Cabela's experience....... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's experience.......

LEO/Dad
12-30-2012, 08:38
My son just called about his gun buying experience yesterday morning at Cabela's in KC. It was a pleasant experience and very professional, considering the crowd. He said there were at least 75 people at the gun counter, with approximately 9 salesmen.

1-Arrived at gun counter 10:30 am. Took number 30. Counter was 0. Chosen to speak to friendly salesman at 11:40 am. Made selection of gun and taken to counter to do background check and paperwork. Told that they were busy, and that it would be a while. Given pager to be notified when done. Paged at 1:30 pm. to complete transaction and take new gun home.

2-Observations; 80% purchasing handguns.

3-Age; 50-60 years/couples.

We have a gun show in our town this weekend. I went yesterday with another son. The crowd was massive, in the thousands. Black rifles were $2000.00 +. There were only a few. A lot of interest in handguns also.

GreenDrake
12-30-2012, 09:06
I strolled through Cabelas the last few days to get some goodies for my gift cards, talked to the gun counter, they were still getting ARs in a few at a time, randomly. Just luck of being there when a truck rolled in with them. Plenty of ammo, no price gouging at all, Bushmasters for $729 and every other toy still available. Seemed to flow well no panic.

I did end up getting a Harris Bipod 25c for my Winchester .270, now it looks like one of them scary "high powered" military dealios the grabbers are so 'fraid of.

Dennis in MA
12-30-2012, 09:07
3 hours for a gun? Wow.

aircarver
12-30-2012, 09:09
My heart hasn't recovered from the 'normal' Cabella's prices on my last trip before prices generally went crazy ... :shocked:

HollowHead
12-30-2012, 09:16
My heart hasn't recovered from the 'normal' Cabella's prices on my last trip before prices generally went crazy ... :shocked:

Their sale prices are quite good. HH

racer11
12-30-2012, 10:53
Shooting buddy of mine was at Cabelas KC yesterday [sat] and said the place was a mass of people. He wanted to buy a scope and found a outfitter doing nothing in front of the scope selection. My buddy asked to see a scope "the doing nothing standing there outfitter" would not assist him but continued to just stand doing nothing and told him to take a number. He looked at the number spread and seen that he would be some 50 numbers down. He told the idle outfitter to go to "hell, I will purchase it online" and he left.

We both need some 22 lrs and the bulks packs were all gone off the shelves,,,What the heck is it with .22 anyway.

aircarver
12-30-2012, 10:56
We both need some 22 lrs and the bulks packs were all gone off the shelves,,,What the heck is it with .22 anyway.

It's all we can afford in the 'new normal' economy ? ... :frown:

econjon
12-30-2012, 11:32
Went to the local Cabela's on Thursday and it wasn't as crazy at the gun counter as I thought it would be. Then I noticed at one end they had a bunch of folding chairs setup with a person in every one of them, I guess waiting for their number to be called. That was at 2:30pm on a weekday.

I've got a good, cheap FFL in my area so have always done better buying online than buying at Cabela's, I mainly just look for deals on reloading supplies, etc.

silversport
12-31-2012, 04:31
In the suburbs of Chicago yesterday...visited Cabela's, GAT Guns and Gander Mountain...all three stores PACKED with gun buyers...add to that all the lookers (me)...I heard sales people behind the counters say that it is "like this every day."...WOW!...

Cabela's seemed busiest as they had a long line for people picking up their firearms...

Bill

Gallium
12-31-2012, 04:37
3 hours for a gun? Wow.

How long does it take to buy a Gen4 Glock in your state?

Or a Bushmaster rifle?

zukyota
12-31-2012, 06:59

Or a Bushmaster rifle?

Maybe 20 minutes.

GLWyandotte
12-31-2012, 08:20
I went to a Fleet Farm yesterday. Their ad showed 7.62x39, 1260/crate for $269.
They never even had them yet still ran the ad.

bear62
12-31-2012, 08:27

:steamed::steamed:

Cavalry Doc
12-31-2012, 09:28

Did they offer a raincheck?

It might be fun to take them to small claims court for the price of your gas.

Dennis in MA
12-31-2012, 09:35

Or a Bushmaster rifle?

Gen4 Glock - about 3 minutes. Bushmaster rifle? New or Pre-Ban? Pre-ban, 3 minutes. New? About 8.

:rofl:

(Hint: Pistol ban is a dealer ban. Plenty of "illegal" legal guns on the open FTF market.)

I haven't been to a gun store since the incident. I probably don't intend to. . . but have some guns to sell so I may force myself to take a trip to on of the larger LGS's and consign some pistolas.

Preban AR's are going for $2500-3500 now. Plain jane blond-wood Poly AK is over $2K. I ALMOST sold my Norinco underfolder 2 weeks ago for $1,500. The guy was trying to talk me down on it and I decided I didn't need to sell it THAT bad. I bet I could get $2,000.

I have to check my preban mag goody bags too. Betting I have too many magazines and those are going for a fortune as well. $60 for a steel AK mag??? $50 for a beat-up AR mag??? I gotta cash in!

Gallium
12-31-2012, 09:38
Gen4 Glock - about 3 minutes. Bushmaster rifle? New or Pre-Ban? Pre-ban, 3 minutes. New? About 8.

Go into an actual gun shop in your state and get back to me. There are lots of NICS delays due to demand volume.

oldguynewglock
12-31-2012, 10:02
Their sale prices are quite good. HH

I bought a new G17 Gen 4 FDE in St. Louis in October on sale for $549. Best I could find in Missouri at that time.

m2hmghb
12-31-2012, 11:20

Here that's bait and switch, our AG's office likes to screw with companies that do it.

ScottieG59
12-31-2012, 12:12
I stopped by Cabela's, Kansas City a few times in the last couple weeks. Normally, I will grab a number and do my shopping.
They get through the numbers very fast. Half of the people wander out of ear shot. Many ask for guns that are out of stock.

I normally look at ammo or one of the sale guns. Lately, I found several guns in stock at Cabela's that cost less than most online out-of-stock prices.

Many of the people in line are looking for their first gun and were not aware of what they really wanted.

If you have a Kansas CCL, you can avoid the very very long background check. Without much delay, I bought several handguns during the frenzy.

I was surprised to see they have trouble selling the Kahr, such as the PM9. I got one while there. It worked great with all the ammo I tested.

I also picked up a Glock 19 Flat Dark Earth and a Springfield Armory XDs. I had to use some discount coupons and did better than the online, but not in stock, prices.

They are now limiting .223 Remington and 5.56 NATO purchases to 10 boxes. They had some still on the shelves.

The buying frenzy seems to not be as bad, but, even with extra hours and help from the FBI, background checks take many hours.

I am done with purchases for a while.

carbuncle
12-31-2012, 12:43
I love Cabelas, I've had great service from them and never had a [problem with the stuff I've bought there. That's probably the only thing I really miss about being in Washington, the proximity to the Tulalip location.

gtrcivic
01-04-2013, 17:48
i wish there was a cabelas near me. I'm waiting on 3 backorders for ammo. Originally they said 4-5 wks and now i see it as Standard Express. So maybe it will be soon when my orders arrive.??

Cavalry Doc
01-04-2013, 18:18
Still waiting on my Ruger LCP 15 round magazine to ship.

Bought some reloading components at regular prices, Already had everything else I needed.

Glock20 10mm
01-04-2013, 18:19
3 hours for a gun? Wow.

Dude... I have to wait 10 days minimum, 3 hours would be heavenly!

Glock20 10mm
01-04-2013, 18:21
...What the heck is it with .22 anyway.

Excellent SHTF round. Cheap, easy to carry lots and it's quite effective plus many believe that should a ban occur the .22LR will survive the first go around.

How far will a .22 LR Kill? - YouTube

Gun Gripes Episode 19: Tactical vs Practical - YouTube

GLWyandotte
01-04-2013, 18:23
Did they offer a raincheck?

It might be fun to take them to small claims court for the price of your gas.

I did email the store. The GM contacted me, apologized and then watched inventory and shipments for 3 days. He called me two days ago with a spam can in a crate- 1260@$269.
I was thrilled, great guy, great service.

Cavalry Doc
01-04-2013, 18:29
I did email the store. The GM contacted me, apologized and then watched inventory and shipments for 3 days. He called me two days ago with a spam can in a crate- 1260@$269.
I was thrilled, great guy, great service.

Glad to hear it. I love it when a businessman cuts a guy a break as compensation for sub-par service.

Keep buying stuff from this guy. Recommend that your friends buy stuff from this guy. Post a link to his site again here so we can all reward good behavior.

Post the link, and I will buy something from him.

:cool:

F_G
01-05-2013, 14:33
Their sale prices are quite good. HHTheir "Sale" prices are higher than my LGS's "Normal" prices. Cabela's has a huge overhead they have to feed.

relayman
01-05-2013, 14:44
Our Cabelas isn't sky high on gun prices . The problem right now is that they are just too darn busy . Gotta catch them when the doors open or it's a long wait .

F350
01-05-2013, 15:31
We have a local owned gun store here in "The Grand Valley" of Colorado that has an extensive inventory of firearms. I was in there last SAT with the wife getting her a concealed carry purse. There were plenty of "Black Rifles" on the shelf, display cases full of handguns and stacks of ammo on the floor and a 1-1 ratio of salesmen to gun purchasers (actually a couple sales guys were just talking to what appeared to be regulars).

Been to the local Cabela's too and did not see any massive buying crowd; guess most folks here have already got what they need.