How well trained is your dog? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How well trained is your dog?

Willfulone
12-29-2012, 19:53
Curious as to how well trained your dog is...

I have a 5 yo English Chocolate Lab.

I am often told he is the best trained dog anyone has ever seen.

I bet he has 900+ hours of training.

Never runs, never bolts, stays in the yard when unattended

He does all the basics, in both verbal and hand signs.

He patrols, alerts, guards and attacks, all on verbal and
hand signs and only if he is instructed

He is 100 percent off leash, and never goes more than 15
feet from me unless I release him.

He can track and locate by scent.

He has absolutely no bad manners and obeys every command
the first time.

He really is an amazing dog...

Just wondering how many other people have dogs that
are fully/certifiable trained

Will

stolenphot0
12-29-2012, 19:56
my dog has 0 hours of professional training and listened to everything I said. She is deaf now and still looks for what I am saying and directing her to. I can take her out front and she knows the boundary of my property and never deviates. So I am lucky.

I have friends and neighbors that have the worst mannered dogs I have ever seen and think they don't need a dog.

Glock30Eric
12-29-2012, 19:59
my dog has 0 hours of professional training and listened to everything I said. She is deaf now and still looks for what I am saying and directing her to. I can take her out front and she knows the boundary of my property and never deviates. So I am lucky.

I have friends and neighbors that have the worst mannered dogs I have ever seen and think they don't need a dog.

Wow! I'm deaf and I have a deaf cat. I would like to have a deaf dog someday.

Willfulone
12-29-2012, 20:01

I did all the training for my dog.

Started with the basics when he was just a pup. I enjoy
training him, part of my relaxation routine.

It just seems he never stops learning.

Well trained/behaved dogs are truly a treat...

Will

birddog1
12-29-2012, 20:03
My 2 yr old German Shorthair is pretty well behaved. We have a fence around the back of the yard but not around the part closest to the house, she knows she can't leave the yard unless I go up front and give her the OK. She also knows she is not allowed to leave her crate until I give her the OK. No real formal training just repetition.

Jack_Pine
12-29-2012, 20:05
We always have 3. This question has always interested me.

Currently we have 10yr GSD, 4 yr Border and a 3 month Springer.

Generally I consider them well trained if they sit,stay and come on command (every time) I have never trained mine to do tricks (not against it but don't care)

Having said that, having heck of time house training the young Springer in the house training thing. Laying on my lap right now....good thing they are cute.

I always say they don't grow brain until 1 yr. GSD's have been different, kind of. They learn fast, but the crazy puppy stuff takes awhile.

NorthernAlpine
12-29-2012, 20:11
My dog attacks anyone or anything that smells like patchouli.

http://balljunkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Duh-Winning-51410878608.png

Sharkey
12-29-2012, 20:14
Very. Little training but I am repetitive and my pit mix is pretty well behaved. Off leash no issues and we can leave food out and she ignores it. Nothing is ever chewed on and she uses her dog door. She even camps with us with no issues. If I could only teach her to have courage.

cesaros
12-29-2012, 20:19
My dog has 9 years formal training...and can sit/lay down.

as well as bite/hold suspects, stand-off, scout for people, and sniff out explosive odors.

He can also shake hands for a treat. :wavey:

milje
12-29-2012, 20:26
My lab can sit, lay down, and shake. He also comes back to me on command.

He's also a jumper and has pretty good aim for a nut shot if you're not careful.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

stolenphot0
12-29-2012, 20:27
I did all the training for my dog.

Started with the basics when he was just a pup. I enjoy
training him, part of my relaxation routine.

It just seems he never stops learning.

Well trained/behaved dogs are truly a treat...

Will
I wish i could have got mine as a pup. She was a stray rescue and hard headed, about 3 years old. It took work but it paid off.

