Christmas, Family, the flu, and get togethers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Christmas, Family, the flu, and get togethers

12-29-2012, 12:19
This has been bugging me for the past week and I don't know why.

Let me give a little background info. I live at home to help my elderly folks out. My dad has cancer, just came off of chemo and is bottoming out on his cell counts. Needless to say, he's frail, tires easliy and getting sick would not be a good thing. My mom has been having problems with her BP meds and wasn't feeling all that great. Her getting sick is bad news as she's kept my dad great shape, (retired nurse) considering.

On Christmas eve, we've always have had a get together with just the immediate family. That's my folks, my sister, my BIL, and her kids. Well this Christmas eve the two youngest ones got sick w/the flu and were running a fever. My sister called and said they weren't coming over. That was cool.

My sister has a Christmas Day get together at her house. It used to be great in that it was also the immediate family, but as the years came by it got bigger and bigger with more and more people - non family people - her friends.

Despite, her kids being sick and canceling, she still had the party! At about 130pm she called the house asking when I was going to bring mom and dad! I said that they probably aren't going as my dad was taking a nap and mom was looking like she was going to take a snooze, too. She replied that the party was the only time they'd get to see them... WTF! I simply said that I didn't think they wanted to go and left it at that.

About five minutes later, she called my mom's cell to ask if she and dad were going. My mom bluntly told her they weren't going. And that was that.

On thursday, my sister called my mom to tell her all of what they missed and who was there. Then she said that they were bringing the kids over on friday to open the gifts at our house to make up for not shwoing up in Xmas eve. It's all good!

On friday, my mom calls to find out when they are coming and my older nephew answers and says that his brother is STILL sick and running a fever! He then tells her that instead of being kept in thier room during the party, they were out and about mingling with others! Needless to say, my mom told them not to come by.

I'm a little pissed off that she'd expose all those people to something that's probably the flu. She could've postponed/canceled the party and I think everybody would've understood. But no, the party must go on!

Gregoire G
12-29-2012, 14:51
You have to be careful this time of year. We visited my 87 yo mother over Christmas and there is no way we would have gone if we were sick/running a fever. I don't even like to go to movies or gun shows this time of year what with flu and cold germs being passed around in crowds like that.

Bruce M
12-29-2012, 15:44
I agree that exposing them to flu would not be a good idea if it could be avoided.

Hamguy
12-29-2012, 15:55
I think you underestimate how bad it would be of your dad got the flu after coming off chemo. It could kill him. I would not have sick people in my house if I were you.

jdavionic
12-29-2012, 16:11
I find Christmas and Thanksgiving to be the most annoying holidays. Not because of the historical meaning behind each. Families make them annoying. I swear my last name ought to be Griswold!

We have people that come every year with kids that are ill. That's just the tip of the iceberg. They could care a less whether they are about to make the elderly sick. It's all about their own selfish needs.

I had one that came and the kid stood in front of the dispenser for who knows how long....on and off repeatedly. It broke...and of course, they didn't offer to pay. One who brought their dog...with fleas! One family that stayed with us who flooded the upstairs bathroom to the point where water was dripping out the light fixture in the kitchen below. Seems the Mom took the shower curtain out of the tub to take a bath...then each of the 4 other members of their family took showers with the curtain on the outside of the tub...none noticed or cared about the massive amount of water on the floor. One who got angry because no one wanted to babysit her kids while she went out (kids were terribly behaved)...she stormed out with her kids and went home (what a shame). One who peeled potato after potato and kept shoving the peels down the drain. When she finally turned on the garbage disposal, it torqued so hard that it broke.

I could go on & on.

Calico Jack
12-29-2012, 16:38
I find Christmas and Thanksgiving to be the most annoying holidays. Not because of the historical meaning behind each. Families make them annoying. I swear my last name ought to be Griswold!

We have people that come every year with kids that are ill. That's just the tip of the iceberg. They could care a less whether they are about to make the elderly sick. It's all about their own selfish needs.

I had one that came and the kid stood in front of the dispenser for who knows how long....on and off repeatedly. It broke...and of course, they didn't offer to pay. One who brought their dog...with fleas! One family that stayed with us who flooded the upstairs bathroom to the point where water was dripping out the light fixture in the kitchen below. Seems the Mom took the shower curtain out of the tub to take a bath...then each of the 4 other members of their family took showers with the curtain on the outside of the tub...none noticed or cared about the massive amount of water on the floor. One who got angry because no one wanted to babysit her kids while she went out (kids were terribly behaved)...she stormed out with her kids and went home (what a shame). One who peeled potato after potato and kept shoving the peels down the drain. When she finally turned on the garbage disposal, it torqued so hard that it broke.

I could go on & on.

Dude?!?! That sounds like the worst holiday season EVER!

jdavionic
12-29-2012, 16:45
Dude?!?! That sounds like the worst holiday season EVER!

If only it all happened in one season. In reality, it's been the death by numerous holiday seasons and spanned several. But you can see how one might not look forward to the next one:supergrin:

NEOH212
12-29-2012, 16:46
I can understand if someone absolutely has to go out when their sick say because they don't have anyone to go get their prescription filled for them or whatever.

What really burns my arse is when there is no reason the little sicky has to be out but they're standing next to you in the store coughing and hacking all over everything and everyone.

Or the ones that are sick and can't talk to you from a distance. They have to be right up in your face with spit flying to tell you a story that you couldn't even give two squirts about in the first place.

If your sick, stay home unless it's a emergency!

:steamed:

NEOH212
12-29-2012, 16:48
Not to mention, it's pretty ignorant and selfish that the OP's sister would even allow her sick kids around anyone in the first place let alone her parents that she knew had compromised immune systems. :steamed:

:shakehead: