Need help picking between two 1911's [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking between two 1911's

mpw003
12-30-2012, 21:41
I am Stashing some money aside and have been considering a 1911 purchase. I have owned a handful of pistols, XD, M&P and Glocks. I always seem to go back to the glock. My experience with a 1911 is very limited. I have personally never had any issues with a 1911 but have heard all the "horror stories" about how unreliable they are and not really considered buying one until recently. I am torn between the Kimber Custom II and the SA Range Officer. If you had to pick, which one and why? I would like to get some opinions from people who do/did own either of the two. Thanks for the input.

Steel Head
12-30-2012, 22:14
Absolutely love my Range officer!

FLIPPER 348
12-30-2012, 22:28
Absolutely the one made in USA!

fnfalman
12-31-2012, 01:48
I'd take a Colt, but between those two, I'd take the Springfield. I trust Brazilian workers more than New Yorkers.

glock2740
12-31-2012, 07:53
I trust Brazilian workers more than New Yorkers.
:rofl:Not poking fun at you fn, but I thought that was funny. Also not trying to start an argument, just asking why you say that?

mpw003
12-31-2012, 09:27
Steel Head: How many rounds have you fired thru it and is it picky about the kind of ammo u put thru it?

FullClip
12-31-2012, 10:06
Absolutely the one made in USA!

:thumbsup:

I'd go for the Kimber too, given the choice of one or the other. But I wouldn't worry too much if I had to deal with the Springfield unit.

And even though I HATE the NY Yankees, I've bought a few Kimbers and have had nothing but good luck with them.

itstime
12-31-2012, 10:12
Range officer for me. Personal preference.

Steel Head
12-31-2012, 10:46
Steel Head: How many rounds have you fired thru it and is it picky about the kind of ammo u put thru it?

I just started reloading so I've been able to shoot it a lot.
Maybe 700rounds now.
200+ win white box
50 brass blazers
150+ American eagle
100 plus various HP including some+p
And 150 various reloads.
The only thing it balked on was some very mild and very short 185 jhp reloads.

Spiffums
12-31-2012, 11:25
I have had 3 1911s in my life time. An old beat up Gold Cup National Match that I sold (I know I know i was a dumb ass kid of 24 what didn't I know then!) and a Kimber series 1 and a TLE II.

I say get the Range Officer.

alwaysshootin
12-31-2012, 11:45
Between those two, I'd choose the Kimber hands down. If you threw Colt into the mix, it would still be between the Kimber, and Springfield, and of course my pick would still be the Kimber. There is nothing wrong with the Springfield, I just prefer Kimber. For under $800 for an American made 1911, the Kimber Custom II gets my money every time.

ca survivor
12-31-2012, 13:06
Range Officer!

BuckyP
12-31-2012, 13:13
I have had 3 1911s in my life time. An old beat up Gold Cup National Match that I sold (I know I know i was a dumb ass kid of 24 what didn't I know then!) and a Kimber series 1 and a TLE II.

I say get the Range Officer.

There you have it. A Kimber owner recommending a Springfield. It would be my pick as well, between the two.

ETA: HAD one Kimber, Have two Springfields.

alwaysshootin
12-31-2012, 13:26
There you have it. A Kimber owner recommending a Springfield. It would be my pick as well, between the two.

ETA: HAD one Kimber, Have two Springfields.

Here is the solution! Go to where they have one of each, grasp one at a time in your hand, and shake. The one that doesn't rattle, buy it. You will be happy with the Kimber!:supergrin:

mpw003
12-31-2012, 13:31
I just started reloading so I've been able to shoot it a lot.
Maybe 700rounds now.
200+ win white box
50 brass blazers
150+ American eagle
100 plus various HP including some+p
And 150 various reloads.
The only thing it balked on was some very mild and very short 185 jhp reloads.

I reload for .40s&w and i'm sure if i step up to the major league i will start to load .45. Thanks for the info.

fnfalman
12-31-2012, 14:40
:rofl:Not poking fun at you fn, but I thought that was funny. Also not trying to start an argument, just asking why you say that?

Because my IMBEL guns are pretty sweet (SAR-48 and GI), while something about the Kimber that really cranks me the wrong way. :dunno:

SpringerTGO
12-31-2012, 15:19
Some of the people have for recommending Kimber over Springfield are pretty funny.

Saying "buy American" on a site named after Austrian weapons is amusing. Would the same poster be against H&K, German and Swiss Sigs, Walther, FN, Berreta, Holland & Holland, and Purdey, just to name a few?

How about the "shake it and see which one rattles" post? I would think reliability and accuracy would be more important. Especially in a 1911. Kimber won't even talk to a customer for warranty repair until the gun has 500 rounds through it. Maybe that tight fitting isn't so great, if the gun won't shoot reliably out of the box.

And speaking of warranty, Kimber's service and warranty is light years behind Springfield.

alwaysshootin
12-31-2012, 16:08
Some of the people have for recommending Kimber over Springfield are pretty funny.

And speaking of warranty, Kimber's service and warranty is light years behind Springfield.

The only thing that would make the Kimber recommenders funnier is if one of their usernames was KimberTGO! LOL

As far as Kimber warranty, and service, after owning six, never needed to use either. So I can't say if they are light years behind. Of course never used Springfields either. They both seem to be good quality.

To the original poster. Not sure of the pricing of the two, that you are considering, in your area, but around here, the RO, is $200 more than the Custom II. For me it's a no brainer. Even if they were priced the same. But, they are not! Heck you could even step up to the Kimber Target, and still be a hundred bucks cheaper. Or, you could get the Stainless Target II, and be priced identical.

MrMurphy
12-31-2012, 16:30
I'd take a Springfield over an -II generation Kimber.

Kimbers used to be excellent, the II series guns have more QC issues. Enough so some well known 1911smiths won't touch Kimbers (or Para-Ordnances, having the same issue) by choice, in a few cases, at all.

I'd take a Colt over either. Other alternatives are Ruger, Dan Wesson and Remington in the new and not terribly screwed up category.

bac1023
12-31-2012, 16:30
I like the Custom II, but would probably opt for the RO if push came to shove. Its the one without a stupid firing pin safety, for starters.

QNman
12-31-2012, 16:36
I reload for .40s&w and i'm sure if i step up to the major league i will start to load .45. Thanks for the info.

Loading .45 is absolutely no different than loading .40

Ruggles
12-31-2012, 17:44
Can't go wrong with either. I would go with the R.O. at this point. But with a little more saving and time I would go with a Kimber TLE. For between $900 and $975 I think it is one of if not the best under $1000 1911 for the money right now.

Nestor
12-31-2012, 17:55
Won't buy anything Kimber as they are refusing to provide any service help to the legal gun owners in Canada.
I own Springfield though and I quite like it, so my advice is to go with SA.

SpringerTGO
12-31-2012, 18:16
The only thing that would make the Kimber recommenders funnier is if one of their usernames was KimberTGO! LOL

As far as Kimber warranty, and service, after owning six, never needed to use either. So I can't say if they are light years behind. Of course never used Springfields either. They both seem to be good quality.

To the original poster. Not sure of the pricing of the two, that you are considering, in your area, but around here, the RO, is $200 more than the Custom II. For me it's a no brainer. Even if they were priced the same. But, they are not! Heck you could even step up to the Kimber Target, and still be a hundred bucks cheaper. Or, you could get the Stainless Target II, and be priced identical.

My name isn't KimberTGO because I was foolish enough to buy a Kimber, and it was junk. After wasting almost 500 rounds of ammo for "break-in" Kimber agreed to repair it. Almost 2 months later, my Kimber was returned from service, just as good as new! In other words, unreliable.

I've also dealt with Springfield warranty repair. They have never taken more than a few days, and they always solved the problem.

As far as price goes, so what if a comparable Springfield is a few $'s more. At least they work. And if there is a problem, Springfield will pay shipping and stand behind it.

Short Cut
12-31-2012, 18:27
Springfield's Custom Shop sells to notch stuff, but imo, in the lower price range, Kimber makes the more consistently good pistol.

owtlaw
12-31-2012, 18:57
I own 3 Kimbers. I also have a nighthawk. I have owned 4 springfields. I also have a Ruger SR1911. I really did not like my Springers. Truth told. I like my Ruger the best. It is certainly not fit and finished like a Nighthawk or a kimber. However it shoots great. It eats anything and everything I throw at it. It isn't finicky about which mags i use. And at a cost less than 700.00. Im not afraid to run it like a rented circus pony. Just my $.02

matt_lowry123
12-31-2012, 19:26
I have a kimber gold match 2 and a range officer. Both are target pistols and both shoot great (better than me). This is how I see it. If you're not ever going to do anything to the gun, then buy the one you like best. If you think you're ever going to send it to get some work done, get the RO.

Springfield has great CS!! My M1A had a problem with the ejector and they fixed it free and fast!! I've never had an issue with any of their pistols. I've never had to use Kimbers CS, so I can't comment on that one.

mpw003
12-31-2012, 19:30
I dont intend to use this as a EDC, just a target pistol and maybe an IDPA match here and there. I usually run my glock, same as my EDC. I am big on good customer service and SA seems to get better reviews in that department

rhino673
12-31-2012, 19:43
I decided to go with a R.O. I have been extremely happy with it so far. It is unbelievably accurate and I have probably put 1000ish rounds through it so far. The only thing it didn't like to feed was some old 185 grain SWC hand loads. Everything else has been flawless.

I did have to replace the black front sight with a trijicon front sight. My eyes had trouble picking up the front sight under dim light conditions.

faawrenchbndr
12-31-2012, 20:03
The Range Officer hands down,.......but I HATE that darn target sight!

rohanreginald
12-31-2012, 20:13
I can honestly say that my springfield gi is my most reliable pistol I own moreso than my sig and glocks. I would get the springer.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

alwaysshootin
01-01-2013, 01:21
My name isn't KimberTGO because I was foolish enough to buy a Kimber, and it was junk. After wasting almost 500 rounds of ammo for "break-in" Kimber agreed to repair it. Almost 2 months later, my Kimber was returned from service, just as good as new! In other words, unreliable.

I've also dealt with Springfield warranty repair. They have never taken more than a few days, and they always solved the problem.

As far as price goes, so what if a comparable Springfield is a few $'s more. At least they work. And if there is a problem, Springfield will pay shipping and stand behind it.

Considering you seem to have problems with most firearms, and, have had to send both brands back, and have had better experience with sending back to Springfield, by all means stay with Springfield. I on the other hand haven't had a problem with either, and find the Kimber to be far superior in fit and finish. Not to mention, more for the money, I will keep my Kimbers that run flawless. For the money, there is no better 1911 that I've owned. Sorry your experience hasn't been the same! For what it's worth, I've owned both I and II series, and I couldn't ask more in craftsmanship, reliability, and accuracy, out of the box than Kimber offers. Hope everyone that chooses a Kimber has my experience!!!

matt_lowry123
01-01-2013, 06:55
Considering you seem to have problems with most firearms, and, have had to send both brands back, and have had better experience with sending back to Springfield, by all means stay with Springfield. I on the other hand haven't had a problem with either, and find the Kimber to be far superior in fit and finish. Not to mention, more for the money, I will keep my Kimbers that run flawless. For the money, there is no better 1911 that I've owned. Sorry your experience hasn't been the same! For what it's worth, I've owned both I and II series, and I couldn't ask more in craftsmanship, reliability, and accuracy, out of the box than Kimber offers. Hope everyone that chooses a Kimber has my experience!!!

What, "more for the money do you get?"

SpringerTGO
01-01-2013, 08:06

Problems with "most firearms"?
I've been shooting for over 40 years, and have posted about problems with Kimber, Nighthawk, and Springfield. Both the Springfield and Nighthawk had common problems with their ambi safety (the Nighthawk had another issue). Springfield purchased a replacement from Wilson, paid shipping both ways, and repaired it. Nighthawk didn't. My Kimber was unreliable, and after 2 months Kimber didn't fix it.
I've owned (and currently own) LOTS of other brands, which have worked flawlessly. And if you think Kimber has superior fit and finish to a high end Springfield, you've been drinking way too much of their cool aid.