That's awesome you did all the training. So few people seem to know how to train a dog and reenforce the training.

skorper
12-29-2012, 20:33
What is the secret to that "100 percent off leash" part? I was once given a mongrel who would shadow me everywhere I went and never strayed off the property. She tried to obey every command I gave her, even if it was something she didn't understand. She would just stop and look at me to try and read my intentions. She was about a year old and I was in transition at the time and was moving, and I gave her to someone else before she had a chance to bond with me too well.

I now have a male German Shepard, and he is pretty good. I haven't had a lot of time to work with him as far as training. Whether he comes back to me upon command depends on what mood he's in. When he found out he could outrun me, it was all over.

stolenphot0
12-29-2012, 20:38
I wish I knew. It took time to get her there, but once she realized she had it good at my house I never had any issues after. Anytime she started to get too far, I would call her back. I think age may have something to do with it too.

Red Stick
12-29-2012, 20:40
We have a 7 month old Australian Shepherd... smartest dog I've ever had. He's got all his basics down. We started working on eye contact and impulse control early on and it has been great for him. We've been learning new fun tricks lately like jumping over and through objects and weaving through your legs as you walk, going to try and master a hand stand one day. He's great off leash and most of the time has a rock solid recall but lately I am seeing a small amount of defiance but I guess that's just his age. I've worked with him steadily since we got him at 11 weeks old and think he's going to be a great family dog.

Berto
12-29-2012, 20:48
Social and temprament wise, I'm very happy with my APBT. He needs work with leash manners, loves to pull. It's an easy fix, but he doesn't get as much leash time as he should, just to and from the car and park.

idahoglock
12-29-2012, 20:53
I have a 14 year old chocolate lab that I've been training since he was 8 weeks old. He used to sit, stay, lay down, high five, rollover, and heel all by voice and hand commands.

Now he pretty much sleeps in the corner, snores as loud as a chainsaw, farts, barks at shadows and has a cantankerous disposition.

Damn good dog.

cesaros
12-29-2012, 21:01
What is the secret to that "100 percent off leash" part?

some of it is just how the dog is naturally...like your "mongrel". But you can get any flight risk dog to be loyal to your side, and not stray off.

Every flightrisk dog ive helped train gets to the point of being able to be let off leash through maturity and consistent training...as well as a strong rapport.

my Malinois is so loyal to me because we are very very close...and that only comes from TONS of play time, and TONS of training time (obedience, and work...but for a non service animal, just obedience training) They learn over time that you are the leader, and their place is next to you.

HollowHead
12-29-2012, 21:10
My coonhound will rotate and squeeze off a deathcloud in my face at exactly 3:06am every single morning. Figuring I'm up anyways, my GSD will take my space when I return from the bathroom after taking a leak like clockwork. Well trained dogs work in pairs. HH

BEER
12-29-2012, 21:19
Curious as to how well trained your dog is...l

what is this "trained" you speak of??

i have a yard full of 100% purebred mutts that all came to me predisposed to make constant and copious amounts of very loud noise when anybody including family approaches the driveway gate. the 2 indoor mutts make even more noise when anyone inside the house so much as farts.

i have not ever, nor will i ever discourage these animals from this behavior. the dogs are serving their purpose as early warning systems and are earning their keep. they know my particular tones when i am just yelling at them to shut up ans when i am actually wanting them to shut up, and i know the difference in tones when they are barking just to bark ans when they are barking to alert me.

we have a system and while not perfect it has worked so far.

janice6
12-29-2012, 21:31
My dog is 11 years old. I have trained him to come and get me when it's supper time, come and get me when he has to go potty, to come and get me when he needs some hugging and personal time with me, to sleep all night in the bed with mom and me. He does not play with toys but supplies them for his friends when the Rottweilers, Akitas and Bulldogs come over to play with him.

He will travel with me in the car but has to go in his crate or he gets car sick. He spends one week every year in Northern Minnesota in the Chippewa National Forrest without a leash. I have him trained to accept every and all the treats I offer him for any inane reason.

