Soy vs rice milk [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Soy vs rice milk

bush pilot
12-30-2012, 10:41
I've got a friend that is lactose intolerant and suggested I might like either rice or soy milk. Are there any regular users of either here and why do you use it in lieu of cow milk? Health factors? taste?

elsolo
12-30-2012, 10:51
I love milk and cheese, but it makes me fart.
I'll still have pizza and such, the wife can deal with it.
I do use soymilk in cereal, or other non-indulgent uses.

Soy
Almond
Rice

I just pick by taste. I prefer plain soymilk over the others. Some folks like the vanilla flavored.

FullClip
12-30-2012, 11:06
The girlfriend made me try "soy milk" once.....and I just about gagged.:puking:

Until cows become extinct....I'll stick with the real stuff. I don't use a lot of milk, but it will be MILK for me, not the processed juice product of some vile plant.:supergrin:

But then again....milk is a processed juice of vile plants,,,,just done by cows!!

MrsKitty
12-30-2012, 11:14
I Picked up a quart of vanilla rice or soy milk this fall when it was part of a 5 for $5 at Earthfare. It's still in the fridge unopened. My intention was to use it as coffee creamer.

I was lactose intolerant for years. Bad. I was so sensitive that two sips of a cup of coffee with milk in it would send me running. I did Atkins for a year and the entire milk issue resolved itself. My doctors were amazed and it was not an actual milk allergy as I had been tested for that.

Weird. But I'm glad it worked out that way for me. :)

porschedog
12-30-2012, 11:22
I e been using soy milk in my coffee for several years now
I'm used to it and have no complaints
I tried almond milk but didn't like it

Zonny
12-30-2012, 11:23
Coconut or almond milk are preferential for me.

captainstormy
12-30-2012, 11:25
I use the "very vanilla" silk soy 'milk' on my cereal. Mainly just because it do sent go bad very fast. I never use up milk before it goes bad.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

porschedog
12-30-2012, 11:27
Btw, soy milk has a lot of Heath benefits, possibly even more than almond milk

hogfish
12-30-2012, 11:32
I tried rice milk and thought it was refreshing and didn't taste bad at all. It did not taste like milk, so I would not even try it in coffee or chocolate. I will try it in oatmeal. :)

Henry's Dad
12-30-2012, 11:41
I switched to organic unsweetened soy milk when I got serious about losing weight.

Fat-free cow milk has 12 grams of sugar per cup.

Unsweetened soy has one gram.

You get a little more fat (4 g to 0 g), but it's mostly polyunsaturated (good fat).

Phytosterols in soy also help prevent prostate cancer.

Some good comparative info here:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/soy-milk-vs-regular-milk-which-is-healthier.html

jeager
12-30-2012, 12:00
Soy might efeminize you.
Try Almond or Hemp.

Cali-Glock
12-30-2012, 12:23
http://ninja-fitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/almond-breeze-almond-milk.jpg

Almond milk for the win!

I even use it in lieu of milk in many recipes!

ColdSteelNail
12-30-2012, 12:30

Soy
Almond
Rice

I just pick by taste. I prefer plain soymilk over the others. Some folks like the vanilla flavored.

Thanks for the...uh...information.

itstime
12-30-2012, 12:33
ReAl only for me. Soy and vanilla are yuck to me. And always in the fridge.

nursetim
12-30-2012, 12:51
I defy anybody to show me a nipple on a soybean, almond, coconut, or rice kernel. Just saying we need to be accurate in our speech.

Goodrich
12-30-2012, 12:54
http://ninja-fitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/almond-breeze-almond-milk.jpg

Almond milk for the win!

i agree man, i love me some almond milk the sweeten vanilla is awesome not to sweet just right.

Patchman
12-30-2012, 13:06
My wife drinks soy and almond milk. I've never heard of rice milk until just now.

Foxterriermom
12-30-2012, 19:03
I've got an allergy to soy but really like the almond milk.

Fredder
12-30-2012, 19:54
I hate the fake milks. Lactaid Milk.
http://www.lactaid.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Branded+-+Lactaid&utm_term=lactaid&utm_content=sScUgoaib|pcrid|17431782133|pkw|lactaid|pmt|p

HollowHead
12-30-2012, 20:54
Soy might efeminize you.

I heard that too. There's something in soy that makes you grow boobs and have your nuts fall off. Same as bourbon. HH

ArtificialGrape
12-30-2012, 21:50
I was never a milk drinker, but when I gave up dairy I began using almond milk on cereal or in recipes. I prefer unsweetened unflavored (not vanilla), but I'll pick up the vanilla on occasion when it's on sale.

-ArtificialGrape

Viper16
12-31-2012, 06:53
I use to be a huge milk drinker as a kid. Nowadays I gotta watch the fat intake. With that being said, my wife and I tried to keep a half gallon in the fridge and use it up before it went bad. We were always throwing half empty jugs away. SOY has a much longer shelf life in the fridge and packs more calcium.

Now for the taste...SOY is definitely different and I will not drink it straight from a glass, only mix it with recipes or cereal. It will never replace a glass of cold real milk for me.

I don't always drink milk, but when I do, I choose 2%. Stay thirsty my friend.

goldenlight
01-01-2013, 00:59

Soy
Almond
Rice

Vanilla flavored soy milk.

I'm lactose intolerant, too. I've never poured a glass to actually drink it, but it tastes really good on cereal.

Most mature cheeses are 'safe' to eat. Mozzarella cheese is not a mature cheese.

Lay off the cow's milk, or you'll find yourself in the bathroom, with vomiting and diarrhea. It's no fun, when it happens simultaneously. Trust me on that one.:whistling:

Trapped_in_Kali
01-01-2013, 01:04
My wife has problems with dairy, she has drunk all the different non-milks. She preferred Soy Silk. She has now started drinking "Lactaid Milk" which she has no problems with. She can also eat Raw Cheese and Goat cheese.

Landmonster
01-01-2013, 01:08
Soy might efeminize you.
Try Almond or Hemp.

This. Soy has bad phytoestrogens in it. Drink all you want if you want to chemically castrate yourself.

jp3975
01-01-2013, 02:39
Almond is the best tasting and coconut isnt bad.

Foxtrotx1
01-01-2013, 03:27
I prefer not to drink the breast milk from an animal that has multiple stomachs.

But it does taste good.

There may be something to the feminizing soy thing...I dance ballet.

BuckeyePPC
01-01-2013, 09:38
I drink Mexican Horchata which is made from rice. I've never had any of the rice or soy milk in the stores, though. I really enjoy the Horchata with cinnamon. Can anyone tell me if Horchata tastes like the store rice milk ?

Foxtrotx1
01-01-2013, 11:38
I drink Mexican Horchata which is made from rice. I've never had any of the rice or soy milk in the stores, though. I really enjoy the Horchata with cinnamon. Can anyone tell me if Horchata tastes like the store rice milk ?

kinda, not really. horchata is thinner, more refreshing, much sweeter and 3 times as amazing. :supergrin:

elsolo
01-01-2013, 11:40
If you took rice milk, added equal volume of refined sugar, then it is nearly identical.

dango
01-01-2013, 11:49
Since the rise of MONSANTO , the only thing I drink now is 100%
totally organic and produced by me ! 2 cups spring water , 1/2 cup pure organic "Dirt" home grown of course , with young immature pine needles , fresh wild black berries , blend well !

Mud shake.

Harper
01-01-2013, 12:12
Soy is an incomplete protein. If you like the taste it's fine but I wouldn't drink soy milk because you think it will bestow needed health benefits.

WT
01-01-2013, 12:21
Soy is bad for men.

Your testicles shrink, your ***** disappears, you grow breasts, and you feel an urge to talk about 'feelings'.:rofl:

HollowHead
01-01-2013, 12:24
Soy is bad for men.

Your testicles shrink, your ***** disappears, you grow breasts, and you feel an urge to talk about 'feelings'.:rofl:

...and watch Dr.Oz. HH

jakebrake
01-01-2013, 12:31
Soy might efeminize you.

also loaded with oxilates. if you are pre disposed to making kidney stones, soy will load you up on them.

when that becomes an issue, let me know, i know a way or two to help with them.

Slug71
01-01-2013, 14:42

Almond milk for the win!

This.
The Silk brand is good too.

I won't touch Soy here because of Monsanto.

dcc12
01-01-2013, 16:08
Coconut or almond milk are preferential for me.

I prefer coconut over the almond but both are good.

somebodybuymeaglock
01-01-2013, 16:24
I prefer soy milk over other dairy alternatives. Some brands are organic, and some have the 'no-gmo' label, though these may be harder to find in Wally-World. I like Kikkoman brand over Silk.

I dont drink any kind of milk, and I'm lactose intolerant. I mostly use it for cooking.

If your friend wanted to they can make their own milk with nuts. I've also seen people make ice cream with nuts.

jakebrake
01-01-2013, 16:28
Soy is bad for men.

this is actually somewhat true, as it contains high levels of estrgen. however, before it renders you a steril worthless androgenous shim, you need to drink a butt load of it.