Bought a new boomstick today [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bought a new boomstick today

LockHavenYellow
12-29-2012, 14:28
Went to the gun shop today just to browse. Have been in the market for a 12ga for awhile, but didn't really need one. They had this Mossberg Maverick 88 12ga 6+1 shotgun for $265 out the door. Couldn't pass it up. Came with a pistol grip as well. It'll be a good HD gun.

http://i.imgur.com/DgpEZ.jpg

Jack_Pine
12-29-2012, 15:15
Good buy IMHO.

A 590 was my very first HD purchase many years ago. Back then (for me) it was easy for the wife to understand and aim and enough firepower to get the job done.

I load it with slugs at the cabin for HD bear style.

I don't shoot it that often and have to admit, the first time I pull the kick surprises me a little. Even thought I hunted regularly with shotguns many years ago.

Can't go wrong and you didn't.

LockHavenYellow
12-29-2012, 15:23
Good buy IMHO.

A 590 was my very first HD purchase many years ago. Back then (for me) it was easy for the wife to understand and aim and enough firepower to get the job done.

I don't shoot it that often and have to admit, the first time I pull the kick surprises me a little. Even thought I hunted regularly with shotguns many years ago.

A-thank you, sir. They had a 590 on the rack, but I just don't foresee shooting this enough to justify a $500 shotgun (in my state). This will be a HD/fun/beater gun that is going to see some range time, but not a ton other than practice. I went in expecting to spend $400 OTD on an 870, but they didn't have any in stock and this was calling my name.

exmdshooter
12-29-2012, 15:57
Excellent acquisition LHY. I too bought a 590 years ago (in lieu of an 870) and have been very happy with my decision. Nothing beats a 12 gauge pump for... ummm... deterrent factor. And Mossy makes a quality scattergun.

That's a mighty big hole to stare down if someone has bad intentions. I'm just sayin' :supergrin:

LockHavenYellow
12-29-2012, 16:01
Excellent acquisition LHY. I too bought a 590 years ago (in lieu of an 870) and have been very happy with my decision. Nothing beats a 12 gauge pump for... ummm... deterrent factor. And Mossy makes a quality scattergun.

That's a mighty big hole to stare down if someone has bad intentions. I'm just sayin' :supergrin:

Thanks! The 590 was a bit too much gun for my budget, so I picked this Maverick 88 12ga up instead :cool:

Jack_Pine
12-29-2012, 16:53
You did fine with that purchase.

BTW, I was going to put pistol grip on because I thought it was cool but decided it was a bad idea for wife and others to pick up and shoot. Just me.

LockHavenYellow
12-29-2012, 16:55
You did fine with that purchase.

BTW, I was going to put pistol grip on because I thought it was cool but decided it was a bad idea for wife and others to pick up and shoot. Just me.

Thanks. I'm keeping the regular stock on it for now...pistol grip will come later.

Dennis in MA
12-29-2012, 17:11
See any primate screw-heads there?

Shop smart!

LockHavenYellow
12-29-2012, 17:12

Shop smart!

Huh? :dunno:

Jack_Pine
12-29-2012, 17:19
Huh? :dunno:

What he said...................

Dennis in MA
12-29-2012, 17:35
You say boomstick and aren't a fan?

boomstick - YouTube

Kingarthurhk
12-29-2012, 17:38
Good buy IMHO.

I like my 590, 8 shot tube and ghost ring sights. A lot of people talk garbage about Mossberg, but they have really come along in quality. I also have an 870, which is nice as well that has ghost rings.

With all the "black rifle" frenzy going on, there are probably good deals to be had on pump shotguns.

Kingarthurhk
12-29-2012, 17:38

Shop smart!

Shop S-Mart!:rofl:

Kingarthurhk
12-29-2012, 17:40

boomstick - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5iTpleCndo&sns=em)

Their probably to young to have seen it. I think I had it on video. Should have replaced it later on DVD. Haven't watched it in a long time. As corny as it is, I am sure if the kids saw me watching it, I would be up at all hours with their nightmares.

mixflip
12-29-2012, 17:42
I bought my Mav88 5 years ago for $199. Its nice to see my investment has appreciated in price a bit. My AR15 and AK have done better than gold!!!

Kingarthurhk
12-29-2012, 17:46

boomstick - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5iTpleCndo&sns=em)

I do have a boomstick that looks remarkably like that one. Double triggers, no hammers. Just plain awesome, though it is a pretty "old school" Stevens and only takes 2 3/4 shells. You can fire a 3" magnum through it, but it gums up the works. When I got it, it needed some TLC. New trigger springs, had a gunsmith fix those, cut it down to legal length, as it was a full on long barrel bird gun, and rebeaded. It was my wife's first home defense weapon.

She learned to use that before I got her trained on handguns.

camelotkid
12-29-2012, 17:46
I like my 590, 8 shot tube and ghost ring sights. A lot of people talk garbage about Mossberg, but they have really come along in quality. I also have an 870, which is nice as well that has ghost rings.

With all the "black rifle" frenzy going on, there are probably good deals to be had on pump shotguns.

The only thing I will knock mossberg on is I have never heald a pump that they have made where the forend didn't rattle like a baby rattle

Kingarthurhk
12-29-2012, 17:49
The only thing I will knock mossberg on is I have never heald a pump that they have made where the forend didn't rattle like a baby rattle

The action on mine is nice and tight. I bought it from an LGS probably close to 8 years ago, packerized, ghost ring sights, 8 shot tube, out the door at 490.00

skeeter1959
12-29-2012, 18:23

Try a Benelli Nova. Had an early model and sold it for a Mossy.

Jack_Pine
12-29-2012, 18:29

Sorry did not get the reference, just a little slow on the draw.

BTW, my 590 is a great weapon......

LockHavenYellow
12-29-2012, 18:51
LOL I get the boomstick reference now. I've called it that for years without ever seeing that flick.

LockHavenYellow
12-29-2012, 18:51

Mine's nice and tight.

camelotkid
12-30-2012, 10:55
Try a Benelli Nova. Had an early model and sold it for a Mossy.

Those Novas are uglier than sin, I'll keep my Winchester 1300 defender :wavey:

JayAK
12-30-2012, 11:07
"Good, bad... I'm the guy with the gun."

Nice shotgun. I like a 12ga pump.

skorper
12-30-2012, 11:08
Those Novas are uglier than sin, I'll keep my Winchester 1300 defender :wavey:

This, and I love my Defender.