Sometimes I don't understand eBay... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I don't understand eBay...

CitizenOfDreams
12-29-2012, 17:31
I kind of need a new camera to replace my aging PowerShot SX1. So I'm looking around and kicking tires and checking prices on a Panasonic FZ200... And eBay never fails to make me scratch my head and think "WTF?".

There is a used one, "just like brand new in perfect condition" (we all know what that means). 49 bids, $535 and counting (15 hours left).

And there is a brand new one, with a pile of accessories like carrying bag, charger, memory card, lens hood etc... Buy it now for $530. No takers.

Both items are in the US, both ship free, both sellers have good feedback. :dunno:

The Fed
12-29-2012, 17:33
There's a sucker born every minute. You just observed a herd of them.

Dan_ntx
12-29-2012, 19:23
Shill bidders?

A common practice in my industry (car business) is to run up the sales price at auction by selling to your buddy (who will certainly return the favor) thus creating a record of a comp sale. Since every dealer sees the same research at the auction when that car hits the block again that fraudulent sale price is listed...making it look like there is more of a market than really exists for a make/model. Often they will run the same car through multiple auctions "selling" it back and forth to get multiple comps. The auction could care less because they get their fee every time, and the seller raises their chances of selling a $14k car for $17k because the buyers see a list of similar cars hitting that number.

gTWO
12-30-2012, 00:01
Why are you not looking at the SX50 HS?!

Better lens than the SX1, much better sensor. Much faster AF. I'd rate my SX50 at 7/10, compared to the perfect full-frame DSLR, and the SX1 as 5/10. (I also own a 2003 1Ds, so can compare).

CitizenOfDreams
12-30-2012, 02:07
Why are you not looking at the SX50 HS?!

I did look at it, but I didn't like what I saw.

SX50 has a rather dim lens - f/3.4 to f/6.5. That's even darker than my old SX1. Panasonic's lens boasts f/2.8 aperture through the entire zoom range.

The sensor... I really disliked the CMOS sensor in my SX1. Too much noise in still shots, and the "rolling shutter" effect that makes HD video unusable. So I promised myself never to buy a CMOS camera again. But I'm willing to give Panasonic a chance.

Autofocus... I don't think either camera can be much worse than my SX1.

But the real show stopper is HD video.
Panasonic: 720p30, 720p60, 1080i60, 1080p30, 1080p60.
Canon: 720p30 and 1080p24, plus the abomination known as "iFrame" (960x540p30). :faint: