Navy may allow recruits to keep cell phones [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Navy may allow recruits to keep cell phones

WarCry
12-30-2012, 15:03
I have a friend that works at Great Lakes in Chicago for the recruit depot. Just found out they were told that recruits will be allowed to keep their cell phones throughout initial entry training.

Don't know if it's accurate or not, but I trust the source I heard it from.

I think it's just a bit on the absurd side, if true.

4Rules
12-30-2012, 15:56
It's not as silly as it sounds. Monitoring their electronic communication is an excellent way to see into the minds of those recruits naive enough to employ it.

Glockin26
12-31-2012, 00:04
No news here. Army gets their phones too. Better pull out those stress cards to our opposition saying its too much to handle. Marine recruits head to boot with nothing but ID cards and clothes on their backs.

Annhl8rX
12-31-2012, 00:14
I see no problem with it.

cowboywannabe
12-31-2012, 00:36
todays military.....God help the warriors who have to tow the line for those whose umbilical cord has not been cut.

NEOH212
12-31-2012, 03:20
Good God Almighty!

People can't drive a car while talking on the phone let alone fly a fighter jet or steer a ship!

:faint:

Master Chief: Why did that nuke miss the target and hit a thousand miles off course?

Navy Man: See ya in a bit KK...

L.

I'm sorry, did you say something?

:rofl::rofl:

Fox
12-31-2012, 05:54
An unnecessary distraction.

Bren
12-31-2012, 08:22
No news here. Army gets their phones too. Better pull out those stress cards to our opposition saying its too much to handle. Marine recruits head to boot with nothing but ID cards and clothes on their backs.

The Army doesn't have stress cards, which never actually existed, and they don't get to keep their cell phones. Last time I was at basic training? 2012, Ft. Sill, OK.

Cell phones are held by the drill sergeant and, usually once a week on Sunday, they are handed out when the privates are allowed to call home. Why? Pay phones are relatively rare in 2012, compared to when I went to basic training in the 80's. Also, marching your troops half a mile to stand in line for phone calls wastes a LOT more time than letting them all make a cell phone call at the same time - phone time then take minutes instead of hours. When I was in basic training, we could make a phone call a lot more often than they get to now, at the pay phones beside our battery (we could also smoke, chew and drink coffee - I started drinking coffee in basic training and my father started smoking in Air Force basic). Are their units at Ft. Jackson that let them keep the cell phone locked in their locker and turned off, isntead of being locked up by the drill sergeant? Maybe, but I guarantee that, even at Jackson, they pay if they violate that rule.

If the Marines stand in line for pay phones instead of handing out cell phones, that's a pretty dumb way to do it and wastes both recruits' money and training time.

I have never met a soldier who has ever seen a stress card, including guys who have been drill sergeants from the 80's to now. Snopes calls it a myth (http://www.snopes.com/military/stresscards.asp), saying the the Navy issued stress cards during the 1990's, but the card wasn't something you hold up to opt out of stress, it was a list of people you can contact, like the chaplain.

U.S. Navy stress card:
http://67.19.222.106/military/graphics/stress.jpg

As for the Army issuing stress cards, “It’s definitely a myth and definitely needs to be put to bed,” said James Walthes, a former commandant of the Drill Sergeant School at Fort Jackson, S.C. (http://www.stripes.com/blogs/the-rumor-doctor/the-rumor-doctor-1.104348/did-the-army-ever-issue-stress-cards-to-recruits-1.151803)

syntaxerrorsix
12-31-2012, 08:51
Deleted... Bren covered it.

oldsoldier
12-31-2012, 14:55
I remember a stress card that the chaplains handed out in the 80s. You put your finger on the dot and it changed color to indicate how much stress you were feeling. You were then supposed to think of something relaxing, take deep breaths, take a break, etc. Most of us considered them a novely. I was a SFC assigned to an OSUT training BN at Fort Leonard Wood at the time. I don't remember them being handed out to the recruits. Maybe that is the type of stress cards people are talking about. I just did an internet search and you can still buy them.