Backwoods Skiers Help ! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Backwoods Skiers Help !

dango
12-30-2012, 13:48
I was just surfing the web and was looking to up-grade my back woods ski equipment and am speechless at the cost of the new "TELEMARK" style bindings .

Any body know where I might find some used stuff ? I got the skis ,just need bindings ! Help.......!:shocked:

dango
12-30-2012, 14:51
For those of you who may not know what I'm talking about , It's not cross country or resort down hill but , Back wood powder ,
virgin snow , fire trails , old gas well roads , logging roads or some times , right through the forest it's self.

The skis: They are similar to down hill but more flexible and made to carve rough terrain , ice snow etc. ! They have steel edges like down hills but also have strap on climbing skins or other devices for vertical climbing or level shuffling.

Does that help ? Like James T Kirk , to boldly go where others don't !.........Help !

PS: Anybody know what a helicopter turn is ? If you do , you know what I'm talking about !

dango
12-30-2012, 15:13
Well , since I'm talking to myself , guess I remind myself !

Helicopter turn : I used to go out in the wilds for weeks at a time . Large capacity back pack and some times 100 lbs. .
A helicopter turn is when you try to carve a sharp quick turn
but , the weight of your pack decides to go straight .
The helicopter turn consists of the pack draggin you with it and you go tumbling down the mountain with skis flapping like the blades of a helicopter , thus , "HELICOPTER TURN" . .....:supergrin:

Man , I am getting old . :shocked:

dango
12-30-2012, 18:30
Ok , I give up , I'll do more research but thanks .

Happy New Years Fellow Glock-la-dites...........:supergrin:

Grumpy Gardener
12-30-2012, 18:34
Having had lived in the Tahoe Basin and Glenwood Springs areas I'd tell you your best bet is to call some of the consignment sporting goods stores there. If 3 pins what you're looking for most old schoolers run their gear through the consignment shops.
They'll point you in the right direction.

gg.

FLIPPER 348
12-30-2012, 19:50
Ok , I give up , I'll do more research but thanks .

Happy New Years Fellow Glock-la-dites...........:supergrin:

Ebay is your friend. Do you live near a ski town?? If so they have used/consignment shops a'plenty. Here in the postcard town of Bend you can't swing a dead cat w/o hitting one.

Goldendog Redux
12-30-2012, 19:59
Find some G3 Targas. I have a couple pair and they are bomber.

http://www.genuineguidegear.com/gear/bindings/targa

What kind of skis do you have?

What do you want to do? Scoot around the flat? Tour and bag big lines in the backcountry?

MF

dango
12-30-2012, 21:00
Ebay is your friend. Do you live near a ski town?? If so they have used/consignment shops a'plenty. Here in the postcard town of Bend you can't swing a dead cat w/o hitting one.

I live in the middle of absolutely no-where ! Not near anything , don't even have Mail service but do live where there are small mountains and surrounded by wilds everywhere ! Can't even order a pizza but , it's the way I love it !

To answer the other question on what kind of skis ?
They are made by "TRUCKER" out of Colorado and the the model is "The Mountain Edge" . The skis are in great shape but the bindings are shot.

My wife had a t-shirt printed just for me , "Follow at Your Own Risk"
That's what kind of skiing. Don't let my age fool you. Once a maniac
all-ways a maniac....! Yeap , night or two in the wilds , why not ?
No kiddie hill here !

Huaco Kid
12-30-2012, 21:07
I live in the middle of absolutely no-where ! Not near anything , don't even have Mail service but do live where there are small mountains and surrounded by wilds everywhere !

The skis are in great shape but the bindings are shot.

Duct tape.

dango
12-30-2012, 21:11
Duct tape.

^^ :rofl::rofl: I wish......! :supergrin:

FLIPPER 348
12-30-2012, 21:13
I live in the middle of absolutely no-where !

That's what kind of skiing. !

I wish I lived more remote but this little town will have to do. I'm a knuckle-dragging snowboarder having surfed my whole live from 9-35 and now pushing 50 (three months away) I just go for big turns, a bit of backcountry and teaching beginners classes. All my boards (K2 El Durados with Klicker bindings) have 'Follow me to Certain Death' stickers.

Search EBay for what you need.

Huaco Kid
12-30-2012, 21:23
All my boards (K2 El Durados with Klicker bindings) have 'Follow me to Certain Death' stickers.

My dirt bike has one of the (old, uncool) "No Fear!" stickers on it.

Except, I took an Xacto knife and cut off the "No" part.

dango
12-30-2012, 22:09
I wish I lived more remote but this little town will have to do. I'm a knuckle-dragging snowboarder having surfed my whole live from 9-35 and now pushing 50 (three months away) I just go for big turns, a bit of backcountry and teaching beginners classes. All my boards (K2 El Durados with Klicker bindings) have 'Follow me to Certain Death' stickers.

Men after my own heart , I love it ..........:supergrin:

FPS
12-30-2012, 22:25
Check out Telemark Talk.

http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/index.php

Restless28
12-31-2012, 05:22
You skiers should plan a trip to my town in December each year. Unclaimed Baggage is located here, and they have an annual ski sale.

If you don't know Unclaimed, they are the largest retailer of lost luggage and gear from the airlines.

The ski sale is epic. People come from all over the country to line up for a chance to buy some great gear.

Green Dragoon
12-31-2012, 07:00
fellow free-healer here. :wavey:

dango
12-31-2012, 07:02
You know it is a sad thing that we , The adventures , adrenaline
freaks can't even pass on our tales or knowledge because there are just to many non-believers ! I have always been pretty much met wit scrutiny or dis belief when just trying to tell the the tale.

Seems like the only one's I can even talk to are the people who truly know me , Oh well , I know how you feel !

When my day comes , they can all stand around a try to figure why I died with that ****-eating grin on my face ! :supergrin:

Hummer
12-31-2012, 07:23
I just sold some telemark boots yesterday via Craigslist. They were like new, just didn't fit my big feet. The number of ski equipment listings on CL is huge, cruise to your hearts content.

We went for a short ski yesterday along the river outside our cabin. Good snow, blue skies, just beautiful. We're supposed to get some fresh snow today, even a couple inches would freshen the surface and make for perfect conditions. Today we're skiing up to the Brainard Lake area to look for White-tailed Ptarmigan....

paynter2
12-31-2012, 07:48
I live in the middle of absolutely no-where ! Not near anything , don't even have Mail service but do live where there are small mountains and surrounded by wilds everywhere ! Can't even order a pizza but , it's the way I love it !

To answer the other question on what kind of skis ?
They are made by "TRUCKER" out of Colorado and the the model is "The Mountain Edge" . The skis are in great shape but the bindings are shot.

That's what kind of skiing. Don't let my age fool you. Once a maniac
all-ways a maniac....! Yeap , night or two in the wilds , why not ?
No kiddie hill here !

Get creative. You,obviously, have internet access. You should be able to find ski shops via the yellow pages. Check the towns/cities near ski areas. If the first shop doesn't have what you want, they will probably tell you who does.

I can't order a pizza, cops are 30 minutes away, nearest town is 30 miles - but I can get anything I want over the internet.

Fire up boy - with your attitude you'll fall on your skis and have to dial 911 to get back up! :wavey:

dango
12-31-2012, 07:58
Get creative. You,obviously, have internet access. You should be able to find ski shops via the yellow pages. Check the towns/cities near ski areas. If the first shop doesn't have what you want, they will probably tell you who does.

I can't order a pizza, cops are 30 minutes away, nearest town is 30 miles - but I can get anything I want over the internet.

Fire up boy - with your attitude you'll fall on your skis and have to dial 911 to get back up! :wavey:

Right you are ! I started looking at new stuff and my jaw hit the floor . Fall on my skis ...? :supergrin: Anyone who falls on their face is a good thing ! Anyone who falls on their butt should reconsider ping pong !...:supergrin: You know ! Thanks
and I'm at it between Posts .!

My life's motto : If it don't move , climb it, ski it or eat it ! :supergrin::supergrin:
If it does move , sex it , drive it or kill it and eat it !

PS: 911 , what's that ?

paynter2
12-31-2012, 09:17
Right you are ! I started looking at new stuff and my jaw hit the floor . Fall on my skis ...? :supergrin: Anyone who falls on their face is a good thing ! Anyone who falls on their butt should reconsider ping pong !...:supergrin: You know ! Thanks
and I'm at it between Posts .!

My life's motto : If it don't move , climb it, ski it or eat it ! :supergrin::supergrin:
If it does move , sex it , drive it or kill it and eat it !

PS: 911 , what's that ?

Good man! Now maybe you can help me? I woke up this morning and reached to take a dental appliance out of my mouth (keeps me from grinding my teeth). It wasn't there!

I've torn the bedroom apart and can't find it. The only thing I can think is that I sleep walk! I"ll have to put up my trail cam in the hallway to see if I do! LOL

Damned - now I'll have to call the dentist and order another one. It's like a light-weight football tooth guard. Damned - I hope I didn't swallow it! Just kidding - you'd choke on it if you tried to swallow it. But, it's driving me crazy - it has to be around here someplace! Sometimes I'm a real moron. :rofl:

dango
12-31-2012, 09:43

Now being understood , yes I am getting older ! Have you ever heard of a ski "BUSHWACKERS" ? These are a very stiff , short ,
55cm. and made to get you from point A to point B no matter what the geo. under foot .

Dubble-Tapper
12-31-2012, 12:10
t-markers? those goofy old guys making super slow turns with a free heel?

hahaha jk... i have a few tele friends... they always have the most conditioned legs.... and the most haggard knees. if you really cant find any used stuff PM me and i can definitely source you some used stuff from friends.

dango
12-31-2012, 12:26
t-markers? those goofy old guys making super slow turns with a free heel?

hahaha jk... i have a few tele friends... they always have the most conditioned legs.... and the most haggard knees. if you really cant find any used stuff PM me and i can definitely source you some used stuff from friends.

That free heel thing is ONLY when flat landing or ascending.
These old truckers , ain't nothing slow about them and you are locked in (Heel-n-TOE) on the decent ! Slow turn ? 90 lbs pack , narrow trail , trees on both sides , the taste of adrenaline ,
a pact made with GOD himself , more than once , let me survive this , OK then , slow :whistling: it is......!:supergrin:

jtull7
01-01-2013, 18:56
For all of you macho dudes who like to ski out-of-bounds or in the trees:

My fellow search and rescue compadres had this slogan:

What is harder than a tree?

A frozen tree.

devildog2067
01-01-2013, 18:59
For all of you macho dudes who like to ski out-of-bounds or in the trees

It's not about macho, it's just fun.

Huaco Kid
01-01-2013, 19:02
For all of you macho dudes who like to ski out-of-bounds or in the trees:

My fellow search and rescue compadres had this slogan:

What is harder than a tree?

A frozen tree.

Q: How many passes and receptions can Sonny Bono make on one downhill run?

A: We'll never know.

dango
01-01-2013, 19:08
I was weened on ice and snow and the only thing harder than a
frozen tree is my stubborn thick skull ! :supergrin:
Been skiing some 50 , FIFTY , PHIPHTY yeah , years and here I still am !

I would absolutely love to tell people some of my adventures but , you would had to have done these things to relate so's I will spare you !:supergrin:

Sonny who ? Clint Eastwood-"A mans got to know his limitations".

dango
01-01-2013, 19:54
Well , I dun it ! Found some bindings , got the old one's off and waiting for the true Santa to come by. That would be the FED-X guy. The skis are really in good shape considering.

They have their scars like me but they are made of the same plastic as in a common milk container. Patching and tuning skis is really quite easy. As long as the steel edge is there and sound,
they'll probably out live me !............:supergrin:

dango
01-01-2013, 20:20
You skiers should plan a trip to my town in December each year. Unclaimed Baggage is located here, and they have an annual ski sale.

If you don't know Unclaimed, they are the largest retailer of lost luggage and gear from the airlines.

The ski sale is epic. People come from all over the country to line up for a chance to buy some great gear.

There is life ! :supergrin:Where exactly is "Solsbury Hill" ? Can I bring my pistolas to play ? I've taken an early retirement so's anything is possible !......................:supergrin:
And no , I worked my butt off to get here , no 'WELFARE-CASE" !
Life ain't nothin but an adventure ! Somebody made mention of "MACHO" , I solo so's Macho got nothin to do with it !
Do I feel extra cool doing it , DAMN right I do ! :supergrin:

Restless28
01-01-2013, 20:23
Dango, Unclaimed is in Scottsboro Alabama.

dango
01-01-2013, 21:14
Dango, Unclaimed is in Scottsboro Alabama.

Been to Alabamy , Florence , Muscle Shoals , to be honest, not one of my more adventurous places. But then , I really didn't know where to go !
I did once by there buy a six pack , beer . It was a "DRY" county
and I'd bought a six pack.

This is the way it went down ;I met this sweet southern bell and she was fascinated by my lack of accent . She had told me where we could find this "Devil's" brew. We (in the total stealth mode) venture to a man's house , knock on the door , she exchanges verbiage and we then go to his garage. True story now , he goes to the far wall and pushes an old fridge away from the wall to expose a hidden niche in the wall.

Pay dirt , various six packs. I buy one at reasonable cost but,
He says we must drink it there , in his garage. Well , Ok .
I share the beer with all there and I buy another six.

After 4 sixes , he breaks out a masons jar of clear liquid !
:supergrin: Smooth like water ! The last thing I remember is my ears getting hot , great liquid in that thar jar ! :supergrin:

I woke the next morning in the dirt ! Not too bad a hangover
and did I sex that girl ? I have no idea !.........:supergrin:

ithaca_deerslayer
01-01-2013, 21:54
The bindings are probably in a lot of ski shops. Google would find them.

I've only skied the East. Been in a foot of fresh stuff, but no more than that downhill. But up to that much was fairly common. 6" of cement will do you in :)

Also do x-country in my own fields and woods.

Was a ski instructor, had a couple friends who taught free-heeling, but I never did it. Isn't a helecopter turn just jumping up free from the deep snow and doing a 180? If so no big deal.

dango
01-01-2013, 22:01
The bindings are probably in a lot of ski shops. Google would find them.

I've only skied the East. Been in a foot of fresh stuff, but no more than that downhill. But up to that much was fairly common. 6" of cement will do you in :)

Also do x-country in my own fields and woods.

Was a ski instructor, had a couple friends who taught free-heeling, but I never did it. Isn't a helecopter turn just jumping up free from the deep snow and doing a 180? If so no big deal.

I am sixty years old and in my day , the "Heli" turn was as I explained it but then who knows , things change . When in (TOW) catching air with a heavy pack is to say , not desirable. To catch air with 90+ lbs. is surely a face plant break job...............:shocked:

PS: I also was an instructor but kept getting fired , could not keep my hands off some of the inviting snow bunnies ! Yes , we are talking through out the seventies , and yes , I am getting old but the child in me is alive and well ! (SMILEY-FACE).