Whatever happened to militias and separatists and stuff. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to militias and separatists and stuff.

Bren
12-30-2012, 17:43
This is not a POlitical Issues thread, in my opinion, because I'm not asking about their political opinions or whatever.

What I want to know is, where did they go?

During the 1990's, the news was full of stories about militias and white separatists and anti-government movements and nuts in compounds and the like. I expected even more in the last 4 years, but we haven't really heard significant news about any, not even the KKK.

I figure maybe:
1. The all quit and went home. That seems unlikely, given the current government and economic situation.

2. The press is intentionally refusing to cover them. That would make sense, since it might show dissatisfaction with The Leader and be destructive to their policies...but Fox and more "on the right" news sources aren't saying anything either.

or

3. They were never real to begin with and the press made a few guys in the woods here and there sound like a massive anti-government movement, in order to create fear and, thereby, sell airtime. Having once been a member of "gang," complete with our own turf, that didn't really exist and was the creation of the local newspaper, I can see that possibility.

Any idea what the deal is?

fusegsp
12-30-2012, 17:46
Maybe they quit advertising themselves and went underground. Where was the one you always used to hear about? Was it Michigan?

Dragoon44
12-30-2012, 17:51
Maybe they can't afford the gas to make it to the meetings out in the woods anymore.

:rofl:

countrygun
12-30-2012, 17:54
Therre were only 4 actual "groups" of about 6 members each, They disbanded when Discovery, History, and Food channels gave them their own shows.

G36's Rule
12-30-2012, 17:57
I've always thought that for the majority of these labels, the media manufactured most of the boogiemen.

Mr Spock
12-30-2012, 17:58
Not sure but after Ruby Ridge and Waco, and now recently with the demonization of anyone right-wing or libertarian as a possible domestic terrorist, they'd try to keep a low profile and hope to not end up on the government's or media's radar.

syntaxerrorsix
12-30-2012, 18:03
The information age brought bad publicity.

A cursory search of popular survivalist forums would indicate that movements have gone underground as our political and economical situation worsens.

M2 Carbine
12-30-2012, 18:04
Since it is so easy to learn EVERYTHING about you with this internet, cell phone, electronic book keeping, etc, age, I suspect if there are any smart groups out there they don't come to places like GT and express their feelings about the powers that be.

Fox184
12-30-2012, 18:08
Hell, where have you been?

Currently the FBI and other alphabet agencies consider white, conservative, pro constitution, gun owning males as the biggest threat to this country.

We are all terrorists/militants/anti-gov in the feds eyes. You don't need to be a member of a militia, etc. If you meet the above criteria you are a threat to this country according to those dumbasses.

M2 Carbine
12-30-2012, 18:11
Currently the FBI and other alphabet agencies consider white, conservative, pro constitution, gun owning males as the biggest threat to this country.
You forgot "Veterans". Veterans were al

barbedwiresmile
12-30-2012, 18:22
Option 3.

Militias of the 90's, much like white supremacist movements of the 80's and 'domestic Islamic terrorists' today, were largely FBI creations, consisting mostly of agents provocateurs, paid informants, and the occasional sub-100 IQ dumbass.

ChuteTheMall
12-30-2012, 18:24
They collapsed when the FBI informants stopped paying dues.

Gunny Lingus
12-30-2012, 18:24
When GW Bush got elected, they thought they had won, and I suppose most lost interest. Most of it was because of Clinton, and the direction he wanted to take the government.

A few groups were infiltrated by agent provocateurs, and some people were charged. That took the wind out of their sails.

Most are members of FrugalSquirrels.com, and sit around on the internet posting about themselves being great patriots, the rest of us are sheep, and one of these days, government is going to go too far.........

Fox184
12-30-2012, 18:28
When Nobama won the first time the servers at stormfront.org crashed from all the new activity, that should tell you something.

Rabbi
12-30-2012, 18:37
When Nobama won the first time the servers at stormfront.org crashed from all the new activity, that should tell you something.

There is a lot of the traffic on stormfront that is people watching the zoo that it is.

Hell, I am a semi regular reader over there. It is sometimes interesting, sometimes epic and sometimes scary to read how they react and think about things.

NEOH212
12-30-2012, 18:43
Maybe the ones that are the real deal finally figured out it was in their best interest and the best interest of their cause to keep their mouths shut and lay low. :whistling:

TactiCool
12-30-2012, 19:23
Here's the ADL's list of extremist groups:

http://www.adl.org/learn/ext_us/american_front/default.asp?LEARN_Cat=Extremism&LEARN_SubCat=Extremism_in_America&xpicked=3&item=american_front

relevent events I remembered that happened recently:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/27/hutaree-militia-members-conspiracy-charges-dropped_n_1383390.html

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2012/08/7_suspects_in_st_john_deputy_s.html

So it doesn't seem like those groups have gone away, but those groups have probably been impacted by an increase of .gov intelligence gathering capabilities. And maybe many of them were even rooted out, under the MSM's radar? Who knows, with gov't. surveillence expansion under DHS, and elements like COINTELPRO, it makes sense that they could have been more easily discovered and infiltrated. Not to mention the expanded powers gov't. has under FISA, NDAA, and the Patriot Act.

http://vault.fbi.gov/cointel-pro

HollowHead
12-30-2012, 21:00
There is a lot of the traffic on stormfront that is people watching the zoo that it is.

Hell, I am a semi regular reader over there. It is sometimes interesting, sometimes epic and sometimes scary to read how they react and think about things.

The old stormfront was even better. It showed just how low society can get. HH

DanaT
12-30-2012, 21:23
Therre were only 4 actual "groups" of about 6 members each, They disbanded when Discovery, History, and Food channels gave them their own shows.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You made me laugh.

John Galt
12-30-2012, 22:11
The first rule of fight club is....

DanaT
12-30-2012, 22:22
Bren.

We have received your membership application and are reviewing it. Please have some patience.

DanaT
12-30-2012, 22:22

Bring beer money?

lunarspeak
12-30-2012, 22:32
most are still around but instead of calling themselves militias they are doomsday preppers.

Random
12-30-2012, 23:16

Never had the reason or the balls to disagree with you before, but it is ALWAYS interesting to read how these guys think and react to events. The pseudo anonymity of the internet gives you a glimpse into living rooms in houses in neighborhoods in towns some of us would never get to go to.

JimBean
12-31-2012, 00:55
The last time I heard the term militia in the media sources was when Glen Beck had a caller on his show that identified himself as a militia member. Glen Beck asked are you part of a good militia or a bad militia. Unless militias raise their profile any time soon, you probably will not see or hear mention of them.

Bren
12-31-2012, 05:09

Now they make duck calls and weld crappy quad-mounts on collectible guns?

Bren
12-31-2012, 05:14
Hell, where have you been?

We are all terrorists/militants/anti-gov in the feds eyes. You don't need to be a member of a militia, etc. If you meet the above criteria you are a threat to this country according to those dumbasses.

I get "The Intelligeence Report" from the communists at SPLC in my office, complete with maps and lists of all conservative "hate groups" - hate being everything from have a rebel flag to opposing the income tax, according to them. (Heck, I've even been to a Morris Dees speech, but I got paid for going). Maybe I should actually read the IR and I'd get an answer.

Bren.
We have received your membership application and are reviewing it. Please have some patience.

Application, hell. I apparently helped create a very large one many years ago. All I really did was draw and screen-print a logo on T-shirts for our local group that the papers called a "gang" then a member moved elsewhere and used the logo I created, from which came the name, etc., etc. I'm probably on an FBI list somewhere, but they still let me fly.

Then you've probably noticed a member or two here, proudly flying white power symbols as avatars and sigs that most people wouldn't know enough to recognize.

dango
12-31-2012, 05:51
They are still there but much smarter and quieter. It doesn't pay to be out right cause then they know who and where to look .

The first Amendment is in a shambles and only used as a marker,
used to target those who have something to say.

The second Amendment is at attack constantly and being rewritten to fit the oppressor's needs.

The third Amendment will also fall by the wayside as the failing second Amendment opens the door for this to happen , illegal search and seizure , confiscation of all that was yours!

The fifth Amendment is the one to live by now . Don't let them know anything !

Fox
12-31-2012, 05:59
Tim McVeigh acted on the revolutionary rhetoric of the anti-gov't militia kooks. The militia kooks all ran for cover because they had no popular support.

That terrorist incident took the wind out of their sails.

GAFinch
12-31-2012, 08:40
Some may have decentralized their living situation after Waco but the biggest factor is that the liberals had a media monopoly back in 1990’s, so they could largely say whatever they wanted. Internet and Fox News both popping up around 1998 changed this.

Bruce M
12-31-2012, 09:11
Bren.

We have received your membership application and are reviewing it. Please have some patience.:rofl::rofl:

Now they make duck calls and weld crappy quad-mounts on collectible guns?:rofl::rofl:

My guess is that some of them found out that anarchy did not work any better for their group than it does in places like Somalia. My guess is that some of them got tired of suggesting for a decade or two that gun confiscation is only days or perhaps hours away. My guess is that some of them ran out of money and energy. And my guess is that a few of them are still out there.

kirgi08
12-31-2012, 09:22
Nowhere,they just learned ta shut their mouths.'08.

ithaca_deerslayer
12-31-2012, 09:38
Never had the reason or the balls to disagree with you before, but it is ALWAYS interesting to read how these guys think and react to events. The pseudo anonymity of the internet gives you a glimpse into living rooms in houses in neighborhoods in towns some of us would never get to go to.

Rabbi is wrong more often than he leads you to believe :)

Your mention of the internet makes me think of sonething. I wonder if the internet makes militias less needed today.

I imagine a guy joined in the past so he could find some buddies to talk to who felt the way he did. They'd go somewhere, take their guns, do some shooting and talk about how bad the government was.

But nowadays, who needs the militia? We are the Glock Talk militia. We talk about guns and bad politicians, and then when we go shooting if we want to share we can post pics.

I looove you guys :)

Averageman
12-31-2012, 09:41
Membership in one of those was probobly a good way to meet some undercover federal agents.
I enjoy reading some of the stuff, just to get an idea of where some of these folks are comming from.
As far as being a Member, well I have enough friends and enough secrets. I keep them to myself.

Rabbi
12-31-2012, 10:55
Then you've probably noticed a member or two here, proudly flying white power symbols as avatars and sigs that most people wouldn't know enough to recognize.

Yes. Yes I have. People of all kinds of leanings like to toss out their codes and colors.

10-4
HUA
Semper Paratus
Shalom
So mote it be
Newtons 3 yo (not sure how to throw a physicist gang sign :rofl:)

inthefrey
12-31-2012, 11:00
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c1/Janet_Reno-us-Portrait.jpg/220px-Janet_Reno-us-Portrait.jpg

DanaT
12-31-2012, 11:27
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c1/Janet_Reno-us-Portrait.jpg/220px-Janet_Reno-us-Portrait.jpg

Muslim getting 40 virgins have nothing on getting some of that ^

CanMan
12-31-2012, 11:28
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c1/Janet_Reno-us-Portrait.jpg/220px-Janet_Reno-us-Portrait.jpghttp://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQYZgW4iOkJAfI0Zv_tlXiskWey6FgA5gWyN79JljerLHu7Fu4

I don't know 'bout all that Separatist & Militia stuff, but I think I've just met sister and brother. Must be a conspiracy theory.

vart
12-31-2012, 12:23
They all lost 50lbs and now no longer qaulify to be militia members??

GRIMLET
12-31-2012, 12:51
They disintegrated and its members are now a part of the Patriot Movement or have finally gone crazy and are calling themselves Sovereign.

I bet you knew that already. Didn't you Bren.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

carbuncle
12-31-2012, 12:54
Never had the reason or the balls to disagree with you before, but it is ALWAYS interesting to read how these guys think and react to events. The pseudo anonymity of the internet gives you a glimpse into living rooms in houses in neighborhoods in towns some of us should never have to go to.

Fixed it for you! :wavey:

I remember one time back in the 90s, when there were still shooting pits out beyond Lake Stevens in the Everett suburbs: me, my gf and a few buddies brought ALL of our guns out to the pits for a Saturday afternoon of fun. We get out there and hear some rimfire popping and pseudo-military instructions being yelled out from another pit nearby, and start shooting some pistol rounds. Mr. Militia comes around from the next pit to give us a dirty look, wearing full Vietnam-era uniform clean and pressed like it's the Washington Militia combat fatigues. He repeated the filthy looks a few times until we brought out three 12 gauges, several revolvers, several semi-autos and a .30-06 hunting rifle and started safely commencing the serious range work (and pumpkin blasting). The last time he came around he was greeted by half a dozen armed, rangy-looking people rocking the firing line and looking none too kindly upon the frequent stinkeye applications: somehow we didn't see him again for the rest of the day.

ltj9296
12-31-2012, 16:09
I think a lot of people lost interest after the Oklahoma federal building bombing.

MrGlock21
12-31-2012, 16:55
2. The press is intentionally refusing to cover them. That would make sense, since it might show dissatisfaction with The Leader and be destructive to their policies...but Fox and more "on the right" news sources aren't saying anything either.

The press has been too busy demonizing other evil groups like the Tea Party while the other side was busy calling out the Occupy Wall/Whatever Streeters

Rick C
12-31-2012, 18:20
Now they make duck calls and weld crappy quad-mounts on collectible guns?

You know the quote is what you wanted.

As long as it is not taken seriously, Duck Dynasty is sort of funny and the chicks are cute.

Happy Gnu Year:tongueout:

NorthCarolinaLiberty
01-07-2013, 18:37
Just ask people like Daryl Johnson. He'll claim militia membership has gone through the roof. Redefinition + emotion makes the propaganda world go around.

Andy123
01-07-2013, 18:58
You know, this does bring about an idea.

Combine very few actual militias with a lot of .gov types looking to make the new bosses happy and viola, the next great reality TV show - the reverse militia sting.

Get four or five guys together, put together an over-the-top web page with a few videos of FX's and then see how many fed agents / provacateurs you can get to sign up, while secretly filming them, while all of the "members "stay on just this side of the law, they see how much illegal stuff the feds will suggest.

Reality TV gold, I tell you. You read it here first.

TBO
01-07-2013, 19:30
http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/ia4eaa11c0.jpg

Glock_Convert
01-07-2013, 19:33
Two words: Janet Reno

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

TBO
01-07-2013, 19:49
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-QlNyYia735g/Txj38ih4RFI/AAAAAAAADTQ/QuV3ZBHqXUI/s1600/IMG_0127.jpg

RagnarDanneskjold
08-30-2013, 15:32
They are still there but much smarter and quieter. It doesn't pay to be out right cause then they know who and where to look .

The second Amendment is at attack constantly and being rewritten to fit the oppressor's needs.

The third Amendment will also fall by the wayside as the failing second Amendment opens the door for this to happen , illegal search and seizure , confiscation of all that was yours!

Ummm... I think you mean the fourth amendment, there. Unless you really spend a lot of time worrying about them quartering soldiers in your home. Search and seizure is amendment four, not three. :wavey:

ETA: Ooops, did not intend to revive dead thread. Apologies.

Stevekozak
08-31-2013, 06:44
This is not a POlitical Issues thread, in my opinion, because I'm not asking about their political opinions or whatever.

What I want to know is, where did they go?

During the 1990's, the news was full of stories about militias and white separatists and anti-government movements and nuts in compounds and the like. I expected even more in the last 4 years, but we haven't really heard significant news about any, not even the KKK.

I figure maybe:
1. The all quit and went home. That seems unlikely, given the current government and economic situation.

or

3. They were never real to begin with and the press made a few guys in the woods here and there sound like a massive anti-government movement, in order to create fear and, thereby, sell airtime. Having once been a member of "gang," complete with our own turf, that didn't really exist and was the creation of the local newspaper, I can see that possibility.

Any idea what the deal is?
The gubment killed them all and gave their stuff to the freeloaders in our entitlement society.

Stevekozak
08-31-2013, 06:44
Option 3.

Militias of the 90's, much like white supremacist movements of the 80's and 'domestic Islamic terrorists' today, were largely FBI creations, consisting mostly of agents provocateurs, paid informants, and the occasional sub-100 IQ dumbass.
Or this. :wavey:

Bruce M
08-31-2013, 13:30

I have to admit - that, there is some excellent Constitutional scholarship.

RagnarDanneskjold
08-31-2013, 14:10
I have to admit - that, there is some excellent Constitutional scholarship.

:rofl:

Yep, that's what made me reactivate the old thread. Had to point it out, didn't even realize how old the thread was.

NMG26
08-31-2013, 14:42
The internet happened.

We are all right here typing away what we will do when the time comes.

TBO
08-31-2013, 20:05
The internet happened.

A bit of truth there. Tons of active bloggers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 4

Dave514
08-31-2013, 20:34

This^ and they started calling themselves Preppers and going to TEA parties. That way the blend in with a larger group seen as slightly more benign.

Cali-Glock
08-31-2013, 20:38
Why are you associating militias and the patriot movement with white separatists? Buy into the leftist lie much?

Dragoon44
08-31-2013, 20:53
The internet happened.

Kind of like many pre civil war southern secessionists ran their chops about what they would do when the time came.

During the war one of their fellow secessionists who was a newspaper editor commented,

"many of those that proclaimed their willingness to fight to the last drop of blood have shown themselves unwilling to shed even the first drop. "

Bren
08-31-2013, 20:56
I was about to post "hey, that's what I've been asking since Obama got elected" - then I saw this was my thread resurrected.

Whatever happened to those guys, anyhow?

NeverMore1701
08-31-2013, 21:05
We just don't talk about it publicly anymore.

Wait a minute.......

cowboywannabe
08-31-2013, 21:17
we have, er um, I mean they havent had any .22lr ammo to practice with in a long time....

ChuteTheMall
08-31-2013, 21:42
If you have to ask, you weren't invited.:tongueout:

RagnarDanneskjold
08-31-2013, 21:44
I think they all buried themselves in time-locked nuke-proof bunkers to wait out the Obama presidency, emerge and rebuild in the ashes.