I need a little polite anti-gunner advice here. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I need a little polite anti-gunner advice here.

jame
12-29-2012, 15:39
My wife's brother in law recently admitted his Dad into a long term care facility. He gave me a call, and asked if I had room for his Dad's guns at my place, as they live in a very small home and he doesn't own a safe. I said "Sure thing."

I asked what he wanted me to eventually do with them. Sell them, return them to him later, estimate values and advise? He said he didn't know. There are a few good pieces in the lot, but by and large it's typical farmstead fare, with the .22 rifles and a couple of single shot shotguns. An fair condition Marlin 39 and a good condition Winchester 97 are the jewels in the bunch.

I asked him over Christmas if he had decided, as it's a good time of year to sell. Lots of shows and lots of buyers.

He ends up in an antigun tirade about "assault rifles", and typical gun control rants. And this idiot is a History teacher..:upeyes:

Nonetheless, no answer. What am I supposed to do?

I need some real suggestions here, guys. "Tell him to piss up a rope" are not good answers. This is family, and I need to find some reasonable and peaceful resolve. Why? Because I'm generally a reasonable and peaceful guy, and I live with the sister of this guy's wife.

So, Braintrust, what do I do?

countrygun
12-29-2012, 15:43
I am a little unclear about what your goal is.

ignantmike
12-29-2012, 15:46
"do you want me to sell the guns?".....if not, take them back........

kenpoprofessor
12-29-2012, 15:48
Tell him to piss up a rope, then suck on the wet end.

I'm not nice to anti gunners, family or not, so why be nice, they won't treat you any different?

I don't know why you're even asking this question here though, are you not mature and responsible enough to handle this on your own?

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

HexHead
12-29-2012, 15:48
Because he was such an ass about it, I'd tell him to come pick up the guns, that they're in your way. He obviously doesn't appreciate the favor.

jame
12-29-2012, 15:49
My safe is packed. They need to go somewhere. I don't know where.

Droid noob
12-29-2012, 15:52
Does he ever shoot? If not, would he be willing to go with ya? I've "softened" a few anti gun ppl by inviting them to shoot with me.

camelotkid
12-29-2012, 15:52
Just tell him you will take them off his hands for him then sell what you don't want to keep

steve1988
12-29-2012, 15:53
I take it that you don't want to start a huge emotional argument about it. I would suggest bringing up the facts, in a calm cool manner. If he starts making appeals to emotion, steer the conversation back to the facts. You could bring up that "assault rifles" are used in less than 1% of crimes. I would recommend reading John Lott's book, More Guns, Less Crime. It is a well-reasoned book on how gun control fails. I used it as a source in high school and college numerous times.

The topic of gun control is fraught with emotional reactions on both sides. The only time I have been able to have a conversation (and even change a few minds) with people on this subject is to acknowledge what they say, and counter with facts from sources as objective as possible. Labeling people as gun-grabbers, libtards, etc. only puts people on the defensive, as you are attacking them personally.

stolenphot0
12-29-2012, 15:54
box them up and ship them to my FFL. I'll forward you shipping and $20. And to him I will send $20/gun for my buy back program.

jame
12-29-2012, 15:56

I'm not nice to anti gunners, family or not, so why be nice, they won't treat you any different?

I don't know why you're even asking this question here though, are you not mature and responsible enough to handle this on your own?

Clyde

You don't have many friends, do you Clyde? I know family is out of the equation. Why did you post, again?

Bruce M
12-29-2012, 15:57
My opinion (worth exactly what you paid for it) is if you possibly can figure out how to keep them for a while when his (misdirected) anger regarding the school shooting subsides, he may be in a slightly better position to make a rational decision. If not, I would say before you dispose of them you need to consult with your wife so any decision can be phrased to have included her (his sisters) input to help make the decision seem more palatable to him. And I would also say at least try to keep the 29 and 97 as long as possible. After he is gone, someone in the family may want one of them.

I know you said your safe is packed. The purpose of the safe is to protect valuables and keep an operating firearm from the wrong hands. A firearm that is worth little may not warrant safe space were it to be rendered inoperable.

Hawkeye16
12-29-2012, 16:02
If you have the space just don't mention them again and hope he forgets about them!

kenpoprofessor
12-29-2012, 16:09
You don't have many friends, do you Clyde? I know family is out of the equation. Why did you post, again?

Same reason as you. But yes, I have plenty of friends, and they handle their business without asking a forum full of strangers on matters that should be handled by the postee and those concerned only.

Clyde

jame
12-29-2012, 16:09
Great options here, guys. I hadn't considered a lot of those ideas. A "cooling off" period might be the best option.

Rendering the guns inoperable is a great idea, if this option lands home.

jame
12-29-2012, 16:14
Same reason as you.

Clyde

Wrong.

I don't have all the answers, and I appreciate the value that others can bring in their lifetimes of experience. That's why I post here many times. I usually learn a little bit from the experience of others.

You, obviously believe you have all the answers, so you only post to dazzle us with your bull****.

Thanks for contributing. Now, as you suggested I say, go piss up a rope.

DoubleWide
12-29-2012, 16:18
Is the father in any condition to make a decsion or even talk about it? Who has power of attorney?

Does anyone want the guns?
Does anyone need money?
Do you have any kids or might in the future?

Is there a buyback program in your area?

I'd keep them all, but consider this. Cherry pick but don't be shy about keeping a simple relic like a single shot shotgun. Sell to a buyback program and donate the cash/cards to a battered woman shelter. Don't be afraid to his bias as leverage.

Tx-SIG229
12-29-2012, 16:20
i'd tell him that since he hates guns... they're staying in my safe forever now.

BAILIFF
12-29-2012, 16:26
And this idiot is a History teacher..:upeyes:

Then he may appreciate this, from Forbes, one of the best articles I've ever read defending the Second Amendment...

The Second Amendment was designed to ensure that individuals retained the right and means to defend themselves against any illegitimate attempt to do them harm, be it an attempt by a private outlaw or government agents violating their trust under the color of law. The Second Amendment was meant to guarantee individuals the right to protect themselves against government as much as against private bad guys and gangs.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lawrencehunter/2012/12/28/gun-control-tramples-on-the-certain-virtues-of-a-heavily-armed-citizenry/

Bullman
12-29-2012, 16:26
Just tell him you will take them off his hands for him then sell what you don't want to keep

This. If he doesn't know what he wants to do, ask him if you can have them. Make him an offer, tell him you will get rid of them for him, whatever.

MtBaldy
12-29-2012, 16:28
Let me get this straight, he's your wife's b-i-l so he's married to your wife's sister? So he's no relation to you at all? Tell him to piss up a rope and come get his dad's guns. He's a liberal anti-gun nut and any attempt to change him using facts and logic is doomed to failure. Get his dad's guns out of your safe and let him worry about them.

dango
12-29-2012, 16:35
In some states you may be breaking the law for being in possession of some one else's fire arms without proper licensing .

Make him an honest offer on anything of interest or let him deal with the legalities involved . Put the responsibility back where it belongs on friendly terms !

Glockgeezer
12-29-2012, 16:38
When my brother was diagnosed with alzheimers, I asked him what he did with all his guns as I wanted to make sure he didn't hurt himself or anyone else. He said, "What guns, do I have guns?
When he was asleep, I searched his apartment and found them all. I took them and all the bullets I found and sold them and deposited the money in his bank account. He lived 2 more yrs. and never once mentioned guns. If he had had any that I would have wanted to keep, I would have given him fair market value. I was his court appointed guardian and had to account for every penny. You might want to get some legal advice about what you can legally do. Not worth getting into legal trouble or starting a family row.

Dan_ntx
12-29-2012, 17:05
Patience.

Just let him blow off his steam. Surely you can find some space in your safe or a lockbox until he makes a decision. He sounds like he has other priorities right now.

If he has annoyed you to the point that you no longer wish to continue storing them that is another matter, but it sounds (to me anyway) that you want to be reasonable "family" member (even though he is not a blood relative) and are just a little frustrated.

RenoF250
12-29-2012, 17:10
I think I would make him an offer or tell him to take them back.

AZson
12-29-2012, 17:13
"do you want me to sell the guns?".....if not, take them back........

I agree, after his tirade send him and his guns packing.

NorthernAlpine
12-29-2012, 17:15
Patience.

Wiser words could not be said. Approach it again in due time, apart from any other family members. Your sincere approach is the best. Stay your course man.

jrd22
12-29-2012, 18:12
I think I would email him this link

http://kontradictions.wordpress.com/2012/08/09/why-not-renew-the-assault-weapons-ban-well-ill-tell-you/

then after awhile initiate a conversation on the article. Maybe you can find some common ground and he will learn something to boot. Probably not, but it's worth a shot.

Kevin108
12-29-2012, 18:23
A full safe doesn't mean you need to get rid of family guns that may one day mean something to the grandkids or others. It means you get an additional safe.

Jade Falcon
12-29-2012, 18:30

Clyde

This, for the win!

BTW, Ken, I love your avatar! :cool::rofl:

The Fed
12-29-2012, 18:38
He's a history teacher which usually translates as anti-gunner. No talking with these types. I wouldn't ask him again if he wants you to sell them. He must be in a bad place because of his dad, and you're just reminding him of his condition. Alzheimer patients who are so bad they need to be institutionalized don't live long. Wait until he's cleaning out his house then ask him.

