Help with SW 1911? Please [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help with SW 1911? Please

Combat_Tupperware
12-30-2012, 20:51
Hello all, I picked up a used SW 1911. Kind of odd things going on with it was hoping some of you guys could help.

1. I purchased this gun used for $900.
2. The slide has NO maker marks anywhere on it the person I bought it from says it was refinished, possible?
3. There is a hole on the underside of the slide where the firing pin safety plunger is normally found, is this missing or is it designed this way?

I've yet to fire it and due to the issues i've found am considering taking it to a gunsmith unless you guys have information.

Serial# JRJ6***
http://imageshack.us/a/img507/5121/photo3zwm.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img14/580/photo2kr.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img843/8096/photo1zc.jpg

texmex
12-30-2012, 22:21
The firing pin safety is supposed to be in the hole in the slide. The firing pin safety was not part of the original (John Browning/Colt) design. It is not unusual for the firing pin safety to have been removed by a previous owner. Lots of Smith & Wessons had rather large markings on the slide (usually referred to as "billboard" markings) and again, not unusual for them to have been polished off. None of these things would stop me from shooting it. It is never bad advice to have a gunsmith look the gun over if you are not knowlegeable about 1911s.

Combat_Tupperware
12-30-2012, 22:26
Thank you for the reply. After doing a search for how to disable the firing pin block I kind of figured that's what happened. I've located 3 of the 4 parts neccessary to get this going as stock again. I'm not big into guns that have been modified where the manufacturer intended for there to be safety devices.

It looks like I need the firing pin plunger and plunger spring, I am not convinced that the firng pin safety lever has not been dremeled down a couple thousands of an inch and I'll replace that as well. From reading it looks like there is also a plate that is normally there that is inserted from the top (requiring sight removal), is this correct?

FLIPPER 348
12-30-2012, 22:27
The only thing I would worry about is the black mark over the sn. The Sc is a good base weapon and the removed is only a +

Combat_Tupperware
12-30-2012, 22:44
lol the black mark was applied in MS Paint just to cover up the last 3 its not really like that. You guys don't think a removed FP safety is a bad thing?

FLIPPER 348
12-30-2012, 23:38
none of my 1911s have them and they all work just fine. If the previous owner did the swap correctly than rock-on. I had a Sc when they first came out, good stuff and a great base to work with.

fnfalman
12-31-2012, 01:46
You guys don't think a removed FP safety is a bad thing?

It all depends:

A. It doesn't affect functionality, so no, it's not a bad thing.

B. You have to shoot somebody and maybe the district attorney want to railroad you, they can claim that you took away a safety item. I personally don't subscribe to worry about this sort of thing but plenty of others are running scared of modding their guns from stock because of it.

banger
12-31-2012, 10:30
The safety is one thing, but I must say that in my opinion you drastically over paid for the pistol.

Particularly one that has been modified and refinished.

For that kind of money, you should have been close to buying one new in the box, or at least pristine condition.

Sorry....but that is truly my opinion.

itstime
12-31-2012, 10:39
I would leave the safety out. That's a nice looking gun.

Combat_Tupperware
12-31-2012, 13:54
Thank you everyone for the information. S&W is closed until January 2nd so when they open i'll call and order the replacement parts should be about $5 lol.

The safety is one thing, but I must say that in my opinion you drastically over paid for the pistol.

For that kind of money, you should have been close to buying one new in the box, or at least pristine condition.

Sorry....but that is truly my opinion.

No reason to be sorry about your opinion. I looked around at my local gun stores and all they really have are the E series for $1250+ I found a used one like the one I bought from budsgunshop.com for $882, figured with a transfer i'm right around $900 anyway. I don'd mind the logo not being there its actually kind of cool, the safety kinda pisses me off that I have to order the parts but for $5 and a weeks wait I probably still wouldn't have got the one from Bud's in lol.

If you know of some places where I can get NIB or good condition of this same type model please let me know because i'll buy another.

Jim Watson
12-31-2012, 22:19
I'll be surprised if they sell you those $5 parts.
They will probably say their expert gunsmiths need to fit them.

Heck, when the guns were new on the market, S&W didn't always get them right, and a number went back when the proud owners found that they could depress the grip safety a little light, pull the trigger and have the hammer fall without clearing the firing pin.

Y'all be careful, now, you hear.

Combat_Tupperware
12-31-2012, 22:38
I'll be surprised if they sell you those $5 parts.
They will probably say their expert gunsmiths need to fit them.

Heck, when the guns were new on the market, S&W didn't always get them right, and a number went back when the proud owners found that they could depress the grip safety a little light, pull the trigger and have the hammer fall without clearing the firing pin.

Y'all be careful, now, you hear.

I sincerely hope that's not the case. In the parts list it's marked with an X indicating standard part and not "R" for restricted. I guess I wouldn't be surprised lol.