It's great you got some reliable Kimbers. I hear they let those slip out of the factory on occasion. The fact you haven't had a gun or 3 that weren't reliable only means you haven't owned that many guns, or actually used the ones you own.

SpringerTGO
01-01-2013, 08:06
this was a duplicate post

klmmicro
01-01-2013, 08:38
My cousin and I both own Kimbers and neither of us has had any problem with them. He has the TLE II that is his duty weapon. I opted for the Custom II and added my preferred night sights and panels. Otherwise, but pistols are as they were out of the box. Both have been utterly reliable as the pistols themselves go.

I have shot competition with mine and it has eaten every round that I have fed it so far. The only issue I have had was with a single Wilson Combat mag that was rectified by WC. I have shot plenty of Ranger T, Gold Dot, Federal HST in practice and training and have never had a single jam or misfeed since the magazine issue was solved.

I worked on a range and did come across several Kimber owners that had an issue with their pistols. It seems there was a run of series 2 pistols where the spur that releases the firing pin safety had a problem. Either it was malformed or too short, but it would require a "death grip" to get the pistols to shoot. Have not heard of this in any Kimber for the past 5 years, but my world is small.

I considered the Springfield and appraised it to be a fine weapon. I did have a personal problem with the "rattle" in the three that I could have purchased and so I opted to leave them on the self. Not saying that there is anything actually wrong with them, but I guess I expect more from an $800 firearm.

For what you way you will use your 1911 for, either would be a great choice. The 1911 world is often a finicky one. I learned long ago that brand loyalty can become something of a religion to some. Pick up the one that suits your fancy and you will go wrong with neither. The main thing, enjoy which ever one you decide on!

alwaysshootin
01-01-2013, 08:49
What, "more for the money do you get?"

That's easy. Considering the three, Kimber, Springfield, and Colt.

The Kimber Custom II, which retails for $729, the bottom of the Kimber lineup, comes with,

extended beaver tail, and safety
match grade barrel, and bushing
lowered, and flared, ejection port
Fixed low profile, dove tailed sights

Which model springer, or colt comes with those feature first off. Second, how far up their line up do you have to go to get those features, and lastly, what is the cost in those features?

Hence my statement, that for the money, Kimber is the best value.

HexHead
01-01-2013, 08:58
I too would pick a Colt in a heartbeat over either. But since the question was between those two, I'd take the Springfield. I'd rather have their Ti firing pin answer to a firing pin safety than the Swarz system Kimber uses. I had two Kimbers, and having to be careful not to depress the grip safety when removing/replacing the slide is a PITA.

matt_lowry123
01-01-2013, 09:50
That's easy. Considering the three, Kimber, Springfield, and Colt.

The Kimber Custom II, which retails for $729, the bottom of the Kimber lineup, comes with,

extended beaver tail, and safety
match grade barrel, and bushing
lowered, and flared, ejection port
Fixed low profile, dove tailed sights

Which model springer, or colt comes with those feature first off. Second, how far up their line up do you have to go to get those features, and lastly, what is the cost in those features?

Hence my statement, that for the money, Kimber is the best value.

You left out the FLGR!!!

MajorD
01-01-2013, 11:14
My personal snobbery is I like my 1911 made in the USA- with the exception of one les Baer all my 1911's over the last. 30 years have been colts.
Two things I don't like a out your choices-
Spring fields advertising is very deceptive concealing the fact all they sell if foreign made product.
Kimber sells with a marketing program that shuts out small dealers- my local guy wanted to offer them and and limber requires you to spend an Initial investment of 25,000 in an inventory package to be a dealer- most small shops can't hAndle that.
Kimber spotty qc and cust service is not very comforting either.
My choice between those two brands is neither

alwaysshootin
01-01-2013, 11:25
You left out the FLGR!!!

Yes I did, thank you very much. I stand corrected!:wavey: