I AM. . . . . Gasoline. . . [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I AM. . . . . Gasoline. . .

Dennis in MA
12-29-2012, 18:06
And matches!

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/DennisinMA/D6FDABF6-7364-4D1E-8236-D77A900AFBE4-4103-0000019D18F58CC2.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/DennisinMA/DDA38D61-EBCA-40D1-8CA0-4FB78C8FDB72-4103-0000019D2244B59B.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/DennisinMA/34C805CE-2C89-447E-A492-38F5CE9AB58A-4103-000001D29326246E.jpg

Took 3 months to talk the seller down. Now it's in storage until March when it gets disc brakes and some minor corrections.

Gonna be a fun summer 2013. 6-seater! The whole clan +1 can fit.

Not an SS. Not even spectacular. You can't get a 68 Malibu with less options than this and a convertible top. 307, power steering, that's it. Lol. ( Hence my desire to replace the brakes.)

Had to have been a Southern car. Seller said its been in CT it's entire life. I don't believe it. All original body. No rust. Like NONE. No bondo anywhere.

My mechanic was awesome. Helped me out. Played bad-cop the whole way. I learned in the last few months how little I know about cars.

The top is a replacement, but correct white top as per trim tag. One repaint in original Grotto Blue. (Looks greenish in the florescent shop lights.) interior is original and in almost perfect shape. 80k miles or so on it. Based on condition, that odometer never rolled over.

Time to put some miles on it. :)

janice6
12-29-2012, 18:11
It's an excellent acquisition, congratulations. The disc brake change is also a very good choice. Less options means less wiring and mechanical failures. Good thinking.

You will have a great time cruising the countryside.

Rick C
12-29-2012, 18:12
:supergrin:
I knew you had it in you.:cool:

Edit: Needs Busse Hood Ornament.

Jake514
12-29-2012, 18:15
Looks like fun times ahead...enjoy!

Atlas
12-29-2012, 18:16
Congrats! I know you've been looking for a while, I'm happy you found one you wanted.

Kevin108
12-29-2012, 18:20
Dad and I finished a build on a 72 a few years back. They are great cars!

The Fed
12-29-2012, 18:24
I've lived through this era.

The 307's notoriously ate camshafts. They were not heat-treated properly. A new engine will be in your future. You'll need more than a couple of calipers, rotors and brake pads. You'll need a new proportioning valve for a disc-brake car, and since you don't know anything about car you don't know that disc brakes require much more hydraulic pressure to operate. You'll need a disk-brake master cylinder too. New brake lines are needed, along with new rear wheel cylinders. Since you're not doing the work yourself be prepared for a huge bill, especially for labor. This is not a simple job. I hope you didn't pay much for the car. No one should ever buy a classic car unless they have the ability to do their own work. I figure if you had a lot of money you would have bought a disk brake car with at least a 327.

Dennis in MA
12-29-2012, 18:27
:supergrin:
I knew you had it in you.:cool:

Edit: Needs Busse Hood Ornament.

Lol

How about stabbing a Battle Mistres through the hood?

TF - there's always one. Lol. I DO know what is involved in the brake change.

Gareth68
12-29-2012, 18:39
It looks like about a grand for the brake upgrade in parts.

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/75A5495A0A0.aspx

Sweet ride.

I fully believe in good brakes. I have upgraded to 4 wheel discs on my 72 VW beetle.

It's nice to have copious amount of whoa on hand.

Your smiles per mile ratio will be high.

Enjoy.

FAS1
12-29-2012, 18:46
Ah man, I thought you were OVERHAULED!

Nice ride!

Glenn
www.fas1safe.com

Dan_ntx
12-29-2012, 18:48

The 307's notoriously ate camshafts. They were not heat-treated properly. A new engine will be in your future. You'll need more than a couple of calipers, rotors and brake pads. You'll need a new proportioning valve for a disc-brake car, and since you don't know anything about car you don't know that disc brakes require much more hydraulic pressure to operate. You'll need a disk-brake master cylinder too. New brake lines are needed, along with new rear wheel cylinders. Since you're not doing the work yourself be prepared for a huge bill, especially for labor. This is not a simple job. I hope you didn't pay much for the car. No one should ever buy a classic car unless they have the ability to do their own work. I figure if you had a lot of money you would have bought a disk brake car with at least a 327.

I rarely believe people who "know a lot about things"...

It has 80k on the clock with whatever improperly heat treated camshaft they crammed in it on the assembly line...I bet $5 it makes it through many more.

I also am willing to wager yet another $5 (but that is my limit) that the OP has a friend willing to handle the disc brake upgrade...probably the person mentioned in the story with the nickname "my mechanic".

Congratulations to the OP, and try to ignore Debbie downer, I hope you enjoy your new old car.

69stingray
12-29-2012, 18:56
Sweet! :cool:

GenX
12-29-2012, 18:56
"Not an SS. Not even spectacular." You did good and it does look spectacular. You will no doubt have as much fun in that as you would an SS, if not more. It looks like a dang nice driver.

skeeter7
12-29-2012, 20:18
Dennis, take a quick ride down Rt. 44 and pick me up. Tonight's a perfect night to go out for a spin in that thing....hahaha! Congrats! :thumbsup:

mrmedina
12-29-2012, 20:58
:bowdown::thumbsup:

Reissman
12-29-2012, 21:01
Sweet ride!

G17Jake
12-29-2012, 21:06
Nice car. I hope it brings you and your family some good times.

BEER
12-29-2012, 21:09

hey *********, even if everything you say is true you could at least let the man get it home and learn the hard lessons for himself before you **** all over his fantasy. take a long hard look at how happy he and his kids are in the car before you get all technically correct on him.

skinny99
12-29-2012, 21:53
The 307 were hard on cams. But if it made it past 10k it will live. If it didn't it was replaced. It will live. If not these are literally the easiest engines to find parts for or work on that you can find. A nice little RV cam would be awesome! :supergrin:

As far as the brake upgrades go. The SSBC stuff is real nice. prob overkill for the way it sounds like you will be driving the car. Summit sells a kit. Complete soup to nuts.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-bk1201/overview/year/1968/make/chevrolet/model/chevelle

I would verify application before ordering but this appears correct.

That is a really fun drivable car. Enjoy it with your family. I like that blue.

JDennis
12-29-2012, 21:58

Aren't you quite the Kill Joy..... Actually the Job on those cars is quite simple and can be performed in 1 day with a few friends and a few 12 oz curls. The A-body is one of the easiest platforms to work on outside of gm's 1/2 tons. I owned one, and rebuilt it from the ground up many many years ago at the age of 18 with limited knowledge about cars. My Chevelle was the start of my curse called being a car guy.

Congrats on the purchase! She is a beaut! 307's cam issues are overrated as long as your not hot rodding it around town. It has more to do with oiling issues. A 307 can wipe a cam just as easily with a aftermarket cam and lifters. As for disc's that is a good upgrade. Go with a complete kit upgrade. I used a ssbc kit in mine.

vettely
12-29-2012, 22:06
The 307 were hard on cams. But if it made it past 10k it will live. If it didn't it was replaced. It will live. If not these are literally the easiest engines to find parts for or work on that you can find. A nice little RV cam would be awesome! :supergrin:

As far as the brake upgrades go. The SSBC stuff is real nice. prob overkill for the way it sounds like you will be driving the car. Summit sells a kit. Complete soup to nuts.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-bk1201/overview/year/1968/make/chevrolet/model/chevelle

I would verify application before ordering but this appears correct.

That is a really fun drivable car. Enjoy it with your family. I like that blue.
Super nice car.
Good find on the disc brake kit. I love Summit Racing.

.264 magnum
12-29-2012, 22:08

What?

.264 magnum
12-29-2012, 22:19
Dennis very nice score!

A girlfriend in high school had a Camero with a 307. Her dad installed a shift kit, headers, upgraded the intake and carb. The net was the car ran quite well.

If your car's front suspension has upper and lower A frame bushings inspect them - especially the uppers - and have your mechanic replace them if needed.

I'd suggest you pry the 307 badges off and replace them with 327 insignia for improved street cred. :tongueout:

nathanours
12-29-2012, 22:24
Trust me the lack of options (i.e. lack of wiring) will be a blessing if you get under the dash much. This one is just getting sorted out:

http://i575.photobucket.com/albums/ss199/glock19_9mm/20121229_151902.jpg

Beautiful car by the way.

JMS
12-29-2012, 23:20
Ah man, I thought you were OVERHAULED!

Nice ride!

Glenn
www.fas1safe.com (http://www.fas1safe.com)

Seriously, that's exactly what I thought!

happy seal
12-30-2012, 02:39
Very nice Dennis, You can pick me up in Ct next summer and we can cruise down to Camden Yards to watch the O's kick ***! Ha-ha!

Very nice Bro! I'm jealous!

faawrenchbndr
12-30-2012, 05:41

Wow,......what an *******! :dunno:

roger123
12-30-2012, 05:59
Great car, congrats, you and the kids will have a blast. And it's one that you can actually drive and not be freaked out about it.

I love cars like that, great shape that you can actually drive. Not one of three built that you can only look at as you're afraid to put a mile on it.

Good job and best of luck!

gwalchmai
12-30-2012, 06:31
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/DennisinMA/DDA38D61-EBCA-40D1-8CA0-4FB78C8FDB72-4103-0000019D2244B59B.jpg

'68?

skinny99
12-30-2012, 07:34
If no one has replaced the shocks in a while, they can be a great upgrade also. Along with a good set of tires.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsn-24-009294/overview/year/1968/make/chevrolet/model/chevelle

Restless28
12-30-2012, 07:40
That's a nice ride Dennis. Y'all look happy!

Dennis in MA
12-30-2012, 07:42
Dennis, take a quick ride down Rt. 44 and pick me up. Tonight's a perfect night to go out for a spin in that thing....hahaha! Congrats! :thumbsup:

Orrrrrrrrrrr, no. Lol

'68?

Si.

I think, to me, 68 was the sweet spot for these. 67 was still boxy, but almost as good. 69 started the move to the ugly 70's car styling. 66 is nice, 70 isn't. I believe by 71 the car was uglified. Lost the high beams. Although the Impala-esque rear bumper of the 72 was cool. My hot next door neighbor had one when I was growing up.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I knew you would appreciate it.

Don't be too hard on Fed. May have been a bad night. I've had those and posted stupid S-word a time or two here. Lol

My mechanic has the brakes on order already. I forget which kit it was. Not only is he a small dealer and repair shop, he's owned about a 2 dozen muscle cars. Knows his way around A Body vee-hickles.

You should see all the chrome under the hood. It was the only place I was a hard ass. "Yeah, that's nice and all, but it does me squat. I'm not going to shows. Bob here will look at it far more than I ever will." The guy about plotz'd. I think he added it recently to get more $ out of the car.

I'll have more pix in the spring.

Dennis in MA
12-30-2012, 07:43
Also - the guys that noticed I've been looking for a while - you are a far better online friend than I am. I can barely remember your names, let alone opinions some days. Lol.

Cali-Glock
12-30-2012, 08:40
Beautiful!! Have fun!

skeeter7
12-30-2012, 08:45
Orrrrrrrrrrr, no. Lol

Well that just hurts. :crying: We only got about 8 inches of snow here. I'm sure she could have handled it.

sappy13
12-30-2012, 08:46
badass car. congrats

Dennis in MA
12-30-2012, 09:01
Well that just hurts. :crying: We only got about 8 inches of snow here. I'm sure she could have handled it.

Holy flucks! We got only 4. Thank you for taking our extra.

jph02
12-30-2012, 09:05
Napoleon Dynamite - Lucky - YouTube
:rock:

Short Cut
12-30-2012, 10:52
Very cool time machine. :cool: