.?

Boy, that's news to me!

steveksux
12-30-2012, 08:09
You'd think this person would have learned his lesson. He was already on probation for negligent storage of a firearm after his 9yr old shot the 2yr old in August!WHAT? Are you saying that this same family, first the 9 y.o. shoots the 2 y.o., then the 4 y.o. shoots the same 2 y.o.?

Boy, that's news to me!That's cause it's not quite true...

. The charges came less than two weeks after Lue Xiong of St. Paul was sentenced to two years' probation after his 2-year-old son suffered a gunshot wound as his 9-year-old brother played with his father's gun last August.

From later in the linked article, but the article was about Kao Chongsua Xiong from Minneapolis, not Lue from St. Paul.

Although its a good point if they're related and he must have known about the earlier shooting that he shouldn't be using Lue as a model for his gun safety plan.

Randy

Patchman
12-30-2012, 10:03
^^^ Thanks for clearing this up. I was starting to think it was a bad case of sibling rivalry. You know, where the older kids will pick on the youngest one?

Either that or the "terrible twos" was just too much to put up with anymore...

rvrctyrngr
12-30-2012, 12:05
Thanks, Randy. Misread a little bit. Apologies for any confusion.

That's cause it's not quite true...

From later in the linked article, but the article was about Kao Chongsua Xiong from Minneapolis, not Lue from St. Paul.

Although its a good point if they're related and he must have known about the earlier shooting that he shouldn't be using Lue as a model for his gun safety plan.

Randy

SCmasterblaster
12-30-2012, 13:57
This was totally avoidable. Why cannot adults keep loaded firearms away from kids?

steveksux
12-30-2012, 14:00
Thanks, Randy. Misread a little bit. Apologies for any confusion.Easily done, Xiong is such a common name... :tongueout::supergrin:

I actually thought you were right the first time through the article, then went back and checked the first names when I noticed it wasn't the same guy.

Randy

janice6
12-30-2012, 14:10
Proper gun training taught in school:

1 Guns are very bad

2 Never touch a gun, it will kill you

3 Always run away from a gun and get an adult to take it away

4 Never keep a secret about a gun. Always tell someone or tell a police man if
someone you know has a gun.

5 Guns must be banned and taken away from everybody. they are only made to kill and killing is bad.

6 Tell someone if your parents have a gun or you have seen one in the house, or if you know one is somewhere in the house. It must be taken away.

This is the way our children will be trained on guns by the school. Goodbye 2A and self protection.

In the Cold War this was called "Brain Washing".

janice6
12-30-2012, 14:16
This was totally avoidable. Why cannot adults keep loaded firearms away from kids?

I have had guns for over 65 years.

I raised 4 children.

My household has never had a discharge of a firearm that was not intended by the shooter.

No one has ever been injured by a gun in my whole extended family.

Protecting children is not difficult, you have to want to protect them, then you will.

I do not believe in a gun accident. There are no gun accidents, only criminal negligence

SCmasterblaster
12-30-2012, 14:50
I have had guns for over 65 years.

I raised 4 children.

My household has never had a discharge of a firearm that was not intended by the shooter.

No one has ever been injured by a gun in my whole extended family.

Protecting children is not difficult, you have to want to protect them, then you will.

I do not believe in a gun accident. There are no gun accidents, only criminal negligence

Criminal negligence for all gun accidents? Is it not possible to have an AD innocently?