CCW criteria [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : CCW criteria

9mmmountaineer
12-30-2012, 00:34
What "tests" does your gun have to pass to qualify for Daily carry.

I'm caught between my new 3" 1911 and the awe of the size of the .45 , and the comfort and capacity of my m&p 9c.

Background: m&p 1,800+ flawless rounds 12+1 capacity with a 17 round back up mag of 124gr PDX-1 and amazingly comfortable in my white hat IWB holster.

Or Kimber 3"1911 that had the new factor 300+ rounds. 7+1 n230 gr golf dots with 1 back up 7 rd mag in the same white hat holster (switched kydex) that's not as comfortable but I can live with it.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

cowboy1964
12-30-2012, 00:42
Reliability, comfort, shootability, and a "big enough" caliber (which means, 9mm and up, or .38 Special +P in a pinch).

I would never carry a 3" 1911. Just too many horror stories about feed issues. Plus terminal ballistics are really pushing the low end, IMO.

GunHo198
12-30-2012, 01:03
Have it coated with Cerekote "Prison Pink". That way if you shoot a bad guy and he lives? He won't get any street credit because he got shot by a dude with a pink gun....

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

NEOH212
12-30-2012, 03:23
1. It has to not only fit to where it feels good in my hands but it must, "Shoot" well in my hands. I.E.- I must be able to hit where I'm aiming and do that with consistency.

2. I must be accurate with it enough to allow for head shots out to 25 yards.

3. It must cycle my choice of carry ammo reliably with no malfunctions. If it does malfunction, the cause must be found and the gun tested again for at least a full 50 round box (More is better) of the said ammo before I'd trust it.

4. It must conceal well and it's design must allow for me to carry it IWB and on the belt.

As far as weight or bulk, I've learned over the years that those things can be mitigated to some extent with the right belt and holster.

snatiep
12-30-2012, 09:41
I would never carry a 3" 1911. Just too many horror stories about feed issues. Plus terminal ballistics are really pushing the low end, IMO.

My 9mm Colt Defender has been 100% since day one. Not one issue. Beautiful little gun and a dream to carry!

Patchman
12-30-2012, 10:11
Here's my conundrum. The carry gun has to be 100-percent reliable. Which means that it's got to go bang every trigger pull. But the more often I shoot the gun (to confirm it's reliability), the closer it gets to a part(s) breakage (every mechanical part has a life cycle, etc...).

Yes, I have a second G19 that is used for heavy volume shooting (ie classes), which is great for learning skills, but it doesn't go towards proving the reliability of the carry gun.

Overthinking? Probably.

Bruce M
12-30-2012, 10:43
Between the 1911 and the M&P which do you shoot better? That might be the best way to answer this.

SCmasterblaster
12-30-2012, 12:53
My only criteria is that it is my G17 3rd Gen.