Mrs.Cicero
12-29-2012, 20:41
His opinion is worth what you paid for it. Next time your wife is on the phone with her sister, ask to borrow the phone and talk to him. Then tell him you need to know what to do with the guns - either he comes to get them or you sell them for him (in my family, you'd keep a percentage for that, YMMV), but you need to know right now what he is going to do. You don't have to be a jerk about it. There is just NO ROOM IN YOUR SAFE FOR HIS GUNS.

Harper
12-29-2012, 21:07
Then he may appreciate this, from Forbes, one of the best articles I've ever read defending the Second Amendment...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lawrencehunter/2012/12/28/gun-control-tramples-on-the-certain-virtues-of-a-heavily-armed-citizenry/

Thanks, good read.

Fox
12-29-2012, 21:54
Let me get this straight, he's your wife's b-i-l so he's married to your wife's sister? So he's no relation to you at all? Tell him to piss up a rope and come get his dad's guns. He's a liberal anti-gun nut and any attempt to change him using facts and logic is doomed to failure. Get his dad's guns out of your safe and let him worry about them.

This is the best advise here.

jame
12-29-2012, 22:00

Sounds great on paper, but this is a large family in a small town. I'm with her family on summer gatherings, Thanksgiving, Birthdays, Christmas......well, you get the picture. Family harmony is a high priority for most folks here, and I respect my wife too much to let my egocentric chest thumping ruin a day for her.

woggie
12-29-2012, 22:14
Patience.

Just let him blow off his steam. Surely you can find some space in your safe or a lockbox until he makes a decision. He sounds like he has other priorities right now.

If he has annoyed you to the point that you no longer wish to continue storing them that is another matter, but it sounds (to me anyway) that you want to be reasonable "family" member (even though he is not a blood relative) and are just a little frustrated.

Best advice!

woggie
12-29-2012, 22:16

That is a GREAT article, thanks for passing it on!

RayB
12-29-2012, 23:53
A teacher that's an idiot? Say it ain't so! How can that be?

If it were me, I would bypass the "argument" entirely and stick to the matter at hand—the guns.

I'd offer him a steeply discounted $$$ for anything I wanted to buy for myself, and take, say, 25% of the revenue for selling off the balance of them.

If he refuses the above-offer, I'd return the lot to him with one day's notice.

If he has the good grace to apologize, I’d coolly accept his apology and repeat the above-mentioned options.

Do not let people crap on you—in particular family members! In particular school teachers...

--Ray

blackjack
12-30-2012, 05:30
My wife's brother in law recently admitted his Dad into a long term care facility. He gave me a call, and asked if I had room for his Dad's guns at my place, as they live in a very small home and he doesn't own a safe. I said "Sure thing."

I asked what he wanted me to eventually do with them. Sell them, return them to him later, estimate values and advise? He said he didn't know. There are a few good pieces in the lot, but by and large it's typical farmstead fare, with the .22 rifles and a couple of single shot shotguns. An fair condition Marlin 39 and a good condition Winchester 97 are the jewels in the bunch.

I asked him over Christmas if he had decided, as it's a good time of year to sell. Lots of shows and lots of buyers.

He ends up in an antigun tirade about "assault rifles", and typical gun control rants. And this idiot is a History teacher..:upeyes:

Nonetheless, no answer. What am I supposed to do?

I need some real suggestions here, guys. "Tell him to piss up a rope" are not good answers. This is family, and I need to find some reasonable and peaceful resolve. Why? Because I'm generally a reasonable and peaceful guy, and I live with the sister of this guy's wife.

So, Braintrust, what do I do?

I've read the entire thread before writing this so I can say you've received advice of every type including the kind you say you don't want. I hope you find this to be the good kind with some potential perspective on the other kind:

First off, two things appear to have happened in your Christmas interaction. One was it's possible your wife's BIL released some inner emotions that were likely related to the transition in his father's life that he, the son, was not prepared to face rather than "assault rifles" as a subject of current events.

Second, because of those emotions, it's possible your wife's BIL was also going passive-aggressive on you as a manipulation and positioning for the future should you actually truly desire to purchase any or all of the firearms. Some of the advice here, the kind you didn't want to hear, would apply but you need to evaluate if passive-aggressive is a standard pattern of behavior for this guy. If past history supports that conclusion, "piss up a rope" may be the only effective approach.

If I were in your shoes, I'd let it lie a short while to see if some of the emotion comes out of the situation. If he goes off again when you re-open the subject, I'd start by pointing out there are none of those "evil assault weapons" in his father's collection so let's confine the conversation to the subject at hand. Should he persist in an off-topic rant, then the "piss up a rope" option seems the only way to deal with it by having no room in your safe for long-term storage.