Irony, or payback is good. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Irony, or payback is good.

Batesmotel
12-29-2012, 12:40
An acquaintance is a mathematician and consults for several engineering firms. This week he lost one of his best contracts for "Not Being a Team Player Any More".

Basically the new engineers running the firm want booze, coke and hookers when they come to town to visit every few months. The previous generation running the show was happy with a great dinner and Utah Jazz tickets once a year. The new guys really tore into him about the "New" way things were going to be done. He quit, they said he was fired. Very ugly meeting all round.

Last night he gets a call from the cops to see if he could identify and vouch for his former clients. He threw them to the wolves. Told the cops they were no longer his clients because all they want is hookers and blow. Apparently a DUI stop turned up some pot as well.

Good to see the little guy get in the last punch once in a while.

M&P15T
12-29-2012, 12:43
Interesting, but it's hard to fallow what you're writting. It's difficult to tell who is whom, who works for what company/entity.

Could you clear that up a bit?

Berto
12-29-2012, 12:46
Guy kicked out of treehouse for not playing fast and loose like they wanted. So he leaves.

Treehouse gets in trouble, asks guy to vouch. He says, FOAD.

Make sense?:supergrin:

NeverMore1701
12-29-2012, 12:49
Made sense to me.

Batesmotel
12-29-2012, 12:56
Guy kicked out of treehouse for not playing fast and loose like they wanted. So he leaves.

Treehouse gets in trouble, asks guy to vouch. He says, FOAD.

Make sense?:supergrin:

This.

Private contractor is asked by the new owners of a firm he consults for to get them hookers and drugs. Old owners would never have done that.

He quits on thursday. Friday they get busted for DUI and pot in the car.

Cops ask him if he can vouch for his old employers and he throws them under the bus.

ysr_racer
12-29-2012, 13:00
They were riding on the bus ?

:)

RonS
12-29-2012, 13:03
So, if he had "vouched" for them the cops would have smoked the pot, drank the booze and sent them on their way?

Batesmotel
12-29-2012, 13:09
So, if he had "vouched" for them the cops would have smoked the pot, drank the booze and sent them on their way?

I think his former employers thought he could help them. I guess the cops called to get his side of the story. He was their only contact in Salt Lake. I don't have all the details. I know the guy from the art community. I didn't know he was a mathematician. I thought he was a machinist.

Thursday he was bummed out because he lost the contract. Today he is just happy he walked when he did. Driving a nail in their coffin was a bonus.

Harper
12-29-2012, 13:13
Friday they get busted for DUI and pot in the car.

Cops ask him if he can vouch for his old employers and he throws them under the bus.

What do you mean vouch for them? They've been arrested for DUI and marijuana so the cops for some reason call this former acquaintance to "vouch" for them? I don't understand that. Why did the cops call him specifically and for what reason? Were the cops going to just drop the charges after some guy on the phone tells them "the dudes you arrested are swell guys"? I'm totally lost.

EDIT: I see you tried to answer a similar question above.

Berto
12-29-2012, 13:35
What does vouch mean and how do you engineer art?

Green Dragoon
12-29-2012, 14:56
I'm glad your friend walked so he wan't implicated. The revenge part isn't my style though. I would have just told the cops, "yup...I know them but can't vouch for them".

Chasing the snake that bit you, makes the poison go quicker to the heart. IMHO, the guys that got busted got their daggers into your buddy again.

countrygun
12-29-2012, 15:14
Apparently, many are unfamiliar with the way things actually work. They have no experience with the "grabbing at straws" that many arrested folks try. They are also unaware that prosecutors have a bit of discretion and often "background" the accused to get an idea of how they should proceed with a prosecution.

Good for the OP's friend. I have a hunch that the worst thing he can be accused of is "telling the truth".

Batesmotel
12-29-2012, 15:18
What does vouch mean and how do you engineer art?

Vouch. Verify their story or testify that they are good guys.

I know a lot of people from the art community that have totally different lives outside of their art.

This guy is a mathematician, hobby machinist and a sculptor.
I am a realtor and a photographer.
A great friend is a heavy equipment mechanic and one of the worlds best abstract photographers. He was the first outsider to hold an art show in Russia after the USSR fell.

Sometimes it is odd when I find out what these guys do as their straight jobs. Art is our escape from the regular world.

Gunny Lingus
12-29-2012, 15:42
Years ago, I had 2 sheriff deputies banging on my door at 3am. I opened up, they had the guy who used to live above me. He was drunk, but had pulled over and fallen alseep in his car. When they checked him, he told them he lived right over there, and pointed to our building. So they came to me to check his story.

