Kindle Fire 2nd Generation [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Kindle Fire 2nd Generation

MrsKitty
12-29-2012, 14:29
Does anybody have a 2nd generation Kindle Fire?

I really dislike the new one. I'm on my 3rd KF and this time Amazon replaced it with the 2nd generation. Sure it's faster but it's nothing but a damn advertisement! Before my favorites were underneath the carousel but now that space is used to advertise whatever Amazon "thinks" I would like.

They took a niche product that was great and turned it into nothing but crap. :fist:

stolenphot0
12-29-2012, 14:32
you have to pay extra to get it ad free.

MrsKitty
12-29-2012, 14:37
you have to pay extra to get it ad free.

Really?!

MrsKitty
12-29-2012, 14:39
That's the HD, not the regular fire. This is not a single ad like describe in the articles I'm seeing, this is a string of them that are displayed just like my paid content.

686Owner
12-29-2012, 15:03
I got a regular Kindle (not a fire) for Christmas and the ads don't bother me. That's too bad about the Kindle Fire.

stolenphot0
12-29-2012, 20:47
are the ads full screen or when you are in certain apps? Some free apps are paid for by ads streaming through them.

USMCsilver
12-29-2012, 22:04
Really?!

$15 to unlock it.

:wavey:

MrsKitty
12-30-2012, 11:06
are the ads full screen or when you are in certain apps? Some free apps are paid for by ads streaming through them.

It's neither. The HD has them full screen. The KF2G has them in a second carousel running right under your books/games/apps. You can no longer put your favorites there.

They have also changed the appearance in the app store. It is a huge downgrade.

I've not found an option to opt out of the ads yet...

I am tempted to complain to them. I should not have to spend $15 (if that really is an option as I have only found it being available for the KFHD) because they replaced my nonfunctioning KF with something that is spamming me with ads every time I turn it on.

MrsKitty
12-30-2012, 11:08
$15 to unlock it.

Nope. Not an option. Only applies to the KFHD, not the KF2G.

Dragoon44
12-30-2012, 11:12
Don't have a kindle have a nook tablet. Frankly I am done with these type "tablets".

No OS upgrades because it is a heavily modified version of android and you are restricted to THEIR app store where you either have to pay for apps that are free on Google play or pay more than what the app costs on Google play.

Why bother when for the same amount or just a little more you can get a Nexus 7 and can load BOTH nook app and kindle app on one device.

MrsKitty
12-30-2012, 11:18
Don't have a kindle have a nook tablet. Frankly I am done with these type "tablets".

No OS upgrades because it is a heavily modified version of android and you are restricted to THEIR app store where you either have to pay for apps that are free on Google play or pay more than what the app costs on Google play.

Why bother when for the same amount or just a little more you can get a Nexus 7 and can load BOTH nook app and kindle app on one device.

I have an iPad 4 now with both the Kindle app and iBooks on it. I still prefer the Kindle for playing around in bed before I fall asleep in case I just conk out instead fo putting it on the nightstand. The Kindle is a much better size to read from in bed, too.

As I said, this is the third KF I've had (although Amazon says four?). Their warranty is awesome but their charging port sucks. I hoped they might have changed it on the 2ndGen but they haven't.

MrsKitty
12-30-2012, 11:24
Further reading tells me that the $15 to remove advertising from the KFHD only applies to the full screen ads. The suggestions are still on the home screen.

harlenm
12-30-2012, 11:26
This is why I bought a nexus 7. Rooted and running adfree to block all ads.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Dragoon44
12-30-2012, 11:27
As I said, this is the third KF I've had (although Amazon says four?). Their warranty is awesome but their charging port sucks. I hoped they might have changed it on the 2ndGen but they haven't.

And that brings me to another gripe about the nook tablet. The low lifes and B&N that designed it made it to require a special micro USB cord so you can't just replace it with a regular one. you have to buy theirs for 29.00.

Resqu2
12-30-2012, 11:45
Dang, I'd hate that thing, only add I really see is a certain Truck I'd never buy on one of my favorite web sites but its only on my IPad, my other computers block it.

MrsKitty
12-30-2012, 11:58
And that brings me to another gripe about the nook tablet. The low lifes and B&N that designed it made it to require a special micro USB cord so you can't just replace it with a regular one. you have to buy theirs for 29.00.

This is just a standard micro USB but it will only charge from the wall unless you turn it completely off.

Until they replaced it with a 2ndGen, I was pretty happy with the KF other than the charging port being so weak. Based on a huge majority of the reviews I'm reading, Amazon has really upset the customer base they were targeting...