Look what followed me home today... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Look what followed me home today...

QNman
12-29-2012, 20:05
So I went to the local funshow today. I was looking to maybe score a GP100, as that is currently only one of two Ruger model revolvers I do not own (the other is a security six). I brought my Glock 23 in OD green to perhaps sell or barter with.

I didn't see a single solitary GP100! I am looking for a 4-inch stainless, but didn't see so much as a blued, 2-1/2", 6", or any other variant whatsoever. (dangit).

So why am I posting this in the 1911 forum you ask? Good question...

I traded the Glock and $400 for this beauty...

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/1911-StainlessR-detail-hero.jpg

Obviously, this is a file photo, but it is NIB, and looks just like this.

I think I got a great deal. What say you, all? Particularly you, Bac... did I do OK?

Ruggles
12-29-2012, 20:20
I would have made that trade all day long :) Looks great, they make solid 1911s. Congrats.

sawgrass
12-29-2012, 20:43
Is that your first 1911?

QNman
12-29-2012, 21:13
Is that your first 1911?

Oh no... but it is my first Sig. I've had a couple of Kimber's, but they never really scratched my itch. I've had several others of various quality and price as well. I also currently have a Para that I'm quite fond of.

In the interest of full disclosure - I only paid $550 for the Glock. So all in, I'm at $950 for the Sig.

sawgrass
12-29-2012, 21:17
I'm not up on Sig 1911 prices but from the looks of it, I would guess that you got a great deal for a very nice looking gun.

Congrats!

glock2740
12-29-2012, 21:48
I recently bought my first Sig, which was also my first railed 1911. So far I'm really liking it. :cool:

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/1911%20pics/TacOps2.jpg

QNman
12-29-2012, 21:54
I'm going to break her in tomorrow... will let you all know what I think.

itstime
12-29-2012, 21:55
Nice. I like me some 1911. Enjoy. Looks like a beauty.

bushhogg
12-29-2012, 21:58
NICE 45 I can never find deals like that

sawgrass
12-29-2012, 21:58
I recently bought my first Sig, which was also my first railed 1911. So far I'm really liking it. :cool:

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac341/OU1911/1911%20pics/TacOps2.jpg

That's a nice looking gun too. I'm more attracted to clean lines and no rails, but Sig is producing a few railed guns that are really appealing to the eye.

glock2740
12-29-2012, 21:59
I'm going to break her in tomorrow... will let you all know what I think.
Can't wait to hear what you think about it. I was VERY impressed with mine. Your's a beauty. :cool:

glock2740
12-29-2012, 22:02
That's a nice looking gun too. I'm more attracted to clean lines and no rails, but Sig is producing a few railed guns that are really appealing to the eye.
Just ordered a Harrison Exteme short black solid for it. Should look alot cleaner with and a flush crowned barrel. :cool:

sawgrass
12-29-2012, 22:05
Just ordered a Harrison Exteme short black solid for it. Should look alot cleaner with and a flush crowned barrel. :cool:

I think both changes would really improve the lines.
You sure have good taste.

glock2740
12-29-2012, 22:16
I think both changes would really improve the lines.
You sure have good taste.
Thank you, as do you SG. :cool: Now I'll turn the thread back over to the OP and his new gun. Sorry OP. :wavey:

QNman
12-29-2012, 22:24
Thank you, as do you SG. :cool: Now I'll turn the thread back over to the OP and his new gun. Sorry OP. :wavey:

:rofl:

No worries. I, too, like the look without the rail... and if I'd have had my preference, I'd have gotten one without. But he didn't have a non-railed, so...

sawgrass
12-29-2012, 22:32
:rofl:

No worries. I, too, like the look without the rail... and if I'd have had my preference, I'd have gotten one without. But he didn't have a non-railed, so...

I'm diggin' the Sig with the rail. It caught my eye a few weeks ago on here. Looking forward to hearing how you like it.

BigDeeeeeeee
12-30-2012, 07:50
Congrats, looks great!

azbuckeye
12-30-2012, 09:22
Nice looking 1911......Congrats!

ca survivor
12-30-2012, 09:29
Congrats.

QNman
12-30-2012, 16:46
Well, she's been properly "broken in", as it were. The following is my impression of the Sig 1911R:

For comparison, I brought along my Glock 21SF and my moderately modified Para GI Expert (I know, I know... but I got it for $350 and I have been "learning" with it without concern as to whether I ruin it or not). All shooting was done freehand, indoors, from seven yards. Targets used were 8-inch Shoot-N-See's.

Ammo used in the Sig were 150-rounds of factory Blazer Brass 230g FMJ and 50-rounds of my own personal "powder puff" hand loads (230g Magtech FMJ over 4.0g of Clays, Winchester brass, Winchester large pistol primers - use at your own risk). The Blazer was used more for accuracy testing (comparative), while the handloads were to see if the Sig would cycle them (some .45's will not reliably).

First, I shot the Para - I've probably put 800 rounds thru the Para, so it's kind of a personal "baseline" for perceived recoil, muzzle flip, etc. I put three 8-rounds mags of Blazer thru the Para.

Next, I shot two 8-round mags through the Sig, using the same target as the Para. Right away, I noticed a couple of differences. First, the Sig had noticeably less felt recoil. I was a little surprised by this because the Sig only weighs 2.6 oz more than the Para (empty) according to their respective websites. And since I've replaced the mainspring housing in the Para with a Brown steel model, I would think it was even less. However, there is no doubt - the Sig FELT lighter in recoil to my hand.

A second thing I noticed was the Sig shot better than the Para, but I hadn't spent any careful aim, so I thought I'd weigh that more later.

I performed the same procedure, only this time started with the 21SF, followed by the Sig. Two sets of 10-rounds in the 21SF, followed by two sets of 8-rounds in the Sig.

The 21SF I have found to be one of the most accurate, softest shooting, most easily controlled .45 ACP pistols out there. I've tried a lot of .45's, from the XD and other polymers to several other 1911's, including a Colt 70-series, two Kimbers (including a Raptor II), a Springfield Loaded, and a couple others. TO MY HANDS, the Glock shoots easier and more accurate. YMMV.

HOWEVER, that shifted somewhat today... I truly wish I had some of the better 1911's from my past to compare today, because the Sig shot as comfortably TO MY HANDS as the 21SF... it surprised me.

Next, I moved to accuracy testing. Again, freehand, modified Weaver stance (don't start - it's how I shoot), strong-side. Seven yards, indoors. 5-rounds per mag, two mags. First, side-by-side with the Para.

No surprise - the Sig outshot the Para. The Para produced it's faithful 3-1/2" grouping in 10-ring, surrounding (but never quite striking) the bull. The Sig shot better; 2-inch group of 10 (with one called flier), but the group was centered about 1-1/2" to the left of the bull. (the 21SF faithfully shot a 2-1/2" group, punching the bull twice out of 10 and one called flier).

I asked the range officer if an armorer was in - there wasn't (it's Sunday). So, knowing the sights need drifting, I shot the rest, as-is, in full mag sets. Stronghand, weakhand, and double-taps. The gun performed without a hiccup. I even mag-dumped the last two, and was pleasantly surprised at how controllable the Sig was under rapid fire.

Finally, I put 50-rounds of my "powder puff" rounds through. In the interest of full disclosure, I load these "powder puff" rounds as light as will cycle specifically because I get the opportunity from time to time to introduce someone to our sport. Many have seen and/or heard of the vaunted .45 and want to shoot one. So to "break them in" gently, I roll some rounds that kick very little. The downside, of course, is while they reliably cycle my Glock, they do NOT always cycle other .45's

The Sig gobbled them up. Not a single hiccup, FTF, FTE, or any other flaw. Color me impressed.

What I DIDN'T do that I wish I had - I didn't bring any hollow points. If this thing cycles flying ashtrays as well as it cycles everything else, I may have to consider this as my "bedside companion".

All things considered - color me impressed. She's a keeper.

bac1023
12-30-2012, 17:29
You did well indeed.

Congrats! :cool:

glock2740
12-30-2012, 17:32
Cool deal man. I was very impressed with my maiden range voyage with my Tac Ops. :cool:

QNman
12-30-2012, 17:39
You did well indeed.

Congrats! :cool:

Thank you, sir.

QNman
12-30-2012, 17:41
Cool deal man. I was very impressed with my maiden range voyage with my Tac Ops. :cool:

I looked at the Tac Ops, and at the Scorpion... but I've always had a soft spot for stainless... :cool:

Deployment Solu
01-01-2013, 08:37
I like the clean lines too, but I like a light ON the gun, so I went with the rail. I have been disappointed with para, kimber, and taurus 1911s, but not the sig tac ops!!!

It will become my new nightstand gun with a light!!