PDA

View Full Version : can you go to sleep on your own>

BEER
12-30-2012, 01:30
i can't i need at least a double shot of nyquil to get to sleep

Rabbi
12-30-2012, 01:32
Deadlifts/squats/bench....

If I do that every week a few times, I sleep like a baby. Oh, it is awesome. If I dont (or when I didnt) I cant sleep. I simply cant get to sleep and life is horrid.

cesaros
12-30-2012, 01:37
take melatonin if you need a sleep aid...atleast its naturally occuring in your body, rather than the crap thats in Nyquil o.O

proper eating habits will help fix your sleeplessness. and like Rabbi said, lift heavy things often and you will sleep very well :)

SGT HATRED
12-30-2012, 02:01
I need a fan for white noise. I used to not use one but since getting married my old lady introduced me to it and now if I don't have one I can't sleep

AK_Stick
12-30-2012, 02:04
Yup.

After being a soldier and deploying a few times, I'm pretty much able to sleep just about anywhere anytime.

Dalton Wayne
12-30-2012, 02:05
I have PTSD I have to take ambien and xanax in order to go to sleep

HerrGlock
12-30-2012, 04:13
Benadryl. I've taken it about every night for over 20 years now.

Used to take Tylenol PM until the damage to liver notices started coming out. Ambian causes "vivid dreams" as one of the side effects and I really don't need those.

I'm down to 1/2 dose of children's benadryl and doc says she's not even vaguely concerned if I have to take that for life.

snewsoG22
12-30-2012, 04:14
I have to hear a good bed time story myself.

fnfalman
12-30-2012, 04:17
I tend to fall asleep soon after watching pr0n.

MadMonkey
12-30-2012, 04:42
Yes. Getting up at 0515 and getting off work at 1800... every day... tends to tire you out :rofl:

I do, however, often have a "relaxation drink" (Drank, Serenity, Marley's Mellow Mood, etc) which are touted to have calming effects and ingredients (rose hips, lemongrass, chamomile, and others) before I go to bed. I'm sure they're placebos, but I believe in them hard enough that I go out like a light when I hit the pillow.

I also listen to music every night as I go to sleep. Apparently it helps me dream...

Bruce M
12-30-2012, 04:44
:rofl::rofl:

Sometimes I can't stay awake long enough to watch it.

TSAX
12-30-2012, 04:50

:rofl::rofl:

Sometimes I can't stay awake long enough to watch it.

:animlol:, this thread is worthless without links :whistling:

:50cal:

Bello
12-30-2012, 05:31
I know this will sound crazy but it's easier for me if the wifey is in the bed or one or two of my baby boys 1 and 3

Dennis in MA
12-30-2012, 07:49
Depends on the day. If stressed, I fall asleep in front of the TV.

I don't have trouble sleeping as much as I don't know if this is a night that ill just drift off or abject panic and frustration will creep in. Swer to fall asleep in front of the TV.

ArtificialGrape
12-30-2012, 08:28
Exercise is what works for me as well.

Insomnia was a problem when my days were too frantic to workout. I tried Ambien briefly, but I did not like feeling that I would not be alert if I needed to during the night, and while it helped me get to sleep, I did not generally feel rested in the morning. That was with the standard, not time released formula.

-ArtificialGrape

adamg01
12-30-2012, 08:32
I need a fan for white noise. I used to not use one but since getting married my old lady introduced me to it and now if I don't have one I can't sleep

Same here. My wife got me hooked on the fan.

Steel Head
12-30-2012, 09:25
Most every night I read for an hour then it's :countingsheep:

Harper
12-30-2012, 09:41

If I do that every week a few times, I sleep like a baby. Oh, it is awesome. If I dont (or when I didnt) I cant sleep. I simply cant get to sleep and life is horrid.

This. I'm a different person when I'm eating right and lifting regularly than when I don't. I image many people can't even remember the last time they ate a healthy diet and exercised regularly and don't even know how different their life could be.

TBO
12-30-2012, 09:44
Ear plugs if I have a problem, amazing how much help that can be at times.

pizza_pablo
12-30-2012, 10:07
Yup.

After being a soldier and deploying a few times, I'm pretty much able to sleep just about anywhere anytime.

This, only replace soldier with squid :supergrin:

Averageman
12-30-2012, 10:23
I get by with a little help from my friends.

Drain You
12-30-2012, 10:28
Yes but I have to be exhausted to go to sleep or I will just lay there forever thinking about things. That makes me toss and turn, get uncomfortable and get back up.

Mrs.Cicero
12-30-2012, 11:45
Many moons ago, I worked nights and went to school days. It gave me the ability to fall asleep anywhere, anytime, in any position, in ten minutes or less. I also fall asleep in the car like a baby. I wish my kids could do that... it drives me nuts when they get up two hours after bedtime to whine about not being able to sleep. It's not like there is anything I can do about it...

jbailey8
12-30-2012, 11:48
Yup.

After being a soldier and deploying a few times, I'm pretty much able to sleep just about anywhere anytime. Yeah, my wife doesn't get it. She's always complaining that she can't sleep because she's not comfortable or whatever. I tell her the quicker she realizes that comfort is a state of mind, the happier she'll be.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

FullClip
12-30-2012, 11:52
I'm back on a project, so no life except work. Get up at 05:30, go to bed around 22:00. Seven days a week NO problem sleeping.:yawn:

But trust me....that crap about "early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise" is pure bunk.:steamed:

Just makes me cranky and wonder how dairy farmers can deal with it forever.:wow:

For me....having a standard bed time and getting up at the same time every day works. If I sleep in on a day off, it throws me off kilter for a few days...so feet on the floor same time every day.

dango
12-30-2012, 12:03
Not with out my pink Teddy ! Don't mess with my pink Teddy , GOT IT ! :steamed:

devildog2067
12-30-2012, 12:06
This.

I'm no longer able to sleep literally standing up the way that I could in my active duty days, but I can still sit just about anywhere and go to sleep at will as long as I have something to shade my eyes.

Mrs.Cicero
12-30-2012, 14:00
Not with out my pink Teddy ! Don't mess with my pink Teddy , GOT IT ! :steamed:

As long as your snugglign up to it, and not wearing it!

G17Jake
12-30-2012, 14:31
I can fall asleep immediately. It is staying asleep that I have trouble with on occasion. Benadryl helps.

Cali-Glock
12-30-2012, 15:25
I get up at 0420... I normally fall asleep like a rock falling falling off the nightstand table... But those nights I can't fall asleep I typically nod off 0230 or so...

Annhl8rX
12-30-2012, 16:03
When I work nights (currently), I fall asleep without any problem when I get home in the morning. When I work days (soon), I'm perpetually exhausted. Something about knowing I HAVE to wake up when the alarm goes off (at a ridiculous hour) stresses me out to the point I can't fall/stay asleep.

1-2man
12-30-2012, 16:41
What's this sleep you speak of???? :yawn: While I obviously do get some sleep, I can't remember the last time I actually slept straight through the night. I refuse to take any sleep aid. The last three nights I have woke up at 2:13 and couldn't fall back asleep. Not sure what that signifies. :dunno:

Huaco Kid
12-30-2012, 16:51
Yes, without exception.

A good days work (especially when it's REALLY cold out -- that seems to zap all the energy out of me). I read in bed but only get about two pages each night and, boom, I'm out cold.

Y'all do too many drugs.

PBCounty
12-30-2012, 16:56
I require a moderate dose of liquor.

Glockgeezer
12-30-2012, 17:29
I can fall asleep immediately. It is staying asleep that I have trouble with on occasion. Benadryl helps.

This!!!

m2hmghb
12-30-2012, 17:38
I need my pain meds and muscle relaxants. If the power is out I use ear plugs.

VinnieG
12-30-2012, 17:40
Booze helps a lot. I don't remember the last time that I didn't have a few before bed. I know it prally ain't the thing to do but what ever works

carloglock19
12-30-2012, 17:54
The first week of deployment I take a swig of NyQuil when I hit the old rack, helps me go to sleep but doesn't knock me out enough that I won't be able to hear the alarms.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

jasonvp
12-30-2012, 17:57

How long before hitting the sack do you do your lifting Rabbi? Do you eat prior to the workout? Right after?

Personally: I have about a 3-4 hour spread between the lifting and crashing. And I have zero problems falling asleep.

jas

Rabbi
12-30-2012, 18:02
How long before hitting the sack do you do your lifting Rabbi? Do you eat prior to the workout? Right after?

Personally: I have about a 3-4 hour spread between the lifting and crashing. And I have zero problems falling asleep.

jas

If I dont have an odd shift at the PD (being part time, it can move around) I roll out of bed from 9-11am. I hit the gym about 1-2pm. I eat a little snack before and a meal after. While there is plenty I do, I dont have a "job" so it is awesome to go in the middle of the day. The gym is full of housewifes and few people are in the weight room.

I go to sleep between 1-3am.

jasonvp
12-30-2012, 18:07
I hit the gym about 1-2pm. I eat a little snack before and a meal after.

So small spread between workout and meal, and then almost 12 hour one before bed. Gotcha.

How do you find your strength at that time of day? I'm up at 0500 every morning and can do all sorts of cardio at that point. But find I'm physically the strongest in mid-late afternoon (1700 or so). It seems to jive with the generic circadian rhythms we supposedly have.

jas

Rabbi
12-30-2012, 18:12
So small spread between workout and meal, and then almost 12 hour one before bed. Gotcha.

How do you find your strength at that time of day? I'm up at 0500 every morning and can do all sorts of cardio at that point. But find I'm physically the strongest in mid-late afternoon (1700 or so). It seems to jive with the generic circadian rhythms we supposedly have.

jas

I dont know how I do, I just do.

It is just part of my rhythm. I wake up when I feel like it, take care of the dog, check things online for an hour or so then get dressed and go to the gym. I come home, clean up and then I actually start my day. I find I tend to have a real wonderful sense throughout the day with a workout behind me.

I only go to the gym three days a week. The days I dont go I tend to drag around if I have nothing else to do.

Altaris
12-30-2012, 18:13

I'm the opposite.

When I work out, regardless of time, it gets me so awake and wired the rest of the day that it takes me a good 45-60min to fall asleep. If I am injured and can't work out, I get into a lazy mode and can pretty much pass out at anytime I feel like.

Huaco Kid
12-30-2012, 18:21
When I work out, regardless of time, it gets me so awake and wired...

Ditto that.

If I play a 9pm or 10pm hockey game, there is a zero percent chance I will sleep that night, even though you would think it should be the exact opposite.

The operative word there is "wired".

bocephus549
12-30-2012, 19:45
I require a moderate dose of liquor.

This but I wake often!

Kevin108
12-30-2012, 20:30
I can't say this is true for everyone but most people who have trouble sleeping aren't performing enough physical activity during the day. Most of the people I've known who can't sleep...it's because Mountain Dew and video games don't really wear a person down.

HerrGlock
12-31-2012, 01:10
I can't say this is true for everyone but most people who have trouble sleeping aren't performing enough physical activity during the day. Most of the people I've known who can't sleep...it's because Mountain Dew and video games don't really wear a person down.

Then there are those of us who have trained for Iron and Half Iron distance triathlons for literally years and still sleep 2-4 hours without benadryl and 4-6 hours with.

Completely depends on the person. I'm not sure but I would imagine 1.5 hour bike rides 3X a week, 5 hour on weekends, 45 minute swims 3X a week and 1-2 hour runs 3X a week qualify as mildly working out.