He is the best. He is mine.

Folsom_Prison
12-29-2012, 21:36
Short answer..... Spas matic as I call him..... Couldnt find his own tail if he tried!

There's many other things I call him but there not GT approved.

Willfulone
12-29-2012, 21:54
What is the secret to that "100 percent off leash" part? .

Hard to say with a dog that already has learned behaviors.

I started with leash training. First 2 ft, then 3 Ft, then 5 Ft, then
10 Ft. The first thing is to get them to walk with out pulling.
This take more patience on your part. When Rocky was young,
we would sometimes spend the entire 15 min training session
with me just standing in place, with him on a 2 ft lead. If he
pulled, we did not move an inch. (no words, no outward
corrections, just no movement). Once you can get them not
to pull, you can then start walking. When you walk, only walk
if there is no tension on the lead. Then keep feeding them
more lead, until they will do it with a full 10-15 ft lead. They should take a sence form you when to move and when not to.

Once you have that down, start boundary training. Walk them
around the boundary of you property, over and over again.
When they step over the boundary, give the dog a sharp one
syllable verbal correction with a quick jerk on the lead. The
physical correction does not needs to be hard, just so they
are redirected attention wise. Keep moving. Do that about a
million times until the dog will walk the entire perimeter with
out any deviation.

Once they will do that, you can start with the off leash training.
That is the same as the lead training, but without the lead.
Have the dog sit and only start walking when you do. When the
dog gets more than 2 ft away from you, give the sharp verbal
correction. If the dog goes more than 2 ft away when you are
walking, stop, make the dog sit and start over again. Work
way out to you desired distance.

Once they will walk off leash, then start walking the perimeter
again, never letting the dog step over the boundary.

I use a combination of praise and treats. I generally break up
2 milk bones into 8 to 10 pieces and give him a piece every
other time, and then give him high praise when he does not
get the treat.

The number 1 thing to remember about dogs is that they are
pack animals. They will naturally seek out their level or
position in the pack. If you are not #1 in the pack or at least
higher than the dog, they will not listen to you. The very best
way to assert dominance over a dog is to be " in his space "
If your dog moves away when you get in his space, he thinks
he is higher in the pack than you are. When Rocky was 1, fully
grown, but still a puppy brain, he would go wild, running and
jumping, basically testing me. He had so much energy and
would just go on and on, I would have to take him down and
lay my body over his and pin him to the ground. He would go
wild trying to escape, I would just keep him there until he gave
up. Then from 1 to 2, he would check in with me abut once a
week, just to make sure I was still the boss, After 2, he stopped
testing me. I'm always in my dogs space, I crawl over him
when he is on the floor, I stand over him when he is sitting,
reach into his food bowl when he is eating ect...

Once they know their place, you can train them to do just
about anything...

Will

MulletLoad
12-29-2012, 22:01
Got a lab that came from a litter of a couple of Florabama boys who bred their favorite hunting dogs. Smart arse dog that will do anything and learn anything in a second.

Neighbor across the street bought a high end lab as a Xmas present a few years ago. He's spend hundreds of hours trying to get it to retrieve a ball and wait for another toss. The dog is almost a village idiot, but has almost grasped the concept. Meanwhile, our dog runs across the street, sits at anttention like a new Marine Recruit and retreives the ball until she almost drops dead. His dog is walking around in circles looking at birds above.

Anyone have a good online rersource for training? I have a easily trainable dog, but it's owners are idiots ;)

elsolo
12-29-2012, 22:40
<-------------Weinerdog

There is a reason they don't win obedience trials, sniff out drugs or bombs, or anything remotely obedience related.

She knows and responds to a lot of words: sit, stay, up, down, come, shake, drop it, go get it, squeaky, bedtime, walk, potty, treat, chicken, bacon, quiet, mommy, lizard, rat, squirrel.

There is just a lack of "eager to please" that say a retriever or shepard has.

Mayhem like Me
12-29-2012, 23:00
If I tell him to drop it he will drop it even if it is steak and he is eating it...

wanna19
12-29-2012, 23:20
Meet Ruckus:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/JDPhotography_2007/IMG-20120424-00164.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/JDPhotography_2007/IMAG0068.jpg

As an American Bulldog, he is very stubborn. I have however taught him to sit, stay, come, and jump up. He will also balance on his hind legs if you have a treat or something he wants. I've been working with him to shake and bark on command, but that's not going all that well. He will walk off leash and behave as long as as there's no other stimuli around. All in all, he's an awesome dog, just stubborn as hell:whistling:

PS. Other posters are right, as long as you make it abuntantly clear to the dog that you are the pack leader, the dog will respect and obey you. I do this by always making sure I go through doors, up stairs, and eat before Ruckus does.

Java Junky
12-29-2012, 23:33
All our guys've heeled off-leash and stayed on the property without a whole hell'uv'a lodda training.
Which was pretty impressive when we had our 130lb. Rottie, our 155lb. Mastiff'n our 110lb. junkyard shepherd.
The shepherd was trained with small-unit hand signals and when he went deaf at 12, he operated solely on visuals.
Currently only have Mary Margaret, our Boxstiff.
We can leave her outside and she stays on the property.
Although . . we're not too certain that she wouldn't sell us out in'a heartbeat for'a top-down ride in'a raggtopp.

Get me started on my buddies'n you'd better get a cigarette'n'a cupp'a.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u21/JavaJunky429/th_IMG_0114-2.jpg (http://s164.beta.photobucket.com/user/JavaJunky429/media/IMG_0114-2.jpg.html)
Oh, and Rotties're the worlds biggest termites and Mastiffs like ShopVac parts. (Although the Rottie did eat an entire Seal sandal and crap the buckles. But I didn't train'im to do that.)

ss243b
12-29-2012, 23:36
I have a 3 year old german shorthair, she knows all the basics, sit, shake, treat, sleep, ball, bear(bear toy), baby(little kid which means no jumping or rough housing). She will also get the newspaper on command, but even at 3 years old she still seems to have alot of puppy in her, sometimes dont wanna come inside after being out playing. She is my child :)

ss243b
12-29-2012, 23:43
Forgot to throw a pic up :)230038

Java Junky
12-29-2012, 23:55
Ss . . those eyes're meltin' me!

itisbruno
12-30-2012, 00:06
They will bring me a stick

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh193/brun02/dog/100_0849.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh193/brun02/dog/Miky/IMG_2580.jpg

Fend off an attacker

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh193/brun02/dog/D3_frame_0741.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh193/brun02/dog/Miky/IMG_3720.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh193/brun02/dog/escapesleeeveposition.jpg

Go Biking

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh193/brun02/dog/run_dieter_run.jpg

itisbruno
12-30-2012, 00:07
or just sit there and look handsome

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh193/brun02/dog/dieter5.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh193/brun02/dog/Miky/mikysit3.jpg

JuneyBooney
12-30-2012, 03:23
My gsd bark if I pass gas.:rofl:If you are outside and pass gas they will bark too. They sleep right next to me and they are my friends. They mostly listen and they love to be petted. They also love cheeseburgers. I don't expect them to be patrol dogs or anything like that because they are my friends. :whistling: But at least one of my gsd could follow you for a mile until he finds you and not get lost. :supergrin:

But the op's dog sounds pretty cool.

JuneyBooney
12-30-2012, 03:24
or just sit there and look handsome

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh193/brun02/dog/dieter5.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh193/brun02/dog/Miky/mikysit3.jpg

Good looking pup pics.:supergrin:

eastx
12-30-2012, 06:44
4 yr old Southern Black Mouth will sit, and "get em pigs" he backs off the bay when he knows I'm in rifle range, I spoiled him by shootin over him, pigs are all he tracks and sit is the only command he knows, he barks ALL THE TIME and my daughter can tug in his ears and pull on his tail and he shadows her like I've never seen, he is entirely too friendly with absolutely everybody, an all around GREAT breed!!!! Look em up!! Southern Black Mouth Cur!!

eastx
12-30-2012, 06:48
And I work a job where I'm in 200+ back yards a day, our big bad attack dogs are not so big and bad when your meter reader shows up with a bag full of treats every month!!! LOL the one breed I've had to mace more than 5 different ones is a Blue Heeler, most territorial dominant and aggressive breed I've dealt with on my job.

FPS
12-30-2012, 07:04
My dog is trained to hunt partridge and woodcock. She is a pointer and she is very good at it and she brings 'em back after I shoot 'em. I'd say she is trained well for a bird dog but nothing like what is described in the OP.

Java Junky
12-30-2012, 07:47
Bruno, Mary Margaret ain't gonna leave me alone until I ask: izz'ee single?

(Though, I can see that he's one'a those models with the 15' tongue that only came equipped with the 12' reel.)

cyphertext
12-30-2012, 08:07
Here is my boy. He will do the sit, stay, lay, shake, high five, and leave it / take it. He will also walk on a leash. But off leash, nope, ain't happening....he immediately runs out of the yard and if you start to chase him it becomes a game. Only way I can get him back is to go get the truck, drive around the block and whistle for him. Once I see him, drop the tailgate and tell him to "load up". He is very stubborn and almost failed obedience training at Pets Mart. He already knew everything they were trying to cover, but he would not follow the commands with so much stimulus.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/cyphertext/ChristmasDuke_zps99474b24.jpg

Willfulone
12-30-2012, 08:45
Beautiful dogs Everyone :wavey:

He is a pic of Rocky

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/Flyerpenn/image_zps33cd9907.jpg

Will

Sharkey
12-30-2012, 08:46
What is the secret to that "100 percent off leash" part?

I think it is as others have said. With our current rescue, I think she is too afraid to be on her own. We got her as a pup and I would have to pull her on a leash on a walk but now she goes crazy when the collar and leash comes out. I've had neighbors ask me how did I get my dog to stay in the yard. I now take her on a walk and I ride my bike. She's off leash about 75% of the time.

Our prior rescue, also a pit mix, was a great loyal smart dog but we got her when she was 3 and she would take off if allowed. She'd come back but it was on her own terms.

azbuckeye
12-30-2012, 09:12
Did you mean to ask "How well has your dog trained you?"......Our 15 year old Black Lab Murphy pretty much calls the shots in our home.

HollowHead
12-30-2012, 09:14
And I work a job where I'm in 200+ back yards a day, our big bad attack dogs are not so big and bad when your meter reader shows up with a bag full of treats every month!!!

We get our mail delivered by a lady in a red Cherokee who hands out treats. It's funny to watch her car being followed by all the dogs like the Pied Piper. HH

RSXTREME
12-30-2012, 09:19
He's my driver

GreenDrake
12-30-2012, 09:28
This is my 3 year old Lab/Pit mix, Chug. I took this of him last Christmas when he went to fetch a toy from behind the Christmas tree and got a strand of lights around his neck. He can move VERY fast when a tree is chasing him.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/motorcade1/chuggers2.jpg

This is the look I get when he wants to play some fetch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v462/motorcade1/photo36.jpg

Java Junky
12-30-2012, 09:32
I've found that once'a nugai gets comfortable with our existing crotch-sniffer branch of the family, when they're out'n about without leash, when the original-recipe mutts come when called, the nugai will follow suit.
But I don't wanna find out too early if they're gonna bolt, so it's only after a few times out watchin' their response that I'll let'em out without'a leash.
'Think I'm tryin'a say that our existing crotch-sniffin' contingent trains the nugais much more than anything I can do.

P.S.: 'Love the flicks'uv'yer dogs. That'd make for'a great thread all by it's lonesome.

Drain You
12-30-2012, 10:27
1 dog will mind most of the time if I'm physically there. Once I leave he turns into a demon.
The other one? HA

He has to be caged/fenced/tethered at all times or he'll bolt. He was like that when I adopted him.

Mrs.Cicero
12-30-2012, 12:01
Mine didn't go off the property when off leash, but he did kill two of my chickens, so he's not allowed off leash anymore unless the chickens are cooped. He will sit, lay down, stay, not eat til you tell him he can, play fetch til he drops, and is wildly thrilled to go backpacking. He is a great alarm dog (no one hits the property without being announced continually). He is, however, horrible about non-pack being in the house, barking and/or circling continually if they are standing up, or walking. Neurotic herd dog - Aussie/Sheltie mix. I only keep him around because he is pretty. It frankly annoys the daylights out of me that he is continually under my feet, as if the world will end if I get halfway across the room from him. Currently he is sleeping behind my chair. if I stand up, though, he'll be up, too, trying to trip me.

He doesn't do a thing about the mice in my house, either. This is rather annoying. I would be a cat person if I weren't deathly allergic to them, just because they are not so clingy.

xArcher
12-30-2012, 13:47
Curious as to how well trained your dog is...

My dog, a mutt does, all the standard stuff; sit, heel, come, fetch, catch, drop-it, give, go home, hunt, seek, release and beer. By most standards she is extremely well behaved. She is totally ball-stupid and will vertically jump six feet to catch one.

One of my nieces has a dog the incredibly well trained. He is a service dog, about 100 lbs of the pure help. He can open drawers, doors and remove socks. He even was able to reminder her to take her meds three times a day.

He had to be recently re-certificated. They took him to a food court in a shopping mall. When on "duty" they dropped french fries and hamburgers inches from his nose ... not his. Release him from duty and he is more ball stupid than my mutt.

If offered, support those that train and support service dogs.

AK_Stick
12-30-2012, 13:57
I have malamutes. In all the dogs I've worked with or trained over the years I don't know that I've ever had dogs so stubborn.

Stella, the big 130 lb lunk was adopted from the pound, and she's a big lover, and listens pretty well.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/image_zps6f3d6d04.jpg
Kiera, my purebred puppy..... Well, I'm not sure she will survive to make it to 8 months.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/image_zps7ec8134f.jpg

RDW
12-30-2012, 15:53
Very Well Trained.

http://s132.beta.photobucket.com/user/dppnerd/media/VIDEO0023.mp4.html

bucky_925
12-30-2012, 16:14
140 lb bullmastiff. He has to know he can't jump up and lick people. He is my second bully so I trained him myself. He can "place" his big butt on a "6 by "6 platform and at the word "under" he will hide under anything available. If I brought him to your house he would be a gentle giant toward your dogs, children or cats, however if you came to my house he would keep himself between you and my wife with the hair on his back standing on end. And that's the way I like it.

smokeross
12-30-2012, 18:42
My dog will track moose for me. Trained her on blood trails from 3 of my bow killed moose. (I've taken 16 with a bow) She will drag you to the carcass.
ETA: She is a Golden Retriever mix. Thinking the sire was Pyrenees.

THEPOPE
12-30-2012, 19:05
I have a 1.4 year old Yorkie terrier that is smart as a whip, listens and tries to obey and understand...doesn't get it sometimes, but always tries to please.....

Never been car-sick, goes outside having taken a bit of training, easily house-broken...not much of a 'yipper', except when a strange noise happens out-side, I trained her NOT to be a 'yipper'....

At over a year, she has mellowed slightly, still has tons of play in her, though...

She is a companion dog, not a guard dog, maybe an early warning dog for intruders, nothing more.

and we love her.

I am out.....woof,dammit........:cool:

TransAm-98
12-30-2012, 19:22
I have malamutes. In all the dogs I've worked with or trained over the years I don't know that I've ever had dogs so stubborn.

Agreed. We have a Husky/Malamute mix we rescued a few years ago. Extremely smart, probably she smartest I've owned. But extremely stubborn. She's trained really well now and does great off leash. Training was a serious test of my patience though.

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae94/Transam-98/528.jpg

Zonny
12-30-2012, 19:26
My dog will track moose for me. Trained her on blood trails from 3 of my bow killed moose. (I've taken 16 with a bow) She will drag you to the carcass.
ETA: She is a Golden Retriever mix. Thinking the sire was Pyrenees.

Dusty needs her 'pants' cut.

Steve in PA
12-30-2012, 19:49
Back in October, we lost our 8 year old GSD, Nikki to cancer. She was a very trained dog. She went through basic and advanced obedience and was also active in agility. All of her commands were learned in German, but she could heel, sit, down, come, etc on voice and hand commands.

Since her passing we have found ourselves with another GSD, Shadow. We got her at 5 1/2 months and is still learning her basic obedience. I told our trainer that there is nothing like a well trained dog. Shadow is a puppy and still learning, but a well trained dog is a great dog to have!

Big Bird
12-30-2012, 20:13
My current labrador will come and heel on command. He will walk at my side without a leash and not break for any reason. this year he has retrieved well over 200 ducks and geese including a 400 yard retrieve on a snow goose that just wouldn't quit. If a wounded duck dives he will stick with it and not quit until he has the bird in his mouth or I call him back. He sits quietly in the blind and LOVES his job.... Doesn't do blind retrieves worth a crap yet but he's young (2 years). He's become a great family dog and loves my daughter and other kids.

Max the wonder retriever with 6 limits of ducks (60 birds) he fetched on opening day this year in Arkansas.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff88/Shelbyskinner/IMG_0117.jpg

Huaco Kid
12-30-2012, 21:44
We got "Psycho Mutt" from the shelter when she was just a bit too old. She is very intelligent and knows the commands but, when you really try to get her to do something, you can actually see the wheels spin in her head: "Listen to him? Or, go get THAT dog that's in MY yard?"

The UPS guy now pulls into the driveway, throws a yellow slip out the window and drives away. (Did I mention that she REALLY hates the UPS guy?)

We live in the boonies, so her behavior is semi-acceptable.

I've seen her run down and catch a zig-zagging rabbit. I've seen her "go wolf" on groundhogs, that probably weigh more than she does, before they could get back to their holes.

No one will ever break into our house for an easy score.

< Her, and our old fat-cat actually play, in the house, when they think no one is watching. But, when we let the cat outside, he will pause and look around to be sure the dog isn't about to bolt out right behind him to "REALLY PLAY!" The cat doesn't like the "LET'S PLAY OUTSIDE!" mode.>

crand16rams
12-31-2012, 09:19
I'm currently surfing GT with daughter's bichon crashed against my leg, arm curled up so I can scratch his belly. Not sure who has trained whom...

Back up dog is a schnauzer, who minds well, except for not wanting to stop barking at strangers or vehicles outside in the drive. I'll take that, though, since I like the heads-up he gives me.

Bichon is useless other than extra body heat in winter...

jrd22
12-31-2012, 10:31
"Buster" is a 75 lb terrier mix pound dog that came with a thick file (three round trip adoptions). We've had some good dogs, some great dogs, and now Buster. Training, shock collars, you name it we've tried it, and he's still the stubbornest, most hard headed, one track (his) dog I've ever been around. Even our Black and Tan hound was easy compared to this one (and it took a 2X4 to the head to even get her attention (just kidding)). Must be something to that Karma thing, we're paying for something that's for sure. About his only redeeming value is that NO ONE is getting between him and my wife if I'm not around, and he's good getting in and out of the boats, dinghies, etc. and running off the deer (and anything else) from the property. He's also one of the most comical dogs I've ever seen, I guess it's one of those love/hate relationships:-))

xArcher
12-31-2012, 15:14
About his only redeeming value is that NO ONE is getting between him and my wife if I'm not around

Grew up with a 30 lb mutt. She adopted us, showed up the day we moved into a rental in Houston while our house was being completed south of town. It was the stereotypical, mommy can I keep him situation.

If there was one phrase this dog understood it was "Wait until your father gets home". She went on guard, and there was no way anything was going to get between her and her kids. My father was not abusive, but he could not even speak sternly to us ( 5 of us ) if she was around but she would lay at his feet as we watched TV as she mooched popcorn.

rahrah12
01-01-2013, 08:52
Both of my dogs did a great job training me...

OdinIII
01-01-2013, 09:22
Any great website forums on training dogs?

rohanreginald
01-01-2013, 09:55
Both of my dogs did a great job training me...

This ^^^

My dog is a master hunter that I trained with my wife. He is also one of my sons best friends. He has hunted and traveled all over north America. Still acts like ass when someone first comes through the door but I couldnt be happier.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

itisbruno
01-01-2013, 10:52

HERE (http://www.schutzhund-training.com/obedience.html)

and there are some good links HERE (http://www.dfwworkingdogs.com/links.asp)

jdavionic
01-01-2013, 10:53
He's an ankle biter...wrt size. He farts and has bad breath...perhaps I could claim that came from training?

dango
01-01-2013, 11:23
Gidget-So's , you want to know how well I'm trained ? I speak three , yes (THREE) languages , I help my mistress find my master when he's hiding , I test taste everything my owners cook( My culinary skills are second to none) , I am the first defence stage in the safety of my owners ,I hear all see all an....

Me-Gidget ! you on my computor again ? :steamed:
Gidget-I am quite handsome , loyal , playful and jus

Me- Gidget ! off the computor , NOW !

Gidget- How smart , (Well Trained am I ? How well trained are yoos ?
Me-GIDGET........!

Gidget- Got to now .......:shocked:
Gidget-Hmmmm? My owner's have some "Phobic" drool issues....!

dango
01-01-2013, 13:02
Gidget-Oh no , you ain't gettin off that easy !:supergrin:
As stated , handsome , loyal , playful and just a joy to behold ! Big brown eyes to die for !:supergrin:

I do not fetch , you threw it , you get it ! I even have my own "Lazy-boy" recliner by the fire place . Dog you say ? Dog this !

Me-GIIIDDGGEETTTT...! off , NOW !:steamed: Damn drool on my key pad !,,,:steamed:

Gidget- Well , got to go ! DOG ?:supergrin:

tallen122
01-01-2013, 13:16
We have an American Foxhound mix, not sure how old he is because we got him from a shelter. He's really smart, food driven but listens well. I would like to get him into a search group because when he gets on a scent he stays on it. Does anyone have experience with something like that?

itisbruno
01-01-2013, 13:19
We have an American Foxhound mix, not sure how old he is because we got him from a shelter. He's really smart, food driven but listens well. I would like to get him into a search group because when he gets on a scent he stays on it. Does anyone have experience with something like that?

Both AKC and USA (http://www.germanshepherddog.com/) have tracking competitions/training.

See if there is a local club in your area, most USA will not shun you because of the breed, they are in it to train dogs.

tallen122
01-01-2013, 13:41
itisbruno thanks for the tips. Your dogs are amazing looking and intimidating looking in the photos you posted. Lots of cool stories about mans best friend have come up on the post.

OdinIII
01-01-2013, 13:46
HERE (http://www.schutzhund-training.com/obedience.html)

and there are some good links HERE (http://www.dfwworkingdogs.com/links.asp)

Thanks.

RDW
01-02-2013, 13:44

MANY!

GOOGLE is your Friend.