Any recent law changes (or info I should know about) for CO, KS & MO? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any recent law changes (or info I should know about) for CO, KS & MO?

tnedator
12-29-2012, 12:11
HI, in the near future I will be traveling to the Denver area and traveling through MO and KS. I'm curious if there are any recent law changes (or court decisions) that I should be aware of for any of those states?

I'm relatively familiar with the CO law at this point (signs have no force of law and local jurisdictions can't trump state law being two of the biggest).

With those two aspects of the statute in mind, am I correct in thinking that even if a theater, like the site of the Aurora massacre, has a no-gun sign, it is perfectly legal to carry concealed and ignore the sign?

Thanks

jhon
12-30-2012, 10:08
Might check www.handgunlaw.us

they usually are up to date on all the states CC laws.

There last update posted was 12/24/12

SCmasterblaster
12-30-2012, 15:21

True, that is a great site.

tnedator
12-31-2012, 00:10

I have. I always check there before travelling, but also thought asking for some local knowledge would be smart.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

DustyJacket
12-31-2012, 02:17
In missouri, the signs don't make it illegal.

If discovered they have to ask you to leave. If you do not, they call the police and you get a civil ticket (not criminal). The first time.

Goverment buildings, post offices are a different matter.

viper144
12-31-2012, 08:46
DustyJacket
Any restrictions at the Missouri State Fair? May be attending this coming year or next.

nikerret
12-31-2012, 12:41
I'm relatively familiar with the CO law at this point (signs have no force of law and local jurisdictions can't trump state law being two of the biggest).

With those two aspects of the statute in mind, am I correct in thinking that even if a theater, like the site of the Aurora massacre, has a no-gun sign, it is perfectly legal to carry concealed and ignore the sign?

Thanks

KS:

The signs only apply to permit holders, but non-permit holders could end up with a trespass charge (also a misdemeanor). Places must be posted.

In vehicle, permit means you can carry concealed. Do not have to notify LEO, I recommend you do.

Cities can make laws more strict than State law, but many are easing up on them. Most of the differences were in addition to open carry, some with regard to in-car carry. You'll have to check individual Cities you are going to stay in.

If you're jsut passing through KS, the first two paragraphs shoudl cover it; if you're stopping, where?

DustyJacket
12-31-2012, 16:35
DustyJacket
Any restrictions at the Missouri State Fair? May be attending this coming year or next.
Not sure. It depends if the count the state fair as:
Any gated area of an amusement park.

Carrying of a concealed firearm in a location specified in subdivisions (1) to (17) of subsection 1 of this section by any individual who holds a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall not be a criminal act but may subject the person to denial to the premises or removal from the premises. If such person refuses to leave the premises and a peace officer is summoned, such person may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed one hundred dollars for the first offense.

tnedator
12-31-2012, 17:02
KS:

The signs only apply to permit holders, but non-permit holders could end up with a trespass charge (also a misdemeanor). Places must be posted.

In vehicle, permit means you can carry concealed. Do not have to notify LEO, I recommend you do.

Cities can make laws more strict than State law, but many are easing up on them. Most of the differences were in addition to open carry, some with regard to in-car carry. You'll have to check individual Cities you are going to stay in.

If you're jsut passing through KS, the first two paragraphs shoudl cover it; if you're stopping, where?

Assuming I don't have to stop due to bad weather, the only town I "might" stop in is Salina. If I get a late start hitting the road, I might spend the night in Salina and finish the trip the next day.

CA Escapee
01-01-2013, 11:35
HI, in the near future I will be traveling to the Denver area and traveling through MO and KS. I'm curious if there are any recent law changes (or court decisions) that I should be aware of for any of those states?

Thanks

The Boulder County deputy that taught the segment on Colorado laws in the NRA Personal Protection In The Home class I took said that a "no guns" sign at a business does have teeth.

He said if you are carrying inside a business that is posted all they can do is ask you to leave. If you don't you can be arrested for tresspassing. There is no issue with you carrying a firearm.

It might be more likely that the police will "just show up" without anyone asking you to leave. For instance an employee/customer who isn't aware of CO laws calls 911 and reports a (wo)man with a gun. (still not against the law) The deputy said in that instance state to the police you didn't see a sign, no one asked you to leave, apologize, and tell them you want to leave. That way it shows you have no intention of tresspassing.

That being said, the deputy also stated that when they do get a 911 call in Boulder county about a (wo)man with a gun dispatchers are trained to ask the caller key questions. (Is it concealed, is it in the open, are they brandishing it, is there a robbery taking place, etc.) If not the dispatcher will give the caller the Reader's Digest version about the legality of open carry and concealed carry. The county doesn't want to waste their resources by sending a deputy out for every nervous Nelly that sees or thinks they see a gun.

Bill

SCmasterblaster
01-01-2013, 12:00
In missouri, the signs don't make it illegal.

If discovered they have to ask you to leave. If you do not, they call the police and you get a civil ticket (not criminal). The first time.

Goverment buildings, post offices are a different matter.

I'd leave for sure. I don't even want a civil ticket on my CCW record.