Firearms Insurance [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Firearms Insurance

klt1986
12-30-2012, 21:05
Anyone recommend any specific firearms insurance companies? I'm in the NRA and my homeowners covers some but it's still not enough. The extra "rider" on my homeowners policy is going up and I'd like to shop around. Any suggestions?

kf4zra
12-30-2012, 21:13
only wondering, will a firearms policy cover the guns if they are confiscated?

klt1986
12-30-2012, 21:57

Interesting question.

EKUJustice
12-30-2012, 22:22
collectinsure no sn needed

camelotkid
12-30-2012, 22:41
well insurance does not cover in the case of war, and if they are confiscating we will be in a war if I have anything to say about it. :whistling:

M2 Carbine
12-30-2012, 22:54
How much will an increase in your personal property coverage cost?

I figure personal property coverage covers all personal property, including guns. Where as additional gun coverage will cover only the guns.

For instance, one time I needed the personal property coverage for mostly property and another time I needed the personal property coverage for the guns and personal property.
Lucky there was enough to go around.

tarpleyg
12-31-2012, 06:35
You can get cheap insurance through the NRA. Since you're already a member you can get it. Also, as an NRA member, you should already have some amount of free insurance but you may have to opt-in to take advantage of it.

LEO/Dad
12-31-2012, 06:49
I recently updated interior pictures of our house after our remodel this year. I included individual pictures of all my guns.....hmm. how many? We keep these pictures in our bank safety deposit box. We just have homeowners insurance, but taking pictures is recommended by our insurance people. I wrote the serial numbers on the back of each photo.

HexHead
12-31-2012, 06:59
How much will an increase in your personal property coverage cost?

I figure personal property coverage covers all personal property, including guns. Where as additional gun coverage will cover only the guns.

It depends on the company, and on the policy form, but generally, specific categories of personal property like jewelry and guns have specific limits. Like $5000 coverage for that category or $3000 for any one piece. Above that, you need to have it scheduled. Even if you have $50,000 personal property coverage.

Read your policy and don't assume you're covered.

tarpleyg
12-31-2012, 07:02
I recently updated interior pictures of our house after our remodel this year. I included individual pictures of all my guns.....hmm. how many? We keep these pictures in our bank safety deposit box. We just have homeowners insurance, but taking pictures is recommended by our insurance people. I wrote the serial numbers on the back of each photo.

If you haven't already done so, read your policy because it probably only covers a low dollar amount specifically for firearms. Most homeowners' policies are like that. You can buy a rider through you current insurer but it's often more than the policy you can get through the NRA. Lockton Risk Services (NRA endorsed insurer) does not require you to list serial numbers or anything else unless you have very expensive collectible items.

klt1986
12-31-2012, 07:24
It depends on the company, and on the policy form, but generally, specific categories of personal property like jewelry and guns have specific limits. Like $5000 coverage for that category or $3000 for any one piece. Above that, you need to have it scheduled. Even if you have $50,000 personal property coverage.

That is the way my homeowners policy is written as well. To add coverage in addition to the standard policy amount, I have to add a rider. The price for this additional coverage has significantly went up and you purchase it at a fixed price per $100 of coverage.

I do have the $2,500 from the NRA that I opted in for but I need more. I can add more through the NRA company at a pretty reasonable rate but just looking for others experiences.

M2 Carbine
12-31-2012, 07:42

Read your policy and don't assume you're covered.
I hear this all the time but I've never seen it, with four companies, over the years.
Over the years I have made 4 large claims, including my gun shop burning to the ground in 1995.
EVERYTHING was covered at replacement value (on paper I actually made a lot of money from the curent value of the personal property coverage)

I wonder if how the insurance is written is somewhat controled by the state?

Yes, read your policy and if need be have it explained to you in great detail by the insurance company. Don't just assume you have full gun coverage or that you don't have full coverage.

Currently I am with Allstate. Recently, because of a thread like this, I sat down with Allstate again and had them explain what gun coverage I had. Guns/etc. are covered to the full limit of the personal property coverage (as has been the case in the past)
A state thing?

tnedator
12-31-2012, 07:51
That is the way my homeowners policy is written as well. To add coverage in addition to the standard policy amount, I have to add a rider. The price for this additional coverage has significantly went up and you purchase it at a fixed price per $100 of coverage.

I do have the $2,500 from the NRA that I opted in for but I need more. I can add more through the NRA company at a pretty reasonable rate but just looking for others experiences.

I recently did some similar research.. A name that I kept seeing coming up in various forum threads for several years now is Eastern Insurance -- http://www.historicfirearms.com/.

They are both cheaper than the NRA and cover more. You only have to give a schedule of firearms for guns valued at over $10,000 (each, not total) and they also cover things like optics, leather/holsters, range bags, reloading equipment (not reloading components) and the like. They pay replacement value when you have a claim.

Their minimum policy is $125 for 35,000 in coverage that has a $100 deductible.

I did what others suggested, and talked to Jack Richardson at Eastern Insurance and came away very impressed.

You can google Eastern Insurance Firearms and you will find a bunch of forum threads about their insurance and how it compares to the other options.

The Fed
12-31-2012, 08:02
If they are confiscated they are not covered because they weren't stolen.

redbaron007
12-31-2012, 08:40
Most HO policies are the same....with some minor changes...and depending on the state.

They all cover firearms. However, depending on the loss, determines the coverage. Generally, firearms, jewelry, money have a specific coverage when it comes to THEFT. If your home should burn or be blown away, your personal property limits will apply then, not the theft limits. You firearms are only covered by the named perils in your policy. If you loose it while hunting, ie you leave it on the tailgate and drive off and it falls off and you can't find it, there is generally no coverage...not a named peril.

Many companies offer a 'rider' or 'personal articles policy' that provides ALL coverage, except what is excluded, generally wear/tear on the product and manufacturer defects. You will have to itemize the firearms and provide a replacement cost, then they will be covered for that amount, if the loss is not caused by an excluded event.

If you have several guns, the rider or personal articles policy is the best way to go, usually cheaper than the NRA...plus the NRA is excess coverage, meaning you will still have to file on your HO and receive their money before it will extend coverage....it's called secondary coverage.

I would encourage you to call your agent and inquire about this coverage from your specific company. It's generally very affordable.

:wavey:

red

tnedator
12-31-2012, 09:00
Most HO policies are the same....with some minor changes...and depending on the state.

They all cover firearms. However, depending on the loss, determines the coverage. Generally, firearms, jewelry, money have a specific coverage when it comes to THEFT. If your home should burn or be blown away, your personal property limits will apply then, not the theft limits. You firearms are only covered by the named perils in your policy. If you loose it while hunting, ie you leave it on the tailgate and drive off and it falls off and you can't find it, there is generally no coverage...not a named peril.

Many companies offer a 'rider' or 'personal articles policy' that provides ALL coverage, except what is excluded, generally wear/tear on the product and manufacturer defects. You will have to itemize the firearms and provide a replacement cost, then they will be covered for that amount, if the loss is not caused by an excluded event.

If you have several guns, the rider or personal articles policy is the best way to go, usually cheaper than the NRA...plus the NRA is excess coverage, meaning you will still have to file on your HO and receive their money before it will extend coverage....it's called secondary coverage.

I would encourage you to call your agent and inquire about this coverage from your specific company. It's generally very affordable.

red

Around here, with State Farm, you can spend literally a few bucks per six months to up the firearms coverage to the max, which is $5000, I think. However, I believe the standard deductible (for many around $500) applies.

Then, you get the personal articles policy for firearms, which is $2 per $100 of coverage, but if I remember correctly, it's zero deductible. You don't have to schedule your firearms unless you want to specifically list some on the firearms riders, with the zero deductible.

So, let's say you wanted $10,000 in total coverage, you would pay a few bucks (literally, maybe $10-20 or something like that) to the maximum amount (let's say it's $5,000, which I think was the case here), and then you buy $5,000 on a personal rider, which costs $100, so you are looking at something like $120 a year, for $10,000 in coverage, with a $500 deductible on one of them. So, if you have a single Glock stolen, and it isn't scheduled to be on the personal rider, then you basically foot the bill yourself, because of the deductible. However, if you are robbed and lose $10,000 worth of guns, you pay the deductible once and get reimbursed for all.

This is one of the reasons I saw so many people recommending Eastern Insurance. No scheduling. $125 to cover the vast majority of people's list of guns ($35,000), $100 deductible per claim/incident, whether one gun or 20, plus covers all of your accessories, glass (optics) and other gear.

Also, you get a 5% discount if you are a member of the NRA (or about a dozen other shooting related organizations). They seem to be a big supporter of the shooting sports, and insure major gun shows and gun stores as well as consumers.

P.S. I am in NO way affiliated with Eastern Insurance, but after spending a lot of time researching home owners insurance options and NRA Armscare Plus, they are not in the same class as Eastern's coverage.

redbaron007
12-31-2012, 11:11
Around here, with State Farm, you can spend literally a few bucks per six months to up the firearms coverage to the max, which is $5000, I think. However, I believe the standard deductible (for many around $500) applies.

Then, you get the personal articles policy for firearms, which is $2 per $100 of coverage, but if I remember correctly, it's zero deductible. You don't have to schedule your firearms unless you want to specifically list some on the firearms riders, with the zero deductible.

So, let's say you wanted $10,000 in total coverage, you would pay a few bucks (literally, maybe $10-20 or something like that) to the maximum amount (let's say it's $5,000, which I think was the case here), and then you buy $5,000 on a personal rider, which costs $100, so you are looking at something like $120 a year, for $10,000 in coverage, with a $500 deductible on one of them. So, if you have a single Glock stolen, and it isn't scheduled to be on the personal rider, then you basically foot the bill yourself, because of the deductible. However, if you are robbed and lose $10,000 worth of guns, you pay the deductible once and get reimbursed for all.

This is one of the reasons I saw so many people recommending Eastern Insurance. No scheduling. $125 to cover the vast majority of people's list of guns ($35,000), $100 deductible per claim/incident, whether one gun or 20, plus covers all of your accessories, glass (optics) and other gear.

Also, you get a 5% discount if you are a member of the NRA (or about a dozen other shooting related organizations). They seem to be a big supporter of the shooting sports, and insure major gun shows and gun stores as well as consumers.

P.S. I am in NO way affiliated with Eastern Insurance, but after spending a lot of time researching home owners insurance options and NRA Armscare Plus, they are not in the same class as Eastern's coverage.

Is the Eastern Insurance policy All Peril or Named Peril coverage? Do they sell outside of the North Eastern area? From what I gather on their web site, they only sell in the NE area only.

The riders/personal articles policy are generally all peril...with zero deductible....most will cover if one just looses a firearm, or drops and breaks a sight or accessory. When you schedule them, you include all the accessories in the replacement cost...all the mags, lights etc. Not trying to sell one or the other, depends on the person's need, but there is a big difference between the two types of policies.

red

Dan_ntx
12-31-2012, 11:26
I had little to no luck here in the South with State Farm...my agent told me that I was unable to get a specific rider for firearms, but that I could raise my "standard" level of content coverage from 120% of my homes value to a higher %. Provided none of my firearms are "collector" pieces (and they aren't) their value is included in the contents coverage.

The only specific items I could get a rider for were jewelry, furs, and electronics over $10k in value. Lucked out of that one too.

Homeowners insurance here on Texas is expensive, but I was assured that I am covered to a level that would replace what I have in the event of loss.

klt1986
12-31-2012, 11:37
Is the Eastern Insurance policy All Peril or Named Peril coverage? Do they sell outside of the North Eastern area? From what I gather on their web site, they only sell in the NE area only.

The riders/personal articles policy are generally all peril...with zero deductible....most will cover if one just looses a firearm, or drops and breaks a sight or accessory. When you schedule them, you include all the accessories in the replacement cost...all the mags, lights etc. Not trying to sell one or the other, depends on the person's need, but there is a big difference between the two types of policies.

red

According to their FAQ's they offer the firearms insurance in every state.

I'm switching my homeowners policy to another company that offered a better rate and doubled my firearms coverage.

redbaron007
12-31-2012, 11:45
According to their FAQ's they offer the firearms insurance in every state.

I'm switching my homeowners policy to another company that offered a better rate and doubled my firearms coverage.

Here is the company (http://www.easternmutual.com/) I was reviewing. Is it the same one you are?

red

redbaron007
12-31-2012, 11:47
I had little to no luck here in the South with State Farm...my agent told me that I was unable to get a specific rider for firearms, but that I could raise my "standard" level of content coverage from 120% of my homes value to a higher %. Provided none of my firearms are "collector" pieces (and they aren't) their value is included in the contents coverage.

The only specific items I could get a rider for were jewelry, furs, and electronics over $10k in value. Lucked out of that one too.

Homeowners insurance here on Texas is expensive, but I was assured that I am covered to a level that would replace what I have in the event of loss.

Check with another SF agent...they sell the personal articles policy.

red

vart
12-31-2012, 12:19
USAA offers a VPP(Valuable Personal Property) policy that I have for my firearms. My HO policy is through State Farm, which included $2k for firearms.

I now have $16k of coverage on scheduled firearms(I list each gun w/ serial number, accesories, and value) that covers all my guns for loss, theft, damage from idiots handling them, with no deductible for about $15 a month.

USAA caters to current and former military and their family members...

klt1986
12-31-2012, 13:52
Here is the company (http://www.easternmutual.com/) I was reviewing. Is it the same one you are?

red

No, here is the one that was previously mentioned:

www.historicfirearms.com

klt1986
12-31-2012, 13:54
USAA offers a VPP(Valuable Personal Property) policy that I have for my firearms. My HO policy is through State Farm, which included $2k for firearms.

I now have $16k of coverage on scheduled firearms(I list each gun w/ serial number, accesories, and value) that covers all my guns for loss, theft, damage from idiots handling them, with no deductible for about $15 a month.

I actually wound up switching my insurance to USAA. Was very surprised at their rates.

klt1986
12-31-2012, 13:56

The insurance from Historic Firearms will give you $35,000 worth of coverage for $125/year.

shadow_dog
12-31-2012, 14:25
I have State Farm and asked my agent about the coverage amount I wanted. I went with the insurance thru the NRA, it was a lot cheaper for the coverage I wanted.

redbaron007
12-31-2012, 21:51
The insurance from Historic Firearms will give you $35,000 worth of coverage for $125/year.

From reading on their web site, I'd like to see what their policy says. My impression is their niche is for historic type collections. They do use the term sportsman; however, I'd like to know how THEY define it. Just my first impressions, it's not for the everyday gun owner.....However, I could be wrong...hence why I'd like to see their policy. I've seen companies use somewhat common terminology and only insure 'collections' with a definition defined by the company and it not fit the common gunowner....plus they have been secondary coverage. Just my .02. :whistling:

red

Shiloh228
01-04-2013, 15:35
Anyone recommend any specific firearms insurance companies? I'm in the NRA and my homeowners covers some but it's still not enough. The extra "rider" on my homeowners policy is going up and I'd like to shop around. Any suggestions?
I know there are a lot of replies to this regarding loss of the firearm.

Any thoughts/opinions/expertise about liability insurance? Does owning a firearm require additional liability insurance?

pipedreams
01-05-2013, 09:41
Just my opinion but I would not claim or ask about firearms on a homeowners policy. Some insurance companies have canceled homeowners policies because of the breed of dog you own and I could see the same thing happening with firearms in the current political environment. Once you have told your agent or company you have firearms they could all of a sudden or in the future find that a reason to cancel you or up your premium. I prefer a separate policy such as the NRA offers since that is strictly between me and them.

redbaron007
01-05-2013, 20:39

Any thoughts/opinions/expertise about liability insurance? Does owning a firearm require additional liability insurance?

Nope....however, depending on your assets, you may want to make sure you have enough liability to protect yourself.

camelotkid
01-05-2013, 20:43

your personal liability coverage in your homeowners insurance will not cover you in a shooting. It is an intentional act. (I am an insurance agent)

redbaron007
01-05-2013, 20:45
Just my opinion but I would not claim or ask about firearms on a homeowners policy. Some insurance companies have canceled homeowners policies because of the breed of dog you own and I could see the same thing happening with firearms in the current political environment. Once you have told your agent or company you have firearms they could all of a sudden or in the future find that a reason to cancel you or up your premium. I prefer a separate policy such as the NRA offers since that is strictly between me and them.

I have heard about these rumors......although I have never seen/heard an insurance company do it....that is regarding guns.

As for dogs, yes insurance companies have had some underwriting guidelines for vicious dogs, depending on the claims experience; but most have realized all breeds bite.

red