BX-25 magazine feed problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : BX-25 magazine feed problems

Kloogee
12-30-2012, 22:47
Anybody else have any problems with the Ruger BX-25 magazines failing to feed properly on your 10/22s? I just picked up my first 10/22 this week and picked up a BX-25 at the same time. I went to the range to do some plinking and had 3 of 25 rounds fail to feed properly from the BX-25 mag. I shot probably another 100-150 rounds with absolutely no problems from the standard 10 round mag.

I thought I've read everybody has had good success with the BX-25s. Did I pick up a dud?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

DJ Niner
12-31-2012, 01:47
I don't want to sound like a kool-aid drinker, but as far as my experience with these mags goes, it's far more likely that you got a few damaged/bent/out-of-spec cartridges. Did you try only one type/brand of ammo, or several that you have used successfully in this gun in the past?

I had a similar problem not too long ago, with CCI ammo (!), and it turned out that the rounds had been exposed to excessive heat at some point. The bullet lube had run down to the tip of the bullet and re-solidified, making the round too long to feed up and out of the mag. I had a heck of a time trying to figure out the problem; finally, I got a hint when another round from the same ammo box jammed-up inside one of my transparent factory 10-shot mags. I could see the flattened lube on the bullet nose through the mag sidewall, and when I checked the rounds I'd had the previous problem with, I found they had the same lube build-up on the bullet nose. Wiped the bullets off with a rag, reloaded the mag, pop-pop-pop, no further problems.

If you can't get it to work with other known-to-be-reliable-in-that-gun ammo, then I'd send it back to Ruger with a note describing the problem. I'm pretty sure they'll take care of you and make it right.

MAC702
12-31-2012, 01:51
I've got two BX-25s that I've run flawlessly with Federal Bulk Packs and CCI MiniMags.

Kloogee
12-31-2012, 07:34
I don't want to sound like a kool-aid drinker, but as far as my experience with these mags goes, it's far more likely that you got a few damaged/bent/out-of-spec cartridges. Did you try only one type/brand of ammo, or several that you have used successfully in this gun in the past?

As mentioned, it is a brand new gun, so it has no history with anything else. All bullets came out of a single Federal bulk pack. I might agree with you on bad rounds had the standard 10-round mags had any feed problems. But 3 feed failures in 25 on the BX25 vs 0 feed failures in approx 150 rounds with the standard mag is a bit suspicious. I know it's a small sample size, and could have just been chance....

Also, when loading the mags, I usually keep a pretty good eye on the cartridges and didn't notice anything. But it is entirely possible I could have overlooked something.

Anyways, just curious if anybody else has had feed problems with them. Thanks.

RJHUB
12-31-2012, 09:49
Make sure the mag is seated well. Pop it out and back in.
and make sure not to prop on it or hold it. It can move
after it is installed, being that long.
Ruger should take care of you if you cant get to work.

I have 4 and friends use them. Very few problems once they are running.

ArmoryDoc
12-31-2012, 11:51
Just a reminder, rap the back of the mag on the palm of your hand several times before inserting in the mag well. Helps get them seated for better transition on the rise through the mag body.

dkf
12-31-2012, 12:50
Probably would not hurt to take it apart (as per the directions) and clean it. Could be some plastic flashing, dirt or something in there from manufacturing or something. Inspect the parts while. Put more rounds through the mag

The BX-25 is regarded as the most reliable 25 rounder on the market for the 10/22.

Kloogee
12-31-2012, 14:26
Just a reminder, rap the back of the mag on the palm of your hand several times before inserting in the mag well. Helps get them seated for better transition on the rise through the mag body.

I'll give that a try if I continue having problems. Thanks!

Kloogee
12-31-2012, 14:28
Probably would not hurt to take it apart (as per the directions) and clean it. Could be some plastic flashing, dirt or something in there from manufacturing or something. Inspect the parts while. Put more rounds through the mag

The BX-25 is regarded as the most reliable 25 rounder on the market for the 10/22.

I may give that a try. I can see how that might be an issue.

That is exactly why I went with the BX-25 is because I'd read all the good reports on them.

deathpriest
12-31-2012, 16:24
I have one, flawless. A friend has one I had to sand the feeding ramp portion of the mag as it showed some bump/burin mine did not. I light sanding with oil, wiped down with silicone cloth, 150 flawless rounds after, no malfunctions yet.