I said "yes officers, I know him, he used to live upstairs and was a good neighbor". One looked at him and said "so, he lied to us. He told us he still lived here", and he hadn't changed his address on his drivers license. I recovered told them he was highly educated and decent guy, and this could ruin him. They said something else, and I told them I would take him home etc.... they reiterated that I agreed that I wouldn't let him drive any more that night..... and one deputy handed me his keys and told me his car was on the side of the road at the light. I brought him in, and they left. I got dressed to take him home and stopped at his car to move it to a bank parking lot. The officers were sitting across the corner watching the whole time. It was a close call for him, but he kept swearing he would never drink and drive again, and I saved his ass and career.....

The funny thing is, as he came to his senses, he started lying saying that they pulled him over for doing 95mph down that street (tough guy, trying to save macho face), and he hadn't been on the side of the road asleep. I didn't remind him that when I got in his car to move it, the seat back was laid down, so their story was the truth.

I guess from time to time cops try to give people a break. A few positive words from the mathematician may have made a difference between getting busted, and just being shook up and scared.

concretefuzzynuts
12-29-2012, 16:11
Good for him. Business is business. If he has standards, he should live by them.

Maybe he has a chance of acquiring the contract back because he kept to his business standards.

Rick C
12-29-2012, 16:19
Mathematicians tend to theorize.

dango
12-29-2012, 16:24
Business related , "SEE NO EVIL , HEAR NO EVIL ! Repercussions may follow. Victim-less crime < basis of my personal morality . I may not participate but ,see nothing ,hear nothing ! OMHO

Dennis in MA
12-29-2012, 17:16
Interesting, but it's hard to fallow what you're writting. It's difficult to tell who is whom, who works for what company/entity.

Could you clear that up a bit?

I thought his eloquence was quite ferddle.

(Autocorrect nabs us all. Lol)

cgwahl
12-29-2012, 17:27
Dumbasses...if you want to have coke and whore parties and not worry about getting caught, you need to work for the Fed.

NorthernAlpine
12-29-2012, 17:28
Score one for the good guys. Revenge is a dish best served cold and all that jazz. They fired him, for crappy reasons, and their too-kool-for-school attitudes got them cuffed up.

If they had parted on reasonable terms, his reply might have reflected something reasonable.

If you spit in the devil's eye, you're now officially in a 'movement to contact'.

NorthernAlpine
12-29-2012, 17:29
Dumbasses...if you want to have coke and whore parties and not worry about getting caught, you need to work for the Fed.

:wow::rofl:

DaneA
12-29-2012, 17:48
This story can't be true. Mathematicians don't work outside of academia.

The Fed
12-29-2012, 17:56
If you were to in actually defame someone like that you risk being sued.

meleors
12-30-2012, 01:59
Mathematicians tend to theorize.
Doesn't add up. :whistling:

fnfalman
12-30-2012, 04:14
What do you mean vouch for them? They've been arrested for DUI and marijuana so the cops for some reason call this former acquaintance to "vouch" for them? I don't understand that. Why did the cops call him specifically and for what reason? Were the cops going to just drop the charges after some guy on the phone tells them "the dudes you arrested are swell guys"? I'm totally lost.

EDIT: I see you tried to answer a similar question above.

Methinks that somebody is telling a cool story.

Gonzoso
12-30-2012, 05:09
Sounds like the guys just got busted, doubt former employee had anything to do with it, unless he dropped a dime.

I don't see how a third part could be involved in lessening someones charges once they're caught with drugs and drinking and driving.

Phaze5ive
12-30-2012, 06:16
Meh, people spin tales. I doubt they dropped him because he refused them "hookers and blow."

mwelch8404
12-30-2012, 15:35
Doesn't add up. :whistling:

But ya gotta be careful or the problems multiply. :whistling:

RenoF250
12-30-2012, 16:01
Meh, people spin tales. I doubt they dropped him because he refused them "hookers and blow."

I hear there was plenty of that sort of business in the 80s and 90s but I thought it was mostly dead now.

countrygun
12-30-2012, 16:04
I hear there was plenty of that sort of business in the 80s and 90s but I thought it was mostly dead now.

You better send a memo about that to the Secret Service

Gallium
12-30-2012, 16:30
But ya gotta be careful or the problems multiply. :whistling:

What I take away from this conversation is that you guys are simply divisive, and have no wish to integrate with the rest of us. Not sure why differentiation is so important for you. I am going to ask the moderators to LOG your posts.

When exactly did DevilDog lose that gig? :tongueout: