What happens when ammo catches on fire? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What happens when ammo catches on fire?

shotgunred
12-29-2012, 23:15
Brought to you by SAMI
Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturer's Institute

SAAMI - Sporting Ammunition and the Fire Fighter - YouTube

Ruggles
12-29-2012, 23:19
Interesting :)

Sounds like popcorn popping.

USMCsilver
12-29-2012, 23:23
Neat find.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

M2 Carbine
12-29-2012, 23:25
What happens when ammo catches on fire?
It makes for a very interesting day.
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/CP2.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/Carb3.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/CP1.jpg

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/FRockchuckerand9mm.jpg

bigchuck83
12-29-2012, 23:57
what a lot of ammo lost. still interesting to watch though.

grg3d
12-30-2012, 02:00
So... thats were all the ammo went....:whistling:

NEOH212
12-30-2012, 02:08
It was sickening to see all that good ammo go to waste! :crying:

exmdshooter
12-30-2012, 05:53
It was sickening to see all that good ammo go to waste! :crying:

For real! :crying:

Resqu2
12-30-2012, 05:54
It still scares the crap out of you when your fighting a fire and don't expect it. It's the loaded guns that we have to worry about, seen a few gun safes with several holes in them over the years.

Jake Starr
12-30-2012, 09:34
What happens? Not much.

thejellster05
12-30-2012, 11:32
Great video!

Spiffums
12-30-2012, 11:47
Kinda like the whole GUN POWDER EXPLODES!!! yeah if it's under pressure......in a plastic jug or paper can it just like flames up and is done.

Cali-Glock
12-30-2012, 12:20
Interesting :)

Sounds like popcorn popping.

I was a bachelor for many many years before I got married. My buddies helped me get my house ready for marriage by doing a HUGE house cleaning, with several HUGE bonfies of my "treasures" (junk) from my house. They would pull out furniture, sweep everything up into a box and haul it out and throw it on the bonfire. Furniture, equipment, household goods, boxes of mixed junk and true treasures, it all went into the fires and consumed.... well mixed in with everything was a fair amount of loose ammo.

It was just like popcorn popping and absolutely harmeless.

The fire was so hot, the only things not consumed were a metal couch frame and some steel belts (wires) from some old drag tires. Everything else including all metals were consumed completely, so there was not even any exploded or melted brass left over for us to check out.

FullClip
12-30-2012, 12:38
Wicked cool video and I'm glad I'm someplace with broad band service so I could watch it.:supergrin: Great post!!

I did however notice that SAAMI shied away from tossing any 10MM rounds into the fire . If they'd done that it could have been TEOTHWAWKI for sure!!!:wow:

:supergrin:

Walter Bishop
12-30-2012, 14:35
If the ammo is not under pressure (like in a metal can) very little happens other then popping. Since the gas escapes in all directions (unlike in a barrel) there is little pressure. In fact the bullet will likely not move at all and the cases which are lighter than the bullet is what will move. But they will not be moving fast enough to penetrate your skin.

havensal
12-30-2012, 14:40
I'll share this with our dept. It seems that many don't understand how ammo reacts outside of a chamber. Thanks for the link.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Agonizer
12-30-2012, 15:02
If the ammo is not under pressure (like in a metal can) very little happens other then popping. Since the gas escapes in all directions (unlike in a barrel) there is little pressure. In fact the bullet will likely not move at all and the cases which are lighter than the bullet is what will move. But they will not be moving fast enough to penetrate your skin.

So is it explosive if stored in ammo cans?

I store my ammo in cans, so I have wondered about that.

The Fed
12-30-2012, 15:39
Nice video. I worked at an Army arsenal that hand-assembled primers. They kept "only" one pound of primer powder on hand in the building at any one time. It exploded. Killed everyone and blew the roof off the building.

In this same arsenal we had a powder magazine we used to store cartridge powder. In case of fire it was designed to blow upwards. Next to the magazine was a circular slide you jumped on and slid down to the ground. It was four stories high and rusty. We prayed we never needed to use it.

All this was when I worked there and they closed it around 1980. The place was there since before WWII, and it seemed little was done maintenance-wise.

Kingarthurhk
12-30-2012, 15:42
A fireproof safe is a good idea for ammo.

shotgunred
12-30-2012, 16:22
A fireproof safe is a good idea for ammo.

Not really. Fire codes call for a box made out of 3/4 inch plywood. That way it will just burn like in the video. A safe or a military ammo can would let pressure build up and then cause an explosion.

Grumpy Gardener
12-30-2012, 18:54
Great video Shotgunred. Thanks.

gg.

Caver 60
12-31-2012, 00:10
My brothers house fire several years ago involved quite a few thousand rounds of centerfire ammo, a lot of it stored in metal military ammo boxes, including quite a bit of 06 ammo still in the cans for his M-1. He also had several pounds of real black powder stored there.

He informed the firefighters immediately upon their arrival. They fought the fire saving a lot of the house, but the fire was on the end where the ammo was stored. A lot of it cooked off with some black powder explosions while the fire was being fought. No one was injured. I went over to help him go through the remains after everything cooled off and was safe.

We found one pound cans of black powder real close to where other cans had cooked off. The unexploded black powder was still fit to use. We found ammo that hadn't cooked off as well as lots of pieces of brass scattered around. The military ammo cans had just burst open but pieces of the can were still recognizable. We also found quite a bit of ammo that hadn't cooked off. It was still useable.

skeeter7
12-31-2012, 00:26
Very good video. I'll have to share that one with a few buddies of mine.